Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2020, 01:58   #61

re: Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Wow that is really inspiring to hear. I hope you and your dad do add on many more miles on the Iron 883, and do share those stories with us.
Hopefully we do, and will definitely share our experience with it as soon as possible
Until then continue mile munching with your ninja and do keep us updated on this thread!
KP56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 06:20   #62
Senior - BHPian

One hell of a thread Karthik. You even outdid my comprehensive thread on this beauty. Kudos to your passion and miles you have put on the bike. Best wishes for a long and safe ownership experience.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 08:46   #63
Senior - BHPian

re: Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!

Wonderful review Karthik! This is one of the most detailed ownership review I have ever seen in this forum. I thought your Punto review was the most detailed one. This just beats it hands down. Your ride looks awesome.

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have a photograph of our Kinetic, so will have to reference one from the internet for the exact same model
Quote:
I used to ride a 2003 Honda Dio to college and back during my engineering days.
Your reference to these vehicles reminds me of the BHS days. Even though the area around it has changed a lot in the last 18-20 years, the good old BHS just stands there like an old fort Which one did you used to get to BHS? Was it Kinetic? I’m unable to recollect.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 08:49   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan@Automotive View Post
KarthikK, kudos to your script. Your patience to meticulously record all the details has given way to a brilliant write up. Read it over 2 post lunch sessions, started yesterday and finished today.

I have been inspired by a lot motorbike threads on this forum. This is the best "bike ownership experience thread" I have read in the recent times.

It has rekindled the urge in me to venture into the big bike world. Hopefully, year 2021 will be safe for riding and will make venturing into the big bike world a reality for me.

Wishing you many more happy miles!
Thanks a lot Fan@Automotive for your kind words, glad you enjoyed it over 2 lunch breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats Karthik.

You got the goal achieved with picking up the litre-class motorcycle and the nice set of accessories you got there. Happy and safe riding. Keep the travelogues and your exploration of nature/resorts coming.
Thanks a lot Krishna, hopefully once the situation gets better we can ride to some places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulls View Post
Excellent thread Karthik!
Nothing like reading a long detailed review, when I am looking to buy one.
Your review will help me, in my purchase (2020 Ninja)
Working in London, I am planning to get all the possible accessories. Hoping to get some suggestions from you

Thanks for sharing . Especially for the exhaustive list of accessories & costs
You're welcome mulls, glad to hear the accessory list was helpful for you in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash View Post
It took me 2 days to completely finish off this review but boy, I am glad I read the whole review. And personally, I am a big fan of the blacked out Ninja 1000 because it gives out a stealthy look to those who see this beauty!

Thank you for taking out your time to pen this wonderful review.
Thank you for your kind words Aakash

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Wow what an ownership thread Karthik. Simply one of the most comprehensive, informative, entertaining and inspiring ownership thread I've read. I for one was hoping it never ends and there are more posts to go through. Please continue bringing in comprehensive updates when you can.

I thought I knew Ninja 1000 well but some of the details like the upside down rear brake calipers, turning radius, locking mirrors, amazing LED throw etc. were interesting.

Further, the cost break-up, especially for the different type of accessories and gears was really informative. Excellent set of quality safety gear for both of you. I believe its a worthy investment considering the touring you already do or plan to to.
Thanks a lot camitesh, glad you enjoyed reading through the details I'll definitely keep the thread updated over time.

Quote:
Knew the OE panniers cost a lot but didn't knew they cost as much. They look really premium and spacious. But 5 kgs limit per pannier seems surprisingly low especially when you are touring with pillion. How do you manage to squeeze in everything within the weight limit? Although I've never weighed my saddle bags when full but I can easily assume they would be over 15 kgs even when I tour solo. And add another 18L tank bag for electronics and other valuables. I guess I really need to start working on travelling light.
Haha yes that (avoiding overpacking) is indeed something which I learnt after getting the panniers. We just stick to lighter and compact clothing and avoid over-carrying things which we won't need for a short 2-3 day trip. Anyway most of the times, it is chilling and hiking around there so that doesn't need too many items. The inner bags help to separate the clothes from the rest of the luggage. Generally our formula for packing is:
Pannier 1: 1 half for inner bags (my clothes) + camera equipment (either drone+gopro OR DSLR+gopro) + footwear
Pannier 2: 1 half for inner bags (her clothes) + toiletries and cosmetics + medicical kit + misc electronics like portable speaker and chargers, etc.

The vehicle documents, wallet, etc are usually carried in a very lightweight backpack or tankbag. I think if I do a very long trip then I'll have to add on a tail rack and think of other options like that to expand the capacity.

Quote:
PS: I didn't know about the Sena remote and it looks very helpful as I also hate keeping one hand off the handlebar to play around the music options. Looking at the historic price in your cost break-up, I thought of picking it up right away but the current prices on Amazon are discouraging. Is it a worthy accessory especially considering the risk of it getting stolen on one of those numerous highway stops?
That is one accessory that almost every Sena user in the biking circles was trolling me for thinking about, saying I won't use it after a while and it is a money waste. On the contrary, I almost entirely use that remote now for all the Sena controls and hardly need to lift my hand from the handlebar to keep fiddling around my neck when riding. The battery life is superb and it lasts almost 4-5 months on one charge! I got an old stock piece for a discount at around 5k INR from a riding gear shop nearby. The listed price is 7500 IIRC. Bargain hard from a shop and buy it offline if you find it handy.

You'll have to be careful on highway rides to disconnect it and take it with you when you park your bike, no way around that. The flashing strobe light is a sureshot attraction for theft if you forget it there, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
This is that kind of a review which may turn fence sitters into cheque-bearing customers Never been a huge bike person but have always had an itch to buy one to enjoy the freedom that never comes with a car. This thread has just reignited that desire. It is a good thing I dont have a million or two sitting idle which would tempt me to take the plunge.
Thanks a lot for your kind words Hells Bells. Maybe you should visit a showroom and check out the finance options and see that dream come true *wink wink*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
One hell of a thread Karthik. You even outdid my comprehensive thread on this beauty. Kudos to your passion and miles you have put on the bike. Best wishes for a long and safe ownership experience.
Thanks a lot for the wishes dkaile, I am yet to go through your report on this bike completely, since I've come back to the forum after a long hiatus. I shall definitely read through it and maybe learn a few more things from your ~3 years of experience with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Wonderful review Karthik! This is one of the most detailed ownership review I have ever seen in this forum. I thought your Punto review was the most detailed one. This just beats it hands down. Your ride looks awesome.
Thanks a lot for your wishes Vinay! Glad to hear from you after a long while. We should catch up some time.

Quote:
Your reference to these vehicles reminds me of the BHS days. Even though the area around it has changed a lot in the last 18-20 years, the good old BHS just stands there like an old fort Which one did you used to get to BHS? Was it Kinetic? I’m unable to recollect.
I agree with the way that area has appeared unchanged over the decades, it has somehow managed to keep the same aura around it. I used to ride the Dio back then, lol!

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th July 2020 at 09:05.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 09:38   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Krishna, hopefully once the situation gets better we can ride to some places.
By the way, my bike too has KA05 KP series number.

Here we go with the link (Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review)
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 11:30   #66
BHPian

Hey Karthik, Guess that you have spare time now to write a 2-page review.
It took me couple of days to read through it. Deserved the 5 stars rating.

You have covered so many details of the Ninja, I'm sure this will be helpful for many others looking for an upgrade.

I always had a liking for the Ninja 1000, the 4-2-2 exhaust and total package of power & comfort summed it up for long rides and the weekend morning rides.

I had never seen the black color Ninja is flesh till our ride to Markonahalli. For me, the name Ninja always refers to the dudes in full black, so after seeing your bike, I had made my mind that if I buy a Ninja it had to be all Black.
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img20190505wa0068.jpg
All thanks to you & Rajesh for helping me on deciding my black ninja too.

The 2nd pic has both black ninja parked next to each other.
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_20191006_063524.jpg

Last edited by lavish_n : 16th July 2020 at 11:38. Reason: aligning pictures
lavish_n is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 18:55   #67
BHPian

First, it was Punto and now this! man, you have a style and easily the way you have put forth your thoughts depicts the actual buyer sentiments and not to forget the fact that, attention to detail is impeccable.

Anyways ride safe and waiting for one more ownership review of INT650.

Cheers,

Last edited by DragonHawk : 16th July 2020 at 18:57.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 06:54   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
By the way, my bike too has KA05 KP series number.

Here we go with the link (Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review)
Haha that's a nice coincidence!
I'll go through your ownership report today, I'm sure it will make for a great Friday afternoon read

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
Hey Karthik, Guess that you have spare time now to write a 2-page review.
It took me couple of days to read through it. Deserved the 5 stars rating.

You have covered so many details of the Ninja, I'm sure this will be helpful for many others looking for an upgrade.

I always had a liking for the Ninja 1000, the 4-2-2 exhaust and total package of power & comfort summed it up for long rides and the weekend morning rides.
Thanks a lot Lavish, glad you liked reading through the thread.

Quote:
I had never seen the black color Ninja is flesh till our ride to Markonahalli. For me, the name Ninja always refers to the dudes in full black, so after seeing your bike, I had made my mind that if I buy a Ninja it had to be all Black.

All thanks to you & Rajesh for helping me on deciding my black ninja too.
Really nice looking persona the black one gives especially when paired with the puig dark smoke visor, hehe! Glad you also got the color of your choice plus your bike was a fantastic pick. Looking forward to more photoshoots of the black twins in future rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
First, it was Punto and now this! man, you have a style and easily the way you have put forth your thoughts depicts the actual buyer sentiments and not to forget the fact that, attention to detail is impeccable.
Thanks a lot for the kind words DragonHawk. Glad you enjoyed going through it.

Quote:
Anyways ride safe and waiting for one more ownership review of INT650.
Work in progress
Old 17th July 2020, 11:23   #69
BHPian

Quote:
If you're still hell bent on that supersports track beast, maybe you should take a look at the ZX-10R too.
Not sure how long Kawasaki is going to take to launch the BS VI variant. The dealers aren't hopeful of anytime this year. But I hope they're proven otherwise.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 12:01   #70
BHPian

Congratulations Karthik for putting together this "master" review with such dedication & effort. What I liked is that just like a good torquey motorcycle, the energy in the write up never seemed to fade right from start and even when moving on beyond the bike towards the end on topics like accessories, gear & maintenance. Your review also highlights the hidden investments of a big touring machine wrt Accessories, gear etc which are sometimes neglected or postponed leading to risks. The numbers though eye watering is elephant in the room which a serious motorcyclist specially with pillion must address. Thanks for being so candid.
I specially enjoyed reading the flow chart & the Ninja is not for you section. I also would like to appreciate your better half who provided courage & sensible inputs to take big decisions.
Lastly I noticed how you have often mentioned in the review about how an upright stance is not preferred by you while touring as this means we will never see you touring on a adv machine.
Wishing you & your better half many more miles together with safety & bliss.
shaikhmimran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 10:07   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Not sure how long Kawasaki is going to take to launch the BS VI variant. The dealers aren't hopeful of anytime this year. But I hope they're proven otherwise.
It does sell quite well in that segment so they will definitely keep an eye out on launching it quickly. I hope they do it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Congratulations Karthik for putting together this "master" review with such dedication & effort. What I liked is that just like a good torquey motorcycle, the energy in the write up never seemed to fade right from start and even when moving on beyond the bike towards the end on topics like accessories, gear & maintenance. Your review also highlights the hidden investments of a big touring machine wrt Accessories, gear etc which are sometimes neglected or postponed leading to risks. The numbers though eye watering is elephant in the room which a serious motorcyclist specially with pillion must address. Thanks for being so candid.
I specially enjoyed reading the flow chart & the Ninja is not for you section. I also would like to appreciate your better half who provided courage & sensible inputs to take big decisions.

Wishing you & your better half many more miles together with safety & bliss.
Thanks a lot for your kind words shaikhmimran . Glad you liked going through the details and found it helpful.

Quote:
Lastly I noticed how you have often mentioned in the review about how an upright stance is not preferred by you while touring as this means we will never see you touring on a adv machine.
I definitely won't prefer an Adv for my fast travel trips and express mile munching, always been a sportbike guy for that. Maybe an additional small displacement Adv for rugged trails sometime in future, purely from a go-anywhere perspective at minimal cost and minimal fuss
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 10:41   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Maybe an additional small displacement Adv for rugged trails sometime in future, purely from a go-anywhere perspective at minimal cost and minimal fuss
Looking at something like the KTM 390 Adventure?

A small ADV will be a good starting point for the ADV love affair. BMW 310GS is also rumoured to be launching in it's BS6 avatar with a revised price tag soon.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 11:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Looking at something like the KTM 390 Adventure?

A small ADV will be a good starting point for the ADV love affair. BMW 310GS is also rumoured to be launching in it's BS6 avatar with a revised price tag soon.
I agree. BMW 310GS should be perfect for your needs - and you can soon step up to the big boys.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 11:08   #74
Senior - BHPian

Great write up Karthik. Frankly speaking i haven't gone through the entire post yet. Completed half of it and marked it for further reading. As mentioned by Neil, this would become a ready reckoner and sales pitch for the bike in comparison to not so great reviews about service by Kawasaki. I really liked the accessories list you added to the bike, bare required for any sport tourer and not too much of addition.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:24   #75
BHPian

Wow!, That was one superb piece of review. Easily one of the most comprehensive and exhaustive reviews I have read here on the forum. I guess it just reflects a methodical, patient mind and how much you must love your ride.

I did eye the N1000 when I went in to get my Z900, I was in two minds whether to go for the former. But I held back, as I wanted my other bike to be an Adv-tourer and did not want to increase my budget spend on the 1st bike. Hence, chose the Z. But, if I had gone for the N1000, it would surely have been in the black. I just hate the Kawasaki green colour with a vengeance. The black looks so sleek, menacing and shall I say does justice to the name, Ninja.

Also, what I liked is that you seem to have spent well on the accessories and good quality riding gears too and did not scrimp on that. It also helps to have the better half who is also enthusiastic on touring on the bike. That is a rare thing indeed. My mission now is to get my missus to do the same once this pandemic passes and your review and pictures will be one in my armamentarium to persuade her.

Wishing you many more miles of happy touring and rides on your beautiful machine.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed