Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2021, 20:06   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs

It's like Yamaha FZ. So small, nobody will notice it
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I have not been able to see the bike in person. How big or small is it? I am 6'1 and looking at the pictures it looks too small for me.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 21:17   #167
BHPian

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
It's like Yamaha FZ. So small, nobody will notice it

Thanks. That is too small a bike for me then. How is the pillion comfort, enough space for the pillion? I am better off with cb350 rs. I will check it out once sometime next week.
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 02:46   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Then came my turn, so I took a few pics - switched on ignition, and was just about to check the riding stance when another Sales guy appeared from nowhere and says 'Please do not touch the bike'. I was shocked and looked at him quizzingly. He continued that it was a 'customer vehicle they have kept on display'. So i asked him 'where is the Trident for me to touch and feel?' To which he says 'this is the only one and we sold it'. I just rushed out of the showroom, since I was absolutely seething by now. If this is how they treat the 'well heeled' at the 'Sales stage', I shudder to think of the service. So there are basically two types of people at Keerthi, the first guy (Extremely courteous) and the second (the rude types). They wronged two people today; the customer whose bike it was (on the showroom floor demo) and a future probable customer. Could they have handled it differently, I wonder?
Sorry for your bad experience. I have faced similar experiences with KTM, Kawasaki and Honda with the Duke 200 (1st gen), Ninja 300 and CBR250R respectively. Of course, these are bikes from the last decade, when the 250-300cc market was considered elite. One would think that as time passed, things have changed but clearly they haven’t.

I completely agree that using a customer’s vehicle for display or test rides is unethical. Keerthi should’ve put out the information that the bike was either ‘sold’ or was for ‘display purpose only’.

One rule that I absolutely follow every time I go shopping is, ask the sales person if I could try the product. Be it a pair of jeans in the Levi’s store or a deodorant at Spar. I don’t have to do it because the Levi’s store has dressing rooms that are meant to try out the clothes I may/may not buy and the deodorant at Spar has a sticker on it that says ‘Tester’ which, is for me to spray on my body to my heart’s content. I ask for the permission because I believe that unless I don’t pay for the product, it isn’t mine and I would like to ensure that the selling party is fine with me trying the product they currently own. It also helps that the sales person feels a sense of pride in his/her job and creates a friendly atmosphere for the both of us.

Yours could’ve been the case that there was a communication gap between the two sales attendees, where the one didn’t know the other had made the sale, the latter was trying to safeguard the bike and you were plain unlucky that he noticed you swinging a leg over and not the earlier customer. This is purely my assumption. Terribly bad service reputation aside, the sales at Keerthi have been an absolute bliss for me personally every time I have visited.

Since it is a brand new launch, suggest you cut some slack for the dealership and do a proper TR to see if the size of the bike is forgotten through its performance.

Last edited by Porschefire : 16th April 2021 at 02:52.
Porschefire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 05:46   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm really boiling at the reception Keerthi Triumph gave me today. I'd gone to check out the Trident,

They wronged two people today; the customer whose bike it was (on the showroom floor demo) and a future probable customer..
Yikes. That is not a good experience. I am really surprised that there isn’t a dedicated demo / display bike. I suspect its simply a matter of time and in due course they will have one that is dedicated not just as display but a test ride bike. It’s only a matter of time I suppose. Few general observations from your post.

1. At least in Mumbai, there is a very clear demarcated area where SOLD bikes are kept. So there is no confusion of accidentally sitting on these. I clearly know where the SOLD bikes are and where the DISPLAY bikes are based on where they are placed or by their prominent marking / labelling.

2. I am pretty confident that they will have demo / TD bikes really soon. It’s literally a hot off the press launch so its a matter of time before their own allocated bike comes to them.

3. I would NEVER switch the ignition on of a bike sitting inside the showroom without first asking the sales person. I have bought two new Triumphs since 2017, know most of the sales team by first name, and to this day, if I’m going to switch on a bike or even start it to hear the sound, I would always check with the sales guy first. I feel that’s the appropriate approach. In this case, it is possible that the sales person came across a bit more frantically because the ignition of a sold bike was switched on the second time around. One might want to give them that benefit of doubt.

I have visited Keerthi a couple of times and their sales team has generally been quite courteous and helpful. Hopefully they will take any feedback from you on this incident constructively.

Size of the bike
The bike is indeed quite compact and I am sure this will play on the mind of some purchasers, specially since it might attract a lot of first time “big bike” buyers who will look at it for the completely “image” / “presence” perspective (understandable sentiment). One saving grace perhaps is that it will never have a smaller sibling with the same body type, which is a possibility when you buy Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda etc. The seasoned Superbiker or someone clear on what he wants may not get fazed by this aspect as much though I think. One area where its size will be relevant is for people who want to do two up touring or Solo touring with lots of luggage. There the bike might actually be a tad too compact. I am expecting Shumi’s review or some of the more mature reviewers’ reviews to hopefully carefully cover this aspect.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th April 2021 at 05:47.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 10:23   #170
BHPian

Quote:
I'm really boiling at the reception Keerthi Triumph gave me today. I just rushed out of the showroom, since I was absolutely seething by now. If this is how they treat the 'well heeled' at the 'Sales stage', I shudder to think of the service. So there are basically two types of people at Keerthi, the first guy (Extremely courteous) and the second (the rude types). They wronged two people today
I must agree with the poster above that it is pretty entitled to walk into a showroom, and start the engine on a motorcycle after sitting on it, all without asking or speaking to a salesperson.

And you stormed out "seething" when they informed you that it was a customer's bike? Why? What are they supposed to do?
I can't understand what part of being told that a bike belongs to a customer could incite such rage. I would just feel embarrassed, apologise and get off.

I have been to Keerthi many times and they have gotten more and more polite and respectable with each year I have been going there.

As for the size of the bike, you were clearly in such a rage when storming out of the showroom and to your computer to type this that you may have discredited your own description.
In any case, I think most motorcycle buyers are looking for an all-round quality machine. Size is just one dimension. It is not inherently desirable. People want bikes that are compact, huge and everything in between. The size of the Trident is ideal for what it is designed to be, an entry level naked bike.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th April 2021 at 07:15. Reason: Please avoid posting disrespectful comments!
imranstael is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 10:39   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Yikes.
I have bought two new Triumphs since 2017, know most of the sales team by first name, and to this day,
Is this from the Shaman Mumbai ? If that is the case could you enlighten me if they always charged 26200 as documentation and Delivery charges ? Was this always the case as i see it flat for all the bikes in Triumph portfolio.

Also, I'm not sure if this is practice of all big bikes Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, BMW,

I got the break-up of on-road price and felt that the RTO @89000/- and Documentation and Delivery @26200/- was inflated.

I'm fine with the other optional stuff like RSA etc.

Since it is lockdown now, no testrides till end of month as per the sales executive.

For me the low profile stance and compactness is an advantage but after riding the Duke 790 might feel this is slightly underpowered. Fingers crossed only a good Test Ride will tell.

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 12:20   #172
BHPian

Surprising to hear the bad experience with the sales staff. The fact that they left a customers bike on display in their store without being labelled as such is shocking given it's a premium bike.

I never bought a Triumph before but I had visited their Mumbai showroom once when I had given my bike for service next door and had time to kill so walked into Triumph showroom to drool. I clearly told the sales guys I didn't want to buy anything and was just killing time but they were still extremely courteous all the same. They allowed me to touch and sit on whatever bike I wanted even though they knew I wasn't buying anything. They went even as far as to offer me a test ride if I was interested! They had a few customer bikes in the store but they were clearly labelled as such and the sales guy gently directed me to their display models.

So given the Mumbai stores excellent reputation it seems strange that Bangalore has dramatically different reputation. If I was the customer of that Trident in the Bangalore store and I came to know many people were happily sitting on my bike I would demand a discount. It's just not done.

Last edited by bf1983 : 16th April 2021 at 12:22.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 12:43   #173
BHPian

Keerthi sales support is just 180 degrees opposite of their service support . At least they were good a couple of years back. Not aware of the current situation.

Usually they used to put a small board on the seat of the bike to tell others that the bike has been already sold.

Even though Keerthi has/had a good sales team, there were a couple of bad incidents which I am aware of. One case was about selling an old unused bike to a customer without his knowledge and another case was about selling a bike which already had some issue.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 20:59   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Is this from the Shaman Mumbai ? If that is the case could you enlighten me if they always charged 26200 as documentation and Delivery charges ?
Yes from Shaman.

Yes, they’ve always had this in their default price list subject of course to whatever is the overall scheme / discounts available when you might be able to negotiate some of these amounts.

To my mind almost every manufacturer across cars and bikes charge similar amounts in some form or the other. Those not charging are by far the exception. I am neither condoning nor berating this - just stating a fact.

Personally i would look at the product I am getting and the price I am getting it at. Choosing an automobile which ticks all your boxes is complex enough. For it to be at the price you are willing to pay (compared to your alternatives) is the second key metric. Then how that landed price comes about is academic to me.

For instance, hypothetically, if I considered the Honda 650 and Trident exactly as desirable on all respects and was in the market to buy one of them. But the Honda was 2 lakh more without these markups. Would I NOT buy the Trident merely because it has the handling fee or would I check what’s the size of the cheque I’m cutting, regardless of under what head I’m paying it. For me it would be the latter I guess. Less money in total out of my pocket is what matters.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 22:03   #175
Senior - BHPian

Where have I mentioned that I have started the engine, or have not taken permission? What 'entitled' are you talking about? Honda keeps a rope around products with a notice on the seat 'not to touch'. Who - in his right mind - walks into a showroom and starts touching products without informing, anyways? As a TBHPian you should know that we are all respectful and not newbies in checking out products. Let's not discuss this too much now, because what's done is done. I'm totally off Triumph, as a brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
I must agree with the poster above that it is pretty entitled to walk into a showroom, and start the engine on a motorcycle after sitting on it, all without asking or speaking to a salesperson. And you stormed out "seething" when they informed you that it was a customer's bike? Why? What are they supposed to do? I can't understand what part of being told that a bike belongs to a customer could incite such rage. I would just feel embarrassed, apologise and get off.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th April 2021 at 22:18. Reason: Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.
Old 16th April 2021, 23:24   #176
BHPian

Quote:
I'm totally off Triumph, as a brand.
Sebring, I empathize with you completely.

I have also had the misfortune of having had a terrible experience with Triumph.

However instead of walking out, I made my displeasure/disappointment known to the sales lead of the dealership in extremely clear terms.

Came to know later that the SA who had mishandled my booking had messed up with other customers too. The dealership received multiple complaints and took action.

In my books, this is a effective resolution of the problem. Although I never received an apology, I was still open to consider another Triumph product based on merit. However, during a recent interaction with the same dealership, got a recurring not-so-good feeling. Chose not to go ahead with a Triumph as a brand, based on instinct.

There will be brand ambassadors who will continue to defend dealerships/brands. And in their position, they are justified in doing so, as they’ve got the best treatment from the brand. However at the end of the day, what we experience as walk-in customers is also real and it matters. It’s our money/business, and whom we chose to take it to is our personal choice. Bottom line is the brand needs customers, customers do not have any dependency on the brand.

There are other motorcycle brands to choose from. As you’ve expressed, best to move on. Unless of course you receive an apology from the dealership and they show positive intent to retain a prospective customer.

At the end of the day, I think that the Trident is a brilliant motorcycle. Anyone who is considering one should not get swayed by mediocre experiences shared by individuals (including myself). Please walk-in to a dealership and judge for yourself. Perhaps people who’ve had bad experiences are outliers, for whatever reason!

Last edited by GoBlue : 16th April 2021 at 23:43.
GoBlue is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 00:44   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Where have I mentioned that I have started the engine, or have not taken permission?
You mentioned it right here

Quote:
Then came my turn, so I took a few pics - switched on ignition,
If you had taken permission then why would a salesman object moments later?

Last edited by imranstael : 17th April 2021 at 00:45.
imranstael is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 02:51   #178
Senior - BHPian

Is turning on ignition to check the TFT display akin to starting the engine?
Quote:
You mentioned it right here
This is the reason I got upset. Do you get it now?
Quote:
If you had taken permission then why would a salesman object moments later?
Old 17th April 2021, 08:36   #179
Team-BHP Support

I guess we all will have different experiences with all the brands at some point - no use judging a brand just based on one sales person.

Triumph Bangalore has been the absolute best I have experienced - even when visiting the showroom as a Kawasaki rider interested in a Triumph merchandise riding boot. Have dropped in many times and made it clear I'm not looking at purchasing one - and still had a great time.

I've had the worst experience at Honda when I went to check out the CBR650F (asked to go see the bike parked in the basement ourselves and no TD!), but then BigWing Bangalore under Ayush was a drastic change later on when the Africa Twin was launched. Same with Kawasaki - had both polar opposite experiences depending on the person at the other end.

Best to worry about bikes than a sales guy we'd be meeting couple of times max in a long ownership experience.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th April 2021 at 09:44. Reason: Corrected to CBR 650F
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 09:36   #180
Senior - BHPian

Yes, you're right. I myself am a proponent of 'do not judge the vehicle by the sales experience'. Let's focus on Trident. Would like to put this incident behind
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I guess we all will have different experiences with all the brands at some point - no use judging a brand just based on one sales person.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks