Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2021, 11:54   #31
BHPian

Re: 2021 Ducati Monster unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
2. The bike is TINY! Very good thing for someone who is of average height and build but felt quite tight for my 6 feet frame. I wasnt uncomfortable but I just wished for more room to stretch out in the saddle.
3. I felt the bike is a bit overpriced for what it provides as a package. Maybe a lakh or so lesser would have made me feel more at peace. Hard to ignore thoroughbred competitors like the Striple RS at this price point honestly.
2 --> A very important observation. I recently test rode Z900 and GSX750 - I was just not able to sit on the Z900 even for 100 meters. I returned it immediately. GSX750 was ok (sort of a compromise). Both were very light and small in size. It felt like I am on a 150CC commuter from a dimensions perspective. I am 6'2" and my frame is wide at shoulders (like a Trapezoid). Both the bikes felt not worth the investment. I am sure it will be same for the Monster too given the dimensions of it.

3 --> Hehe, this perhaps can be forgiven. After all you also pay for the 'Ducati' exclusivity factor. Kind of Merc v/s BMW here
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 18:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
What I dint like:
1. The HEAT!! I know its a Ducati (and I own one too) but the rear cylinder (plonked under your backside) made life a torture in the mad city traffic that I went through. Reminded me of the Scrambler. I dont know if this was also the case with previous Monsters but considering this bike also targets the urban jungle this might be a pain for some users.
2. The bike is TINY! Very good thing for someone who is of average height and build but felt quite tight for my 6 feet frame. I wasnt uncomfortable but I just wished for more room to stretch out in the saddle.
1: I had a decade older model and any sort of traffic, would see the temperature rising and also the hair of your legs getting roasted for free.
2. The monster range is also targetting the entry level riders into Ducati as well as women riders. At 5.8 i had to stretch my leg on long rides too, so your 6 feet frame, you would be comfortable on either the Diavel or the Multi.

Very good points for a lot of prospective customers to think about.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 00:18   #33
BHPian

I am planning to buy the Monster or the STRs.
There are pros and cons on both the bikes. But if you look at the overall package, the Monster makes a lot of sense assuming I don't go to the track very often these days.

Monster Pros :

1. Price
2. Aspirational value
3. Engine (93NM vs 79NM)
4. New Frame (lighter)
5. Better display
6. Same weight as the STRs
7. M2.42 calipers
8. Much better electronics with Cornering abs (IMU based)
9. 200MM ground clearance
10. 30000kms valve service

Cons :
1. No adjustable suspension
2. 10hp less as compared to the STRs.
3. 1 cylinder lesser than Strs
4. M2.50 on the STRs
5. Inferior tyres as compared to the strs
6. Could be more expensive to maintain.

765 RS pros :

1. 121.6hp 3 cylinder beautiful inline 3
2. Higher redline
3. M2. 50 front brakes
4. Fully adjustable suspension
5. 5 inch display (though not as good)
6. Weight remains the same at 166kgs dry

Cons :

1. Generation old electronics
2. No cornering abs
3. Softer tyres (puncture prone/quicker wearing)
4. 130mm ground clearance
5. Even though the engine is tested at moto2, this engine is known for blowing out.
6. Triumph showrooms and service is dicey.
7. 2 years old bike
8. Looks great but monster looks better (IMHO).

These are a few things I found. It would be nice to hear ya'll opinions and thoughts too. I don't have any other motorcycle in my mind as I simply don't want heavy and cumbersome motorcycles like F900R,Z900,1000SX etc
Naparajito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 04:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
I am planning to buy the Monster or the STRs.
Considering that you arent going to frequent the track much, my vote swings very slightly towards the Monster. The 765 is still a hoot to ride and was a roomier bike for me to be on but the glamour and looks of the Ducati stamps its premiumness clearly.
My suggestion is to test ride both specially on a hot day filled with traffic (with pillion if thats a frequent usecase for you) to see which bike treats you better. Out on the highway both bikes will be awesome.
narula123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 16:45   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Naparajito, before deciding to plonk your money down on a new Triumph motorcycle in Bangalore, do search this forum and ask around your biking circles to get first hand information on the quality, or lack thereof, of the service center. VST isnt gold class but the quality of work is far better there, than it is in the Keerthi Triumph SVC. Solely on the basis of this criterion, I would suggest the Monster over the Street Triple 765RS. Its a very easy choice to make, if you give considerable weightage to the bike being maintained well by the company SVCs during the warranty period.

I havent ridden the new Monster yet, or seen one and hence my opinions on it are limited. The Street Triple 765RS is a fantastic bike that has very stiff suspension. For ahem enthusiasts, the stock tires will last you between 6 to 8 thousand kilometers. As a Triumph Street Triple owner, I can confirm that I havent heard of a single case of the engine blowing out.

Do take a proper test ride of both bikes to see what suits you better.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 19:26   #36
BHPian

I ride a 2018 M821. The bike has been a hoot and while some Italian niggles do show themselves every now and then, the service center is why I'd choose the Ducati over others.
After a recent annual service, I took the opportunity to test ride the new Monster and while it was a short ride around the block, the weight difference is noticeable. The turning radius is much better too and compared to the 821, does not feel so front-heavy.
What I found odd was the tank - not the aesthetics or design but the capacity. Given that the bike now has a bigger and slightly thirstier motor, a smaller tank is fitted. I've been on a few rides with folks who have the Hyper and Supersports (same motor now in the new Monster) and you will need to plan your fuel stops more often. An 18 L tank on the 821 if ridden smart can give a range of over 250 Km, city and highway. I doubt the new bike will get close to 220 km on a full tank.

Coming to Ducati vs. others, do visit the service center and see how the bikes are handled. I did that prior to my pick with BMW Motorrad, Triumph, Honda, and Yamaha (I almost got the payment done on an MT09) but the difference in service experience sold me on Ducati.
There are questions on some components like the fuel gauge and rear brake. Some stories of folks having gone thru multiple fuel gauge replacements due to the ethanol levels in our fuels but so long as you get the full and extended warranty, things should be safe.

Test ride the bikes, talk to other riders if you meet them at the service center, and take the call.
trailsndirt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 15:35   #37
BHPian

Monster plus priced at Rs 11.24 lakh

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-1.jpg

The Monster Plus gets a flyscreen atop the headlight and a cowl for the rear seat.

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-2.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-3.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-4.jpg

Looking to buy a monster, so 4 quick questions:-
1. Is the Monster + variant available on sale?
2. Does Ducati offer any discounts on sales, like last year models etc?
3. The dry weight of Monster and Monster SP models is same at 166kg while with liquids its 188 and 186 kgs respectively. Assuming that the liquids resulting in this weight loss to be that is being used in the suspension only (part of the changes to SP model), is it reasonable to believe that 2kgs less liquid in forks or brakes is the reason here for lesser weight?
4. Which dealers are good or better whom to avoid?, as I would prefer not to have a bike rather than deal with bad reputed ones.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th June 2023 at 04:44. Reason: Attachments fixed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks