Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 12:56   #76
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Used Superbikes & Big Motorcycles on sale in India

Last year I had come across various videos by some Youtubers exposing some used superbike dealers in the Delhi Karol Bagh area. Lot of scams were reported - old tyres, fake exhausts, tampered readings etc.

Couldnt understand some of the offers on these bikes.
You pay the entire amount for a superbike ( outright or finance)
the bike is handed over to you.
RC Book is not transferred ... but there is a delivery note signed. So bike still stays in the name of the first owner.
You take the bike to your state /hometown.
You return the bike after 6 months and the dealer will buy it for a lakh less (assuming there are no damages). This is called a Buyback policy.
Bike is back on sale again.

Is all this even legal?
v12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 13:39   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Last year I had come across various videos by some Youtubers exposing some used superbike dealers in the Delhi Karol Bagh area. Lot of scams were reported - old tyres, fake exhausts, tampered readings etc.

Is all this even legal?
V2, this is an elaborate scam that was started by vloggers themselves. Without going into names, the game that is played is something like this.

1. Vlogger goes to showroom and promotes a particular model. "Review" of the bike videos are posted on youtube and insta. Vlogger gets thousands of likes and comments, gets his followers all excited. Some even hold surveys asking their followers which bike to buy next.
2. Dealer "sells" the bike to vlogger who goes away happily riding into the sunset with the newest toy.
3. RC stays in the name of the dealer. It is not transferred over.
4. Vlogger comes back after a few months looking to "upgrade" the bike.
5. Pretends to sell or exchange the bike with the dealer and goes off with another one.

The dealer gets free marketing on youtube or insta or pay a token amount to the vloggers for this scheme. This is done for bikes that are hard to sell, inventory sitting on the floor for a while, wrapped bikes; the list is endless.....General public gets swayed by the video reviews and vlogger clout and end up going to buy that bike from the dealer.

Then there are others who play the game that you have mentioned

1. Go to dealer and say will deal in cash. If bike asking price is 10 lacs, pays 8 lacs upfront and goes off with bike
2. RC stays with dealer, new owner enjoys bike for a few months to a year on the tolerance of the dealer.
3. Returns bike to dealer and says ok I paid you 8 lacs, this is buy back price of the bike.
4. Dealer goes back and puts the bike on market with a new advertisement and says its first or second owner (removes the fact that the bike was with another owner since RC transfer never happened). Sells same bike for 10 lacs or 11 lacs.
5. From the rider's point of view, they get to enjoy ownership of a superbike and bragging rights for a year; a chance to upgrade to another bike; or a clever way to utilize an asset by paying minimum depreciation cost. Take your pick.

From the point of legality - if authorities pull you over and you cannot produce the relevant documents, such as registration papers, then the bike will get impounded. Now if you have insurance and the dealer vouches for you saying they have authorized you to utilize the motorbike, then the authorities are lenient. This is big grey area.

Welcome to the big bad world of 2nd hand super bike wheeling and dealing in NCR.

There are some legitimate and genuine 2nd hand bike dealers and I do my business with them. Their prices are a bit higher but I know what I am getting.

Karol Bagh is the hub for knock off bike parts. The AGV Rossi K1 helmet that retails for 30k INR, you can get a knock off one for 10-15k. You won't be able to differentiate the real from the fake - the build quality is that good
Akra or SC Projects exhausts - same story.

Last edited by no_fear : 7th April 2021 at 14:05.
no_fear is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 13:44   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You pay the entire amount for a superbike ( outright or finance)
the bike is handed over to you........
You return the bike after 6 months and the dealer will buy it for a lakh less (assuming there are no damages). This is called a Buyback policy.
Bike is back on sale again.

Is all this even legal?
There is another variant that is rampant. Recently a big used bike dealer here offered a friend of mine a 800 Scrambler for use for 6 months at 12k/month. The bike would have continued in the name (and risk) of the owner. This is not even a buyback, just rental.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 13:50   #79
BHPian

Quote:

Is all this even legal?
It's out in the open, some YouTubers buy/keep/borrow such superbikes for content. Do all such things as a pseudo owner that you will hate to the core. Doesn't transfer the bike in his name all this while and returns the bike in another city to the same dealer. This is what is shown/visible on YouTube, imagine what happens behind the scenes!

Bike being referred: A certain GSX-R1000

The traders take the risk as it's better than standing inventory. Same must be the case with Luxury cars!

/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 14:10   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

The downside of all this, a bike recently crashed, I won't go into specifics, but the bike was still on previous owner name. Now the current owner is in ICU with police lodging an FIR on previous owner name, who is in US. He in turn has lodged a counter FIR on the current owner. It's a complete mess. Though this is not a Vlogger or a dealer scenario, but a very possible one with anyone on the road, and if you are not well connected, this can ruin your life for a long long time.

As a buyer when I pick a pre-owned bike in addition to all the due diligence, I keep the bike parked at home and just shine and polish it till RC and Insurance is transferred. I urge all fellow members to do the same, and wait it out for a couple of more weeks. You have waited a lifetime to get your dream bike, a couple of more weeks won't hurt. You can use that time to maybe ceramic coat the bike

Last edited by AtheK : 7th April 2021 at 14:23.
AtheK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 14:33   #81
BHPian

What do you guys think about this bike for sale?

https://www.olx.in/item/2018-kawasak...iid-1624162195

I see this adv in multiple platforms. 5.5 L asking price in OLX being the Lowest. I know the selling price in bangalore in 2018/19 was around 6.2 - 6.6 for z650 owing to additional discounts that time given by Kawasaki. So asking price is high. I am planning to check this bike with my mechanic. Any known alarms with this bike already in your circle?
Old 7th April 2021, 14:53   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumoto View Post
What do you guys think about this bike for sale?

https://www.olx.in/item/2018-kawasak...iid-1624162195

I see this adv in multiple platforms. 5.5 L asking price in OLX being the Lowest. I know the selling price in bangalore in 2018/19 was around 6.2 - 6.6 for z650 owing to additional discounts that time given by Kawasaki. So asking price is high. I am planning to check this bike with my mechanic. Any known alarms with this bike already in your circle?
Looks like a decent bike, do go and check it. Regarding the pricing for the KM's covered, looks like a decent ask, maybe settle at 5.25.

My personal view, but I never consider the price at what the previous owner might have got the bike for, it's a moot point. The only question that matters is can you get a new bike for 6.2-6.6 today. I decide in my mind what is the best price I am ready to pay for a bike, and if the condition of the bike is good, I would buy it.
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 14:59   #83
BHPian

Any first hand reviews of the super bike dealer NS.ONE in Ludhiana?
Most of his inventory looks clean but reading about all the 'games' played by these dealers in North India makes me stay away from them.
neerajdan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 15:00   #84
BHPian

There are a few BS4 models of the Z650 still on dealer floors. I think being offered now all in out the door for 6 lacs. You can use that as a benchmark in your negotiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajdan View Post
Most of his inventory looks clean but reading about all the 'games' played by these dealers in North India makes me stay away from them.
Hi neerajdan, they are clean and reputable. They have branches in both Ludhiana and Delhi. I know them well and found them to be straightforward.

They have a good quality control process and know their stuff. They are covered by 1 prominent vlogger but so far no alarm bells. They are transparent and run a tight ship.

I have bought bikes from them before. The original shop was started by 3 bikers themselves. One has now relocated to Goa.

If you want any further info, feel free to pm me. And no, I am not paid or sponsored by them nor do I have any business affiliation.

I do however spend a lot of time seeing the bikes on their site and watching my finances drain out

Last edited by Sheel : 17th April 2021 at 10:10. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
Old 7th April 2021, 15:19   #85
BHPian

Quote:

If you want any further info, feel free to pm me. And no, I am not paid or sponsored by them nor do I have any business affiliation.

I do however spend a lot of time seeing the bikes on their site and watching my finances drain out
Thank you so much. I will definitely PM you regarding the same as I am sitting here in Pune and also spending far too much time looking at a particular model on their page. Thank you so much.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th April 2021 at 10:08. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Old 7th April 2021, 15:21   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of the better ones out there. Digestible prices and the bikes are more or less clean. Have sold a few to them.

Last edited by bigron : 7th April 2021 at 15:22.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:31   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite pricy i feel. About a lakh more than the normal pricing i would feel on any given model. They always compare New pricing to their pricing. Ofcourse there is always room for negotiation.
Very good marketing strategy involved for sure.

You being in poona and them being in delhi would mean you would have to fly down to check out any particular model and also the transport cost involved in the getting the bike to you. Plus transfer charges. It would be better to look at something with service history in and around your city.
danlalan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:52   #88
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Any first hand reviews of the super bike dealer NS.ONE in Ludhiana.

As far as the word goes in the local market, they pick up all sorts of stuff, revamp & push in the market. Of course at a good premium. Better directly deal with a seller.
AWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 17:15   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bike is back on sale again
Wish some smugglers, anti social elements, chain snatchers of sort are reading this. Like you asked, whether it's legal or not...they'll get to know what's legal when they get a lethal blow
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 21:20   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Quite pricy i feel. About a lakh more than the normal pricing i would feel on any given model. They always compare New pricing to their pricing. Ofcourse there is always room for negotiation.
Very good marketing strategy involved for sure.
A fair point danlalan. Yes, the prices of the popular models like the Kawasaki Zs and the Busas are over inflated and more than market price.

They usually do a servicing of the bikes, change tires, batteries, etc.. so I would factor in about 30-40k that is built into the asking price.

Definitely room for negotiation. Maybe they keep prices high since we do like to haggle and throw lower numbers and will ultimately meet in the middle.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks