Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2021, 19:50   #31
BHPian

re: Used Superbikes & Big Motorcycles on sale in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The pre-owned superbike world is filled with lucrative offers. Being a niche market with very limited takers, the prices of these lightning pieces of machinery on two wheels crash like nothing else. Many give up their dream of riding one in our hot, unplanned and hostile roads within a week, month or a year. Some ride them for a good couple of years garnering a few thousands on the odo before setting their sights on their next desirable upgrade.
Excellent heads up for SBK dreamers to turn them into reality!

From 2020, with the BS6 regulations very few Superbikes have filtered through. I was just checking the superbikes officially available as of date,

BMW
F900R
F900XR
S1000XR
S1000RR
R1250R
R1250GS/A
R18

DUCATI
Multistrada 950S
Panigale V2
Scrambler Dark, Icon, 1100

HONDA
Fireblade
Africa Twin 1100/DCT

SUZUKI
V-Strom 650XT

TRIUMPH
Street Twin
Bonneville T100, T120, Speedmaster
Street Triple R/RS
Speed Triple RS
Tiger 900 GT/Rally
Rocket III

KAWASAKI
Z650
Ninja 650
Versys 650
Vulcan S
W800
Z900
Ninja 1000 SX
Versys 1000

We all know how the BS6 pricing has been recently! The pre-owned route seems the best option and many models are not on sale right now.

I'm quoting my own post,
Quote:
For the big bikes,
- Kawasaki gives an excellent starting point with the 650s.
- ABS models should be preferred
- Z800 is one underdog
- Ninja 1K - You know better!

- Honda CBR650F is the pick for inline-fours to start with.

- Suzuki Vstrom can be your one bike do it all kind of adventures, even two-up.
- Suzuki GSX-S750 was sold in less numbers so is a difficult find but easy to maintain and modify.

- Triumph Tiger 800 will be one of the best options for two-up adventures. Triumph service and maintenance can be tricky though.

As some expert said, in buying a used Superbike your initial cost is less but your maintenance costs are same if not higher for the first few instances. Do keep that in mind.
Thanks @moralfibre

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 3rd February 2021 at 19:52.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:44   #32
BHPian

Excellent thread @moralfibre!

It couldn't have been written at a better juncture in time as I've just put up my Suzuki GSX S750 for sale.

Going through your thread had several takeaways to learn from and apply during the sale process, from the perspective of a seller.

From my experience so far on OLX, there are many prospective buyers who propose on-the-spot offers without needing to see the bike or meet/speak with the owner. I'm not sure what to make of this, however am responding to each and every person with due diligence/respect.

Many thanks @surjaonwheelz for cross-referencing the AD in this thread!

For easy-reference to anyone looking for a fast, extremely reliable and delicious Inline-4 naked, please check out the AD here:

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...GSX-S750.html/

A glimpse of what's being offered!
Used Superbikes & Big Motorcycles on sale in India-20191109_132001.jpg

Last edited by GoBlue : 3rd February 2021 at 20:45.
GoBlue is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 23:08   #33
BHPian

Excellent Thread and at a time when I'm in the process.

Have been looking for a pre-worshipped mid-segment (preferably a Versys 650) in Bangalore. But haven't found any yet.

Alternatively, I also tried looking for Iron 883 / Superlow from HD or a Triumph Bonneville, but hardly any worthy options.

I'm not a very OLX person, somehow not very comfortable dealing online.

Would love to look out for worthy options coming up in Bangalore.
Thumping Soul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 16:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Excellent Thread and at a time when I'm in the process.

Have been looking for a pre-worshipped mid-segment (preferably a Versys 650) in Bangalore. But haven't found any yet.

Alternatively, I also tried looking for Iron 883 / Superlow from HD or a Triumph Bonneville, but hardly any worthy options.

I'm not a very OLX person, somehow not very comfortable dealing online.

Would love to look out for worthy options coming up in Bangalore.
As BHPian Zinda has rightly said, Bangalore has certain peculiarities:-

1.Depreciation for 5-7 year old Big Bikes are as low as 30%!. I understand that Road tax here, is highest in India but folks here seem to be under the notion that Bikes are an asset to be profited from!

2. When you finally come to a deal on any half decent used bike, out of nowhere the owner could potentially spring a surprise saying, the aftermarket levers, the arrow exhaust and the aux-lamps are all extra and only the bare-bones bike will be given for the negotiated price. I can understand these propositions if these were made clear in the advert for the bike or the during the negotiation phase, but not when you are about to pay for it!

3.Unless you are part of a big bike circle (preferably within TeamBHP or XBHP) OR you have the means/patience/skill to access and read between the lines in the bike's service record (No official service records are shared without the consent of the Owner, and this a red flag if the owner is not forthcoming on sharing this vital data) and get the bike checked physically with an FNG that knows Big bikes, YOU ARE ALMOST ALWAYS GOING TO LAND UP WITH A LEMON!
Neo18 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 19:00   #35
BHPian

Great thread. Many here seem to be talking about a bikes history and service record. Believe me if you know the person selling the bike and have seen the bike or if the owner is honest with the bike the deal can be closed without any problem. Honesty is the key. I have never given my bike to Kawasaki for any service except once when I realized my front wheel is mounted the wrong way and the brand new bike was delivered like that. Back in 2016 Kawasaki service was pathetic and I learnt a lot about my bike online and through videos. I till date work on my bike myself. Every routine service and installation of accessories is done by me. I can even train someone to be a mechanic for the zx14r ��. So my bike has no service record or history not that I will be selling it anytime soon.
HYPERTOURER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 20:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post

3.Unless you are part of a big bike circle (preferably within TeamBHP or XBHP) OR you have the means/patience/skill to access and read between the lines in the bike's service record (No official service records are shared without the consent of the Owner, and this a red flag if the owner is not forthcoming on sharing this vital data) and get the bike checked physically with an FNG that knows Big bikes, YOU ARE ALMOST ALWAYS GOING TO LAND UP WITH A LEMON!
And precisely that what I have been worried about - "Landing up with a LEMON".

So, after carefully considering & thinking through quite a bit over the last few weeks, booked an Interceptor today. Most likely, should be getting delivered by mid-February!
Thumping Soul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 11:33   #37
BHPian

Kudos to all for setting up this thread. I have been looking to buy a few used bikes and its been a very interesting experience.

I noticed that there is a very healthy and diverse market for used Japanese bikes. However for Italian bikes such as Aprilia, Ducati and MV Agusta, the market is very limited. I see mostly used dealers selling them rather than individuals.

I follow the facebook groups that post classifieds and once in a while I see an ad for a Ducati, much rarer to see an MV.

In those cases, the individual posting the ad is a dealer, or someone with a fake profile. Recently, I was interested in a Ducati, and the seller mentioned that he is a sales person at a large European bike showroom in North India. Curiosity got the better of me as I checked his profile and then called the showroom directly. To my surprise, there was no individual by that name working there. I called all the showrooms in case there was an error on my end, but all said no, there is no one by that name working here.

Needless to say I didnt pursue further. While used dealers get a bad reputation, as others have said - spend time doing your due diligence. If something looks too good to be true, it probably is.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 12:12   #38
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

For those looking for a used Triumph, you can also check out Approved Triumph Pre-Owned Motorcycles.

Every Approved Triumph Pre-Owned Motorcycle comes with:
●1 Year unlimited mileage warranty
●1 Year Roadside Assistance
●Certified Vehicle Quality check
●Full Service History
●Vehicle History and Mileage Check
●Finance available

Currently I only see these 4 bikes on their portal :

Street Triple RS
₹ 8,00,000
Reg Year: 2020
Kms: 6,943

Bonneville T120
₹ 8,90,000
Kms: 10

Street Triple S
₹ 9,00,000
Reg Year: 2017
Kms: 18,943

Bonneville T120
₹ 12,50,000
Reg Year: 2021
Kms: 6,072
v12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 16:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
For those looking for a used Triumph, you can also check out Approved Triumph Pre-Owned Motorcycles.

Street Triple RS
₹ 8,00,000
Kms: 6,943
This white street triple is their ex demo RS and is originally a 2018 bike I think and was registered in 2020 when the transition to BS6 happened. It had had a few dings but it seems its all fixed now. Had seen it 10 days back and at-least visually it was absolutely perfect. Also the tires were changed to brand new Michelin Road5s not the Supercorsa SPs that you see in the pictures. Worth checking out for sure.

Last edited by RohanDheman : 5th February 2021 at 16:16.
RohanDheman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 18:12   #40
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Do they declare this information to the prospective buyer? I hope they do, irrespective of the condition of the motorcycle. The Street Triple RS looks beautiful in white.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 20:15   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Do they declare this information to the prospective buyer? I hope they do, irrespective of the condition of the motorcycle. The Street Triple RS looks beautiful in white.
Yes they are upfront, if you see the link this is first thing in description.

Quote:
We are selling our demo Street Triple RS which is pre registered. The motorcycle is well taken care of, and in very good condition.
AtheK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 12:07   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Yes they are upfront, if you see the link this is first thing in description.
It got sold day before yesterday. Sahil, from One Triumph (Gurgaon) told me about the same.
Old 17th February 2021, 21:40   #43
Team-BHP Support

Selling my 2018 - 1200-GSA Triple black with lowered suspension. Have done only highway rides and mileage is around 4000 km. Under extended warranty and comes with 3 BMW Aluminum Panniers. No Insurance claims or any known faults. Timely serviced. Just like brand new.

Not being able to get the time to ride so will be best to pass to an enthusiast.

Listed at forum here

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy.../R1200GS.html/
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 22:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

I enquired about Triumph Bonneville sometime back and found there is a catch for people from outside states(I am from Bangalore)

Although the bike is claimed to be absolutely new(0 km on odo) and comes with standard warranty, the tax need to be paid by the purchaser for Karnataka. So if you purchase at 8 lakhs, as part of 8 lakhs, you would have paid a part for road tax at Delhi and you again need to pay road tax at Bangalore.

So, to me, it didn't look like attractive because it almost comes to same new bike onroad price

So, beware about this extra cost while enquiring.

Last edited by gkveda : 17th February 2021 at 22:13.
Old 18th February 2021, 11:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Friendly tips:

Tip #1:

Pictures received from the bhpian when he declared it a total loss after his bike was flood damaged:
I have a lot of free time and love DIY projects.
I have repaired a lot of electronic goods in my life, including many with water damage, thanks to 99% isopropyl alcohol.

As far as engines go, I have a fair theoretical knowledge, I do basic vehicle maintenance myself, including adjusting valve clearance (tappet adjustment) on simple SOHC motorcycles.

I got tempted to get my hands on that Ninja 1000 and try to repair it myself, obviously I don't know how much time and money is required by such flooded vehicles, I am HOPING that if I spend a lot of time, I won't need to spend a lot of money. What is the reason for declaring it a TOTAL LOSS?

Can you provide the profile name/link of the BHPian?

Most Viewed