Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2021, 02:17   #106
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
But there are many rides in the pipeline – Pangi Valley, Chanshal Pass, Winter Spiti, Eastern Ladakh, Shinku La, Mustang Valley, Jaisalmer and the list is simply too long. Hope to cover each of these on my Tiger, one step at a time !
Since I rode to Chanshal Pass last year, it was time to tick off another place off the bucket list - Pangi Valley !

This time I wasn't riding solo. I had a wonderful company of three more rider friends from NCR and we had a nice mix of motorcycles too, a XPulse BS4, a Thunderbird 500, a Tiger 800 XCx and my Tiger 800 XR.

We started off from NCR on 10th September and rode up to Banikhet near Dalhousie. The weather turned out to be surprisingly great throughout the ride, except for a heavy spell of rain while exiting NCR. It was pleasant throughout the day which made riding 600 kms thoroughly enjoyable.

A scintillating sunset near Banikhet

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210910_18323801.jpeg

The next morning we started off from Banikhet and the agenda of the day was to cross Saach Pass and reach Killar. However the rain Gods had other plans for us. The visibility due to heavy rains was so poor that locals and army advised us to stay at Bairagarh for the night and head to Killar the next day. Although we had reached Bairagarh by noon on Day 2 and we had ample time to reach Killar, we decided to listen to the locals and stayed at Bairagarh.

Chamera Reservoir en route Bairagarh

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210911_07260701.jpeg

Next day, the weather was again not so favourable in terms of rains however visibility was not much of an issue. The rains barely bothered us so it turned out to be a magical ride across the Saach Pass, into Pangi Valley. There were a few water crossings en route and the road was far from smooth, but the beautiful landscapes ensured we keep ourselves busy enjoying the vistas than complaining about the road conditions.

In and around Saach Pass, the gateway to Pangi Valley from the Chamba Valley

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-dsc_005801.jpeg

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210912_100705012.jpeg

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210912_13232501.jpeg

The next morning weather turned pleasant, with no sight of clouds. We decided to ride to Kishtwar via the famous Cliffhanger section between Ishtyari and Tyari. Most of the road till Tyari is unpaved and some sections are tricky, specially the ascent from Sansari Nullah to Ishtyari was quite an arduous climb, more so due to the road tyres on my motorcycle. Thankfully, all motorcycles performed exceptionally well with absolutely no hiccups. Post Tyari, it is a well paved road all the way till Kishtwar. We reached Kishtwar quite late as we ended up spending a lot of time on the Cliffhanger section due to road construction work ahead. We waited for almost 4 hours as blasting work was in progress and this seriously affected our progress. Thankfully, the roads after Tyari were great so riding in the dark was not at all an issue.

The famous Cliffhanger section on the Killar - Kishtwar road

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210913_14424301.jpeg

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210913_141625012.jpeg

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210913_141634012.jpeg

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210913_144644012.jpeg

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210913_133209012.jpeg

Next day, we rode to Phagwara via the fantastic 9 km long Chenani - Nashri tunnel and the lovely winding Udhampur - Jammu road.

The Udhampur - Jammu highway was a welcome change from the non-existent roads of Pangi Valley

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210914_16393501.jpeg

The final leg of the journey from Ludhiana to Delhi was a solo ride, as my friends branched off from Ludhiana towards Chandigarh / Ambala while I rode to Delhi via Malerkotla - Sangrur - Jind - Rohtak - Delhi.

It turned out to be a fantastic 1722 kms ride to the scintillating Pangi Valley and Paddar Valley over 6 days ex-Delhi. The Tiger was an exceptional companion. I had a couple of standstill falls due to the slushy conditions, but more than the motorcycle it was the road tyres that were to be blamed.

One for the memories

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210912_151312012.jpeg

Overall, it was a lovely experience of riding through the mountain passes in rains over non-existent roads and doing the Cliffhanger section before it closes down for public soon. Yes, there is an alternate road which is almost ready and locals said that the original Cliffhanger section will be closed down once the new road is operational. We also wanted to include a visit to Bhaderwah in this ride however due to multiple factors, we decided to skip Bhaderwah and Chattergala Pass for later, as these places are more easily accessible around the year.

Here's one click of the four motorcycles which were part of this 6 day trip !

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210913_13052601.jpeg

Last edited by //M : 9th October 2021 at 02:27.
//M is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 08:13   #107
Team-BHP Support

Stunning pics. Riding in the mountains is truly one of the best ways to enjoy any motorcycle. It’s a different experience altogether. I hope I can plan a trip to the mountains sometime soon myself.

How did you manage with the XR tyres. They look like they’re 90:10 road biased and it must have been quite a task working your way through some of those slushy sections.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th October 2021 at 16:28. Reason: Corrected as requested.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 20:22   #108
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Stunning pics. Riding in the mountains is truly one of the best ways to enjoy any motorcycle. It’s a different experience altogether. I hope I can plan a trip to the mountains sometime soon myself.

How did you manage with the XR tyres. They look like they’re 90:10 road biased and it must have been quite a task working your way through some of those slushy sections.
Yes absolutely agreed to your comment on riding in the Himalayas. Not only it gives an opportunity to witness some of the most magical landscapes in the country, it also provides a phenomenal exposure to us riders, considering the mix of great mountain roads, water crossings, bad roads, serpentine sections and the overall experience of riding across high altitude passes with slush, snow, gravel, loose sand and tarmac every now and then.

The tyres had managed fine in all my previous rides however the stock Metzelers are not at all grippy over slushy sections. The result was I ended up using the clutch a little more than I would have liked, to avoid getting stuck in the slushy ruts. This is something I need to improve now, may be with a set of 80:20 tyres. I love the grip on offer by the stock tyres over tarmac and would not like to compromise on this aspect. However, apart from slush, the tyres were absolutely brilliant over everything else so far !
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 00:33   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Since I rode to Chanshal Pass last year, it was time to tick off another place off the bucket list - Pangi Valley !

The famous Cliffhanger section on the Killar - Kishtwar road

Attachment 2216943
Wow!! This is the best possible to way to break Lockdown hangover!! Excellent pics there brother!!

I have always wanted to do this Cliffhanger section, although with my worsening vertigo situation, I am sure it will be more fun than I anticipate.

I am tilting towards a 2nd touring bike too. Rode a 390 adv and it totally changed my perspective of motorcycling. My heart is really set on the CB500, if only they could price it right.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 01:57   #110
BHPian

Amazing pics & stunning stories!
Definitely not for the faint-hearted from the looks of it.
P72NX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 19:09   #111
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Wow!! This is the best possible to way to break Lockdown hangover!! Excellent pics there brother!!

I have always wanted to do this Cliffhanger section, although with my worsening vertigo situation, I am sure it will be more fun than I anticipate.

I am tilting towards a 2nd touring bike too. Rode a 390 adv and it totally changed my perspective of motorcycling. My heart is really set on the CB500, if only they could price it right.

Rachit
Wow a second motorcycle to complement the R1.

The CB500 is priced too optimistically, specially considering that the 390 Adv offers a great package for its price. Are Big Wing guys offering test rides of the CB500X? Also, did you consider an Interceptor or a CB350 RS? Although smaller in comparison, but they do pack quite a punch and could double up as good touring motorcycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P72NX View Post
Amazing pics & stunning stories!
Definitely not for the faint-hearted from the looks of it.
Thank you P72NX. The terrain is surely demanding but most of it is manageable on a clear weather day. It however gets tricky during a downpour.
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 23:18   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Wow a second motorcycle to complement the R1.

The CB500 is priced too optimistically, specially considering that the 390 Adv offers a great package for its price. Are Big Wing guys offering test rides of the CB500X? Also, did you consider an Interceptor or a CB350 RS? Although smaller in comparison, but they do pack quite a punch and could double up as good touring motorcycles.
Yeah, the 390 ADV makes Cb500 looks way too overpriced, which it is actually. Yes, test rides are available for the CB500X. I am still between the 390 ADV and the CB500, although a friend has suggested to check out the BMW G310GS as well. Will keep that bike a try too. I really like how it looks, plus a more suitable seat height for me than the 390 Adv.

I always thought I would prefer a standard 390 over the Adv, but once I rode the 390 adv, the lack of wind blast, just totally changed my mind on what a touring bike should have. That is why looking for small adv bikes with good protection possibilities.

But this is still in my head as of now, as a big backlash is coming from the home ministry.

If you want, maybe we should go together to check out the CB500X.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 23:22   #113

I grew up riding normal commuter bikes and eventually my interest shifted towards cars. But lately after watching some moto vlogs, I made up my mind to go for a little ride on my Duke and did a 600 kms trip and oh boy! it was so much fun cruising through highways and few bad patches, which I never experienced in car. I am planning to get an ADV in near future. As the saying goes, four wheels move the body two wheels move the soul! Nice thread man ride safe.
Avinash97 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 17:53   #114
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Yeah, the 390 ADV makes Cb500 looks way too overpriced, which it is actually. Yes, test rides are available for the CB500X.
If you want, maybe we should go together to check out the CB500X.

Rachit
Yes absolutely. Let us check out the CB500X and a couple of more options. I will PM you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash97 View Post
I grew up riding normal commuter bikes and eventually my interest shifted towards cars. But lately after watching some moto vlogs, I made up my mind to go for a little ride on my Duke and did a 600 kms trip and oh boy! it was so much fun cruising through highways and few bad patches, which I never experienced in car. I am planning to get an ADV in near future. As the saying goes, four wheels move the body two wheels move the soul! Nice thread man ride safe.
Decision in the right direction, ADVs are quite versatile and abuse friendly in our conditions.

Motorcycling is enjoyable but you are also exposed to all kinds of elements. So do get the proper riding gears while you get your choice of ADV. Ride safe !
Old 15th October 2021, 23:13   #115
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Missed sharing this landmark earlier.

I completed 25000 kms on the Tiger during the Saach Pass ride. The pic was clicked between Udhampur and Jammu on the return leg. 25000 memorable clicks on the Tiger.

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210914_16471601.jpeg
//M is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 19:39   #116

Quote:
Yes absolutely. Let us check out the CB500X and a couple of more options. I will PM you on this.

Decision in the right direction, ADVs are quite versatile and abuse friendly in our conditions.

Motorcycling is enjoyable but you are also exposed to all kinds of elements. So do get the proper riding gears while you get your choice of ADV. Ride safe !
Thanks. I equipped myself with LS2 helmet and Rynox gloves. Can you please suggest me a good touring helmet?
Old 17th October 2021, 13:55   #117
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash97 View Post
Thanks. I equipped myself with LS2 helmet and Rynox gloves. Can you please suggest me a good touring helmet?
You may consider the Bell MX9 Adv helmet.

You should also consider the reviews of some full face / touring helmets that fellow members have put up on this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...od-helmet.html (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet).
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 18:38   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Missed sharing this landmark earlier.
I completed 25000 kms on the Tiger
Congratulations //M on achieving a major milestone on your Tiger. Great to someone retaining the bike and actually completing 25k kms. Otherwise, various classifieds platforms are full with ads of bikes ran hardly couple of thousand kms.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 19:54   #119
BHPian

Quote:

Awesome pics. Hope to do this someday on the Xpulse.
TheCelestial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 06:48   #120
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Congratulations //M on achieving a major milestone on your Tiger. Great to someone retaining the bike and actually completing 25k kms. Otherwise, various classifieds platforms are full with ads of bikes ran hardly couple of thousand kms.
Thank you abhi_tjet. Amongst owners, I think we have both the extremes, ones who keep their prized possessions as garage queens and ones who ride the hell out of it. I know a couple of Tiger owner friends who have clocked over 60-70 K kms in about 4 years of ownership. That is a lot of riding on what is supposedly a leisure activity. I wish I could have munched more miles on my Tiger though. The pandemic surely restricted riding for all of us. With things easing out slowly, hope to visit more places on my Tiger soon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
Awesome pics. Hope to do this someday on the Xpulse.
Yes you must do it on your XPulse. We had one in our group and that thing just rocketed through the bad sections.

Sharing a couple of pics of the XPulse we had in our group.

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210912_122351012.jpeg

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210913_142052012.jpeg

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20210913_142719012.jpeg
//M is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed