Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2021, 17:53   #211
BHPian

Re: 2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs

Since the pandemic hit first last year in 2020 and with a lot of free time on my hands, I have been trying to scratch that itch of owning a bike again which is a hooligan on the streets, light on the pocket and will hardly ever see me touring on them. Simply put, a type of pocket rocket but with enough oomph and power to wow me over. It is just a wish and maybe a mistake too since I just want the bike to be a garage queen and use it over weekends only. On a same type of whim, I had earlier gotten myself a Bajaj Dominar in 2017 and sold it off in 10 months with just 1900 kms on the ODO. So, I am not a serious biker per se. Only stating the facts in terms of a full disclosure.

I drooled a lot over RE's 650s but a lot of issues did not make a cut for me. Then after over 1 year of searching within the price bracket of upto 9 lakhs, this was launched - Trident 660 and I fell head over heels in love with the bike by the looks of it.

But, by this time the second wave of lockdowns and the virus gripped us all and I spent my time watching youtube videos and reading up on Trident 660 which has received a lot of praise. But as they say, all is well until you try it out for yourself. I had walked into Triumph Pune to take a test ride and book the bike on the spot. The test ride was great and I could totally envision me riding it on the streets since that is the intended usage. It had great power delivery, adequate brakes and it also did not heat up much in the city ride I did. The riding impressions were on par with what every other reviewer/owner is stating.

But two things made me think pragmatically and prevented me from signing the dotted line. I will let some pictures do the talking and let you guess before you read further.

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-trident-3.jpg

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-trident-2.jpg

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-trident-1.jpg

As is evident from the photos above, the bike seems too small for my frame and was immediately rejected by the home ministry on seeing the pics (I had not taken her with me).
I am never going to do 2 up rides but for short commutes too, the pillion seat seemed non-existent for our little bulky frames and then came the price. Almost 9 lakh rupees with protection accessories for this small a bike (only my views, no offence meant to admirers/owners) and I would still look like an elephant riding a bicycle with all the riding gears. My heart sank, dream shattered and now moving on to other contenders within 8 lakhs or will most probably go the pre-worshipped route.

So, summarizing the pros and cons here for those looking to buy this bike.

Pros:
  • Butter smooth engine with good low-end grunt for city usage
  • Host of electronics - power modes, traction modes, etc.
  • Good exhaust note, not too loud but typical of Triumph triples
  • Minimal heating issues inside the city
  • Good torque spread and you can easily amble along at 50 kmph in 6th gear
  • Compact dimensions and light weight (189 kgs) mean it is very flickable and really fun to ride on the streets
  • Suspension is not bone jarring, quite comfortable actually and the brakes do a good job too and Nissin calipers don't disappoint
Cons:
  • Price vs size ratio is totally messed up, taller people would not find the bike comfortable
  • Traction control cuts in too soon and cuts power to some extent (thankfully its switchable)
  • The first 4 gears are short and you would need to upshift pretty soon if you wring the throttle hard
  • Lack of outright top end punch
  • Non-switchable ABS
  • Size is puny for hefty folks like me

That's all I could gather from the test ride. The bike has many positives but oh well, some other day for me.

Edit: Forgot to mention the service period and costs. First service at 800-1000 kms at a cost of nearly 8k and subsequent services at 10k kms (instead of claimed 16k kms) due to Indian conditions - as told by the SA.

Last edited by tp_dominator : 25th May 2021 at 18:15. Reason: Adding Service Info
tp_dominator is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 21:31   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
For those looking for luggage options for the Trident, GIVI has come up with a few. BikenBiker have already started pre-order requests as per their Instagram page (linked below)
Thanks for sharing this. On a bike as small as the Trident, it looks like the bags will end up stick out a LOT! I doubt it will be very safe. Lets see how it actually gets implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
As is evident from the photos above, the bike seems too small for my frame and was immediately rejected by the home ministry on seeing the pics (I had not taken her with me).
I am never going to do 2 up rides but for short commutes too, the pillion seat seemed non-existent for our little bulky frames and then came the price. Almost 9 lakh rupees with protection accessories for this small a bike (only my views, no offence meant to admirers/owners) and I would still look like an elephant riding a bicycle with all the riding gears. My heart sank, dream shattered and now moving on to other contenders within 8 lakhs or will most probably go the pre-worshipped route.
tp_dominator, unfortunately, this is the biggest weakness of the Trident. You can get some great deals on pre-owned Street Triple 765s and even better deals on Triple 675s. Those will look the part and be great bikes to have in your garage as well. This is not even mentioning such capable bikes as the BS4 Z900 etc. Happy hunting and let us know what you finally decide on!
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 20:07   #213

Was wondering, why hasn't there been any Indian-based reviews yet, does the lockdown have to do anything with it? But then again, I see reviews of other bikes not the Trident.

And This is my first time posting
Old 28th May 2021, 20:54   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd_007 View Post
Was wondering, why hasn't there been any Indian-based reviews yet, does the lockdown have to do anything with it? But then again, I see reviews of other bikes not the Trident.

Here you go and I believe one of the best reviews:

amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 21:04   #215
BHPian

Quote:

Welcome to T-BHP.

There are a bunch of Indian reviews which were posted already on this thread itself. You can find them from this post onwards: Link (2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs)
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 06:15   #216

Thanks for the links!
Yes, I've seen Rohit's take on the bike.
While most reviews are the the pro's of the bike,
I would like to know some of it's cons too.
Specially about the pillion comfort, about a day's run around the city.

I'm upgrading from an RE 350 THUNDERBIRD.
And this is my first 500cc + bike.

When I test rode the Trident, it was zippy and agile.
( To me it is a jump, so felt the adrenaline )

Wanted to know some opinions of riders' who've already owned a super bike and some expert / experienced opinions of the Trident

Not that I've other options for bike's mind, I just hope the bike is as good as they say it is and are not milking the Brand's heritage.

Once again, thank you!
Old 29th May 2021, 10:15   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to know some cons of it too;
Mostly the pillion comfort on a day's run about town.
I'm upgrading from an RE TUNDERBIRD 350.,
While this is my first 500 cc + bike, I found it just great on the test run. But I'd like to know some user options too.
So was seeking some expert and experienced opinions
Welcome to the forum!

As with any other motorcycle launch, the Indian journalists would have got only a limited amount of time with the bikes. And I dont think that deliveries have started, though the bikes are in showrooms and ready to be handed over once the current lockdowns ease up. So getting a detailed Indian perspective might be difficult right now.

As for cons, most of them are going to be related to its size. That pillion seat looks to be really small. Riding with luggage is a bit of a question mark depending on your use case. And since you mentioned riding around town, 79 HP is completely unnecessary, excessive and pointless for such conditions. You will rarely get into and beyond third gear while riding in the city.

I say this as a Triumph Street Triple owner with my bike running the detuned 79 HP spec.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 03:03   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravm_89 View Post
*First post alert*
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum (as a member- have been following the forums as a reader since eternity), and this is my first post on tbhp
I've been in the market for a new middleweight (had a HD street 750, which I sold in Nov'20). My primary riding will be in the city (sometimes 2-up) , with weekend rides and the occassional overnighter. The trident felt just right for my money at the time and I put a booking down in Dec'20.
Although my heart is sold on triumph (we had a scrambler 900 and currently have a brand new street triple R in the family) , I have been a bit confused with the options- within this price band, I see mostly 2 options- Trident (with accessories) , or the Z900 if i cough up a bit more cash, and of course, the cb650r, which is even more expensive, and frankly, outside my budget.
I tried the Z900, and while it is a wonderful bike with the 'inline 4' appeal, the edgy "japanese" look put me off too much- the previous version was a bit better. Also, the pillion is absolutely atrocious and my wife just loathed it.
Coming to the CB650, yes, it is ridiculously priced, and features wise,brakes aside, the power figures for India are very similar to the Trident. I also feel that some hygiene factors are missing (grab rails, riding modes, TFT screen). Nevertheless, at an acceptable price, this would still have been a good contender.
That leaves me with the Trident- seeing it in flesh re-affirmed the positive feeling on sound, ergonomics, fit and finish- the reviews confirmed these as well. The only concern probably is its slightly smaller dimensions,as mentioned by some people above, (I'm 5ft-7, heavy-ish built) and the possibility of mounting luggage - which seems to be a problem with all the bikes in this segment. I'm still a bit on the edge about whether I should pull the trigger on the Trident! Any advice is welcome- and please forgive the lengthy post

I see some activity on this thread!
So after my initial deliberations plus a lot of helpful inputs from fellow bhp-ians that helped me ask myself the right questions, I will most likely be pulling the trigger on the Trident (would probably have had taken delivery already, if not for the nightmare Delhi experienced in the past month and a half).
Long story short,It seems to fit my riding profile (Mostly city and traffic, some rare overnighters), has sufficient power for Indian roads, great build quality, good service intervals, electronic aids (a must) and the missus is okay with the pillion for ocassional rides, given the decent grabrails. (My only other option in this price range, the Z900, has a even more terrible rear seat and no grabrails, and looks college-kid punk-ish). The used route, while considered, is'nt something I could convince myself upon, more so given current conditions. Size isnt something that concerns me- seems ok to me despite my modestly large frame.
So now, I am waiting for the dealer and Delhi RTO to open up, get clarity on dates and cough up the dough. Hope to post my delivery experience here!
sauravm_89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 01:09   #219
BHPian

Quote:
So now, I am waiting for the dealer and Delhi RTO to open up, get clarity on dates and cough up the dough. Hope to post my delivery experience here!
Hi there,
i wanted to know whats your stand on Triumph over-charging under various heads while buying Trident 660.

Will you go ahead with the printed price list that the dealer hands you over? (for peace of mind and to get the bike quickly out the door)

Or will you cross check with Vahan/parivahan website for the exact registration charges and other charges and ask the dealer to comply to that? (involves headache but will save you money)

Not judging you, only want to know whats going through your mind.
Old 6th June 2021, 07:35   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I will most likely be pulling the trigger on the Trident
Long story short,It seems to fit my riding profile
Congratulations on picking a great all round product. I am on the Pune Triumph whatsapp group as well and I see a LOT of Trident deliveries happening (new customers being welcomed) so at least in these parts, despite similar lockdowns, deliveries have commenced.

I am sure the Delhi dealer’s sales teams must still be functioning via phone. Perhaps you can get some clarity from them on the Trident bookings and delivery estimations.

Enjoy the new steed whenever you can get your hands on it and do post pics and any other booking / riding experience and feedback.

Cheers.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 20:37   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-was-here View Post
Hi there,
Will you go ahead with the printed price list that the dealer hands you over? (for peace of mind and to get the bike quickly out the door)

Or will you cross check with Vahan/parivahan website for the exact registration charges and other charges and ask the dealer to comply to that? (involves headache but will save you money)
Yes this is no doubt an issue- the Delhi dealer has a standard 17k logistics charge they always slap on the official price list; the final price quoted to be for the silver model is 8.26 L: 7.08L (Ex)+ 62.5k(reg+road tax)+ 17.7k (Logistics)+ 32.6k (Insurance) + 6k (RSA and whatnot).
We bought a street triple in Jan and were able to negotiate waiver of this cost with a lot of push and pressure. That being lesser in demand and because the situation was differen back then , the dealer agreed - we refused to budge without that.
But now, I am the one putting pressure to have the bike delivered in the next few days; and thus the negotiating part has gone out of the window. Will probably try to get some discount on accessories to offset. TBH, been 6 months since I put the deposit down and thus, its more of a resigned to fate kinda thing now. Asking him to comply will simply mean delays , as it happens, there seems to be a demand-supply gap for the trident.

(I may be completely wrong in my assessement- do take all of this with a pinch of salt)
sauravm_89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 18:55   #222
Senior - BHPian

Triumph Motorcycles India has begun the deliveries of the Triumph Trident 660, which was launched in April 2021. The Trident 660 is priced at Rs. 6.95 lakh.

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-20210614_185259.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 07:30   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
SMy heart sank, dream shattered and now moving on to other contenders within 8 lakhs or will most probably go the pre-worshipped route.
There is a street triple for sale in the superbikes classified on FB group in Maharashtra. Saw it pop up on my feed this past weekend. If I find the details, will post it here.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 12:30   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Triumph Motorcycles India has begun the deliveries of the Triumph Trident 660, which was launched in April 2021. The Trident 660 is priced at Rs. 6.95 lakh.

Source
May be they are re-starting with the deliveries after a brief pause.

A friend in Pune got his bike delivered around last week May.
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:12   #225
BHPian

Quote:
*First post alert*
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum (as a member- have been following the forums as a reader since eternity), and this is my first post on tbhp
I've been in the market for a new middleweight (had a HD street 750, which I sold in Nov'20). My primary riding will be in the city (sometimes 2-up) , with weekend rides and the occassional overnighter. The trident felt just right for my money at the time and I put a booking down in Dec'20.

I'm still a bit on the edge about whether I should pull the trigger on the Trident! Any advice is welcome- and please forgive the lengthy post
So I FINALLY took delivery of the Trident about 10 days back Been a really fun experience so far! The dealer went all out to deliver the bike as per my request (Before my birthday), and I think this was the first in Delhi NCR.
First impressions are that ergonomics are spot on-exactly what I had wanted; It is very eager low down, (even in the initial breaking phase when overall performance is a bit muted); And this is especially visible as I have the Street triple R side by side to compare. Riding in traffic is a breeze and it has this subtle aggression during city riding that is thoroughly enjoyable.
Lastly- pillion is manageable for my better half who is on the smaller side.

Hope to post a detailed delivery experience + Ride review soon
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-img20210612wa0026.jpg  

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-img20210609wa0008.jpg  

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-20210613_082435.jpg  

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-20210613_082535.jpg  

sauravm_89 is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks