Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 15:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports at Rs. 16 lakh

Honda has launched the 2021 Africa Twin Adventure Sport
- Has IMU rider aids
- SHOWA electronic suspension
- Adjustable windscreen
- 6.5" TFT touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and bluetooth.
- 24.8L fuel tank
- Rs. 15.96L for MT, Rs. 17.5L for DCT (ex-showroom)

Book Now

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th January 2021 at 15:38.
Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 16:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports at Rs. 16 lakh

Honda has launched the 2021 Africa Twin Adventure Sports in India at a price of Rs. 15.97 lakh (ex-showroom, pan India). The company has also started accepting bookings for the bike at its BigWing Topline dealerships.

Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports at Rs. 16 lakh-2021-africa-twin-adventure-sports.jpg

The 2021 Africa Twin features a bolt-on aluminium subframe and swing arm. The bike comes with new colour options in both DCT and manual transmission variants. While the former comes in Pearl Glare White Tricolor, the latter is finished in Darkness Black Metallic.

The bike is powered by a 1,084cc, parallel twin that delivers 98 BHP and 103 Nm. It comes with a lithium-ion battery that is claimed to offer a 1.6 times longer shelf life and 4 times longer durability in comparison to a conventional battery.

The Africa Twin Adventure Sports comes with Honda's six-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) that controls Throttle by Wire (TBW) and expanded 7 level Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC).

Additionally, the IMU also controls 4 features:
  1. Wheelie Control allows rider to choose between 3 levels of Input. Level 1 allows for intended wheel lift but suppresses any sudden movement, level 3 stops any front wheel elevation and level 2 is mid-way between the two.
  2. Cornering ABS with off-road setting distributes the maximum brake force to each wheel based on the riding situation. Off-Road setting also joins the default riding modes of Urban, Tour and Gravel plus two customizable user settings to cover most riding conditions.
  3. Rear Lift Control allows the rear wheel from lifting off the ground under heavy braking.
  4. Cornering Detection feature in the DCT variant recognizes when the bike is cornering and adjusts the gear changes.

The Africa Twin Adventure Sports features a slim-section seat and high-set handlebars. The frame and body style are especially designed for off-road touring. It comes with a 5-stage adjustable windscreen, adjustable seat, heated grips and tubeless tires. Other features include dual LED headlights with DRLs, cornering lights, cruise control and charging.

The bike has a fuel tank of 24.5 litres and a fully coloured MID with a 6.5-inch TFT touchscreen display with the Apple CarPlay & Bluetooth connectivity.

A range of Honda accessories is available for both variants of the Africa Twin, including top box, rear carrier, rally step, DCT pedal shifter, fog lamp, fog lamp ATT, visor and side pipe.

Prices:

Manual transmission - Rs. 15,96,500

DCT - Rs. 17,50,500

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 16:32   #3
BHPian

So if I understand correctly, the motorcycle was earlier in white and the scooter was in black, and this year the colors swap, right?

I am tempted to give the motorcycle (and not the scooter) a try but apparently demo bikes don't exist in NCR (yet?)
tanayr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 19:29   #4
BHPian

So does India still get the handicapped low seat height / short travel suspension model of the AT or do we get the proper international version with real offroad capable suspension?

The least Honda could do is launch the base model AT with the standard long travel suspension for the customer segment that would like to use it as a real adventure bike and not a glorified tourer.
suneel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 20:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
I guess it is the real deal finally.

However, on road prices start at 20 lakhs, going up to 22L for the Africa Twin now. Way too much IMHO!
Old 12th January 2021, 20:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I guess it is the real deal finally.

However, on road prices start at 20 lakhs, going up to 22L for the Africa Twin now. Way too much IMHO!
I concur. Pretty stupid to spend this kind of money on a motorcycle.
Old 12th January 2021, 21:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
——-
I don’t think the electronic suspension is available on India specific model. Even the PDF brochure mentions the same. If that is included then it makes sense. But I really doubt it
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 21:34   #8
BHPian

There's no electronic suspension folks. The only change is the swap in colours between the manual and DCT compared to the 2020 AT.

And the unexplained 60K increase on the manual and more than 1L increase on the DCT. So what was pricey has got ridiculously overpriced now.

I believe the swap in colours is to entice more people to go for the DCT. It'll be interesting to see if the manual sold more than the DCT in 2020 only because of the tricolour or because people preferred the manual.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 12th January 2021 at 21:37.
Added_flavor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 12:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanayr View Post
So if I understand correctly, the motorcycle was earlier in white and the scooter was in black, and this year the colors swap, right?
Yes, they have swapped the colours offered. The DCT being more premium deserves the White Tri-Colour, looks absolutely amazing.
I believe the consumers going for Africa Twin are selecting the variants based on the colour scheme offered. HMIL can earn more with premium-priced DCT if they offer it with the flagship colour.
Old 14th January 2021, 16:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I concur. Pretty stupid to spend this kind of money on a motorcycle.
Isn't the GS 25L plus and fairly popular? I don't think it's "stupid" if people who have the money want to spend it on whatever they like. It's all relative. 20 is a lot to some people and nothing to some people.

Not that I'm interested in the AT or GS.
suneel is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 16:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
Isn't the GS 25L plus and fairly popular? I don't think it's "stupid" if people who have the money want to spend it on whatever they like. It's all relative. 20 is a lot to some people and nothing to some people.

Not that I'm interested in the AT or GS.
Ofcourse, people who have the money can do whatever they want. They probably aren't sitting around here defending their decisions anyway.

But 20+ lakhs for an adventure motorcycle for an average joe which
- you will be worried about parking anywhere
- you will dread every annual service (cost)
- you will be paranoid about dropping the bike
- you will be stressed out with the parts cost
- you will be loathe to travel far and wide because what if something happens and I have to cart the bike 1000+ kms to the nearest SVC.

There are a lot of average joes who are smitten by these big tax suckers.
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 11:59   #12
BHPian

Three things Honda did wrong with 2021 model, IMHO:

1. Price hike of INR 60k - 1.4L without adding anything let alone the ES.

2. Swapping the colors when they could have offered both considering that the customer is paying 20L+.

3. No quick shifter on the MT.

That being said, Triumph Tiger Rallye Pro also costs as much as AT MT. Which makes you think if the MT version is still priced decently.

However, they surely exploited the USP of their bike while pricing the DCT.
the_skyliner is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 12:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Honda has commenced the deliveries of 2021 Africa Twin Adventure Sports in the country. The first customer units were handed over at the company's exclusive dealership in Mumbai's Andheri and at Levelle Road in Bengaluru. Link

Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports at Rs. 16 lakh-20210209_122826.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 9th February 2021 at 12:32.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 18:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
=====
- Rs. 15.96L for MT, Rs. 17.5L for DCT (ex-showroom)
Finally after following the African Twin for years, I get to see (and may be own sometime ) in India. Definitely going to have a feel on a TD

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th February 2021 at 19:32. Reason: Fixing quotes
Old 9th March 2021, 22:24   #15
BHPian

Went down to BigWingHonda Andheri to check out the 2021 AT DCT. The on road price of the bike is almost 22 Lakhs! This is insanely expensive. Considering the first gen of the AT which was launched in 17’ was for almost 13-14L on road. No doubt the bike has come a long way from what it was back in the day. But I still feel the price hike is insane and does not do justice to what the bike is. Maybe paying a few lakhs more and going on for the BMW R1250GS makes more sense.
BikeDevil44 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks