Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2020, 19:53   #16
BHPian

re: Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdus001 View Post
Great writeup

BTW how is it for the pillion? The seat looks quite small?
On the Street 675, my wife's complaint used to be on the high set foot rests; after about 1.5-2 hours of riding, her knees would hurt. Seat size was not an issue, nor was the suspension.The 765 has the same seating position, so probably we'll have the same problems, will post our experiences once we've done some rides.
Old 30th August 2020, 23:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdus001 View Post
Great writeup

BTW how is it for the pillion? The seat looks quite small?
Neither great nor bad for pillion rider comfort. It is good enough for 200 to 300 kms ride. For long distance touring, some modifications may be required for added comfort.
Old 30th August 2020, 23:51   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

hifisharu, finally the long awaited ownership thread of your Street Triple 765S is up on the forum! As expected, it was a very enjoyable read and the simple snapshots of each of it's competitors was a very nice highlight of the thread. Often we Indian motorcyclists think, oh, if only I was abroad, I would have bought this bike or that bike. Motorcyclists love to dream! But you moved to a different country and bought the updated version of the same bike you had in India. That certainly goes to show how capable and well engineered the Triumph middle weights are and how well suited they are for a rider like you and also, how lucky we Indians are to get some of these world class machines on our roads. Do keep the thread updated as you cover more miles, the vistas in the pictures are so beautiful, I can only imagine riding through those roads and highways! I am sure this thread will help inspire and convert many readers to future Triumph owners.

P.S - maybe the mods should rename the thread title to Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S Review.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 10:49   #19
Team-BHP Support

I have had the pleasure of riding a 675 and a 765, apart from the clutch on the 765, I love the 765 more. The ergonomics of the 765 [whatever subtle differences maybe between both] suit me better.

In fact, I too am considering between the Z-900 and the new Striple R. While I have ridden the Triumphs, I have not ridden the Z-900.

I think, I have gotten over the i4 thing and the exhaust note drama and would prefer a bike which connects with me better on a corner.

Thanks for this wonderful thread, please keep it updated. Wishing you many happy miles .
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 11:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

In fact, I too am considering between the Z-900 and the new Striple R. While I have ridden the Triumphs, I have not ridden the Z-900.

I would prefer a bike which connects with me better on a corner.
Lovely conundrum to be in. Infact I was in the same one as well. Truth is the Z900, while being heavier has far more torque across the rev range and will power out of corners in the real world a lot better. You can't really carry crazy speed into corners in India. The Kawasaki is a s superior bike every where but the race track. It's heavy though and that can be a problem for some.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 12:44   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Lovely conundrum to be in. Infact I was in the same one as well. Truth is the Z900, while being heavier has far more torque across the rev range and will power out of corners in the real world a lot better. You can't really carry crazy speed into corners in India. The Kawasaki is a s superior bike every where but the race track. It's heavy though and that can be a problem for some.
Thanks.

While I have not ridden the new Kawasaki, I have ridden both 675 & 765 [as mentioned].

I am not looking at outright acceleration or anything, I need better cycle parts / better suspension. I mostly ride in the hills where speeds are between 30 kmph to a max of 80 kmph [max], you just can't go above that. At those speeds, I want the best feel from the bike in terms of handling in that price range [~10L OTR].
Old 31st August 2020, 14:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have had the pleasure of riding a 675 and a 765, apart from the clutch on the 765, I love the 765 more. The ergonomics of the 765 [whatever subtle differences maybe between both] suit me better.

I think, I have gotten over the i4 thing and the exhaust note drama and would prefer a bike which connects with me better on a corner.

Thanks for this wonderful thread, please keep it updated. Wishing you many happy miles .
Hey Sheel, thank you for your kind words. If I recall correctly, you and I had the Silver CBR250 from way back in 2012 or so. In my opinion, the latest Striple R is a great value proposition. It has all the adjustable suspension you need for a good setup, good brakes and the simple analogue instrumentation, which I find better and faster to 'boot' up than the all TFT display of the RS. As imp! has pointed out, the Z900 is a great bike, with all the right numbers and a great package. End of the day, it's just what connects with you. Wishing you all the best in getting your next steed
hifisharu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:44   #23
BHPian

Congratulations hifisharu on the STriple. Awesome review. It was always a pleasure reading your logs and like I had mentioned, those inspired and made my decision easier.

Those roads over there look killing, one can only wish riding on such roads.

Look forward to many more miles and pictures from you.
srikanthpotluri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 14:02   #24
BHPian

One small but significant change I made on the bike was the mirrors. The previous 675 had horrible mirrors and so did the current 765 S. I didn't want to change over to bar-end mirrors, as they stick out of the bike and create issues while parking. When I had visited the showroom to check out the 2020 Street Triple R, I had noticed the mirrors were new and completely different in design, but the mounting point was the same as before. This was exactly what I was looking for and managed to get a pair some time last week.

Old design
Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20200412_17302301.jpeg

New design

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20201013_151319.jpg

The installation was very easy and the improvement is immense. The new mirrors have a larger area and more importantly, getting the right setting is very easy, as the whole mirror moves and not just the glass part.

It's almost end of the 2020 riding season, with winter approaching but the autumn colours are just impossible to resist.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20201013_15143801.jpeg
Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20201013_15152101.jpeg
hifisharu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 23:41   #25
BHPian

With the start of the 2021 riding season, I managed to put in some saddle time to some lovely nearby places. It was still Spring and though weather was slightly on the chilly side, the blossoming trees were a treat for the eyes.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210423_124929_hdr.jpg
Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210424_171008_hdr.jpg

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210423_131214_hdr-1.jpg

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210423_130646_hdr.jpg

The bike was due for the yearly service and was told by my service advisor that the tires were close to the end of their life and changed over to the Continental Road Attack III tires. Have ridden them for around 500kms and I find they are much easier to tip into corners than the Angel GTs I had and offer great grip and inspire confidence in the dry. Wet weather performance is yet to be experienced.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210528_173723_hdr.jpg
hifisharu is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 06:49   #26
BHPian

Lovely pics of the ride locations and always a pleasure to see a biker enjoying the winding roads. Can I ask, how are the cops / speeding ticket situation in Germany. I rode in France in 2019, and was ticketed 25 euros for going 2 km above the speed limit in the Loire Valley.

A few fellow riders told me that Germany / German cops are much cooler in attitude and friendlier towards bikers. The worst are the Swiss, apparently puts our Delhi cops to shame.

I have been planning a trip to ride from Milan to Munich for a while, so seeing your ride pictures is making me very very jealous and excited at the same time.

Have fun riding and stay safe.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 14:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Lovely pics of the ride locations and always a pleasure to see a biker enjoying the winding roads. Can I ask, how are the cops / speeding ticket situation in Germany. I rode in France in 2019, and was ticketed 25 euros for going 2 km above the speed limit in the Loire Valley.

A few fellow riders told me that Germany / German cops are much cooler in attitude and friendlier towards bikers. The worst are the Swiss, apparently puts our Delhi cops to shame.

I have been planning a trip to ride from Milan to Munich for a while, so seeing your ride pictures is making me very very jealous and excited at the same time.

Have fun riding and stay safe.
Very recently, the traffic fines were updated and have increased quite a bit and so has the frequent police checks for speeding and illegal modifications. Most of the roads with fixed traffic speed cams are known to most people and everyone adheres to the limits, the temporary speed checks are upto one's good luck/bad luck. Here's a clip of one such 'sensitisation' drive the police undertook on one of the most popular biking routes.

https://www.regio-tv.de/mediathek/vi...ach-stuttgart/

Attitude wise, I haven't really dealt with any cops so to say, but I would say their attitude will depend on the kind of violation one has committed, normally I've found them to be friendly and open to questions as such.
Old 22nd June 2021, 16:22   #28
BHPian

Re: Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S Review

Some new riding gear and rides: Our riding group grew from the previous three people to around seven people and this truly warranted a better rider comms system, otherwise people kept getting lost. Some of the riders were already on the Cardo system and the advantages of the Cardo over the Sena ( Mesh and water proof) meant I changed over to the Cardo Packtalk Bold and the results are truly amazing: The Mesh system makes adding riders a breeze and keeps everyone in the network without any additional effort. Battery lasted us nearly 13hours during our last ride and the range was really good. The voice activated commands work really well and one has to seldom remove their hands from the handlebar. The major downside is the price, costing around 230euros, including some discounts.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210622_121127_hdr.jpg

Here was the route planned, around the region of Odenwald, some really fantastic roads, curving through the forests. Great company of awesome riders and brilliant weather:

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-whatsapp-image-20210610-23.21.43.jpeg
Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-whatsapp-image-20210612-19.54.59.jpeg
Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210621_125040_hdr.jpg

Wifey too managed to get all the riding gear together and did some rides to a few nearby places

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-whatsapp-image-20210622-12.06.11.jpeg
Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-whatsapp-image-20210622-12.06.55.jpeg
Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210522_160438_hdr.jpg

Last but not the least, I upgraded to a pair of TCX boots, which are waterproof but still breathable thanks to the Goretex membrane and are really comfortable.
Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210622_120819_hdr.jpg
hifisharu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:58   #29
BHPian

The Swiss Pass Trip: Here was another idea in the making since 5-6 years and was in the dream rides list. Me and my friend had tried to do it as part of our first trip but the weather Gods were not in favour and we ended up doing the Austrian passes. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...torcycles.html (To the Alps & beyond...on motorcycles!). Fast forward to three years later and with Covid playing havoc on travel plans and my friend unable to visit in the near future, I decided to do this one on my own and set out on a fairly quick trip of some of the Swiss mountain passes, the ones which were closest to me.

Since it was going to be just an overnight trip, I had packed light and could manage just with the tank and tail bags. Though the weather forecast said no rain, I had my rain gear all along, as the weather can change rather quickly in the mountains. Bike all cleaned up, fuel filled, chain cleaned and lubed and I was set to leave. One hiccup in the planning was inability to use the real-time phone navigation, as Switzerland is not part of the EU and therefore charges ridiculous fees for data roaming. I decided to download the map for Swiss for offline usage and Google maps worked brilliantly, using only voice commands.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210720_110535_hdr.jpg

After about 250kms of Autobahn riding and border checking, I was in Altdorf, which one can call as the starting point of mountain passes. From here one can pick atleast 5-6 different routes leading to many of the known popular passes. Also, this is the ideal location to leave the Autobahns and continue on the inner roads, which have much less traffic and much more scenic.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210720_131202_hdr-1.jpg
Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002467.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210720_132936_hdr.jpg

My first pass for the day was the Furka pass, featured in the James Bond film 'Goldfinger'. The route being very popular with the bikers, we gave each other the other kind of fingers On the way up were some splendid waterfalls and I did a bit of 'hiking' to get a good view.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210720_152745_hdr.jpg
Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210720_152137_hdr.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210720_152343_hdr.jpg

Soon I reached the top from where the Furka loops are visible and took a short coffee stop at the Belvédère Rhonegletscher. Here one can also visit the glacier and walk through the ice, but I was short on time and didn't explore it, maybe I'll be back with my family some time later.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210720_154015_hdr.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210720_155003_hdr.jpg

My route to the night halt was down through Furka, up on Grimsel and then down again towards Innertkirchen and then up again Flühli and the entire route is a biker's paradise, kilometer after kilometer of lovely winding roads and many bikers for company.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002470.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002514.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002472.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002542.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002546.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002517.jpg

Grimsel pass has a lovely lake on top and is a fantastic place to relax and unwind and take in the views. Many restaurants included, but fair warning, the price of food is eye watering in Swiss in general, even more at such exotic locations. Simple Croissant and coffee was 9CHF.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210720_170040_hdr.jpg
Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210720_165744_hdr.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002515.jpg

Called it a day with some pizza and local bier for dinner. Accommodation for the night was a very simple shared room. Nice hot bath to take away the riding fatigue and a good night's sleep to be fresh and well rested for the ride tomorrow.

Total distance: 435kms
Riding time: 6 hours

Last edited by hifisharu : 22nd July 2021 at 16:01.
hifisharu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 16:36   #30
BHPian

Day 2 of the Swiss trip was exploring a couple of more passes and head back home. I started out from the village of Schupfheim, towards the first pass, known as Klausenpass. Most of the pass roads are narrow and quite bumpy in places as well, but the upside is no heavy vehicles allowed or caravans.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210721_091238_hdr.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210721_102412_hdr.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210721_105429_hdr.jpg

Typical of Swiss pass roads, amazing scenery all around and generally good vibes and the company of fellow bikers/travellers make the overall journey very pleasing.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002587.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002627.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002643.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002706.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002710.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002711.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002715.jpgMoving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-tl002752.jpg

The next place I was visiting was a very small pass, called Schwägalp, which is more popular as a Ski-resort. Some of the foot hills have a cable car service to the top and then one can hike around. Me being in riding gear and shoes, I was not interested in the hiking part and settled for the views from the foot-hills, which were breath-taking as well.

Moving over to the Dark Side - My Triumph Street Triple 765S  Review-20210721_132504_hdr.jpg

Finished having a quick lunch and headed back home, taking the Autobahns for the most distance. Thankfully, there were no traffic jams on the way and was able to cover good distance. Stopped at a couple of places on the way back for fuel and bio-breaks and by evening, I was home-sweet-home.

Total distance covered: 480kms
Riding time: 7 hours

With the Swiss trip, my total kilometer tally comes close to the 20,000 kms mark and the bike will be due for it's major service, including valve clearance check etc. Most of the service estimates are around the 700euro mark but the service is a necessary one which will hopefully keep the vehicle trouble free for years to come
hifisharu is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks