Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2021, 13:13   #16
BHPian

Re: 2020 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imported Motorcycles

Wow, I really am shocked, I know these are covid hit figures but damm! I think we should be thankful for whatever sales and service support we are getting in India with such dismal sales, I really feel for people who have setup huge showrooms and service centers for these, must be out of passion, makes hardly any business sense to me.

The bike I want to upgrade to next, Honda Cbr650r, is not even on this list, did it really sell 0 units?
Paints a very gloomy and depressing picture of superbike market in India, I better hurry and get cbr right away before they run out of business.

I am a home audio enthusiast too and even that industry is similar to this one, hardly any demand, a very niche market and poor sales, but where it differs is you don't really get any service support, many brands don't even sell here, and whatever brands do cost more than 200-300% of their international prices! The dealers are thugs and will like to milk any customer that comes, they would love to sell audio cables costing 10,000 rupees per feet, you read that right, a decent electric wire costing 1% of that usually does the job done perfectly.

Superbike market is much, much more reasonable comparatively, I hope it expands in India but I don't see why, people my age (I am 27) don't want bikes altogether, let alone superbikes. Lets hope the industry survives somehow.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th February 2021 at 23:36. Reason: Capitalising all the i’s. Please pay attention while typing. Thanks.
Rocketscience is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 13:35   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
The bike i want to upgrade to next, Honda Cbr650r
Lack of supply rather than demand. It sold 117 units in 2019 and last year wouldn't have been very different, but the BS6 version is yet to arrive and expected only by mid 2021.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 14:13   #18
BHPian

Thanks CrAzY dRiVeR for compiling this data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
[center][b][*]Harley Davidson Street 750 still has an unparalleled lead over the competition, even with the manufacturer losing interest in the market.
Shows the despite the hate it draws from a lot of loud mouths, the strength the brand had in the super bike market in India. Even with basically no sales in the last quarter of the year, it still held onto second place in the market. With the end of the Street and Sportster lines for HD next year, we may see a further contraction in the total sales numbers for super bikes in India.

Quote:
[*]Manufacturers like BMW Motorrad, Ducati, Benelli etc are not included because data is not available.
Out of these brands, I think only BMW would likely report any significant volume, they have claimed in press releases sales of over 500 super bikes, which would much them into fourth behind Triumph. And considering the majority of their sales seem to be the flagship GS / GSAs it would be a likely be higher in value.

Quote:
[*]Honda Africa Twin is widely regarded as a very capable adventure tourer - and has been their biggest seller for 2020, with 52 units.
Probably the biggest let down on the list - Honda killing its own AT sales by both limiting supply and cutting equipment like electronic suspension on a 20L+ motorcycle.

I know a lot of people who skipped the AT for a GS only for the electronic suspension and people waiting to buy a Goldwing and being told there is no supply this year.

Hopefully with the Big Wing showrooms, there will be some improvement in at least the supply side issues.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 17:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Superbike market is much, much more reasonable comparatively, i hope it expands in India but i don't see why, people my age (i'm 27) don't want bikes altogether, let alone superbikes. Lets hope the industry survives somehow.
Not surprising. I know Millennials who graduate directly from ACTIVA to XUV 500.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 19:31   #20
BHPian

My neighbour wants to get a CBR650R. Went to Big Wing Mumbai - no stock, except Highness and Africa Twin. CBR 1000RRR - no stock. No news of BS6 versions whatsoever.

Changed mind, went to Kawi. Z900 - available, 1000SX - available!!! Applause for Kawasaki for getting the machines ready in no time.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th February 2021 at 23:33. Reason: Removing unwanted dots..... makes a mess of readability. Thanks.
coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 20:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
My neighbour wants to get a CBR650R. Went to Big Wing Mumbai - no stock, except Highness and Africa Twin. CBR 1000RRR - no stock. No news of BS6 versions whatsoever.

Changed mind, went to Kawi. Z900 - available, 1000SX - available!!! Applause for Kawasaki for getting the machines ready in no time.
What's the surprise?

After all each brand is selling its Bread and Butter.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th February 2021 at 23:34. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
Old 10th February 2021, 23:11   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting Rocket has sold pretty well. Ninja 1000 deserves the crown, the most versatile bike you can get, plus with all the new additions with the new model, don't think anything is missing on the bike.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 01:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
What's the surprise?

After all each brand is selling its Bread and Butter.
None! Were out shopping after a long time. Honda could really do better though. That was the surprise, but I expected them to be the way they are, taking their own sweet time to bring their bikes in.
Old 11th February 2021, 15:18   #24

Want to tear my hair out due to Yamaha. They have a bike in almost every category and then some, like Yamaha Niken, yet nothing interesting on the India menu card. Wonder why they can't offer MT and XSR range here. Given our long relationship with Yamaha through Rx, RD and subsequent models, I would think marketing new products would be easier. Perplexing!
Petroleus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 18:36   #25
BHPian

Re: 2020 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports

Quote:
  • Overall numbers are significantly lower, especially thanks to Harley Davidson.
  • Only Triumph registered growth in sales figures last year.
  • Suzuki was significantly impacted by the discontinuation of the good old 'Busa!
But Gradually Harley market share is going to dwindle after the exit from India as the buyers are skeptical of service issues.
Old 11th February 2021, 21:52   #26
BHPian

Wonder why the 650 twins are not in the list?
Old 12th February 2021, 08:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpadki View Post
Wonder why the 650 twins are not in the list?
They aren't imported...
imranstael is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks