Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 10:16   #61
BHPian

Re: Bikers fined illegally, but local media portrays the situation as a movie chase praising the pol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
2. Technically we did exceed 80 kmph but stayed within 100. Its actually safer on bigger bikes as they can brake better.
3. Cops stopped people on the pretext of racing and causing nuisance but the actual reason could be travel during lockdown. This is a grey area though.
Essential travel is a grey area. I can cross states for essential travel? I mean not everyone has families to pick. No passes needed either.

We were all at the wrong place at the wrong time. And we made mistakes or broke some rules to get there.

<End...>
Hi thank you for your honest post .. As per the Indian Motor vehicle act , motorcycles should go at a max of 60 KMPH https://pib.gov.in/Pressreleaseshare.aspx?PRID=1539335 within municipal limits (And the above incident happened in municipal limits https://ramanagara.nic.in/en/police/. Look for Kudur police station and they are in rural limit)
anumod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 10:37   #62
BANNED

Re: Bikers fined illegally, but local media portrays the situation as a movie chase praising the pol

Superbike riders not exceeding the speed limit is a rare occurrence. During these difficult times, it would be good if people can avoid going on needless joyrides on superbikes and supercars.
Social responsibility is the need of the hour. The police are working for us under very taxing conditions and it would be best not to test their patience.
I appreciate the cops for their approach.
fiestarry is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 10:46   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Superbike riders not exceeding the speed limit is a rare occurrence. During these difficult times, it would be good if people can avoid going on needless joyrides on superbikes and supercars.
Social responsibility is the need of the hour. The police are working for us under very taxing conditions and it would be best not to test their patience.
I appreciate the cops for their approach.
As mentioned by many fellow bhpians, what you say is 100% correct. They should be fined for violating Lock down instructions.

But punishing them for disobedience, over-speeding(without proof), modifications(mind you some were stock bikes) is totally ridiculous.

On the other side it is better to let go this incident, As they say it is not wise to have friendship and enmity with police officers.
Vasuki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 11:56   #64
BHPian

Bikers fined illegally, but local media portrays the situation as a movie chase praising the police-cars.jpg

I was on Hassan highway that day and saw this bunch of supercars. Apparently, the police did not stop these cars but stopped only the bikers and that's when some bikers got angry which led to "disobedience to police" charges.
anshumandun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 12:22   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Apparently, the police did not stop these cars but stopped only the bikers and that's when some bikers got angry which led to "disobedience to police" charges.
It's quite obvious and known that the cops perceive supercar owners as rich, influential, and 'connected' people and wouldn't dare mess with them. Also, why would they, when there are rich-enough-to-be-extorted soft targets in the form of bikers!
Added_flavor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 12:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Hi thank you for your honest post .. As per the Indian Motor vehicle act , motorcycles should go at a max of 60 KMPH within municipal limits (And the above incident happened in municipal limits. Look for Kudur police station and they are in rural limit)
While there might be no contesting the speed limits with respect to your links, I feel posting them as references to pin-point even a slight deviation from them would imply you have never crossed the limits. Though I found a couple of posts in your older threads where you say you have touched 140 and found difficulty in going beyond that and I'm pretty sure nowhere in India can you do above 120 at best (Please take this lightly as my intention isn't to go to war with anyone on this forum)

Guys, just one request here. Everyone who has posted including those in favor of the bikers have all accepted that some of these guys are dangerous and bring a bad name to the entire biking community. No one is disputing that. But at the same time there are a lot of us who do ride safe. When the roads are empty I think everyone of us have that itch to go just a little bit faster. Enjoying that adrenaline rush would definitely be one of the things because of which we bond in this forum. If all of us followed the rules to the t, then we might as well forget about our prized possessions four/two wheels or live right next to one of the three or four race tracks in the entire country to fuel that itch

It is just a two-sided coin. There are people who drive/ride sensibly keeping in mind that there are various factors that come into play when we are on the road, which we know may not be in our control. We just ensure we do our best to not put ourselves or others in danger. At the same time there are idiots who drive/ride like the road belongs to just them and sadly most of the times these guys go scot-free.
Juggernaught is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 14:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

I was on this road cycling along with a friend. We had been to Huliyurdurga as mt friend had some work to be finished on his agricultural land. So this visit was an essential one, just we chose the mode of transportation to be eco-friendly cycle.

We saw several superbikes and cars zipping towards Hassan initially. All were doing triple digits and my guess would be speed band of 120-150kmph easily. At no time they did not look like following the speed limit.

By the time I passed Solur, these guys were probably returning towards city and were rounded up. From a distance, I thought it was an accident (I was expecting one seeing the speeds they had been doing). Then realised the cops had rounded them and felt good this actually happened. The super cars were low in number and may have been lucky to escape.

As most said, this is not the time for jolly rides. If doing one, at least be discreet and not in groups. The moral responsibility seems to have gone for a toss.

All the time in our cycle ride, we were apprehensive what if police stop/question us ane etc. My friend was carrying some paperwork part of his work at his village. In fact in Magadi, police did question where we are from, where we are headed and why during our onward ride previous day

Last edited by funkykar : 4th June 2020 at 14:31.
funkykar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:27   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post

We saw several superbikes and cars zipping towards Hassan initially. All were doing triple digits and my guess would be speed band of 120-150kmph easily. At no time they did not look like following the speed limit.
Please tell me how do you deduce the speed without speed gun. Just curious.

I'm not defending any of these morons, but often due the modified exhaust, a perception of high speeds is created.

Last edited by Vasuki : 4th June 2020 at 16:29.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:38   #69
Senior - BHPian

I have been on the highways enough to be able to reasonably guess certain speeds. What i have said is also an approximate.

Only good thing i had observed was, they were not rash, just fast.

Its as simple as:
You see general traffic on the highways doing their usual speeds. Then suddenly from.a distance or say no where, some bikes come zipping and overtaking all the traffic and disappear, it doesnt need a speed gun to say they have been speeding. Also, the stretches around here are long with good visibility. When they disappear very soon and you see other traffic as if they were still objects, its not difficult to say they are in high speeds in excess of 100

I also am aware of exhaust sounds. I too had a modified exhaust on my RX. A 60 speed seemed 100 to pillion. I totally get your point. But relative to other vehicles, these guys were way too fast. I wish someone posts dashcam video if any of these bikers, the one that records speeds also.

In fact, any sunday morning is like this on this road. When they zip by, you can approximately guess their speed relative to yours.

I was more conscious and observant is as i was on a bicycle and fear that some of their actions could push other traffic towards us and put us in a spot.

2 wrong things they did as per me:

1. Morally not following essential travel during Lockdown
2. Overspeeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Please tell me how do you deduce the speed without speed gun. Just curious.

I'm not defending any of these morons, but often due the modified exhaust, a perception of high speeds is created.

Last edited by funkykar : 4th June 2020 at 16:52.
funkykar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 17:16   #70
Senior - BHPian

I was there on the same day but luckily neither me nor my friends group got caught in this mix because we were informed by a group who was caught already. So we rested for nearly 2-3 hours at the marakohalli dam and then took a detour to reach bangalore via Magadi road.

While this was surely fun to ride the bike after a long hibernation, I do discourage the speeds those riders we saw on the road were doing - they were easily doing 180+ putting almost everyone in danger. It takes just a millisecond to turn a fun ride to a dangerous unpleasant moment. We all know we were out after a long time just because the bikes needed to flex their muscle that was on rest for a long time. None of my friends or me broke any speed limits. We were cruising comfortably between 80-100kmph. Not more than that.

But, it was pure irresponsible behavior displayed on road that caught everyone’s attention unnecessarily which also made those who followed speed discipline also be charged with hefty tickets.

I wouldn’t blame the cops here at all - they did what they had to! Even if I’d got caught in this mix, my opinion will not change. There’s no way cops could catch anyone red handed doing those speeds practically or even validate who did / did not break the rules. So they charged anyone and everyone with no proof of essential travel. Ideally, this is relaxation of lockdown and it wasn’t an essential travel for me as well. Joy ride for the bikes were needed but the speeds and manic sounds piss off the locals. One thing is cops should’ve caught and booked those sports cars too.

Purely my honest opinion. No offense to anyone on this.

Regards

RV
gururajrv is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:46   #71
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I wouldn’t blame the cops here at all - they did what they had to! Even if I’d got caught in this mix, my opinion will not change. There’s no way cops could catch anyone red handed doing those speeds practically or even validate who did / did not break the rules. So they charged anyone and everyone with no proof of essential travel.
So how will they differentiate a law abiding rider from this crowd? Or is it okay if innocents also have to pay 3000Rs or so as a fine? I sure as hell dont want to pay for others mistakes. If cops had got complaints about speeding, all they had to do was go out there with a speed gun & fine all those riders under the proper IPC with proof. The bikers might have broke the law but the cops did a really poor job here. They made it into a lazy money grab operation.

BTW isn't 100kmph over the speed limit for 2 wheelers?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th June 2020 at 20:18. Reason: Minor typo.
RMN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 20:52   #72
BHPian

There are two different things here,

1) the actual speed these bikes did or didn't do, we can only speculate about it.

2) cops flagging down riders randomly without a single piece of evidence.

I will leave aside 1, on 2, the official fine as per the Karnataka regulations are 1k / 2wheeler for overspeeding.

Might be anecdotal but I have been faced with these situations before and flat out refuse to pay and in both cases stood my ground and the cops backed off.

The first was though easy, my friend and I were returning from a movie on his old Splendor, both helmeted (I always wear a helmet even on pillion even a decade ago), cops flag us down and tell us we were going 100 kmph. We just laughed, I actually told the cop that if he takes one of us pillion and even cross 60kmph on that stretch we were on, I will give him cash of 5k.

We were asked to leave.

The second was when I actually lost it. Outside the Spencers signal in Chennai (this was 7-8 years ago again), you had yellow lines stop at a point and merging lines (white with gaps) drawn. Cops flagged me down, told me to pay 500 as penalty for lane cutting. I said no I didn't and I am aware of motor vehicle act and yellow lines ended. The SI acted smart and they had caught some 10-12 other bikers by then. I flat out denied the charge, said I don't even need the bike and I will collect it in court, but I won't pay a single paisa. Hearing this some of the others also started protesting and I encouraged them loudly not to pay a paisa. The cop was now worried about losing his bakras, and asked me to leave. I was emboldened at this stage and started walking off, saying I don't need the key, a cop pushed the bike near me and said saar please just leave, no fine nothing. Realised if I pushed it I might actually lose the plot so take the bike and left.

Point is, if you are sure you didn't break the law, stand your ground. Cops are like predators, they don't like prey that fights back and rather than waste time and effort on one, they will go back to fleecing 10 others.

Esp these guys, am sure they had apps or gopros at the least and even a bluff of I have proof and my lawyers will pick this up and standing that ground, and getting 2-3 others to pick up the chorus would have imo gotten cops to back off.

Last edited by Stribog : 4th June 2020 at 20:53.
Stribog is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 21:07   #73
BHPian

I think everyone has their share of mistake.
Media - For portraying wrongly about cinematic chase by Police. I think they thought of adding some Dhoom masala to add user-views. Who knows, the police would have given this story to them.

Bikers - Lets all accept the fact that we all ride or drive a bit fast in the NH. Very rarely people stick exactly by the speed limits. As someone posted previously that section comes under city/municipality limits and hence the speed limit will be 60/70. Forget super bikes even lower Cc bikes will go faster than that (normally). On top of that this grouping up and riding is not something that is considered good with the current scenario. If so much of urge go for solo ride. Many of the people in that group have action cams. if they were damn sure that they were well within limits, they could have easily produced the same and left.

Police - For fining without proper proofs. If there were proofs none would be raising concern here and still many would have got caught. For sure they wouldn't have done this not for the betterment of society, but an eye on the monthly fine collection. They would have easily met the target for 3-4 months in one such mission.

Cars - The luckiest souls, who broke the speed limits, the existing social distancing norms & importance of essential travel and still ran scott-free. I'm sure they would be laughing out loud reading this news.

So guys, Just Chill!!
susheel_kainat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 23:49   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
In practice - not even 5-10% would agree to go to court or file a PIL. Reasons are many - modifications on their bike which would make it illegal etc. Besides if you draw too much attention - then Cops would keep speed guns on this stretch and have fun sticking to 50 speed limit.
Not sure about the other appendages with the over speeding part by the bikers. I mean the modifications and other illegalities if any committed.

My contention is that it is inhuman to detain someone for such a long time for such a petty traffic offence. It violates our human rights. If there is/are any other offence/s identified by the cops let them click pictures, book the owner, fine him and let him go.

As regards PIL's I have myself dealt with quite a few, especially traffic related. And I can say that once the PIL is admitted and notices issued, the Judge also supports the lawyer in most genuine cases. In most cases, the government pleader fails to justify the wrongdoings by the traffic police, who are over enthusiastic in the traffic, but if there are stinkers from the Judge, they are on the backfoot. A PIL usually goes on for four to five years, with lots of interim orders after every few hearings. If there are more wrong actions by the traffic police during the pendency of the petition, their bosses are sometimes summoned and they know what it feels like being there before a Judge to testify, because I have seen this all in courtrooms with my petitions. That's the only way to tame them.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 4th June 2020 at 23:50.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 15:41   #75
BHPian

This is a norm in our country.A simple sub inspector can humiliate anyone and we are left with no other option but to let go the things.And it is an irony that a person going for a relaxation trip is rather being made to stand for 3 hours with zero faults.I myself have been a victim many a times, specially an occasion when a car with judge written on its back glass being parked wrongly on road and resulting in a long jam with the traffic person just watching.
Rustom Mistry is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks