Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 3rd June 2020, 15:18   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Bikers fined illegally, but local media portrays the situation as a movie chase praising the pol

Sad state of things indeed. Sorry to hear about the bikers predicament. There is no reason to hold people up for 5- 6hrs and cause crowding during these times. If they wanted to fine, they could have just booked, fined and let them go with warning.

Considering that the 'offenses', did not have anything to do with the lockdown and that the cops made a cool lakh and half of fine collection, what is there to stop them doing this in the future even during non-lockdown times ?.
As far as I see it -they have tasted blood and an easy kill. If I were a biker on that stretch I would be wary for the next couple of months atleast, or maybe even longer henceforth. I only hope other police forces do not start getting inspired.

Cheerio!.
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:06   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Bikers fined illegally, but local media portrays the situation as a movie chase praising the pol

I would say that here we are hearing only one side of the story. Did we reach out to to police what are all the evidence they had. I don't think any of the police will be so stupid to catch hold 50+ bikers for so long. (At least this kind of an operation would have known to ACP level). I strongly feel that we should have reached out to the police and recorded there statement as well and published that also here.
anumod is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
I would say that here we are hearing only one side of the story. Did we reach out to to police what are all the evidence they had. I don't think any of the police will be so stupid to catch hold 50+ bikers for so long. (At least this kind of an operation would have known to ACP level). I strongly feel that we should have reached out to the police and recorded there statement as well and published that also here.
The cops in Bangalore are little more than sanctioned thugs. There is absolutely no justification for this kind of conduct, especially without adequate proof. They are known for the way they bully civilians, there have even been documented cases of police brutality on the streets. Several years ago, I have seen a friend get caned before my very eyes at 2:00 AM when a group of us where hanging out having a Chai after hitting the bars. We had a laugh about it then, but reflecting back on that nigh, I am horrified today. No one was driving drunk or in any state of inebriation, it wasn't against to law to indulge in a tea. We were all minding our own business not creating trouble for anyone. The cop had no right to do that other than the fact that he was a cop. I have been fined multiple times for being the first person to cross a green light at a signal with the challan saying it was red. Police statement? It isn't worth the time or effort.
imp! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:34   #49
BHPian

Atrocious and high handed behaviour by the stupid police guys. At the same time, there are every chance that at least one gone over the speed limit. But keeping 49 bikers for that many hours is unwarranted and this is simply police arrogance, as they do in many other areas, not just in traffic management. This need to be dealt with some legal action against them if the guys have done nothing wrong. Suggestion is to avoid group riding first of all, in this scenario. But there is no guarantee that police goons will not do this in the normal time. The most annoying fact is that these idiots think protective gears or a bigger bike or sports bike means he is a racer! That is what I couldn't figure out how and why! They need to be educated.
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:35   #50
BHPian

Sorry if I sound rude. While the itch to hit the highways is understandable after being stuck at home for quite some time, this doesn't really feel like the right time to go for joyrides. It may send the wrong message while the roads are opening for necessary purposes. The locals may feel offended as most of them would have had a struggling time during the lockdown and suddenly a bunch of bikers passing through having a good time won't do any good for their morale. A few loud exhausts could draw a lot of negative vibe towards the whole group. If more and more biker groups start hitting the roads, it will only put more pressure on the traffic control and pose health risks if any of them doesn’t follow the guidelines in containing the pandemic.

I'm not supporting the police's action too as they seem to be generalizing superbikers to be a bad bunch. The prejudices against helmets and protective suits are ridiculous. The double standards towards supercars and superbikes are also dumbfounding. The way the news spread in the media is on a whole another level bringing a lot of negative perception towards bikers. While the whole world is going through a lot of sacrifices in containing a pandemic, such incidents and news will do a lot more damage. But all of it could have been avoided if only this ride didn't happen in the first place.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd June 2020 at 16:38. Reason: edited FONT tags
nuew is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:41   #51
BHPian

A well-planned strategy by the Police - detain for hours till all the bikers are tired and without any energy to speak back.

The threat of "detaining" - whether it's a person or vehicle - kick-starts a psychological war in the potential victim's mind. It works all the time. The young, able-bodied youngsters would have fought back if the Police asked for the fine immediately after stopping them. By detaining them for hours, they lost the will to argue or question the fine.
JojyKerala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:26   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

The bikers should have been subjected to a speedgun test by the traffic police in such cases and whosoever was overspeeding beyond the designated speed limits here could have been challaned. Those days are passe when a police constable or an inspector uses his or her judgment to label any road user as a speedster or rash driver. Evidence is the key in such cases.

The misuse of the process of law by the police without using speed guns in such cases can be adjudicated preferably before a competent High Court and in this case it can be a PIL since nearly 50 bikers are involved, contending that they may hunt for many more such gullible victims to cough up illegal fines.
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The misuse of the process of law by the police without using speed guns in such cases can be adjudicated preferably before a competent High Court and in this case it can be a PIL since nearly 50 bikers are involved, contending that they may hunt for many more such gullible victims to cough up illegal fines.
In practice - not even 5-10% would agree to go to court or file a PIL. Reasons are many - modifications on their bike which would make it illegal etc. Besides if you draw too much attention - then Cops would keep speed guns on this stretch and have fun sticking to 50 speed limit.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 23:04   #54
BHPian

As a rider who rode that day and as one who just didn't pay the fine, here is my point of view.

I would preface it by saying that I knew it was risky on a few accounts and the reasons why I still chose to ride and what rules I broke. I understand if people get mad at me, but please be gentle.

My N650 was turning a year old on Sunday (31st May), but it was a total lockdown that day and the bike had been parked since March 9th. I was in touch with Australian folk and was in self isolation for 14 days and thereafter Lockdown 1.0 started and is still continuing till date with certain recommendations.

As we know, batteries discharge with non usage and not running these vehicles for nearly 3 months would effectively kill them. You can't bring groceries on them and a couple of kilometers would do more harm than good anyways.
P.S: I don't mean to say one need to rip the throttle to charge the battery, but it needs some amount of open road to charge.

Having said that, I would also admit that I stayed under 100 kmph after sunrise and around 80-85 before sunrise.
Before sunrise? But how come? 7 PM to 7AM was lockdown right?

Right! I started at 4:30 AM from Bangalore with my friends on an RTR and a Karizma (who wanted to catch a break too) to catch sunrise and avoid other superbikes and supercars and the plan was to be back home by 10 at most.

We met at our usual pitstop and started towards Nelamangala from Yeswantpur and were accompanied by a good amount of traffic within city limits. Roads were relatively empty Nelamangala toll onward with a car or two overtaking us every few kilometers. Our speeds pre-sunrise was 85ish, the reasons being:
1. Low light (other two bikes don't have the best lights or brakes).
2. I'm scared of dogs (having almost died in a crash 6 years ago after hitting a dog on the highway).

We saw sunrise after crossing Kunigal, roughly 10 kilometers before reaching Swathi Delicacy.

Bikers fined illegally, but local media portrays the situation as a movie chase praising the police-img_20200530_05523001-copy.jpeg

We then continued till Mayura which was open with breakfast available in paper plates. Takeaway for us was not an option so we stood by our bikes and had breakfast and soon we were on our way back. I guess it was around 8 AM. We didn't encounter any SBK/supercar until then.

My friends saw a small hillock near Bellur Cross (8-9 km from Mayura towards Bangalore) and wanted to do some soft roading and I followed.

It meant us taking a muddy trail off the highway towards the village but we were always within 2-3 kilometers from the visible patch of highway and soon we heardSBK exhausts.
We even guessed few bikes correctly from exhaust notes.

Now the thing is: exhaust notes are a two edged sword. Most bikers have aftermarket exhausts and that alone makes the bike illegal for road use. Also some are very loud. I believe in keeping things stock but I wouldn't deny they can sound cool to some.
Also one can do 80-100 kmph in 2nd gear and sound godly. People can think that someone is doing 200 kmph just by the sound. Not defending such riders as the soundtrack can be deafening early morning and cause a nuisance but then you don't actually call them recklessly speeding.

I am not speculating. We heard and saw all these bikes go past. A few of them were really fast. And a lot of them not so fast. Speed? I can't say. But most were not as fast as a few others.

We had a good viewpoint on the hillock to witness the action (not captured but towards the top right corner of the below pic).

Bikers fined illegally, but local media portrays the situation as a movie chase praising the police-img_20200530_08212201-copy.jpeg

We merrily chatted and clicked pics for the next 90 minutes or so. This is not a trip log therefore I wouldn't splash the post with pics but I am just saying that from 4:30 AM from my apartment to 9:45 ish AM, we had done some 110 kilometers. And none of those were crazy fast. Remember that I had 2 more bikes and the top speed I touched that day was maybe 101-102. I usually cruise between 4000 to 4500 RPM in 6th (in daylight) and this is that speed.

We then decided to turn back home and that's when cops stopped me but not the 2 other bikes. They had windcheaters on and I was in racing jacket and gloves.

You look like you were racing and we got complaints.
That's what cops told me, these are not my words.

At that point there were only 25 odd bikes. I waited for a while, chatted with one of the inspectors who was jokingly saying to all bikers (who had surrounded a senior cop) that you guys are not maintaining social distancing over here.

I told him that I am not part of this group or whatever group that caused ruckus. But nobody was paying attention. Then another inspector started noting down vehicle numbers starting from the back. I had parked my bike close to the middle. I didn't waste any time in starting my bike and leaving from there.

Note: I didn't accelerate out from there like crazy.

I knew I had videos on my gopro as proof for not overspeeding but at the same time, I was guilty of starting before lockdown was legally lifted time (4:30 AM). But I didn't want to be part of this drama anymore and I got no opposition from cops either. They were only 3-4 and bikers 25, hence maybe they let me go.

I and my friends saw a red Lamborghini tear past like crazy. That was the loudest of them all (1 Lambo, 3 R8s, 2 Porsches). They weren't stopped for whatever reason.

Moral of the story:
1. Battery charged (bike's as well as mine)
2. Technically we did exceed 80 kmph but stayed within 100. Its actually safer on bigger bikes as they can brake better.
3. Cops stopped people on the pretext of racing and causing nuisance but the actual reason could be travel during lockdown. This is a grey area though.
Essential travel is a grey area. I can cross states for essential travel? I mean not everyone has families to pick. No passes needed either.

We were all at the wrong place at the wrong time. And we made mistakes or broke some rules to get there.

<End...>

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 3rd June 2020 at 23:08. Reason: reformatting, spell checks
Divya Sharan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 00:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

I'm not going to get into the debate of lockdown or no lockdown as the challan clearly states that offences as dangerous driving, overspeeding, and not obeying a police officer.

The general perception of the public is that all riders with gear are racing must end. With no proof and a byzantine laws, most riders pay the cops (legally or illegally) to avoid harassment.

The purpose this thread must serve:
1. Police must catch only violators
2. They need proof to book riders for violations
3. They need to sensitized that not all riders with gear are racing

Hope negative publicity will make this part of police training/protocols.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 4th June 2020 at 01:00.
Old 4th June 2020, 02:28   #56
BHPian

The simple question is - Did you disregard current lockdown guidelines or break the law? If yes, there is no further discussion required.

Preconceived notions play an important role. Cops WILL assume superbike/car riders are out to open the throttle.

You can't catch all the fish in the pond - that's the way cops look at it.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 05:34   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaught View Post
Here is a copy of one of the receipts. When asked how the cops could come to the conclusion of over speeding without an interceptor, one of them replied they could judge it just by looking at them
The guy who wrote this challan should have been a doctor, just look at that hand writing! Only a pharmacist can understand it.

With the number of people riding bigger bikes (with gear) increasing so rapidly, this cannot be the norm in regular times. This must be directly related to the lockdown, and I am not sure how we can discard that fact, and blame the entire system. The fact that a receipt was provided, means that they had nothing to benefit personally from all this policing work.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 09:38   #58
BHPian

I have one question though, did the cops follow social distancing while piling up around 50 riders to collect fines? Or those rules do not apply to them?
Have stopped going on group rides for just this reason. Irrespective of the lockdown the cops will stop any biker with riding gear or riding with big groups.
Old 4th June 2020, 09:59   #59
BHPian

The policemen were certainly wrong in imposing a fine to the tune of 3k to all of them. But at the same time the bikers had no business going out on a joy ride during a pandemic lock down even if they maintained "social distancing".

You go out in a group of 50 odd superbikes on a joy ride during a lockdown and expect people not to notice? Also, did they really think that they get a free pass just by saying that all of them were maintaining social distancing. Sounds absurd.
Also, I would give the benefit of doubt to the villagers who complained. We have all seen on youtube how some superbike owners speed with risky maneuvers on roads with traffic, and that is only the part that comes up on youtube, so one can imagine what goes on off youtube. People like this give a bad name to all motorcycle rides or anybody with riding gear on.

My housing complex is right next to Mumbai-Bangalore bypass in Pune. I do not even recall how many times I have woken up from sleep late night and early mornings due to a group of superbikes passing on the highway with their obnoxiously loud aftermarket exhausts.

Even I am having a bad itch to ride, by bike has been idle for more than 2.5 months now. I made sure to start it every Sunday and take it for a spin upto the nearby grocery shop for 2-3 rounds so that it runs a good 2 kms. When the lockdown got relaxed, I took it out a little more further than that. But thats it, no joyrides certainly. This took care of the battery.
ishan12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 10:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedFaith View Post
This is completely hearsay now, but someone who claimed to know what happened said a high court judge was returning to the city from the airport and witnessed this... He apparently gave a dressing down to the cops and they may have reacted this way.
This would be the major reason for this, sometimes the bashing that comes down from a judge does wonders, I remember when Judge Maheshwari went against the posters/flex boards across the city, within a week BBMP acted and shutdown many shops/factories manufacturing them.

A few bad apples amongst the batch is good enough to rot the rest or put the rest in bad light, and that's what would have happened here. Few "enthusiasts" with their SBK would have gunned it on empty roads. Unfortunate situation but it happens.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed