Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2020, 01:13   #46
BHPian

re: Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR

Hi //M,

Your superlatively amazing experience with all those stunning pictures have given me a pacing-around-my-room-at-1am adrenaline rush after a yet another soul sucking work from home Monday!!!

Reading through your thread made me realise that there's still a beautiful world out there to explore when the pandemic has passed. As automobile/travel enthusiasts, this was some badly needed optimism given that we can barely venture out of our neighbourhood these days.

This was definitely the high point of my day!

Shubham
Shumi_21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 09:04   #47
BHPian

Lovely thread and beautiful pictures.

It's been 2 years already!

Back in the days, I recollect having those long discussions with you, over your dilemma between a Roadster bike (you were sold for the STriple), Vs a mid segment tourer.
At one point of time, you had made up your mind :
Sunday breakfast rides - Street Triple.
Touring - your RE 500

But, good sense prevailed, and you got yourself a gem of a motorcycle - which Let's you do justice to the wander bug in you!

One can see that sense of achievement. Pictures talk louder than words.
Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20180708_123731__01.jpg

That's your candid shot while I was taking a picture of my street triple. During our Masai Plateau ride.

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_20180708_124751.jpg

Wish you many more happy and picturesque miles on the lovely Tiger!
Monaro CV8 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 10:10   #48
BHPian

Congrats on the buy sir. Wishing you a million happy miles on the motorcycle.
Could you elaborate on your riding gears?
What brands do you use?
Your signature mentions a Dominar 400. Did you buy a Dominar 400 later?
Govardhansupra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 11:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Detailed review with the lovely pictures. Tiger is awesome for our highways and roads.

How has your experience been with the service, parts availability, reliability and parts price? The spare parts seem very expensive as per other ownership reviews.

Please do keep the thread updated. Thanks for sharing your ownership experience and ride details. I cannot control my urge to go for a long ride after seeing the pictures.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 11:23   #50
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
This was definitely the high point of my day!
Thank you Shubham. There indeed is a beautiful world to be explored. Just yesterday I almost jumped in delight on reading an article stating that Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh are welcoming tourists now, but realised later that the state administration has some criteria regarding Covid19 test and quarantine period. I guess it is better to wait for a more favourable time and then go on an exploration spree !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Lovely thread and beautiful pictures.
Wish you many more happy and picturesque miles on the lovely Tiger!
Thank you sir. The Street Triple had me smitten, it is such a blast to ride on the twisties. But once I realised that I will be able to stretch for a Tiger, there was no looking elsewhere. Can't believe it has been 28+ months since I bought it home. Time flies !

Thanks for the candid shot, my expression is very amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govardhansupra View Post
Congrats on the buy sir.
Many thanks.

I had bought a Triumph branded all-weather riding jacket, all-weather riding pants, all-weather riding gloves. Triumph riding gear is usually manufactured by Rev'it or Alpinestars.

I have an Arai XD4 helmet which I use during 95% of the rides. Sometimes, I use my older Shiro helmet as well.

I have been using RST touring boots since 2015. However, since last one week or so, I have been hunting for a new pair of riding shoes, preferably Goretex.

The Dominar 400 was bought last year and is primarily being used by my younger brother.
Old 7th July 2020, 11:27   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, what a great thread this is! Congratulations on your Tiger. The pictures do complement your writeup very well indeed.

Ive always felt that the Tiger XR was a very under rated offering from Triumph. Discussions on the Tiger always seem to veer towards the XC or the XCX or the big bad XCA. I really like the addition of the beak, that is Rs 8,000 that is very well spent!
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 14:02   #52
BHPian

What an awesome thread to read in office when you have no work and its pouring cats and dogs outside. The pictures are droolworthy and your feelings are conveyed so aptly.
All this coming from a car person. I was so not into bikes and any other day I would skip bike reviews/ownership threads.
Since a year, I have developed interest in Adventure bikes and as soon as I saw Triumph name on the thread, my eyes lit up.
I have been following certain bike vloggers on youtube and recently many of them have picked up the Tiger in different versions.
Really loved your description of the journey from the RE to Triumph. Awaiting more updates. This bike is a keeper i believe.
Please do keep updating the thread as life moves on.
DieselAnna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 21:32   #53
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
How has your experience been with the service, parts availability, reliability and parts price? The spare parts seem very expensive as per other ownership reviews.
Thank You PatienceWins. Triumph India has sold a sizeable number of Tigers in India so far, so parts availability is a lot better than many motorcycles in this price range. But that said, it is still a low-volume product. While fast moving parts are usually readily available, but there might be some parts with a long waiting period.

While reliability wise I do not have any complaints but part prices and labour cost is indeed pretty high. Typically if you do 10000 kms a year, you will have to spend INR 75-80 K annually on an average. This includes annual insurance, annual service costs and tyre replacement costs every 10-15 K kms depending on your riding style. While the annual service costs are usually around INR 7 K, the battery / starter motor / sprocket / chain replacements are an expensive affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Wow, what a great thread this is! Congratulations on your Tiger. The pictures do complement your writeup very well indeed.
Thank you.

The XR is a nice package, I have never felt it to be missing out on features. I am anyway not a fanboy of too many electronics on motorcycles, ABS and Traction Control were a must for me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAnna View Post
What an awesome thread to read in office when you have no work and its pouring cats and dogs outside. The pictures are droolworthy and your feelings are conveyed so aptly.
Really loved your description of the journey from the RE to Triumph. Awaiting more updates. This bike is a keeper i believe.
Please do keep updating the thread as life moves on.
Thank you DieselAnna. Adv segment is becoming very popular these days, thanks to the versatility on offer. I will try my best to keep this thread updated in the long run. The bucket list of places in the pipeline is simply too long. The Tiger will surely see more of the highway and the hills once situation is back to normal.
Old 7th July 2020, 21:38   #54
BHPian

Dada

Loved the review. You are truly an inspiration. This is as much a travelogue as it is a bike ownership review. When I went thru the photos, I realized the richness and breadth of experience that you have gained riding the bike across the country. You must have traveled in 15 plus states now on the tiger? We meet some of the nicest people on motorcycles - you are indeed one of them!

I really missed the delivery of your bike. I was traveling out of Pune that week but I do remember our conversations around that time. I was very close to buying the Tiger myself so I know the fun that you can have on it.

I look forward to riding more often with you (which surprisingly we have done very less) and wish you so many more happy miles with your Bagheera as well as all future bikes and cars.
nitrogary is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 06:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

I always wondered why you haven’t put up the review for your Tiger. Now that is one comprehensive review. When we met for the first time in 2014 and started hanging out, our discussions about your car/bike purchase always stopped at the Tiger. I am glad at the end of the day you picked it up and you are doing complete justice to the bike. The beak has completely transformed the look of the bike and it’s noticeable from the pictures in the review. I am glad I could be of help with your CR-V, that was one amazing car.

Having observed your Tiger closely, I realised the amount of engineering that has gone into the development of the Tiger. It’s exemplary. Wish you loads of peaceful and happy miles with your Bagheera!
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:25   #56
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Dada

Loved the review. You are truly an inspiration. This is as much a travelogue as it is a bike ownership review.
I look forward to riding more often with you (which surprisingly we have done very less) and wish you so many more happy miles with your Bagheera as well as all future bikes and cars.
Thank You so much. I have so far travelled in 12 states and 1 UT, might have touched 15 by now (a trip to Sikkim was in the pipeline) but thanks to the pandemic, this will take some time now.

I am glad you were around while I was planning to buy the Tiger. Your immense knowledge and experience really helped me take an informed decision. I do look forward to ride with you, whenever I am in Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
I always wondered why you haven’t put up the review for your Tiger.
Having observed your Tiger closely, I realised the amount of engineering that has gone into the development of the Tiger. It’s exemplary. Wish you loads of peaceful and happy miles with your Bagheera!
Thank You Asit. Yes the review was indeed long due, sadly never got the time to pen it down. As you rightly said, the Tiger was always the one single motorcycle which played a key role in all our discussions since 2014. I am glad you feel that I am doing justice to the motorcycle.

The beak looks beautiful, money well spent for sure !
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 14:18   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
This includes annual insurance, annual service costs and tyre replacement costs every 10-15 K kms depending on your riding style.
How is the performance of Metz Tourance ?
how much did it cost ?
Is it good for tarmac touring as well ?
Is it advisable to use them on a Duke 390 ?

Thanks
revv_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 20:59   #58
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
How is the performance of Metz Tourance ?
how much did it cost ?
Is it good for tarmac touring as well ?
Is it advisable to use them on a Duke 390 ?

Thanks
The Metzeler Tourance Nxt on the Tiger are fabulous, perfect amount of road grip even on wet surfaces. Due to the sports touring oriented nature, it is perfect for tarmac touring.

A set of Metzeler Tourance Nxt tyres costed me INR 21500 inclusive of taxes and labour charges.

The KTM 390 Adventure comes with the Metzeler Tourance tyres. The Metzeler M5 or the M7 are better suited to the Duke 390 though.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 09:09   #59
Team-BHP Support

Superb thread.

These motorcycles are truly a dream and your words convey that passion. Hope it inspires many new riders - especially into this adventure class.

I've always had a soft spot for the Tiger 800 - it is purely the price tag that made it out of my reach and the Versys offered VFM back then. Good to see the bike being used just as it deserves.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 15:32   #60
BHPian

Thank you for taking us along your journey with the Tiger in its entirety through your pictures! Really happy to hear about your experiences and long adventures on the saddle.

Post lockdown, keep throttling to more destinations.
Gixxy.danger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks