Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2020, 10:53   #1
BHPian

Importing a motorcycle from Malaysia

Hello,

I have a 2005 Kawasaki ER-6n in Malaysia that I'm using as my daily driver here in Kuala Lumpur. I'm returning to India as my job contract is expiring in September. I want to know if anyone has experience importing self used vehicles on returning to India especially from Malaysia. There doesn't seem to be any reliable information on the internet on this matter.

Or is it better to sell it here and not bother with importing?

Thanks,
Sreehari
Old 9th July 2020, 11:29   #2
BHPian

re: Importing a motorcycle from Malaysia

It's a very tedious and relatively expensive affair. Since the bike in question is actually available here in India it's a much better option to sell your bike there and buy a used one here or some other bike.

It makes sense to import when the vehicle is unique and not available in India.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 11:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
Hello,

Or is it better to sell it here and not bother with importing?

Thanks,
Sreehari
I know someone who brought his bike down to india with him on TR and the hassle was definitely not worth it in terms of time and money.

I would suggest selling the bike and picking up a good used example in india that could be had for 2.5-3.5L. The used big bike market in india is massive now!

Cheers!
james is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 12:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sell your bike before re-locating.

Makes no sense in bringing in a 15 year old bike. You will get everything here at every price point if you want to still indulge in riding.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 13:45   #5
BHPian

Agree with all others. It is really not worth going through the documentation hassle unless the bike is super rare or not available in India. Better to sell the bike. You can always buy a used ER6N for a reasonable price in India.
haneeshN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 21:01   #6
BHPian

Re: Importing a motorcycle from Malaysia

All the information you need is on this thread. Not sure how you missed this. (Its the same for importing from any country into India)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...-bike-usa.html (Detailed info on importing a bike from USA)

Anyways, been there done it myself. Let me tell you, its not worth the trouble (unless a certain bike is a very rare bike or you have extreme sentimental value and dont bother about monetary considerations). If you look at used superbike prices in India, you are much better off buying here.

If you search on OLX, there are many newer Er6n bikes available from 2015 model onwards for 2.75 Lacs onwards. Taking the price of your bike in Malaysia and adding shipping and customs and road tax and other port expenses & miscellaneous changes etc, it is almost impossible that it will cost you less than the used NEWER bikes in India.

Besides, importing bikes less than 800cc is even more complicated AND last nail in the coffin- You can't import a bike 15 years or older into India.

Last edited by Haroon : 10th July 2020 at 21:05.

Most Viewed