Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2021, 19:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: 2021 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RS teased. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.95 lakh

New one may make more power, but the old one is a beauty
2021 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RS teased. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.95 lakh-triumphspeedtriplemissionimpossible9056462721.jpg

Compared to the above, this one is ravishingly beautiful
2021 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RS teased. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.95 lakh-productsspeed_triple_20101.jpg

No comments on the new model
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 19:39   #17
BHPian

I might be odd one out here but big nakeds don't make sense anywhere in the world, that wind blast is enough for me to look elsewhere. No way one can put to use that 180 ps without having adequate wind protection. Those flyscreens on offer do nothing significant. Smaller cousin Street Triple is a better street naked anyday.
ast.ggn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 20:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
I might be odd one out here but big nakeds don't make sense anywhere in the world, that wind blast is enough for me to look elsewhere. No way one can put to use that 180 ps without having adequate wind protection. Those flyscreens on offer do nothing significant. Smaller cousin Street Triple is a better street naked anyday.
You got a valid point here, 180ps is like crazy power on a bike at any point of time and like you mentioned no flyscreens will do justice to the wind blast one has to face in that speeds but personally I liked the looks of the bike
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 22:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RS teased. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.95 lakh

Even with wind protection, 180ps is mad power on 2 wheels. Not for everyone. And even for the champs, it's not something you put to use on roads. But rather this one is like having a lambo in your garage. It's not all about stats, it's about how even a fraction of the power makes you feel!
Hypernakeds and supercars otherwise are never meant to appeal to practical side of things. You gotta be irrational and rich to want and own one. ��
Old 30th January 2021, 23:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

This is one sweet and sensational motorcycle. Looks to kill for, the power and punch to carry it through if in the hands of an inexperienced rider or a mistake. Technically speaking with all the rider aids available on modern bikes they are almost idiot proof if only the monkey astride it keeps control over his right wrist.

Big/powerful bikes are not only for experiencing the upper part of the power band or only for how fast they can go, it’s about the feel, flow and love. The way a big bike will make you feel at relatively slow speeds (for this type of bike) like ~100 kmph is on another level.

People who don’t have this passion in their heart will never understand what they represent.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 20:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
People who don’t have this passion in their heart will never understand what they represent.
If I were to experience 180 ps I would prefer to do it on a supersport anyday. I am sure Speed Triple will be capable of easy 250 kmph+, no offence but good luck with wind blast at that speed no matter what amount of passion you have. Sooner or later you will realize that you are stuck with wrong bike, not worth spending 20 lacs. You can get better bikes (read: safer) at more or less same price.

Last edited by ast.ggn : 31st January 2021 at 20:29.
ast.ggn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 23:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
If I were to experience 180 ps I would prefer to do it on a supersport anyday.
Sooner or later you will realize that you are stuck with wrong bike, not worth spending 20 lacs. You can get better bikes (read: safer) at more or less same price.
I spoke about passion for big bikes which encompasses the entire big bike universe, super sports and super nakeds. I love this Speed Triple more than any super sport

Your first sentence sums it up perfectly, YOU would prefer a super sport, I prefer a super naked. In India which bike (on which road) are you going to be able to do 250+ speeds my friend, unless you take it to a race track.

The riding experience (feel) is what I am focusing on which is entirely different going from a super sports to a super naked. That’s what the person spending the big bucks decides for himself. Of course nothing wrong with either, it’s a personal choice. Similarly there is no “better” or “worse” bike, it’s personal preference.

Please explain with the comprehensive rider aids given as standard on this Speed which bike you would consider “safer” and why. Anyways, I really don’t see how any of these rocket projectiles (super bikes) could be classified as safe or one being safer than the other.

Cheers

Mods - apologies if we are digressing from the topic, please excuse. Thanks.
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 12:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

A fellow enthusiast shared the breakup of the on road pricing for Kerala. At first glance, the road tax number looked suspiciously steep.

2021 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RS teased. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.95 lakh-whatsapp-image-20210617-13.13.03.jpeg

From the Trident launch, I knew how the Triumph dealers around the country were either
1. baking in additional illegal handling charges into the road tax amount or
2. outright charging it as a separate line item.

I pulled out the calculator to see how much extra is being added here. The road tax for Kerala is 21%. So the actual road tax amount should be 21% of Rs 16.95 L which is Rs 3,55,950. However, they have inflated it to Rs 3,78,254.

When I had asked the local sales team about these inflated numbers for the Trident, they said that it was for a basic accessories kit of a full tank of fuel, bike polish etc and Rs 6,000 was a CBU tax that nobody has heard of.

Im sure they will have a similar line of reasoning for the additional Rs 22,304 that has been wrongly added under the the road tax amount. That amount gets you a really good helmet or quality riding gear. Do consider getting your local salesperson to waive these ridiculous charges and use if for some quality accessories or riding gear for yourself.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 13:30   #24
BHPian

Finally an Indian channel review of the Speed Triple 1200

Seems like Triumph have completely changed the character of the bike compared to the old Speed Triple 1050. The new one seems to be more track focused like the Street Triple 765 RS.
Old 11th August 2021, 13:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
A fellow enthusiast shared the breakup of the on road pricing for Kerala. At first glance, the road tax number looked suspiciously steep.

From the Trident launch, I knew how the Triumph dealers around the country were either
1. baking in additional illegal handling charges into the road tax amount or
2. outright charging it as a separate line item.

I pulled out the calculator to see how much extra is being added here. The road tax for Kerala is 21%. So the actual road tax amount should be 21% of Rs 16.95 L which is Rs 3,55,950. However, they have inflated it to Rs 3,78,254.

When I had asked the local sales team about these inflated numbers for the Trident, they said that it was for a basic accessories kit of a full tank of fuel, bike polish etc and Rs 6,000 was a CBU tax that nobody has heard of.

Im sure they will have a similar line of reasoning for the additional Rs 22,304 that has been wrongly added under the the road tax amount. That amount gets you a really good helmet or quality riding gear. Do consider getting your local salesperson to waive these ridiculous charges and use if for some quality accessories or riding gear for yourself.
How long will Triumph India keep quite on this day light robbery ?. Or is it Triumph India higher ups getting some percentage share from this stolen money ?. Any way, we all have a mindset to keep quite and move on.

Last edited by shan_ned : 11th August 2021 at 13:52.
Old 11th August 2021, 17:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Finally an Indian channel review of the Speed Triple 1200

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=74KgZZ8BDBc

Seems like Triumph have completely changed the character of the bike compared to the old Speed Triple 1050. The new one seems to be more track focused like the Street Triple 765 RS.
Well made video giving goosebumps, but felt it was a bit awkward to see the stunts and speeds being done on public roads and that too, in the wet. Is it not, in some way, promoting unsafe riding on public roads? There was not even a disclaimer to this effect.
Or is it just me who felt it
Old 12th August 2021, 19:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Well made video giving goosebumps, but felt it was a bit awkward to see the stunts and speeds being done on public roads and that too, in the wet. Is it not, in some way, promoting unsafe riding on public roads? There was not even a disclaimer to this effect.
Or is it just me who felt it
That's true. His stunts are awesome but all on public roads. Though by the look of things definitely some remote roads. But still there should have been a disclaimer at the very least given the large following Sarge has got even since his PD days.

That said the review itself is very impressive. Take away the glitz and glamor and there is still plenty of learnings to take away from his reviews.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 19:33   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would anyone want this over the Streetfighter V4? The Ducati is way more beautiful and powerful also! And this one lacks an entire cylinder
Old 13th August 2021, 07:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Why would anyone want this over the Streetfighter V4? The Ducati is way more beautiful and powerful also! And this one lacks an entire cylinder
Its an apples to oranges comparison

The base V4 streetfighter starts at 20 lacs, ex showroom price.

The V4S which has the ohlins suspension is priced at 23 lacs, ex showroom price

The V4S is probably the more appropriate bike to compare against the Speed Triple, given both have the higher spec components, but then again 6 lacs price difference is a lot. You can get 1 more liter class bike for that difference.

If money were no object, then yes Ducati any day. But from a practical point then its Triumph.
no_fear is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 10:35   #30
BHPian

My initial impressions from Test riding the Speed Triple RS.

1. Road mode, Sport mode - the TC is still intrusive. Bike is jerky in city traffic, almost a kill joy. Electronics safety net can be felt. Torque at low end was missed.

2. Rider mode (customized) - the bike was a real hooligan!
Reminded me of the raw character of my erstwhile ST3 675 😁. Ooodles of power at low end and mid range. Electronics intrusion was at minimal. Very addictive!

3. Brakes are phenomenal, owing to a lighter bike + brembo Stilema

4. Handling - very agile and nimble. Front felt a bit too light. Very easy bike to manoeuvre in city traffic. I feel at long sweepers, it can be an issue, but that's for another day to find out.

5. Post mid range, the torque is amiss. But that's a naked street monster character.

Overall impression - Triumph has done a phenomenal job of reviving the legendary Speed Triple. My favourite of the Speed Triple variants would definitely be the Speed Triple 1050. In true words that was a Gentleman's naked bike. The new RS has lost out on the Gentleman part.

After this test ride when I got back on my bike to ride home, immediately noticed -

1. The Tuono felt like - let's get down to business! Generations of refinement of a decade old product, has its own charm.

2. The Speed felt a bit more Japanese bike kind. Good overall fit and finish, spot on handling. Somewhere that European personality feel was lost in wanting..

3. Torque band of the V4! You cannot compare it with any other.

4. Coming from the old school of thought - a litre bike feel (on the heavier side) and feeling more planted was missed on the Speed RS.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RS teased. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.95 lakh-20210829_103343_hdr.jpg  

2021 Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RS teased. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.95 lakh-20210829_103338_hdr.jpg  

Monaro CV8 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed