Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2020, 11:12   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro - A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
It has covered a good amount of distance for the engine to get well settled.
To clarify - Referring to GT and not Rally Pro, coz it was mentioned GT was heating more.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 15:08   #17
BHPian

The big pain points appear to be a vibey engine, rattly build, creaks and squeaks and a distorted windscreen.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 15:36   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbhatia1108 View Post
Excellent review Neil. The heating issue for GT actually gave me a scare since I was considering the Tiger seriously but this one is a solace. Have booked for a longish test drive this weekend. Let’s hope it pans out good. Home Minister would indeed be a bigger influencer in this decision making process and your comments on that front would also help. Thanks once again
The Home minister will be easily convinced for sure, the bigger question is whether you will be able to connect to the it and overlook some of its new shortcomings! Do keep us updated on how your test ride goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Great review Neil. I still haven't gotten to do the test ride, one the pricing really killed the idea for me and then the vibey engine! But anyways I think I should take a test ride one day. But I don't want to do the short around the block ride, so will have to go on a weekday and see if they can give it for half an hour or so.
Thanks Jaggu, I deliberately stayed away from focusing too much on the pricing aspect. Try and squeeze out a longer test ride if possible, I felt the real character of the bike came out once I crossed the first couple of hours of riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Was that bike under 1000 km odo reading, if so it is the first service that may have made the difference. These engines do behave better once the running in is over and moved to synthetic oil.
Im pretty sure that the GT had covered around 3,900 kms. I dont have a picture of it though. The reason that it had a service indicator warning was because the date was set to the year 2000 or 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevItUp View Post
As soon as the 900 was launched, I got a chance to test ride the bike. I went for the GT as I was using the XRX, which is equivalent to the current GT.
I was disappointed with the over all experience and did not enjoy it one but. I was kind of relieved that I did not wait for the 900.
Looks are subjective, they might grow on you but the performance, the ride quality, and overall experience of the ride can not.
The New Tiger 900 had vibes throughout the rev range starting from 4500RPM and they were pronounced.
It also lost the triple sound Triumphs are famous for, the whistle.
The radiator is now split in to two parts and the exhaust vents are pointed towards the knees of the rider. These are the major points I remember.
Good decision to go with the Tiger 800 XRX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
The big pain points appear to be a vibey engine, rattly build, creaks and squeaks and a distorted windscreen.
Poorly designed TFT screen as well.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 20:34   #19
BHPian

Very nicely written. You have summed up everything. When a prospective buyer will ride the bike after reading your review, s/he will remember your comments while on the bike.

I have test ridden both the 800 and 900 Tigers. The 900 engine feels very tractable and it is extremely easy to ride. They have sorted the chassis pretty nicely. The 800 engine is very superbike-y and rev happy. The meat on the torque comes later and is more engaging.
Triumph had done an exceedingly good job of disguising a sports bike as an adventure bike - by giving it good ergonomics and higher travel suspension. The new tiger is not so. It has more adv bike dna.
I do not see the T900 as an upgrade for T800 owners. It has good competition in the market and in that price range you can get the BMW F GS, Honda's AT and probably my go to option - a pre owned 12 / 12.5 GS or even Multi 1260.
nitrogary is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 21:01   #20
BHPian

Lovely review Neil, must say your garage is missing an ADV but I still think there is an Interceptor out there that has your name on it. But sad to see even test bikes are at the mercy of an incompetent dealer.
deepfreak15 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed