Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 18:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW Motorrad India's incompetence & horrible after-sales service

oops, so sorry to read your ordeal. this thread comes up just as i received a message from my BMW dealer that my bike is arriving on wednesday and delivery is on Friday! Mixed emotions now. Thankfully, my dealer is Krishna Motors Chandigarh, who seem to be better than most.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 20:28   #32

Phew! It definitely is some harrowing experience, When I first saw the rig ( rather the contraption ) I thought they've got a bicycle wheel truing equipment !

Threads like these, sometimes makes me wonder if all these international equipments are even worth the purchase. Not really comparable, but, a simpler smaller capacity Indian bike with some niggles would be much more peace of mind than such problems.

Again, can't really compare apples and oranges, but whats the point if in an entire trip, half of the mind is locked on bobbing un-true wheel which has been "fixed" at some exorbitant cost for some "jugaad" style fixes.

Can't really think of a solution here, unless the "customer's problem" is fixed from the long hand of the law.
ruturajv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 20:58   #33
BHPian

Phew Kiran,

That is quite harrowing an experience. 13 years and 3 Japanese bikes later. I swear by my dear friend Harsha who himself rides with us. His outfit has kept me with a ride on tip top shape all this time.
Never seen the insides of a dealership. Ever.

Topgear Automobiles
Shop No. 3, 3, 4th Main Rd, Tata Silk Farm, Jayanagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560070
080 2676 6178
https://goo.gl/maps/bkcoQZ76WPtLKG5i8

Hope some resolution comes through soon

Last edited by prabhuav : 2nd November 2020 at 20:58. Reason: Incomplete
prabhuav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
oops, so sorry to read your ordeal. this thread comes up just as i received a message from my BMW dealer that my bike is arriving on wednesday and delivery is on Friday! Mixed emotions now. Thankfully, my dealer is Krishna Motors Chandigarh, who seem to be better than most.
They are great! They know the weakness of Motorrad system and will work with you to resolve it. One needs patience since they will go through all the paces which will frustrate you and test your patience but they will listen.
virkdoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:28   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW Motorrad India's incompetence & horrible after-sales service

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
But Sir, what about the time that you are now spending on all these emails and raising it on public forums? Wouldn't it have been better to have spent these 4-5 hours sitting at the dealership truing your wheel to your satisfaction and requirement?
Documenting experiences online is very important because:

- It helps other potential customers make a better choice before spending lakhs of rupees. This is the lifeblood of Team-BHP.

- Tells the senior management of the true story on the ground. Believe it or not, some of the top guys in India & abroad are clueless about ground realities. They are only spoon-fed selective information by their underlings.

- In a country with poor, slow consumer protection laws, publishing information is one of the only ways to get your problem solved. Check out Moralfibre's post on page 2 - the ball appears to have finally started rolling.
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:35   #36
BHPian

I had always heard of bmw horror stories, didn't expect it to be so bad that they can't replace a broken wheel. All other premium brands suggest a direct replacement, heck even Tata motors always insist on part replacement and not repairs. Anyone knows the reason as to why bmw insists on repairing a wheel? It's not like it's some period wheel of a precious antique?
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:48   #37
Team-BHP Support

Team,

Apologies for the delay in an update. I was waiting for clarifications from BMW Motorrad India which seem to be taking longer.

Yesterday, I visited the dealership at 1130 am IST. Took me an hour from my place as the workshop is located in the other end of the city. Without delaying the issue any further, I pointed out 4 things I want inspected and certified:

1) The front wheel issue (main conversation)
2) Both ORVMs were rattling due to internal breakages
3) Rear spokes to be checked
4) Driveshaft to be inspected and certified fit.

1. Front wheel issue

It appears that a middle ground has been reached. I pay Rs. 5,000/- to Rs. 9,000/- from my pocket and get a brand new front rim assembly. This will be delivered in a weeks timeframe.

I am satisfied and appreciate that the organisation is finally waking up and addressing my concerns in a manner that is satisfactory.

Honestly, I wish I didn't have to go through this circus but sometimes it is inevitable to make the bigwigs know what they really stand for.

2. ORVM issue:

Warranty claim acknowledged and replacements to be procured.

3. Rear wheel check:

At the last service appointment on 26Sep'20 at 14,xxx kms, the rear wheel was inspected and 4 loose spokes were found on the wheel. They were promptly tightened by the technician. I faintly recollect having noticed about 4-5 that were done during the second service as well.

Here's a picture with 3 of them marked in White tape:

BMW Motorrad India's incompetence & horrible after-sales service-spokes1.jpg

Yesterday's inspection revealed Eight of them loose. The odometer is close to 17,800 kms and that translates to roughly 3,500kms since last service. I had a discussion with Mr. Pai who acknowledged this to be a problem and informed me that he will take this up with the company for replacement. You can see 4 marked spokes with a tape on the RHS. LHS ones may not be clear.

BMW Motorrad India's incompetence & horrible after-sales service-img_2631.jpg

Obviously, as a lesson learnt, I am not opting for a repair by means of tightening the spokes.

It has been 22 hours since my discussion on this matter and BMW Motorrad has responded that the matter is under deliberation with the dealership.

On a side note, I cannot be thankful enough to this community's reach and hold. It woke up the right people from slumber and shook up the entire biking community. I am truly greatful to all the wonderful people who are in touch online and offline to offer support and encouragement in every possible way. Your support means a lot to me!

Thank you.

I'll keep this group posted on the next steps.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th November 2020 at 08:13. Reason: typo
moralfibre is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:01   #38
BHPian

Finally, Good news. Fingers crossed, till the work is done.
Will plan a long ride to celebrate.
There are so many instances of similar lapses by Bmw Motorrad India.
Hope this thread and your experience can help in resolving other Bmw owners pending issues.
PS- Do check ABS Sensors after installation of the new Rim.
Happysmiles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:22   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
It has been 22 hours since my discussion on this matter and BMW Motorrad has responded that the matter is under deliberation with the dealership.
Good to know there is some progress, but honestly I really do not understand why these premium make's take so much time to make a decision on genuine issues that will cost them a pittance??! Are these small piddly issues worth even debate for approval? especially when a fall out can be disastrous for repute and proactiveness will earn em brand managers for life!

Quote:
I'll keep this group posted on the next steps.
Hope you get an early resolution and get the moooo back to road
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:31   #40
BHPian

I am not into bikes so most things discussed here are foreign to me. I, however, have some admiration for this bike especially having ridden pillion on it with moralfibre in Mumbai. It is one heck of a machine.

I am mighty surprised by the underlying sentiment of some of the posts which suggest “If you buy an expensive/premium automobile, you better have the ability to fix it yourself”

I am thinking of buying a premium apartment in the near future. Maybe I should first enrol in carpentry, plumbing, electrical and cement work classes. God only knows what all things will start falling off given that it will be a premium apartment.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:54   #41
BHPian

Have you planned on taking any legal action? The new CPA is very favourable to consumers but I'm not sure your bike qualifies since the Act came into force in July.

Legal action or the mere threat of it often tends to put these people in line, making them do what they're supposed to but it can be time consuming and will also cost you a fair bit.

That said a legal notice is not very expensive. I believe it costs around ₹5,000 (atleast that is what is costs where I live. I'm not really sure how much it costs in cities) and the first step. Based on their reply you can proceed. If you need any help with these aspects please let me know. My classes will end on the 20th and thereafter I can help with finding legal solutions.
adwaith is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:06   #42
BHPian

Horrifying experience KC! May no owner face such mediocre type of responses on such a major issue. We know how much you've fought through this before coming to the forum.

Happy to know that there's been a big leap of updates from BMW post the reach through this Automotive medium.

I'm pretty sure that NONE of the superbike brands have capabilities to resolve major issues perfectly in India. We're anyways famous to cut corners and that's been seen all the while. Don't expect professionalism even if you're spending millions on premium brands. Sadly, standing there and getting the work to your satisfaction is the only way which has worked out even in regular service scenarios.

Anyhow, let's just skip the bad chapter and plan a long one as Happysmiles mentioned to celebrate once all this is sorted.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:28   #43

I am soon going to be in the market for a large displacement adventure motorcycle (Feb 2021). The BMW 1250 GSA is top of my list but after hearing about your experience, i am rethinking and re-evaluating.

Mechanical issues are part of every motorcycle, but it is the attitude of dealers and companies in terms of fixing these problems when they occur that really matter. If they dont have their heart and mind in the right place and fix problems promptly, then it is best for us as customers to go elsewhere.

Reality is that the parent companies have budgets and insurance to deal with these recalls and replacements, but it is the local managers who try to be stingy and save a penny by denying the fix and forcing customers to pay for it. In this process, they end up destroying the brand equity of the company and lose future customers.

Hope they fix your bike rapidly, to your satisfaction !
keertan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:32   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keertan View Post
I am soon going to be in the market for a large displacement adventure motorcycle (Feb 2021). The BMW 1250 GSA is top of my list but after hearing about your experience, i am rethinking and re-evaluating.
I would strongly suggest you wait for the 2021 version of 1250 to be available in India, which should have the niggles of the model sorted. If not you have Tiger 900 but it is one notch less in comfort compared to the GS Or the Africa Twin which is 2 levels lesser in comfort but would be 'relatively' more reliable compared to the first two in the long run.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:33   #45
BHPian

This is a matter of concern for aspiring superbike owners and may be mentioned in the "How to live with a SBK in India?" thread.

The dealerships should always be pro-consumer and push the company for replacements and if that fails owners can take further steps. Why can't a common man just live his dreams in this country? One either has to be influential (good or bad), popular, persistent or all of the above to get a job done!

Atleast there's light at the end of the tunnel Let's throttle it out when all is done and dusted!

Cheers,
/surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 3rd November 2020 at 13:02.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks