Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2020, 23:58   #1
Team-BHP Support

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled

Ducati unveiled the all-new generation of their iconic roadster today - the Monster.

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93718gallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93717gallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93716gallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93721gallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93708gallery1920x1080.jpg

The biggest differentiator with respect to the looks is the departure from the iconic trellis frame.

Quote:
The new Monster brings the engine back to centre-stage. Linked to a front frame ideally derived from the one on the Panigale V4, the new engine is made of aluminium and is 4.5 kg lighter than the 821 model. At 188 kg in running order, it is a solid 18 kg less than the existing model. Dry weight is set at 166 kg.

Seat height of the new Monster is 820 mm.
2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93729totaligallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93731dettagligallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93701dettagligallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93701totaligallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93713totaligallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93715dettagligallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93704totaligallery1920x1080.jpg

Braking duties are handled by Brembo M4-32 4-piston monobloc calipers that grip 320 mm discs. At the rear is a single 245 mm disc gripped by a Brembo caliper. Putting the power down to the ground is Pirelli Diablo Rosso III tyres, 120/70 up front and 180/55 at the rear.

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93712dettagligallery1920x1080.jpg

Quote:
The sleek tail, attached directly to the engine, also participates in the overall lightness. A single element made of GFRP (Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer) which acts as a load-bearing tail and as a support for all the electrical and electronic parts.
2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93705dettagligallery1920x1080.jpg

The Monster is powered by the Testastretta 11° 937 cc twin cylinder L-shaped engine, with desmodromic distribution and Euro 5 homologation. It produces 111 hp@ 9,250 rpm and 93 Nm@ 6,500 rpm.

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-curvecoppiapotenzamonsterv02-2.jpg

Standard electronic aids include - Ducati Quick Shift, Ducati Power Launch, 4.3" TFT colour display, Full LED headlight and lighting system, Dynamic turn indicators, USB power socket.

Quote:
The standard equipment includes fully-adjustable ABS Cornering, Traction Control, Wheelie Control.

The new Monster sporty nature is also underlined by the Launch Control, which ensures lightning-fast starts: out-of-the-ordinary features usually reserved to supersport motorcycles are now available to every passionate, all in the name of first-class riding fun.

The ABS, adjustable on 3 intervention levels, now integrates the cornering function in level 3 and 2. While highest level 3 setting offers extraordinary stability while braking together with maximum rear lift-up prevention, level 2 enables sport-oriented ABS intervention with moderate rear lift-up prevention. Lastly, level 1, with no rear lift-up prevention, is of the “only front” type and offers maximum performance on the racetrack

Ducati Traction Control (DTC)

The Ducati Traction Control (DTC) system acts as a smart “filter” between accelerator and the rear tyre. It lets the rider select one of 8 different intervention levels. Each of the 3 Riding Modes has default DTC levels but these can be personalised to suit individual riders’ styles and road conditions.

Launch Control

The new Monster is equipped with a Launch Control system that allows extremely effective starts. Once activated, the system autonomously manages the engine (whatever the throttle is opened) bringing the engine to maximum torque and letting the owner only to manage the clutch at the start. This is a drag race-proof mode that provides for the best possible acceleration.

Wheelie Control

The Launch Control system also makes use of the Wheelie Control, the control that allows the bike to accelerate to the maximum while detecting any front wheel lift. This attitude is managed electronically, improving riding safety but, at the same time, ensuring the best possible acceleration performance. Furthermore, Wheelie Control is independently adjustable from other control systems.

Ducati Riding Modes

Ducati Riding Modes undoubtedly marked an engineering milestone, letting riders select different settings: Sport, Touring and Urban that optimise motorcycle behaviour to individual riding styles and different road conditions. Each Riding Mode have been developed to vary the engine character (Power Modes) and the ABS, DTC and DWC intervention levels instantaneously, even when riding.
2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster937elettronica01editorialwide768x443.jpg

Monster is available in three colours - Ducati Red with black wheels, Aviator Grey with GP Red wheels and Dark Stealth with black wheels.

The previous generation was launched in India back in 2018 at 9.51 lakhs.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd December 2020 at 00:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 00:06   #2
S15
BANNED

Re: 2021 Ducati Monster unveiled

Interesting that the dry weight is 166 KG, which is less than the Street Triple 765, which is 168 KG dry.
I distinctly remember how one of the primary reasons to get a 675 was its ultra-light weight. Oh, how the tables turn.

Though having said that, I am now wondering how much will the weight go up by after adding the saree guard.
S15 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 00:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Ducati Monster spied

2021 Ducati Monster revealed

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-20201203_000702.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93713totaligallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93714dettagligallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93701dettagligallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93737dettagligallery1920x1080.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-monster93701totaligallery1920x1080.jpg

Displacement - 937 cc (57 cu in)

Power - 111 hp (82 kW) @ 9,250 rpm

Torque - 9.5 kgm (93 Nm, 69 lb ft) @ 6,500 rpm

Dry weight-166 kg (366 lb)

Seat height - 820 mm (32.3 in)
800 mm (31.5 in) (accessory low seat)
775 mm (30.5 in) (accessory low seat + low suspension kit)

Standard Equipment - Ducati Quick Shift, Ducati Power Launch, 4.3" TFT colour display, Full LED headlight and lighting system, Dynamic turn indicators, USB power socket.

https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/bikes/monster/monster
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 00:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The biggest differentiator with respect to the looks is the departure from the iconic trellis frame.

The new Monster brings the engine back to centre-stage. Linked to a front frame ideally derived from the one on the Panigale V4, the new engine is made of aluminium and is 4.5 kg lighter than the 821 model. At 188 kg in running order, it is a solid 18 kg less than the existing model. Dry weight is set at 166 kg.

Seat height of the new Monster is 820 mm.

The Monster is powered by the Testastretta 11° 937 cc twin cylinder L-shaped engine, with desmodromic distribution and Euro 5 homologation. It produces 111 hp@ 9,250 rpm and 93 Nm@ 6,500 rpm.

The previous generation was launched in India back in 2018 at 9.51 lakhs.
The weight savings are super. There's a lower seat at 800mm and lower suspension kit at 775mm. Also available in A2 License holder's compliant power figures.

I didn't like the headlight shape, it resembles the revolt e-bike!

Will the Monster be priced in the Street Triple RS territory?

/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 01:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks pretty decent, though gives brutale feels from front. Historically monster has done decently well, and with the US pricing, I think this will definitely go head to head with RS.

Triumph has priced the R real well, and if monster is priced head on with RS, they should probably do a price correction, as head to head I see monster definitely selling more then the RS.
AtheK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Looks pretty decent, though gives brutale feels from front. Historically monster has done decently well, and with the US pricing, I think this will definitely go head to head with RS.
Pricing is definitely against the Street Triple RS. UK prices below -

2021 Ducati Monster - £10,295/-
2021 Ducati Monster - £10,545/-

Street Triple RS - £10,500/-

But I guess both bikes will behave totally different! Monster has a larger engine producing a lot more torque and relaxed power, as compared to the 765cc, 123PS, 79Nm Street Triple RS.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Pricing is definitely against the Street Triple RS. UK prices below -

2021 Ducati Monster - £10,295/-
2021 Ducati Monster - £10,545/-

Street Triple RS - £10,500/-

But I guess both bikes will behave totally different! Monster has a larger engine producing a lot more torque and relaxed power, as compared to the 765cc, 123PS, 79Nm Street Triple RS.
Ya but street has an advantage of extra cylinder so on paper less vibrations, that said aspirational value of owning a ducati stays higher then triumph (IMO), so that will play a part as well in decision making.
AtheK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:49   #8
BHPian

Personal Opinion: YUCK

Looks nothing like the earlier Monsters
Same old desmo engine with mega bill at 30K service
LC Monsters like the 821 looked real bad from the left side what with the hoses and all, this goes one up and looks bad from the right (actually any) side.
Bargain-bin components - non-adjustable suspension, Brembo M4.32 brake calipers from almost the last decade etc etc.
Oh and lastly, given the enticing pricing of the Desert Sled, an ex-showroom price of say 13-14 Lakhs.

I do not see this becoming popular at all.
tanayr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

I like that its lighter, more rideable and they have made adjustments to steering angle / handlebar position / foot peg adjustments to make it more relaxed and less cramped for legs. The larger engine and claimed improvement in torque at lower rpm should also make it easier to ride in the city. But that remains to be proven in real world.

But that large swathe of black right in the middle has no place to hide - it just looks plain ugly. Its beyond me why Ducati with all its design prowess couldn't think of an elegant way to display that frame & engine. And it simply looks even more ungainly in black / grey shades.

The bike looks like an Autobot now - cold industrial design. Has lost some of its soul for sure! Its always difficult to meaningfully recreate / revamp a classic. So now mine becomes a collectible hopefully!

Am sure it is going to gain some crazy heft when it comes to pricing in India. Ducati BS6 prices are absolute bonkers (as if they weren't already). Doubt its going to find many takers if its not going to be priced competitively against the Striple.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 3rd December 2020 at 13:01.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Those were some interesting updates to the Monster for 2021. I love the new lower weight, it brings the Monster firmly back in the conversation for riders looking only at the sportier end of the middleweight naked bikes. The BS4 variant had its own charm but to me, if felt a little middle of the road while the competition had a much sportier inclination. Now Ducati has got itself back in the game but their positioning of the Monster is a mighty head scratcher.

- The Monster makes slightly less power but more torque, both at lower RPMs than the Triumph R and RS. All three bikes have similar weights. The Kawasaki Z900 makes more power and torque than the Monster but it also weighs a lot more.

- The lack of proper adjustable suspension at either end makes the Monster bottom of the pack on that front. The Monster gets fixed front suspension and preload adjustment at the rear.

The Street Triple R gets Showa 41 mm upside down separate function big piston forks (SF-BPF), adjustable compression, rebound and preload adjustment at the front and Showa piggyback reservoir monoshock with adjustable compression and rebound damping and preload adjustment at the rear.

In comparison, the RS comes with Showa 41 mm upside down big piston forks (BPF), adjustable compression, rebound and preload adjustment at the front. The RS also gets Ohlins STX40 fully-adjustable piggyback reservoir RSU at the rear.

Even the Z900 gets preload and rebound adjustment at the front and rear.

So Ducati riders are going to have to shell out quite a bit of additional dough to get adjustable suspension and be at par with its competition.

- Brembo M50 brakes up front with the RS are a fantastic performer and top of the line.

- TFT screens and riding modes are available on the Ducati, Triumphs and Kawasaki.

- Both the Monster and the Triples get quick shifters.

- Power modes are available on the Ducati and Kawasaki.

All in all, the Monster has caught up with its competition but it doesnt excel anywhere and what will make or break the bike, will be its pricing in India. Like tanayr and Nilesh5417 have suggested, the pricing is likely to be very steep and I do not see this becoming a hot seller for Ducati India.

With the so far bonkers pricing of the BS6 models from Ducati, I dont know what is going to be the bike that brings in volumes going forward and that might make Indian dealers twitchy. I hope their entry base BS6 Scramblers are reasonably priced!
neil.jericho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

And to add to the above - the current setup at front is not a great setup. The bike feels twitchy around the corners. You don't seem to feel the front too well and always worry about it sliding away. I don't know if its been fixed due to the frame / geometry changes or not but i do wish for it.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 3rd December 2020 at 16:42.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 11:57   #12
BANNED

Nope. Looks like a commuter M15 motorcycle.

We can argue specs and features and pricing. But at the end of the day, buying a vehicle, especially recreational vehicles, is entirely about visceral appeal. With the trellis gone, this bike has lost it. No, thank you. I am actually not even interested in what the pricing is going to be.

Sometimes manufacturers feel like a bold gamble. Taking out their iconic trellis was Ducati’s I suppose. While I will give them credit for possessing big spherical objects required to make this decision, I am not sure that the gamble is worth the dilution of their signature aesthetic.

Incidentally, the absence of the trellis appears to be less of an issue, aesthetically speaking, on the new V4 Multistrada. But on the new Monster, the omission is glaringly conspicuous. As someone else said in this thread, ‘Autobot’ is the appropriate term here.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 18:45   #13
BHPian

True, no trellis frame on the monster! They lost the iconic design, this makes it a generic design, you could slap any badge in this. Evolution lost. Maybe technically advanced product but it lost what made a monster a monster!
Old 5th December 2020, 23:10   #14

While this seems to be a really big move for the Monster line-up from the previous generations, I suspect it may still lack the "oomph" factor the Triumph's bring to the table with the RS.

On paper it does look like something that may appeal the Indian biking community only if Ducati plans to price it right. Not to mention Ducati's somewhat questionable aftersales support too. I suspect the new frame may bring in a significant, but a pleasant change in the ride dynamics department.

What I do like about the bike at the first glance is, the looks and the attention to detail! Italians!! The front indicators are integrated into the shroud area and have the scrolling effect from the Audi's. Now, nobody would have thought before (Not sure about the practicality of it on Indian roads though).

P.S To be honest, anything said, I am still inclined towards the RS for the sheer way the bike handles, it's unmatched till date!
Old 9th March 2021, 20:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

2021 Ducati Monster rolls into production Link

Ducati has officially begun production of the new Monster at home, in its Borgo Panigale factory.

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-2021ducatimonsterentersproductionrearstand.jpg

To mark the occasion, Ducati brought MotoGP riders Pecco Bagnaia, Enea Bastianini, and Luca Marini over to the production line to have a closer look.

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-2021ducatimonsterentersproductionfrontangleview.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-2021ducatimonsterentersproductionbagnaiabastianinimariniexamine.jpg

2021 Ducati Monster unveiled-2021ducatimonsterentersproductionfirstbikeoffassemblyline.jpg

Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed