Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2021, 21:10   #31

re: 2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs

6.95L is a good pricing for a triple cylinder. I will be test riding to see if this will be a potential replacement for my Z650. It has same torque and much more power than the Z650 and must be smoother as it's a triple.
My only concern would be luggage carrying capacity for long tours. I've got just enough space in the Z650. If it's the same, perfect.
5hank3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 09:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hank3r View Post
6.95L is a good pricing for a triple cylinder. I will be test riding to see if this will be a potential replacement for my Z650. It has same torque and much more power than the Z650 and must be smoother as it's a triple.
My only concern would be luggage carrying capacity for long tours. I've got just enough space in the Z650. If it's the same, perfect.
Yes power wise it will be a decent step up from the Z650. However if you would like luggage carrying capacity you might be in for a bad surprise as neither the Street Triple nor this bike is a good tourer. The Z650 is a bigger bike than this and the Z650 is not a big bike at all. IMO maybe make a thread asking for suggestions on what bike to upgrade from a Z650.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 20:20   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since the bike hasnt reached India, it is difficult to say this conclusively, but from what we have seen of international reviews, the Trident 660 looks like a small bike. I agree with bf1983, it feels like touring on the Trident might be tricky, especially if you are bigger rider than the average Indian.

Add to this, Triumph India's service record, which is patchy at best and there seems to be little interest top down to improve things and keep owners happy around the country with consistent service quality. There is enough and more proof of this on the forum and elsewhere on the interwebs.

If you want a multi cylinder bike and plan to carry luggage for long tours, look no further than the brilliant Honda CBR650R (new) / F (preowned). There are lots of very happy riders in India who tour the country on their Honda 650s and love the experience. Plus you get Honda's great service and extremely low cost of spares. Check out TBHPian Added_Flavour's excellent and detailed ownership thread for more details - Link.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 23:13   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
it feels like touring on the Trident might be tricky, especially if you are bigger rider than the average Indian.
I have a liking for smaller bikes as they are quite handy, light and nimble. And I am not particularly 'big'(5'9" avg built). But I'm afraid you are right about touring in it.

Quote:
Add to this, Triumph India's service record, which is patchy at best and there seems to be little interest top down to improve things and keep owners happy around the country with consistent service quality.
Trust me, Kawasaki is no better. Especially Kawasaki Kochi. Since there is no service center in Trivandrum, they have to deal with all the bike service south of Trissur. Most of the premium bikes being Kawasaki, this is an issue.

Quote:
If you want a multi cylinder bike and plan to carry luggage for long tours, look no further than the brilliant Honda CBR650R (new) / F (preowned)
I don't really crave for more cylinders. The problem with CBR 650r is that, it has comparatively lower torque and for that to achieve we have to climb above 7000rpm(typical in-line 4). Z650 provides its peak torque right from 4000rpm. This lower end torque is really helpful riding in Kerala, as we have no straight highways. If I were living in any other state, CBR would have made sense. And, I love naked bikes.
My considerations for the upgrade are>
> Ducati Scrambler(I adore this bike)
> Triumph Street tripe R (expensive)
> Triumph Trident (looking forward to the test drive)
> Kawasaki Z900 (If none of the above works out)
5hank3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:

Add to this, Triumph India's service record, which is patchy at best and there seems to be little interest top down to improve things and keep owners happy around the country with consistent service quality. There is enough and more proof of this on the forum and elsewhere on the interwebs.

If you want a multi cylinder bike and plan to carry luggage for long tours, look no further than the brilliant Honda CBR650R (new) / F (preowned). There are lots of very happy riders in India who tour the country on their Honda 650s and love the experience. Plus you get Honda's great service and extremely low cost of spares. Check out TBHPian Added_Flavour's excellent and detailed ownership thread for more details - Link.
Triumph India (TI) is utterly incompetent and disgraceful in their attitude when it comes to handling its customers. A few dealers indulge in unethical business. TI was notified about this many times in the past and they utterly lack the courage to keep its dealers under check. One can handle the incompetency part, but one needs to take a bold step to clean the unethical business. Things range from swapping the brake pads, selling bike with broken chassis, misleading the customers on the actual service done, etc., are the trademark signs of a couple of dealers. Believe me, there are some more pathetic stories about Triumph which are discussed only in the closed whatsup groups.

Before anyone can think of buying a Triumph bike, please go through these threads. The pathetic part is that things haven’t changed.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ing-brand.html (Triumph Motorcycles India : Is after-sales service killing this brand?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ce-issues.html (Triumph Cochin - Repeated service issues)

Triumph makes beautiful bikes, but TI and its dealers are a curse for any passionate biker.

When the TBHP thread was raised highlighting the Triumph service issues, the head of TI promised to meet the customers in Bangalore, but nothing happened till now. It is very much clear that they made false promise just to ensure that there is no any negative impact on the new launch going around that time. Things haven’t changed a bit on the ground. No doubt, there are few dealers who are doing a good job. The rest looks like a bunch of jokers who have no passion to run the business.

If some one asks me an advice on getting a Triumph bike, I would strongly recommend to stay away from Triumph. If TI can’t control the dealers, they have no business to sell their bikes in India.
shan_ned is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:56   #36

Thank you for these links. I never expected this kind of behavior from TI. The problem with Kawasaki service was that they are always busy(or are they? not when you are buying). Once, I gave the bike to them for some repairs and I was out of the country for a month. When I came back, the bike was in same condition, not even touched. I had to followup for 2 weeks for them to get it done. But they did a fine job when they did. Reading the threads above, Triumph service seems to be a downgrade.
Quote:
You could have just given me the link to your post. Z900 moves 2 spots up now
5hank3r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:12   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Triumph India (TI) is utterly incompetent and disgraceful in their attitude when it comes to handling its customers. A few dealers indulge in unethical business. TI was notified about this many times in the past and they utterly lack the courage to keep its dealers under check. One can handle the incompetency part, but one needs to take a bold step to clean the unethical business. Things range from swapping the brake pads, selling bike with broken chassis, misleading the customers on the actual service done, etc., are the trademark signs of a couple of dealers. Believe me, there are some more pathetic stories about Triumph which are discussed only in the closed whatsup groups.
shan_ned, unfortunately things havent improved one bit in these bad dealerships and more customers are slowly speaking out about their dismal experiences, even if it is in limited social circles like whatsapp. Potential buyers of the Trident should know the reality on the ground. Many of them will be first time big bike buyers and would expect a premium sales and after sales experience.

As you rightly pointed out, the two big issues stem from
1. Integrity (or rather, the absence of it)
2. Incompetence

Which one is worse? To me, incompetence can be fixed by hiring the right people and getting them trained as per Triumph's processes. We have seen examples with Triumph's competitors. But integrity cannot be taught. Once the rot sets in, it is impossible to fix it unless the dealer principal is going to take a bold decision and fire the very same crooked employees that are causing him to lose business every month.

There are plenty of examples across both these parameters for the bad Triumph dealerships, some of them are so awful that bikers who dont own Triumphs will have a tough time believing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Triumph makes beautiful bikes, but TI and its dealers are a curse for any passionate biker.
Everyone looks at the monthly sales figures thread and wonders why Triumph India doesnt sell more bikes when they have such excellent products in their lineup. Yes, high pricing is a factor, but increasingly, the bad reputation of Triumph dealerships has played a major role in Triumph losing sales.

And the most baffling thing is that from the top of Triumph India to the dealer principals who have invested their hard earned money in setting up a dealership but have crooks and ignorant people working for them, everyone is just sitting back and doing nothing.

I am sure that many current Triumph owners will move out of the Triumph family when it comes time for them to upgrade.

Quote:
Trust me, Kawasaki is no better. Especially Kawasaki Kochi. Since there is no service center in Trivandrum, they have to deal with all the bike service south of Trissur. Most of the premium bikes being Kawasaki, this is an issue.
Quote:
Thank you for these links. I never expected this kind of behavior from TI. The problem with Kawasaki service was that they are always busy(or are they? not when you are buying). Once, I gave the bike to them for some repairs and I was out of the country for a month. When I came back, the bike was in same condition, not even touched. I had to followup for 2 weeks for them to get it done. But they did a fine job when they did. Reading the threads above, Triumph service seems to be a downgrade.
This is not the first time that I am hearing of a Kawasaki Kerala dealership (both are owned by the same company) being very slow in doing their work. Your story bears an uncanny resemblance to another incidence that I heard of recently, regarding a Ninja 250 and work not being done for ages. I havent heard issues with quality of workmanship with them so far.

Quote:
If I were living in any other state, CBR would have made sense. And, I love naked bikes.
My considerations for the upgrade are>
> Ducati Scrambler(I adore this bike)
> Triumph Street tripe R (expensive)
> Triumph Trident (looking forward to the test drive)
> Kawasaki Z900 (If none of the above works out)
Quote:
You could have just given me the link to your post. Z900 moves 2 spots up now
The scrambler is a tiny bike and again, it might be a step back for your touring needs I would throw the Ducati Monster into consideration and add the Versys 650 as well. That might be perfect.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:39   #38
BHPian

Neil, some dealers are notorious for screwing a good bike when the bike arrives at the service Center. Keerthi Bangalore leads the list as far as I know.

I am not even going to talk about the unethical part as it might cause depression for lovers of Triumph bikes. Just on the incompetency part, there are many stories which can be considered as epics. Cases of damaging the front forks, creating dents in the fuel tank, messing up the electronics, allowing oil leak at the engine head head right after the 20k service (involves opening the engine head and replacing the gaskets), etc.., This is a big list of mess up done at the Svc. The bikes keep running good for many years and suddenly start having a whole range of problems right after the service.
The question to be asked is whether TI is deliberately allowing monkeys to service and sabotage the old bikes just to push the sales of new bikes. I won’t be surprised if they indulge in such a manner.

Let us leave aside the dealers. Even the the guys managing the TI should be thrown out if things have to improve. A guy by name Punit (from TI) had all the courage to keep quite even after a mega meeting with bangalore customers who complained big about Keerthi. He just did nothing after the meeting. This is sheer arrogance.

Good luck for all potential buyers of Triumph bikes.
shan_ned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:45   #39
Team-BHP Support

For those who want to check out the sound in detail -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 11:40   #40
BHPian

Launching soon
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-triumph-trident.jpg  

Jhinchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 16:13   #41
BHPian

With the horror stories of Triumph service I am not sure how many would line up to own one. Would be great if Triumph can fix their service first and improve service experience.

Also looking at CB500X pricing and other superbike pricing, I think this would definitely be priced more than 7 lakhs ex-showroom making it reach 9 lakhs on-road in most states. Heart hopes to see them price this sensibly but my mind says otherwise.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

Sorry I'm unaware, but is this in the same category as 500X? Just today I signed up for TD on the Triumph site So you got Versys and VSTROM there, for company. Suzuki has been calling me consistently. Need to check out their offering
Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Also looking at CB500X pricing and other superbike pricing, I think this would definitely be priced more than 7 lakhs ex-showroom making it reach 9 lakhs on-road in most states. Heart hopes to see them price this sensibly but my mind says otherwise.
Old 18th March 2021, 20:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Sorry I'm unaware, but is this in the same category as 500X? Just today I signed up for TD on the Triumph site So you got Versys and VSTROM there, for company.
No it's not. It's supposed to be more in direct competition/comparison with the Kawasaki Z650 (parallel twin) and Honda's CB650R (inline 4). CB500X is more Versys and Vstrom territory.
TheVaas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the video. I want to source this 'compact' rear seat storage. Any idea of the make? Is it Givi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
For those who want to check out the sound in detail
Attached Images

Old 18th March 2021, 20:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Sorry I'm unaware, but is this in the same category as 500X? Just today I signed up for TD on the Triumph site So you got Versys and VSTROM there, for company. Suzuki has been calling me consistently. Need to check out their offering
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
No it's not. It's supposed to be more in direct competition/comparison with the Kawasaki Z650 (parallel twin) and Honda's CB650R (inline 4). CB500X is more Versys and Vstrom territory.
Not in the same category, but just saying if Triumph get carried away like Honda did and price this over 7 lakhs then Good luck to Triumph selling this bike with the level of service they offer to customers. This is just the old Street Triple engine with some modifications.

As I have always maintained, this is priced a 1000 pounds less than Street Twin in UK. The Street Twin is priced at 7.45 lakhs ex-showroom here. So just wishful thinking that the sweet spot will be 6.5 lakhs for this bike. We will know during launch which should be around the corner.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks