Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2020, 14:51   #31
BHPian

re: Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!

Excellent and detailed review, I must say. The accessory cost breakup is something very useful for people planning to buy a big bike!
Considering you height and Ninja 1000's seat height, I was under the impression that you might have to considerably lean forward, which might be troublesome in long rides. But looks like, that's not a concern anymore. Ride safe!
prajakt_23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 15:06   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!

Hey karthik, did you start this thread few days after you picked the Ninja and gradually built over it, or this is the Corona impact?

Jokes apart, what a beautiful comprehensive review, loved reading it. The passion really stands out, wish you many more kms of happy and safe riding.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 15:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Kartik!

What a brilliant review! Don’t remember reading such a detailed write-up and excellent photography with explanations to match. You have covered everything somebody would like to know about the bike as well as a detailed insight into protection and covering premium riding gear, which gives an accountants perspective too.

A fantastic piece of information overall. Someone should forward a link of this thread to the Kawasaki team in India as well as Japan. They should be paying you for creating such an platform showcasing their motorcycle.

Please do keep the updates coming, ride safe and enjoy life with your evolved dream.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 14th July 2020 at 15:54.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 16:14   #34
BHPian

Excellent super detailed review. Enjoy the beauty with miles and miles of unforgettable rides. One thing that caught my attention immediately were the lights - those are some really good ones. I picked up a Z900 last October and the one thing which is a pain is the lights. I upgraded to the LEDs but apparently, its the design of the reflectors that do not gel well we the light throw pattern of the LEDs. Hoping to get some Baja Designs aux lights fixed.

Hopefully, once COVID settles down, I hope to ride to Bangalore to meet with all of you folk. Cheers!
krishsreedharan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 16:30   #35
BHPian

- but for motorcycles, I believe this goes hand in hand with riding.

One of the things that scares me the most is that we don't have licenses based on cubic capacity/engine power, and therefore, provided you have the pocket, you can jump straight to a litre class from a 100cc, but that's not the real issue here.

I would just like to know what training you took to ride this bike - Any track days? any tutors? books? any lessons you would care to share?

You say the litre class is forgiving, but you are probably the first person to ever say so. would love to hear your story to this - maybe even in a separate thread.
Otto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 17:19   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
- but for motorcycles, I believe this goes hand in hand with riding.

One of the things that scares me the most is that we don't have licenses based on cubic capacity/engine power, and therefore, provided you have the pocket, you can jump straight to a litre class from a 100cc, but that's not the real issue here.

I would just like to know what training you took to ride this bike - Any track days? any tutors? books? any lessons you would care to share?

You say the litre class is forgiving, but you are probably the first person to ever say so. would love to hear your story to this - maybe even in a separate thread.
When it comes to sports tourer, it is an easier transition, maybe not from a 100 cc to a 1000 cc, but if you have control on your wrist it's not too hard. I remember riding Ninja 1000 and it was very easy to pick it up, i did get a small scare as it masks speeds well, but since i was not ripping and we had it on lowest power it was manageable. You can gradually pick up slowly and get confident with the bike pretty quickly, and then go to hgher modes to enjoy the bike with the capabilities it offers.

Problem is with the Supersports, they are eager to lunge forward, a small twist of wrist can bring in a sudden surge of power, and will take relatively longer to master. For some one like karthik who has rideen quite a bit on different bikes(albeit not so powerful), transition is a little more easier.

I am garduating slowly towards that goal, 160 >300 > 650 (current) > ? (ZX6R?, Panigale?), time will tell.

So the major point till you have a control on wrist, and not the twist the wrist guy to show off types, along with a decent enough head on your shoulders, it's not too tough.

Last edited by AtheK : 14th July 2020 at 17:21.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 17:35   #37
BHPian

What an epic read Karthick. Nothing like a long and very detailed thread that makes up my day. Rating the thread 5 stars immediately.

Now coming to the bike, Black Ninjas just look so much more menacing than the green, but as most Ninja riders say the green bikes are faster . There is a chance you might have already heard this one enough times so I'm moving on.

Very tasteful choice of accessories all around. And the gear selection too, top-notch.

Loved the FAQ section especially, will help tons of people in coming up with a proper rational decision and not to mention the Flowchart too. I feel that pic should be added in the pinned post/sticky post in the Buying a big bike thread. Maybe the mods could make that happen.

Anyways, really hoping to read more about your ownership Exp with the bike and here's to wishing you both many many more miles with the bike. And hopefully might even be able to join you guys on a ride someday in the near future.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 19:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Karthik for an excellent thread. Now i know that you can write prose as good as the annoying messages on Whatsapp :P

I would also say that you made excellent choices in accessories as well as safety gear (especially helmet) - just that a proper exhaust would have completed the picture.

Since currently you are in the beginning of the transition period - this well maintained N1K would be a prized catch on the used market in about 6 months or so !
ethanhunt123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:10   #39
Team-BHP Support

Wow KK, this is one heck of a detailed ownership compilation. I know the kind of effort you must have put in, but then, you are not new to detailed ownership reviews. Your Punto and Linea T-Jet threads were amazingly detailed back in the day.

Your riding gear prices appear as a deal to me especially considering the brands you chose and the protection they provide.

Thanks for sharing this exhaustive report .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Since currently you are in the beginning of the transition period - this well maintained N1K would be a prized catch on the used market in about 6 months or so !
So, is he lured to an ADV or an all roads tourer like the Multistrada ?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
So, is he lured to an ADV or an all roads tourer like the Multistrada ?
I will let Karthik answer this question lest he accuse me of trolling
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
So, is he lured to an ADV or an all roads tourer like the Multistrada
Let's just say he has started with baby steps into the world of ADVs. Considering the current situation not being conducive to riding I'll give it a year before he jumps right into it.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:49   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Woah! Now this is a comprehensive review indeed! Well worth the wait. I think my favourite section is the accessories break up. For a first time big bike buyer that added cost can come as a huge sticker shock.
Ninja 1000 suits you perfectly. For your build its either that or the GS ��. Wishing you many more kms of pleasurable riding and considering you have an enviable garage of bikes from almost all segments you truly are spoilt for choice.
Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
First, very happy to see how your dreams evolved and many riders can connect to it.

Buying the bike that you love the most cannot be descrbed so easily. Still you have written this post with beautiful thoughts. Comprehensive review !!!
The only part that I disliked is seeing the flowchart The amount of details captured is extrordinary. I think Kawasaki can take this ownership thread and publish a brochure for Ninja 1000.
Thanks for the kind words Nedu.

Quote:
Coming to the machine, the black Ninja looks so elegant. I am not a big fan of aftermarket exhausts. The exhaut note of this machine sounds silky smooth and sweet without being a rowdy. This is my subjective opinion, but I like the sedate exhaut note. Though I havent ridden this machine, I hear great feedback about the beautiful midrange power. As you pointed out, my only concern about the bike is the kerb weight. Even other wise, it is a lovely machine.

Last, I am not a big fan of tampering either the electricals or the mechanicals. I hope you too remain the same. Wish you a safe and happy riding
You said it very well about the stock exhaust note being balanced. And as you suggested, I will be retaining the stock mechanicals and electricals as is. The factory form is pretty well thought out and sufficient for our touring needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Lovely review KarthikK. The scenario is very similar to what I'm going through right now. I've sold my Street Triple 675 and eyeing a supersport but again is it worth it all that money when you know you won't be doing track often to utilize her full potential.
If you're still hell bent on that supersports track beast, maybe you should take a look at the ZX-10R too. You never know what might change after a showroom visit!

Quote:
That's why Ninja 1000 sx MY 2021 has made a break-through of "Best of Both Worlds" as Kawasaki calls it as well.

All the bells and whistles required and such below test riding reviews have been outstanding and inspiring for a 235Kgs meat.

I'm yet to TD the bike and hope she doesn't disappoint.

https://www.mcnews.com.au/2020-kawas...1000sx-review/

Ride safe and wish you many happy miles on her!
Thanks a lot. Nice to hear you are considering this machine as well. Wishing you a good test ride experience and hoping you get to your purchase soon and treat us to a thread.

Nice link as well, I went through it. I think the 2020 SX version has become a bit sportier than the outgoing version. Cruise control I don't know, but the quickshifter should be a welcome addition for some fun use on empty stretches. The 2020 black trim now has green stripes by the way, but they don't look gaudy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Many congrats Karthik for the beast and achieving the dream of owning a big bike. Isn't it amazing when your partner understands your passion and pushes you to go for it!
Thank you so much, You bet the latter helps a lot.

Quote:
I think it is wise to stick with Kawasaki ASC until you have warranty although with Kawasaki's reliability, there is hardly a chance of anything failing anytime soon.

If you plan to go to an outside garage, you may consider Motospark near Bannerghatta road. I've been going there since they opened. The owner name is Yassar and he rides a Z800. He is a passionate technician and a very knowledgeable and honest guy. Just message me if you want to get in touch with him.
Thanks for this suggestion Anshuman, I have heard this name crop up with other friends too. I'll definitely consider this after the warranty period expires and if Kawasaki continues their current antics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Truly benchmark thread, KK. It feels good to see you back and active on the forum.

Covers all the details a prospective Ninja 1000 owner would ever need to know - the accessories and gear costs especially is eye watering, when seen all together. Lol! Though it is also common knowledge that many European brand owners spend multiples of this amount on branded accessories and matching gear.

Last week - there was a discussion on good biking forums. After reading //M's passionate Tiger 800 thread the previous weekend and this epic thread of your's now- I guess we can confidently say that our biking content is well above others in terms of quality.

Looking forward to regular updates on rides and maintenance - and also reports on all the other beautiful machines in your garage.
Thanks a lot for the kind words CD. Yeah that was quite a hiatus. Glad to be back and will update the thread with details as and when something comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Excellent ownership experience thread man, you've covered everything possible.
Thanks a lot for the wishes.

Quote:
I've sorted out the ground clearance issues by switching to aftermarket headers only and retaining the stock end cans. This way you won't get in trouble with the cops also.

Just a quick tip in case you have OCD like me. The circled part in the below pic can be removed (It weighs nearly a kilo I felt). It's only use is to attach the saree guard. It is a DIY job but unnecessarily complicated. PM me if you need details.
Thank you very much for this tip. It definitely helps to remove that extra weight which is hanging around. I'll PM you for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Dear Lord, Thats one of the most comprehensive review I have laid my eyes on. Going to take a week to go through it

I was in a similar dilemma too, and upgraded from an RC390. But considering my need was for a more agile and aggressive motorcycle, I jumped on to the 790 Duke bandwagon. Fantastic pictures and great buy. Happy and safe riding.
Thank you for the kind words. I've put your thread on my reading list since I got back to the forum just today. Great to hear you make that logical switch within KTM. The 790 is a deadly assassin and for solo use it is a hoot to exploit. The exhaust note is addictive whenever I hear it on youtube videos. I'll catch up on your thread for more details on your 790.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
My goodness, what a comprehensive thread! I thought I knew quite a bit about the N1000 but this thread opened my eyes to so many different aspects of the bike.
Thanks a lot for the wishes Neil sir, happy to hear it was useful in some aspects.

Quote:
Now please do justice to all the other motorcycles in your garage and create similar threads on them!
You bet! *wink*

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajakt_23 View Post
Excellent and detailed review, I must say. The accessory cost breakup is something very useful for people planning to buy a big bike!
Thanks a lot prajakt_23!

Quote:
Considering you height and Ninja 1000's seat height, I was under the impression that you might have to considerably lean forward, which might be troublesome in long rides. But looks like, that's not a concern anymore. Ride safe!
Oh well, unlike bicycles motorcycles don't come in different sized frames so one has to make do and the body will eventually adapt I guess, lol! Unless of course the mismatch is too drastic. Fortunately this one paid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Hey karthik, did you start this thread few days after you picked the Ninja and gradually built over it, or this is the Corona impact?

Jokes apart, what a beautiful comprehensive review, loved reading it. The passion really stands out, wish you many more kms of happy and safe riding.
Thanks a lot for your kind words Athek! Its been a long time since we caught up on a ride. I think the last one was that Rocky ridge ride in Jan or Feb.

Yes, the thread first part of the photoshoot was done long ago, later I completed the rest of it during the covid lockdowns, haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Congratulations Kartik!

What a brilliant review! Don’t remember reading such a detailed write-up and excellent photography with explanations to match. You have covered everything somebody would like to know about the bike as well as a detailed insight into protection and covering premium riding gear, which gives an accountants perspective too.

A fantastic piece of information overall. Someone should forward a link of this thread to the Kawasaki team in India as well as Japan. They should be paying you for creating such an platform showcasing their motorcycle.

Please do keep the updates coming, ride safe and enjoy life with your evolved dream.
Thank you for the warm words Cyborg, I am delighted to know you enjoyed the details added in the thread. I'll definitely keep the updates coming and make sure regular information is added here over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
Excellent super detailed review. Enjoy the beauty with miles and miles of unforgettable rides. One thing that caught my attention immediately were the lights - those are some really good ones.
Thanks a lot krishsreedharan! Yeah the lights pleasantly surprised me as well, I didn't expect stock lights to be so good before this.

Quote:
I picked up a Z900 last October and the one thing which is a pain is the lights. I upgraded to the LEDs but apparently, its the design of the reflectors that do not gel well we the light throw pattern of the LEDs. Hoping to get some Baja Designs aux lights fixed.

Hopefully, once COVID settles down, I hope to ride to Bangalore to meet with all of you folk. Cheers!
Congratulations on the Z900, that is one fine naked monster. Oh yes, the LED bulb swap with stock reflectors don't solve the problem that well as I've seen and heard with other friends. Aux lights should be a much better option. Since you have Baja in your crosshairs, I think you can't go wrong with lights anymore. Even their tiniest S1 series single LED aux lights pack quite a punch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post

13 years of all kinds of Indian highways, a few falls in my younger years, encountering a zillion idiots and bizarre situations in every ride/drive, and quite a few grey hair (to ride maturely and know when to use how much throttle) are enough

That is not to say a trackday tutorial session with an established riding school such as CSS won't help. Yes they definitely will help hone additional skills and unlearn some mistakes, hopefully sometime in future I get to attend one of those courses and fine tune my skills.

Bad luck, lack of experience / overconfidence and the nut behind the wheel (or in this case behind the handlebar) have more to do with getting into ugly situations than mere textbook trainings/techniques on a track.

Quote:
Oh no, you got me wrong. Different litre class bikes behave differently based on what they are designed for. I have mentioned multiple times in my review as well, if you're not careful with the throttle you can kill yourself with any litre class sportbike, and that goes the same way with this one as well.

This one is tuned to be manageable on the street or on the open roads alike. This is not to be confused with the litre class track bikes such as the ZX-10R where the power delivery in the low end is luke warm, and becomes rocket-like once you enter the mid range.

What I was specifically referring to by 'forgiving' was that on this bike, the power delivery from low end to high end range of rpm is linear and predictable, and the heat is minimal. By riding smoothly and sanely, it does not feel jumpy, uncomfortable to ride or uncontrollable even in a traffic jam. Relative to a supersports litre class bike, this is very much forgiving in that sense. AtheK has explained it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
What an epic read Karthick. Nothing like a long and very detailed thread that makes up my day. Rating the thread 5 stars immediately.

Now coming to the bike, Black Ninjas just look so much more menacing than the green, but as most Ninja riders say the green bikes are faster . There is a chance you might have already heard this one enough times so I'm moving on.

Very tasteful choice of accessories all around. And the gear selection too, top-notch.
Thanks a lot for the kind words krishnaprasadgg! Glad to know you enjoyed going through the thread.

Quote:
Loved the FAQ section especially, will help tons of people in coming up with a proper rational decision and not to mention the Flowchart too. I feel that pic should be added in the pinned post/sticky post in the Buying a big bike thread. Maybe the mods could make that happen.
Maybe that should become fodder for a new thread. Multiple flowcharts for different segments, lol!

Quote:
Anyways, really hoping to read more about your ownership Exp with the bike and here's to wishing you both many many more miles with the bike. And hopefully might even be able to join you guys on a ride someday in the near future.
Hope to ride with you soon once all this hibernation ends!

Quote:
Congrats Karthik for an excellent thread. Now i know that you can write prose as good as the annoying messages on Whatsapp :P

I would also say that you made excellent choices in accessories as well as safety gear (especially helmet) - just that a proper exhaust would have completed the picture.
Thanks Ethan! yeah a full system exhaust will have been good music to the ears but since I'm almost always 2-up touring on this one, the loud noise ringing through the pillion's ears the whole day will be a hassle I cannot justify to the better half. Will have to let that pass.

Quote:
No transition is happening for the next many years on this one, hard to find an oddball bike like this one which is sportbike yet allows travel. The next nearest one in this category is probably the H2SX SE and that has an astronomical price tag way above my abilities of even dreaming of!

Quote:
Wow KK, this is one heck of a detailed ownership compilation. I know the kind of effort you must have put in, but then, you are not new to detailed ownership reviews. Your Punto and Linea T-Jet threads were amazingly detailed back in the day.

Thanks for sharing this exhaustive report .
Thanks for the kind words, Sheel sir, long time no see!

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th July 2020 at 21:00.
KarthikK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 23:09   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I started reading this review in the morning and finished it now Great write up Karthik and you have not left anything uncovered. Now when do we have that four wheeler upgrade coming which will make yours an enviable collection of vehicles at home. Happy touring saar and let this COVID mess get over soon so that we can get back on the road!
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 23:15   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Thanks a lot for your kind words Athek! Its been a long time since we caught up on a ride. I think the last one was that Rocky ridge ride in Jan or Feb.
Indeed it was at Rocky ridge, it has been a long time. Hopefully COVID subsides a bit in coming months, and we can all meet up again for a nice breakfast and good chat, lot of catching up to do

Quote:
No transition is happening for the next many years on this one, hard to find an oddball bike like this one which is sportbike yet allows travel. The next nearest one in this category is probably the H2SX SE and that has an astronomical price tag way above my abilities of even dreaming of!
Quote:

What is cooking here, which ducati is being sold now!!
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 01:03   #45

Oh my god! What a fantastic review!
It is indeed a big leap from the karizma but then your heart always longed for it..
It was the same case with my dad, but he now regrets that he took a bit too long to materialize his big bike dream because his body isn’t coping well with his passion. And the bike is rather become a showpiece now than a mile muncher. Hope you ride as much as you can with your new jap mate!
Really happy to see that you haven’t cut corners in spending for the essential accessories and especially your riding gear
Also,even though you opted for an regular registration number, it is as fancy as it could have been for me because it has my initials on it
Congratulations once again .
Ride hard, ride safe
KP56 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed