Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 12:27   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs

Heres the Mumbai pricing list for all models.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-t-pricing.jpg  

danlalan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 12:36   #107
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Dan,

Curious to know what is Delivery and Documentation?
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 12:54   #108
BHPian

Killer pricing by Triumph India. Absolutely stunning and I guess the next upgrade from a Duke 390 perspective and a bridging motorcycle before the expensive Z900, Street Triple and the CB650R!

I wonder how tall/wide the motorcycle is, the images/pictures don't do justice. Also, going by YT videos, it does look like a small motorcycle like the Duke 390. Curious to know how expensive the maintenance will be, I heard Street Triple is expensive to maintain.

I guess Triumph and Honda's have priced it similar. Don't go for the price difference of 3,3.5L. Triumph is cheap to buy and expensive to maintain, whereas, Honda is expensive to buy and cheap/affordable to maintain.
EshanS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 14:04   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Mumbai on road pricing is a cracking 8.42 lakh on road. (I believe Z 650 in Mumbai is 8.2 lakh on road - as nice a product the Z 650 is, I cannot imagine how anyone would pick it over the Trident at barely 20k more.)

Apparently 125+ Pan India bookings already in place.

Good luck to Triumph on this new (for them) segment.
I am so looking forward to see how Kawasaki responds to this challenge. The Kawa twins have hardly had a serious competition till now in this price bracket since the erstwhile Street Triple 675 departed.

Let the battle commence. Consumers win either ways!
narula123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 14:21   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

Its a rose by any other name (basically - handling charges).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EshanS View Post
Killer pricing by Triumph India. Absolutely stunning and I guess the next upgrade from a Duke 390 perspective and a bridging motorcycle before the expensive Z900, Street Triple and the CB650R!
That’s absolutely right. The good thing is it should be pretty forgiving and easy to ride for an entry level / newer rider (it is A2 license design after all) but yet a LOT more fun and can keep you engaged a lot longer as a rider with developing skills than say a Z 650.

Quote:

I guess Triumph and Honda's have priced it similar. Don't go for the price difference of 3,3.5L. Triumph is cheap to buy and expensive to maintain, whereas, Honda is expensive to buy and cheap/affordable to maintain.
Bear in mind it has a 16,000 km service interval. That’s LONG! And Triumphs are not the most expensive to maintain - they are simply not Honda cheap. But no amount of service delta can bridge a 2-3 lakh gap. No question about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
I am so looking forward to see how Kawasaki responds to this challenge. The Kawa twins have hardly had a serious competition till now in this price bracket since the erstwhile Street Triple 675 departed.
Totally. I think as a start they will have no choice but to throw in some serious discounts. One can argue peace of mind, low cost ownership etc with Honda but Kawasaki 650 has literally nothing going against the Trident as of now. The Triumph outguns it on specs, is only nominally over on cost, has lower cost of service. The only reason I would pick the Z 650 is if I had a Kawasaki dealer in my city but didn’t have a Triumph dealer (something that is quite possible in many smaller cities given Kawasaki’s wider dealer reach).

The only thing I can think of is that some might feel the Trident lacks presence because of its compact size but then its harder to mistake a Triumph for a commuter bike given its unique badging unlike Yamaha, Suzuki etc which actually have 150/250 cc.versions of its bigger siblings.

Triumph is going to bridge the 39% to 21% 2020 market share gap in a big way on the back of this launch and once the Trident’s other two variants launch (sport tourer or whatever) its only going to cement itself further in the entry big bike space.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th April 2021 at 14:23.
Axe77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 14:28   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Yeah. Was looking at options from Kriega as well. The only thing needs to be seen is if there are mounting points and options to screw in the panniers or luggage support in the Trident 660.
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1471
Size:  149.1 KB

I could find this luggage rack on the Triumph UK website, but if I try and do a mental comparison for scale, I dont think this is going to be too big. As you rightly pointed out, we need to wait and see the bikes in person.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I feel that a pre-owned Triumph Street Triple 765 / 675 will make more sense than the Trident, for people wanting a lightweight, nimble canyon carver that can double up for light touring duties as well. You get enough space, easy access to touring parts from the after market and it will still be cheaper than buying a new Trident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-was-here View Post
I also read (maybe within this thread) that they have over six hundred pre-bookings. Do you all see that as actual pre-bookings or another "octavia vrs sold out" kind of marketing gimmick?
The dealerships were already trying to force interested customers to make confirmed bookings weeks ago, stating that the quota of bikes allocated will get over and what not! I have overheard some of these conversations. I would guess that each dealership would have an average of 10 prebookings. Im sure the booking numbers will increase once test rides begin.

Quote:
Curious to know how expensive the maintenance will be, I heard Street Triple is expensive to maintain.
As a Triumph Street Triple owner, I can confirm that it is not expensive to maintain. The service costs are in the ballpark of its competition. Once your bike is out of warranty, you can take your own engine oil and save a good chunk of change there as well. Not only can you avoid the Castrol engine oils which are quite frankly middle of the rung, your wallet will be happy as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Thanks Dan,

Handling fees?
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:32   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

The Kerala dealership has confirmed the on road pricing for the Triumph Trident 660 - Rs 9.2L for the base model and Rs 9.4L for the dual tone colours. I have asked for the price breakup.

Meanwhile, I got the following pricing for Tamil Nadu on a few whatsapp motorcycling groups.

Trident 660 Dual Colours
Exshowroom - 708000/-
Insurance - 32254/-
Road Tax and Registration - 83644/-
RSA - 6016/-
On Road Chennai - 829914/-

Trident 660
Exshowroom - 695000/-
Insurance - 32021/-
Road Tax and Registration - 82604/-
RSA - 6016/-
On Road Chennai - 815641/-

Quote:
Bear in mind it has a 16,000 km service interval. That’s LONG! And Triumphs are not the most expensive to maintain - they are simply not Honda cheap. But no amount of service delta can bridge a 2-3 lakh gap. No question about it.
To me, the 16,000 km service interval is more to generate publicity than anything else. It is 16,000 kms or 12 months. I dont think 5-10% of Trident owners will cover 16,000 kms in a single year. And given that its proportions dont lend it to touring, it will be very tough to make full use of the 16,000 km window and do justice to it.

I guess most owners would do between 4-6 k kms a year.

The lower man hours per service that Triumph UK is publicising, is what interests me more than the 16,000 km intervals. If Triumph India passes the benefit to end customers, it will make things really tough for the Kawasaki 650s.

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is that some might feel the Trident lacks presence because of its compact size but then its harder to mistake a Triumph for a commuter bike given its unique badging unlike Yamaha, Suzuki etc which actually have 150/250 cc.versions of its bigger siblings.
Wait till the Bajaj Pulsar Unident comes out in 2 years time
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 17:19   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Honda has always detuned their super-bikes sold in India to comply with poorer quality of fuel available in our country. This makes their bikes compatible with India-spec 91 RON fuel blended with 10% Ethanol. The bikes don't have stalling issues as a result, and in doing so, gives owners the freedom of being able to fill fuel at any bunk across the country without worrying about adverse consequences.

On the other hand, as history has aptly registered, Triumph indulged in corporate fraud by NOT divulging reduced performance specifications of their motorcycles in documentation made available to CUSTOMERS.

As well-informed enthusiasts on a technically inclined forum, I would encourage facts to take precedence when making comments about any manufacturer.

Otherwise not only do posts not add value to the conversation, they may create misleading impressions in the mind of the audience.
I never said that Honda was misleading customers in any way. All I said is that they are offering detuned versions of their motorcycles in India. Which is true, regardless of how honest they are about it. I was actually more specifically referring to the lowered suspension spec AT we get while the rest of the world gets the standard spec.

I however did not know that Triumph lied to customers and was committing fraud. I completely agree that such a thing is not comparable and much worse. Glad to know that they have changed since then and have built up trust with customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I think a Tiger 660 is incoming pretty quickly. Hope they learnt from the 900 debacle and get this cracker out soon!
What do you mean by the 900 debacle? I must be missing more information here. Did Triumph India do something misleading with regard to the Tiger 900 as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-was-here View Post
I also read (maybe within this thread) that they have over six hundred pre-bookings. Do you all see that as actual pre-bookings or another "octavia vrs sold out" kind of marketing gimmick?
I hope it's not a marketing gimmick but with the semiconductor shortage these days, many motorcycle manufacturers are facing supply issues. It would be a shame if the Trident ended up being severely limited in it's first year like the Tiger 900 was.

Last edited by imranstael : 7th April 2021 at 17:25.
Old 7th April 2021, 17:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

Creamy proposition to say the least. The A2 and A License categories should now get a motor that sounds like orchestrated symphony of a trumpet triplet, light weight, and great power to weight ratio, and a naked that's easy to maintain. Here in India, this should have takers and the CBR gang will definitely start digging this one.

With one less cylinder to friction, that's less wear and tear, less on maintenance and overall, this thing is a definitely a win on the paper. How practically this would transpire on the paper, pillion comfort wise, practicality wise, and suspension wise, is yet to be known only after a test drive, and as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

Still the Z900 has a special place in my heart. Kudos to Triumph!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 17:56   #115
BHPian

This bike screams VFM. I wonder if Honda wakes up and decides to relook at their pricing strategy. Anyways, I can't wait to check out the Trident 660 in flesh soon.
Old 7th April 2021, 19:08   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Criticism is the new cool, I guess.

I find no problem with the pricing of the Trident 660.
It does justify the premium over the Kawasaki Z650.
Plus, the Trident has the most extensive (useful) accessories pack on offer from day 0 that allows you to kit it up based on your riding requirement.

If today, I would have been done experiencing & exploiting my KTM 390 ADV, I would have surely got this. I could have even considered the overpriced Honda CB650R because it is just so gorgeous.

All said and done, at the asking price, Triumph will attract middle-weight buyers for the Trident 660. And let's not forget, Honda will easily sell the CB650R, because so many of their customer base just wants a HONDA.

No matter how many people hate the pricing and want both the bikes to be cheaper.
Well said. Criticism is good to make us understand many points which one can understand through healthy discussion. Shouldn't be stretched too much though. Every company sells its products for sheer profits and it’s their right and judgment (along with the profit greed) what price point the product should retail.

Triumph making good use of the window created by Honda CB pair pricing to gamble with introductory price of 6.95L. If it succeed; price is definitely going to increase. If it doesn't (which has lesser chances) keep the same pricing.

Question here will be sustainability of the brand. Triumph has to innovate these kind of products in all forms (viz a detuned Trident Adv to compete with recently launched Honda 500x & may be upcoming RE Himalayan 650 or boost their collaboration with Bajaj?) and give themselves a chance to sustain the competition which will be steadily given by RE & KTM.

RE & KTM are going to take full advantage of the price void here for their upcoming products.

One of the Triumph sales person had admitted in a one such a conversation at the Superbikes show couple of years back at Amanora mall Pune that he had lost some customers looking for Bonnie after the launch of Interceptor 650.

Unfortunately TVS has kept themselves away from this league which is lucrative for the other two manufacturers.

Future is definitely interesting. Let’s wait and watch right here.

Cheers.
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 19:55   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Mumbai on road pricing is a cracking 8.42 lakh on road. (I believe Z 650 in Mumbai is 8.2 lakh on road - as nice a product the Z 650 is, I cannot imagine how anyone would pick it over the Trident at barely 20k more.)

Apparently 125+ Pan India bookings already in place.

Good luck to Triumph on this new (for them) segment.
On-road pricing n Chennai is even sweeter at 8,15,641. Breakup below:

Colors - White and Black
Ex-showroom-6,95,000
Insurance - 32,021
Road tax & Registration - 82,604
RSA - 6,016
On Road 8,15,641

Colors - Grey & Matt Black
Ex-showroom-7,08,000
Insurance - 32,254
Road tax & Registration - 83,644
RSA - 6,016
On Road 8,29,914

Road Tax in TN is 8 percent and assuming 1 percent cess on tax, there is a 20-25K hidden charges for handling in the road tax.

The Road Tax is 8 percent in TN. Other charges are 250 for road safety, 300 for registration and 250 service charge. So on an ex-showroom on 6,95,000 actual charges are 55,600+250+300+250=56,400. Assume a few hundred bucks for smart card charges or somethin, the road tax at the max is 57,000. But the quoted road tax is 82,604 and the difference is either pocketed by the dealer or partial bribe to RTO for registering the bike.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th April 2021 at 08:44. Reason: Back to back posts.
whencut86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 06:13   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Sorry for back to back posts. Mods, please merge my posts. The Road Tax is 8 percent in TN. Other charges are 250 for road safety, 300 for registration and 250 service charge. So on an ex-showroom on 6,95,000 actual charges are 55,600+250+300+250=56,400. Assume a few hundred bucks for smart card charges or somethin, the road tax at the max is 57,000. But the quoted road tax is 82,604 and the difference is either pocketed by the dealer or partial bribe to RTO for registering the bike.
You can apply for temp registration via dealer and do the permanent registration yourself. If they whine, threaten to complain to transport commisioner in Chennai.
Old 8th April 2021, 08:53   #119
BHPian

Will an arrow exhaust on the Trident give us anything close to the sweet sound of the earlier 675s with arrow?
Old 8th April 2021, 09:52   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Mumbai on road pricing is a cracking 8.42 lakh on road. (I believe Z 650 in Mumbai is 8.2 lakh on road - as nice a product the Z 650 is, I cannot imagine how anyone would pick it over the Trident at barely 20k more.
One small correction the Z650 is 7.8l on road which is 60k less. Not enough difference though for a much better bike.

I can't even imagine who would pay almost 8l for a run of the mill bike like the Z650!

The only advantage I can forsee is that the Z650 has a plethora of 3rd party accessories already available given it's been in the market for many years already.
bf1983 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks