Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 09:15   #121
Team-BHP Support

re: Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The black missile getting some rest before the return journey
Another lovely trip with the Black Missile!

That property looks really luxurious for a homestay. Nice food shots too. Yummy!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 12:12   #122
BHPian

re: Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!

Superb writeup and pics Karthikk! Could you please share some insight on touring experience and pillion comfort with Ninja 1000. I've a ZX10R and was planning a move towards a sports tourer sometime in future for better ride comfort and touring possibilities with my better half. TIA!
Shanky_1002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 19:53   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky_1002 View Post
Could you please share some insight on touring experience and pillion comfort with Ninja 1000.
I guess you missed 8th post in the thread. His flow chart and subsequent Q&A is an encyclopaedia in itself.

Last edited by ast.ggn : 27th September 2021 at 19:55.
ast.ggn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 21:33   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb pics, and a great getaway, I will bookmark this place to visit with a couple of friends and there family.

I noticed your rear number plates are still the old one, good idea to get them replaced at least with IND plates, before you are stopped for Hafta vasooli!!
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:07   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
With the darn virus still around and far from going away, this is a good thing. This means you're in your own bubble and even if there is someone else tagging along with you, you stay within your bubble. If the guest was another party, that bubble is broken which adds risk.

Beautiful property.
Very true, it is good that they are maximizing safety and individual group privacy over just maximizing profits by running at full occupancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Another lovely trip with the Black Missile!

That property looks really luxurious for a homestay. Nice food shots too. Yummy!
Thanks a lot CD! Awaiting your return to the big bike capital so that we can resume some rides again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky_1002 View Post
Superb writeup and pics Karthikk! Could you please share some insight on touring experience and pillion comfort with Ninja 1000. I've a ZX10R and was planning a move towards a sports tourer sometime in future for better ride comfort and touring possibilities with my better half. TIA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
I guess you missed 8th post in the thread. His flow chart and subsequent Q&A is an encyclopaedia in itself.
I guess ast.ggn pointed out the post where I have elaborated on the nitty gritties of the Ninja 1000's ergonomics, haha. Do let me know if you have any specific questions and I would be glad to help out from my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Superb pics, and a great getaway, I will bookmark this place to visit with a couple of friends and there family.

I noticed your rear number plates are still the old one, good idea to get them replaced at least with IND plates, before you are stopped for Hafta vasooli!!
Thanks for the kind words AtheK! It is indeed a great place for a private family get together.

My bike was registered before April 2019, so it didn't come under the mandatory HSRP rule actually. For vehicles registered after that, the dealer + RTO would work to ensure that only a HSRP plate is fitted on the vehicle immediately after registration.

For older vehicles, it is not yet mandatory to replace the old conventional number plates to HSRP. In fact the government is still in the process of issuing tenders to pick some vendor to manufacture and dispense these for older vehicles in the state (refer news article below).

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...lates-7432753/

While one can get a fake lookalike HSRP IND plate from local accessory shops any time, the BTP is also doing a drive against those fake HSRP (IND) plates and fining them also ! I think the better option for old vehicles is to wait until the HSRP rule for old vehicles is well sorted and we know how and where to get these plates from.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 20:53   #126
Team-BHP Support

Ownership update at 3 years / 36 months - Tyres changed to Metzeler Sportec M9RR

In recent times, perhaps the most important update that I have for this thread is that I got the stock tyres changed out finally. In one of my previous updates I had posted that I had purchased and stashed away a pair of Metzeler Sportec M9RR tyres for future use. I wanted to avoid any risks of tyre shop jugaad while mounting / unmounting the wheels from the bike (some of them don't use front paddock stand, stories of the swingarm slipping from the paddock stand, etc).

Fellow Ninja 1000 owner ebmrajesh and I (he also changed out his tyres) both went to Rideventur service centre and got the wheels removed there. We then hand-carried the wheels and the new tyres to Madhus Tyre Centre, Wilson garden where the staff were thoroughly professional and helped complete the tyre change and the balancing in record time.

Taking Rideventur staff's help to disconnect the wheels carefully
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0175.jpg

The Bridgestone stock tyres were removed from the alloy wheels
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0179.jpg

Goodbye Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S20, thanks for the service!
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0185.jpg

Newer, sportier, super sticky shoes for the Ninja - Metzeler Sportec M9RR. Now wearing 190/55 on the rear instead of the stock 190/50 section
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0180.jpg

Wheel balancing done at Madhus after changing the tyres
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0186.jpg

The bike with new shoes installed and ready for the next season of touring
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0189.jpg

The service centre charged me for labour for disconnecting and fitting back the wheels and for wheel balancing (they forgot I had already done it at Madhus and I also forgot to tell them). This was the cost at Rideventur for wheel fitment
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0853.jpg

Review on the Sportec M9RR tyres - One word - Flawless! It was remarkable to experience the incredible levels of confidence and grip even cornering in extreme rain and slushy terrain on mountain roads, I have not experienced anything this sticky (my first tyre change on the Ninja). Of course, it goes without saying that the grip levels in the dry were stellar as well. I certainly enjoyed the grip levels and will value that, due to the nature of touring that my better half and I do round the year, and to places that might sometimes throw terrain challenges.
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img20211113150052.jpg

Post-Valparai inverse chicken strips shows just how much eager the bike is to lean into corners confidently with the Sportecs
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img20211114130043.jpg

Ride to Thalanar forest (beyond Valparai, TN)

The first ride after the tyre change was in mid November and was with fellow BHPians shaikhmimran, ebmrajesh and neil.jericho to a desolate resort deep in the jungles of Thalanar, nestled in the hills of Valparai and beyond. This time my better half couldn't join due to some work commitments, so it was just us 4 BHPians, 3 from Bangalore and one from Kochi.

Unfortunately for us, the weather was so bad due to a cyclonic depression at that very time and all we got was mist, fog, clouds and a ton of rain all the way to the location and while at the location. Due to the very poor weather conditions, we couldn't step out much even for a stroll or hike around the beautiful rustic location we so eagerly chose and departed for. I leave you with some snaps and memories of the ride to complete this post.

Stopping at GRT Grand Estancia, Salem for breakfast after a rainy morning ride
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0199.jpg

Stopping for a break at the single lane section between Avinashi and Pollachi
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0207.jpg

The bikes at Aliyar dam reserve forest just before beginning the climb to Valparai
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0212.jpg

Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0217.jpg

The view from halfway up
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img20211113151602.jpg

Valparai to Thalanar in extreme conditions - totally engulfed by the clouds and riding in zero visibility
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img20211113155040_01.jpg

Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img20211113160901.jpg

Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img20211113155052.jpg

Some views of the homestay / resort where we were staying are seen below. It was raining heavily almost 99% of the time with zero visibility all around. The location was spectacular and in the middle of the wilderness and jungle around, alas it was a pity that we weren't able to explore anything around here. BHPian neil.jericho had come there in his car because his route from Kerala had reports of flooding, etc which he didn't want to risk. He had already reached the place and after we reached there, all of us just spent the rest of the evening chatting about various things automobile-related and everything else under the sun.
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-dscf2895.jpg

Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0226.jpg

The rooms were comfortable but the violent thundershowers ensured we had a sound and light show through the night, lol!
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0221.jpg

Individual shots of the three bikes in this ride - first is yours truly. The environment around is apt to convey the weather conditions for this ride
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-dscf2904.jpg

ebmrajesh's immaculately maintained and widely travelled Ninja 1000
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-pb141144.jpg

shaikhmimran's famous and well travelled Honda CBR 650F
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-pb141145.jpg

The three bikes in the parking lot of the 'startup resort', flanked by neil.jericho's versatile Honda Jazz. This place is called Mistly plantation bungalow (No, that's not a typo for 'misty', it really does have a 'L' in between). We jokingly refer to this place as '10 steps homestay', it was so compact that anywhere to anywhere just took 10 steps at the most. Rooms to dining area, Dining area to parking lot, Parking lot to courtyard, everything was within 10 steps of each other!
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-pb141039.jpg

We departed just before noon on the next day. Here is a departing shot from the resort, of the four of us
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-20211114_114205.jpg

One picture with our rides for the memory books - in the zero visibility region. Mystical yet so thrilling to experience Thalanar in this weather.
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-20211114_115351.jpg

On the way back we chanced upon an encounter with TVS Apache RR310 guru Fury_44, who recognized us and came to catch up for a few minutes (he was touring with a TVS rider group). Thanks for taking the time out to say hello to us, Fury_44!
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-20211114_122811.jpg

A picture of the biker trio making their way back down the hills in full rain and thunderstorm gear. A short yet memorable trip for the memory books
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-pb141154.jpg

The return ride was largely uneventful and a tankful of XP100 at Coimbatore ensured we rode quite spiritedly back to Bangalore by 8PM or thereabouts, thanks to some lively progressive house numbers belting on the Sena headset. The following day I had some free time so I took the bike for a thorough wash at my neighbourhood washing centre - Carzspa, HSR layout. Following the wash, I tanked up the bike with XP100 fuel and the bike stands ready for the next trip as we speak
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0284.jpg

This trip clocked in almost 900 km to open the account with the new set of tyres as the Ninja enters the fourth year of ownership and many more to come.
Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!-img_0285.jpg

That's all the updates I have for now. Until my next trip, ciao!

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th December 2021 at 21:16.
KarthikK is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 21:09   #127
Team-BHP Support

Love following your threads Karthikk.

I have two questions please :

1. On your version of the Ninja, which would be your choice of aftermarket exhausts (if any)

2. What’s your view on the single side exhaust in the current updated Ninja 1000 vs your model. Aesthetically I undoubtedly prefer the older twin exhaust look. But any other differences other than this obvious one?

Thank you.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th December 2021 at 05:26. Reason: As requested
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 23:01   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Love following your threads Karthikk.

I have two questions please :

1. On your version of the Ninja, which would be your choice of aftermarket exhausts (if any)
Hi Axe77, the Akrapovic ones seem to be popular in the Ninja owners’ group. I personally don’t use aftermarket exhausts on my bike (due to 2-up touring and wanting to remain discreet while touring) so I’m not very aware of which particular one would be the best choice. I can check with some groups and PM you later if you like.

Quote:
2. What’s your view on the single side exhaust in the current updated Ninja 1000 vs your model. Aesthetically I undoubtedly prefer the older twin exhaust look. But any other differences other than this obvious one?

Thank you.
Not much of a difference apart from aesthetics, and that again boils down to preference. The double side exhaust version adds 5 more kilos in weight, which explains why the latest 1000SX version went for the single side 4x1 layout. I have heard that theoretically, the double sided version is a bit more flexible and friendly for exhaust mods, but again I am not the right resource to advise on this unfortunately .

Last edited by Aditya : 12th December 2021 at 05:27. Reason: Quoted text edited
KarthikK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 16:48   #129
BHPian

Lovely write up! I may have missed it but after how many kms did you have to change the tyres?
bf1983 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 14:54   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Lovely write up! I may have missed it but after how many kms did you have to change the tyres?
Thanks bf1983, the stock Battlax tyres lasted a little over 12,000 km.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 15:15   #131
Team-BHP Support

Interesting choice of tyre. Somehow I missed this information between all our chats.

Initially I was wondering why you went for a proper supersport tyre instead of a more touring focussed option - but I'm surprised to learn that the M9RR is dual compound indeed. If I remember - the M7RR was not. Looks like a fun option for the Ninja.

Would like to see how long this one lasts - as even with the dual compound, it still seems to be more focussed on performance than longevity.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 15:40   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Interesting choice of tyre. Somehow I missed this information between all our chats.

Initially I was wondering why you went for a proper supersport tyre instead of a more touring focussed option - but I'm surprised to learn that the M9RR is dual compound indeed. If I remember - the M7RR was not. Looks like a fun option for the Ninja.
I didn't have too much of choice when I purchased this in January. None of the popular touring options were available in recent stocks, and Roadtec SE was frightfully expensive. If I remember correctly, there were just old stocks of Diablo Rosso 3, Angel GT2 and M7RR, mostly 2018 manufactured and thereabouts.

In fresh stocks, M9RR was the only nice thing available. I looked up reviews and although it is a supersport tyre, Metz claims to have improved tyre life on the M9RR by over 25% compared to M7RR. A lot of users abroad seem to have good things to say about it even as a sport-touring tyre. 10,000 km is more than enough for me. I'll take the extra grip over extra life and have some more fun and confidence, considering my low running rate of ~4000-5000 km per year . At this rate it should last me 2+ years from now which I am okay with.

Quote:
Would like to see how long this one lasts - as even with the dual compound, it still seems to be more focussed on performance than longevity.
True, I would also like to see how long this lasts with our style of touring. The previous month's Valparai trip was definitely a stellar experience with this tyre and I have no issues getting the same thing again, if it proves itself in the longevity department at least for 10k km. If it doesn't, well, there are always other options to try next time
KarthikK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 21:47   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Hi Axe77,.
Hi Karthikk:

I believe the difference between your Ninja 1000 and the 1000 SX is (maybe there are more) ride by wire throttle and quick shifter. How big do you rate these upgrades. I have seen both versions hit the used market now and am just wondering do these two features justify the extra moolah an SX 1000 would command. The third key difference is the snazzier TFT although I wouldn’t care too much about that either way. TFTs are nice but analogs have their own charm too.

Thanks.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 21:52   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hi Karthikk:

I believe the difference between your Ninja 1000 and the 1000 SX is (maybe there are more) ride by wire throttle and quick shifter.
Not a Ninja guy - but the biggest difference seems to be steering geometry with the reduced rake angle? Multiple reviews says the 1000SX is more agile than earlier versions.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 22:54   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not a Ninja guy - but the biggest difference seems to be steering geometry with the reduced rake angle? Multiple reviews says the 1000SX is more agile than earlier versions.
Thanks man. Somehow every time I look at the SX, the only thing my eyes are drawn to are the single side exhaust, which does not hold a candle to the gorgeous dual side set up of its predecessor. I know I’m being superfluous but I simply can’t get over that one change.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed