Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2020, 11:59   #76
BHPian

Re: Bikers fined illegally, but local media portrays the situation as a movie chase praising the pol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
None of my friends or me broke any speed limits. We were cruising comfortably between 80-100kmph. Not more than that.
To start with 100 kph is way over the speed limit for bikes on that road. So you should consider that before passing judgment on others' actions.

Quote:
I wouldn’t blame the cops here at all - they did what they had to! Even if I’d got caught in this mix, my opinion will not change. There’s no way cops could catch anyone red handed doing those speeds practically or even validate who did / did not break the rules.
It's not difficult at all to catch these guys red-handed, a speed gun is all that is needed and then flag down all who are overspeeding. Or worst case send them the ticket. No one would question this issue if all the bikers were hauled up with proof, however here they were arbitarily detailed without any cause.
VellVector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 12:54   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bikers fined illegally, but local media portrays the situation as a movie chase praising the pol

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
To start with 100 kph is way over the speed limit for bikes on that road. So you should consider that before passing judgment on others
Mate, I said clearly it was between 80-100 and I never said I was doing 100 kmph all the time. Agreed, it is not an acceptable speed limit but 80 is indeed acceptable on the highway with speed limits mentioned on it. By the way, I wasn’t imposing my thoughts on anyone. I have clearly mentioned it’s my personal opinion. I am no one to judge anyone. I do feel for other bikers who got booked but doing excess speeds on those roads is no way justified. Let’s not continue arguing on this because the forum is for everyone to opine on and there’s no way I targeted any individuals here. It was a general discussion. So let’s rest it here without taking it any further.

Appreciate your advise. Thanks

RV
Old 9th June 2020, 13:05   #78
BHPian

Quote:
I do feel for other bikers who got booked but doing excess speeds on those roads is no way justified.
I don't disagree with you that some lunatics use this particular road like a race track and should definitely be penalized and not with some lame 1000 or even 3000 fine but something more stringent. But as I said earlier, these guys were not caught for that. If all 50 were stopped for overspeeding, so one would give it a second thought.
Old 10th June 2020, 03:42   #79
Senior - BHPian

Bengaluru and its outskirts areas have the worst good cop: bad cop ratio I have ever seen.

Ramanagara was where I had my first run in with them too. I was finishing off my engineering project at a University lab next to the highway and needed some screws from a hardware store. So I got on the highway and parked the bike about 30 feet off the road and started walking towards the hardware store. I turn back and a cop arrives to deflate my tyres within seconds. He demands 500 bucks I said no and he gave me a ticket for parking in a no parking zone. I ask him to show the no parking signboard he says its 200m ahead. In actual the board was 400m ahead next to the bus stand. He deflates a rickshaw tyres and other bikes and leaves casually. The locals told me its a regular thing and the vehicle owners are fleeced everyday by the same cop.

Another day I reach Bengaluru late at night around 10pm all geared up to find my sister's address. Cop stops me and asks for documents and tells me he stopped me because I looked like a chain snatcher in my riding gear. Chain snatchers at near midnight on a cold, empty road? Luckily no bribe was requested as I called my brother in law. The cops were more interested in the fact that I travelled 400kms in the dark to reach their city in less time than a Volvo bus.

Then I was harassed by cops in Indiranagar area who had an issue with my license plate that wasn't as white as he wanted it to be. Yes, the cop would harass me everyday on my way to work for that which made me find alternate routes to work. Luckily my workplace was shutting down operations and I moved out.

I was even fined for accelerating up the flyover ramp from a signal. The flyover had a speed limit of 80kph, I was stopped on the ramp just before I join the flyover at 58kph. Cop said 50kph is the limit within city limits and I was 8kph over it and demanded 1000 bucks. I told him to give me a challan instead which he did for 200.

Its cops like these that make me not want to visit the city that frequently. They see a bright colored sport bike with a fully geared rider, they start seeing money on 2 wheels coming towards them. I thought I would start using a Gopro as a helmet cam but guess what? Cops fine you for that too. Cannot even record using bike mounts or chesty.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 10th June 2020 at 03:47.
Nithesh_M is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 22:43   #80
BHPian

Similar issue in Gurgaon?

Motoroids article - Link

Quote:
In a case from Gurgaon, about 19 superbikes were seized by the police when they were found flouting the Unlock 1.0 norms. The incident happened on Sunday night when a group of high-end motorcycle owners met for a ride. Since the restrictions to go out have now been lifted in a major part of the town, the bikers decided to make up for stationary time and were apparently spotted speeding and stunting on public roads by the area’s DCP who was passing by.

As per some reports, the local police apprehended them and asked them to vacate the area. In return, the members of the group had a verbal altercation with the police and refused to comply to orders following which the police seized all the 19 superbikes and impounded them. It is being said that they were not even allowed to ride the machines to the police station and were made to push these heavy machines for a good distance.
LOL_FWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:11   #81
BHPian

This happened a couple of years back. When I rode my RD from BLR, after entering Mysore via ring road from Bannur road intersection, I was stopped after a couple of kilometers on ring road. The officer told me I was going in excess of 120kph. I told him the bike was not even broken in and had new pistons and cylinders installed the night before and my mechanic was coming in my car a 30 mins behind. I was riding around 60kph when I approached their station. Stock exhaust with no modifications. RD can sound fast but he had no radar gun - nothing. He gave me a lecture on not treating public roads like my own race track. I tried to convince him about my safety gear and the reason I wear it esp. while riding inter-city. But end of the day, I decided to pay and go on my way - he said he will reduced the offence to slight speeding or something to that effect. I was stopped for 15mins - there was absolutely no one else and I did see a Red Jaguar fly past at high speed. I wanted to say something but was tired and wanted to go home.

Last edited by ksanjee : 22nd June 2020 at 19:19.
ksanjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 01:02   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_FWD View Post
Similar issue in Gurgaon?

Motoroids article - Link
In this case they were actually popping wheelies and riding like they were possesed right in front of the Dcp traffic in his official vehicle who was there at that time coincidentally right there, and this particular group is infamous for such acts in the past.!

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 23rd June 2020 at 01:03. Reason: Spell check

Most Viewed