Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2021, 14:40   #31
BHPian

6000KMS done in 6 months in Goa. Service time!

Hello all. Hope everyone is doing great here.

Its been tough time being in Goa but the surprising news for me is Raven has completed 6 months of ownership with me and its already clocked 6000kms since then. And that purely riding on Sundays and very occasionally to office and back.

Time for oil change. As the nearest ASS is Mumbai i decided to go ahead with the service in Goa itself with a guy who I know and is a expert of big bikes. Nothing much this time. Just oil change. But this time around the oil is now changed to 10W40 Motul 7100 from Honda recommended and so far used on Raven the 10W30 Throttle from Honda (Idemitsu)

Reason to shift was availability locally and as the ambient temp in Goa is around 32-35deg this was the most logical upgrade. After the oil change the bike felt way smoother and silent (engine) than previous oil. Noticeable change was slickness of the gear shifts. Looks like a good move so far. More I shall update as the oil ages and kms build up. Also now will be sticking to 5000kms of drain interval against Honda recommended 6000kms for personal peace.

Opted for HiFlo Filtro HF 204 aftermarket oil filter as against OEM. This cost almost 200INR cheaper than OEM too. That gives me additional 2L of petrol

Also the Road 4 tyres have now clocked 3000KMS and they hardly show a sign of wear. Grip levels have been great especially in wet once the tyre is all warmed up. But slightest slush patch and they sort of slide. But I enjoy that. have been enjoying the grip thoroughly at the ghats especially in the rains. Just love riding in the rains too.

Use of 120W heavy oil for chain lube is been working flawlessly so far. Also the newly installed RK ZXW Endurance chain is pretty great. Doesn't loosen up easily. have done over 1000kms without a need for adjustment.

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_3783.jpg

Lastly have got custom made bar end weights by members of the 650 Owners India group on the bike. They have led to substantial decrease if the handlebar vibes which was highly annoying for me as it left me with vibey sort of fingers at the end of 200+kms of riding. Cost me 700INR with shipping. Stock screws fit perfectly on them. They look a little odd but their benefits outweigh the looks. Which I don't mind at all.

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_3777.jpg

Here are a few images from my rains rides in and around Goa. Enjoy

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_3696.jpg

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_3806.jpg

Last edited by akshayhonda : 9th July 2021 at 14:41.
akshayhonda is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 15:13   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!

Nice pictures, regarding the bar ends, maybe try powder coating them in black, they will definitely look better.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 18:32   #33
BHPian

Re: A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Nice pictures, regarding the bar ends, maybe try powder coating them in black, they will definitely look better.
Yeap that's the plan. Or will temporarily will use the spray can for the monsoons.
Old 13th July 2021, 08:43   #34
BHPian

Re: 6000KMS done in 6 months in Goa. Service time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
Also now will be sticking to 5000kms of drain interval against Honda recommended 6000kms for personal peace.
Quick correction there, Akshay. Honda recommended drain interval for the engine oil is 12000 Km and not 6k. Basically every alternate service.
Old 13th July 2021, 09:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Quick correction there, Akshay. Honda recommended drain interval for the engine oil is 12000 Km and not 6k. Basically every alternate service.

Had seen that bro. So should I extend the filter and oil change to once a year? like say 10k kms?
akshayhonda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 13:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had seen that bro. So should I extend the filter and oil change to once a year? like say 10k kms?
Current generation premium oils can last up to 10k kms. But to be on the safer side 8 to 9k would be ideal and especially if ridden much in city/slower speeds.

Even stock air filters can last much more, with just regular cleaning unless look visually clogged up or damaged after cleaning. However, changing the oil filter is advised with every oil change irrespective of the interval.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 19:49   #37
BHPian

Paddock is here!

A quick update!

After a lot of managing the chain lubing 'somehow' I got myself a universal type paddock stand as swingarm spools are not easily available for 650F. Ones available need to replace the chain adjuster slider and is an integrated unit.

The one that I got is from GA Engineering, Mumbai. Have been using their stuff from last 7yrs (paddock and radiator grille for Duke 390) and it had to be them. You can contact them via their FB/IG page as GA Auto Accesories or from their Amazon store.

Specific Link is - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07P9HK55B/...RGZ1NXANEJ53TE

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-6a22caa6ff734748828048d32c6ebad4.jpeg

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-12396628f45343a19914726106f7be43.jpeg

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-fc3e344eae2b4205a8bc4cc5ed7bcec1.jpeg
akshayhonda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 19:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Current generation premium oils can last up to 10k kms. But to be on the safer side 8 to 9k would be ideal and especially if ridden much in city/slower speeds.

Even stock air filters can last much more, with just regular cleaning unless look visually clogged up or damaged after cleaning. However, changing the oil filter is advised with every oil change irrespective of the interval.
I believe Motul 7100 that I have used should be fine for 8-9K kms. Will definitely change oil filter with every oil change.

Yet to inspect the air filter. Will be doing soon. Also stocking up replacement.
Old 14th July 2021, 00:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Easily. These synthetic oils actually last and hence the OEM recommendation. If you're riding extensively in traffic and/or in low speed conditions, then be more conservative about oil change intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Even stock air filters can last much more, with just regular cleaning unless look visually clogged up or damaged after cleaning.
Quote:
Yet to inspect the air filter. Will be doing soon. Also stocking up replacement.
The CBR comes with a wet type viscous air filter and not a regular paper filter. The recommended interval is 18k km. However, for our dusty conditions, a 12k interval works best in my experience.
Added_flavor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 22:12   #40
BHPian

Hi akshay. Was just looking at used cbr 650 in olx, found your cbr ad. Why are you selling it? Are you upgrading?
Old 26th July 2021, 09:56   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Hi akshay. Was just looking at used cbr 650 in olx, found your cbr ad. Why are you selling it? Are you upgrading?
I have a relative who owns a Busa last edition in silver. I think he will let go off the bike. So have put it up for sale in case I get a good offer I will sell it off and get home the Busa
Old 26th July 2021, 10:28   #42
BHPian

Crank1 Battery Charger/Maintainer for Raven & others in the garage!

As my bike is 2018 model (2017 mfg) and its almost 3.5yrs now the OEM Furukawa battery is sowing signs of age a bit. Also as per how the previous owner kept it on a trickle charging mode the battery has been holding on really well due to the same. I ride mostly on the weekends only. And this is likely to slowly take a toll on the battery while it discharges and causes sulphation which will lead to loss of charge holding capacity of the battery. Running such a battery will put more load on the alternator of the bike which may lead to a unforeseen breakdown eventually. Hence decided to get a battery charger/maintainer for myself.

Also one of the two cars in garage usually sits idle for 1-2 weeks and can use this to prolong the battery life on that as well.

After looking at various options like (Bosch, TechLab, Optimate etc.) I decided to go ahead with Crank1. Why? Because a friend who is super technical and owns and maintains biggies like 10R, 650R and a few others too had got this and was speaking very positive. That aside Crank1 batteries for big bikes are been doing very well too.

Got this one from a local dealer named Right Track in North Goa who is the official dealer in Goa for Crank1 stuff and more. Costed me 3460INR which seems to on par with most offerings +/- 1000INR range compared.

So attaching below some pictures of the same. And links to the YT videos (noob stuff) which I made and uploaded. Wiring and build quality is good. Easy to use too.

The store.

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_4036.jpg

Packaging

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_4073.jpg

Charger module facia

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_4074.jpg

Power cord & quick connect plug on the charger module

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_4076.jpg

Alligator clip & SAE quick connectors

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_4075.jpg

Here is the short video I made about the product unboxing:

Video about connections, set-up & how to use:

Possible flaw or a hazard as I see it. The SAE quick connector that will be mounted inside of the motorcycle onto the battery has its positive end open. The connector doesn't come with a protective cap. Which can possibly lead to fire/battery short hazard if it happens to touch the bikes fame or any metal link below the seat while on move. I have used a 'jugaad' to cover and keep it secured with a silicone sleeve and good old rubber band. I'm in search of sourcing a proper SAE connector protective cap for the same.

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_4077.jpg
Old 15th September 2021, 13:49   #43
BHPian

Raven gets a new pipe - Yoshimura R-77 Gloss Carbon (Slip On)

Raven now gets a much needed (IMO) update last week.

The custom end can makes way for a Yoshimura Glossy Carbon R-77 Slip-On exhaust. This basically is the end can that fits the CBR 500R. One that goes onto the 650 series is same as well. But for them only full system is available from the official channel. End can is the same spec wise. As I already have a SS headers and mid pipe I was wanting a slip-on can (with jugaad spring connections to hold the can in place securely)

Got one from UK. And below are the pictures of the same and YT video link to the cold start and rev bombs.

The exhaust wasn't aligned right when installed. Was corrected (almost) during the video time. Will be fine tuned in days to come if I feel the need or if it looks awkwardly weird

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_4745.jpg

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_4750.jpg

Video
akshayhonda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 10:10   #44
BHPian

Raven completes 9000KMS of ownership. Spark plug & Braking upgrade!

Hi guys. Its been a while here. Not the most exciting bike ownership blog. But I can bet that while on road this motorcycle can definitely put some wide smile on ones (Err my) face easily. Only because of its sheer versatility.

Happy to say that the bike despite of soaring fuel prices (thanks to its good FE of 20-22KMPL avg) and me not getting a chance to leave Goa borders for a longish ride. The bike has completed 9000KMS of ownership. And it has been a bliss.

Thanks to unparalleled support from Big Wing Team from Mumbai and Bangalore. Which have helped me source basic spares for future and current usage.

There a few things that have gone into making the motorcycle feel better and snappier.

First one being swapping OEM Denso std spark plugs to CR9EIX NGK iridium spark plugs sourced from MotoUsher. Cost 747INR/plug. Pack of 4 costed me 2988INR with free shipping.

Buy Link - https://shop.motousher.com/products/cr9eix-4pc

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_5215.jpg

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_5388.jpg

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_5394.jpg

Changing to these from the 9K kms done old ones. The throttle response felt crisper and snappy. Also the older plugs were in absolutely pristine shape. No fouling whatsoever or carbon deposits. Could have continued using them but as the bike was opened up for air filter cleaning and inspection. Which at 9K had only minimal dirt accumulation. It needed only good cleaning and back it went. Saved the replacement filter I got for use next time when needed. So we decided might as well go ahead replacing the plugs.

Also to be replaced was the spark plug cap as the suppressor area of the connector was oddly eaten up by rat. Oddly and weird no traces of rat activity were found. No rat urine smell too. Engine internals were clean. But for some odd reason rat decided to chew the RHS cylinder cover only. Now i have planted cloth bags with tobacco and moth balls around the bike when its parked through the week.

And last upgrade was switching to Double H sintered brake pads from EBC. Again sourced from MotoUsher. Stock brakes are decent enough and could do with more braking feel and power. So changing to EBC has made immediate effect on braking feel and power. Stops better and faster than OEM pads I had. I think they are tad bit noisy but that's okay to me. Next up will try and source steel braided lines and that should sort things for good I feel.

Buy Link - https://shop.motousher.com/products/...hh-ebc-2-pairs

A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_5405.jpg

Well that's the small update I had from my end. Peace

Attachment 2222076
Attached Thumbnails
A happy ending to an otherwise disastrous year : My pre-owned Honda CBR 650F aka Raven!-img_5309.jpg  

akshayhonda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 16:29   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Lastly have got custom made bar end weights by members of the 650 Owners India group on the bike. They have led to substantial decrease if the handlebar vibes which was highly annoying for me as it left me with vibey sort of fingers at the end of 200+kms of riding. Cost me 700INR with shipping. Stock screws fit perfectly on them. They look a little odd but their benefits outweigh the looks. Which I don't mind at all.
Hello Akshay, been following your thread for a longtime and its a great source of information for fellow owners like me. Just wanted to know how did you source the custom bar end weights. The vibes between 4.5-5.5k rpm over long rides is beginning to bother me now.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd May 2022 at 05:58. Reason: Trimming quoted text.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks