Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2021, 16:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Benelli Leoncino 500 BS6 launched at Rs. 4.60 lakh

Benelli has launched the BS6-compliant Leoncino 500 in India. The bike is priced at Rs. 4.60 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

Benelli Leoncino 500 BS6 launched at Rs. 4.60 lakh-20210218123756_bs6_benelli_leoncino_500.jpg

The Leoncino 500 is powered by a 500cc, twin-cylinder engine that has been updated to comply with BS6 emission norms. The engine puts out 47 BHP @ 8,000 rpm and 46 Nm @ 6,000 rpm. It's paired with a 6-speed gearbox.

The Leoncino 500 BS6 looks identical to the BS4 version. It is equipped with upside down fork suspension at the front and has a monoshock at the rear. The brake setup consists of twin 320 mm discs upfront and a 260 mm disc brake at the rear. It comes with dual-channel ABS.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 18th February 2021 at 16:13.
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 17:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Benelli Leoncino 500 BS6 launched at Rs. 4.60 lakh

I took a short 20 km test ride to get a feel of this bike and I was genuinely surprised by how good the motorcycle felt! The engine was a lot smoother than I expected. The bike was super flickable. And it made me ride a lot faster than what I would normally do.

I need to spend some more time with the Leoncino 500 to firm up some of my opinions but my first impression was that it is a lot of fun.

Benelli Leoncino 500 BS6 launched at Rs. 4.60 lakh-20220114_165003.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 18:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I need to spend some more time with the Leoncino 500 to firm up some of my opinions but my first impression was that it is a lot of fun
I will be awaiting to hear for the most awaited answer for I expect many members to ask this question - Difference/Similarities between RE twins & Benelli Leoncino 500
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 22:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I will be awaiting to hear for the most awaited answer for I expect many members to ask this question - Difference/Similarities between RE twins & Benelli Leoncino 500
aargee, that is a very good question and I need to spend some more time with the Leoncino to be able to give a clear and nuanced response.

Right now, the Royal Enfield twins feel like watching Daniel Craig in the James Bond franchise whereas the Leoncino feels like watching Matt Damon in the Bourne franchise. The former feels a bit more dignified and polished whereas the latter is more gritty and frenetic.

Is one of these bikes clearly better than the other? Or are they both strong but different flavours of a successful recipe? It will be interesting to find out.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 15th January 2022 at 22:04.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 00:04   #5
BHPian

I'd been closely following this bike since it's announcement days. Seems a pretty decent kit both in terms of build and design. Fairly priced and like most Benellis they sing very well too. One thing that seems to stand in their way to success seems to be the 'existence' of the RE twins.

I did pop in at the Cochin dealership where they had a BS4 version but couldn't manage to get a test ride for some reason.

Also can't figure why they haven't introduced the Trail version so far, we Indians value our ground clearance and suspension travel figures, don't we!
DesertLynx34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 13:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLynx34 View Post
I'd been closely following this bike since it's announcement days. Seems a pretty decent kit both in terms of build and design. Fairly priced and like most Benellis they sing very well too. One thing that seems to stand in their way to success seems to be the 'existence' of the RE twins.

I did pop in at the Cochin dealership where they had a BS4 version but couldn't manage to get a test ride for some reason.

Also can't figure why they haven't introduced the Trail version so far, we Indians value our ground clearance and suspension travel figures, don't we!
DesertLynx34, Im guessing you visited the old showroom which was next to the Kawasaki showroom. There is another Benelli showroom in Cochin now. I heard that this is a company run showroom, Im not too sure about that though. They have test ride bikes of the Leoncino 500, Imperiale, 502C etc. If you are keen on test riding one of these bikes, do reach out to them and they will arrange for it. No test ride bike of the TRK502 though. What I heard is that the bike is selling well right now, especially in North India and so production is being diverted to customer deliveries. Hopefully the local dealership can get a test bike in the near future.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 17:17   #7
BHPian

I love the Interceptor.. and would have readily ponied up its 3L and change. But. And this is a big one. I had to push a friend’s for almost 2-3 Kms due to a puncture.. and that was no fun. Naturally a dealbreaker for me.
Leoncino has been the next one on the list for me.
And the Trident.
How does this ride when compared to the Trident?
Shanmd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 20:10   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

In case anyone is interested, here is the price breakup of the Leoncino 500 in Kerala.

Ex showroom - Rs 5,15,901
Road Tax - Rs 1,08,799
Insurance - Rs 28,635
Essential Kit - Rs 4,998
RSA ( 2years ) - Rs 4,998
Extended Warranty - 2,999

On road - Rs 6,66,330

The bike comes with standard 3 year warranty.
Old 18th January 2022, 20:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

So it's either this or you can get go with following options in bangalore

1. Interceptor/GT (3.6) + Xpulse (1.6) + Ola Scooter/Ather Energy (1.4)
2. Interceptor/GT (3.6) + Himalayan (2.8)
3. CB 350 RS + Interceptor/GT
4. Yamaha Aerox + Xpulse + GT

Oh in above permutation and combination you can throw in the newly launched Yezdi Scrambler as well

Bottom line just too expensive for what it brings to table for that price, it's not an aspirational brand at all generally and makes it even worse with the Chinese roots.

Last edited by AtheK : 18th January 2022 at 20:22.
AtheK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 07:22   #10
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
So it's either this or you can get go with following options in bangalore

1. Interceptor/GT (3.6) + Xpulse (1.6) + Ola Scooter/Ather Energy (1.4)
2. Interceptor/GT (3.6) + Himalayan (2.8)
3. CB 350 RS + Interceptor/GT
4. Yamaha Aerox + Xpulse + GT

Oh in above permutation and combination you can throw in the newly launched Yezdi Scrambler as well

Bottom line just too expensive for what it brings to table for that price, it's not an aspirational brand at all generally and makes it even worse with the Chinese roots.
Hello ,
The 4th combination is great without the Xpulse IMHO .
Just to differ a little ,lets not attach nationality to the product and see the merits in isolation . The Iphone is all Chinese but still a great product. Also as an Israeli I am fully satisfied with the GT 650 regardless what perception Israeli's would have about Indian products . My GT is shipping with me for sure.
Thanks -
naj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 13:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hello ,
The 4th combination is great without the Xpulse IMHO .
Just to differ a little ,lets not attach nationality to the product and see the merits in isolation . The Iphone is all Chinese but still a great product. Also as an Israeli I am fully satisfied with the GT 650 regardless what perception Israeli's would have about Indian products . My GT is shipping with me for sure.
Thanks -
It's nothing against the quality of product or build but the current situation that china and India share and the general sentiment that the public shares. That in current market is a strong deterrent also though iPhone is manufactured in China, the company has it's root in America and is not a Chinese company.

Just look at MG how they are trying there best to portray themselves as Brit when everyone know it is a China owned company and hence they have to struggle a bit more.

Last edited by AtheK : 19th January 2022 at 13:25.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 04:06   #12
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
It's nothing against the quality of product or build but the current situation that china and India share and the general sentiment that the public shares. That in current market is a strong deterrent also though iPhone is manufactured in China, the company has it's root in America and is not a Chinese company.

Just look at MG how they are trying there best to portray themselves as Brit when everyone know it is a China owned company and hence they have to struggle a bit more.
Hello,
I donot know how to respond but above may be right in a way as far as geo political concerns go.
We have been dealing with Chinese home grown companies for last 10 years or so and on multimillion dollar super complicated projects concerning stringent international regulations + compliance and they have more than delivered on all counts ,so much so we have gotten them to even sign on legal jurisdictions in UK as well as in HK which still has ok legal system incase of claims and non-deliverables . We are also weary of Chinese equally .But we have had good relations and happy customer experience so far . The Chinese are also beautiful people as any one across the world .
And these are much more technologically advanced systems than a motorcycle per say.
Sorry but have to give credit where it deserves without prejudice.
PS - I lost my wallet in ShanhaiGuan province with $1000 usd 5 open credit cards and US drivers license . Reported to police and next day the commissioner called me and gave me the wallet . Can this happen any where in the world. I really doubt .
Thx - Naj

Last edited by naj : 21st January 2022 at 04:29.
naj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 20:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The silly pricing, and the absolute VFM positioning of the Royal Enfield 650 twins, are the two major issues that the Leoncino has to deal with in India. I do agree that like the MG brand, the Benelli brand has some negativity associated with it due to its ownership. Quite a few enthusiasts are willing to overlook that, however, the not too recent problems associated with the brand's partnership in India, the lack of spares for the older Benelli bikes etc, are difficult to ignore. That said, Benelli does seem to be putting in some effort to change.

But looking at the product and riding the bike, there was nothing that hinted at its origins, one way or the other. It is just a really good bike.

After my test ride, I was going through some forum reviews and Youtube videos from abroad, and the feedback on the little Leoncino was quite positive.
Old 26th January 2022, 13:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hello,
I donot know how to respond but above may be right in a way as far as geo political concerns go.
We have been dealing with Chinese home grown companies for last 10 years or so and on multimillion dollar super complicated projects concerning stringent international regulations + compliance and they have more than delivered on all counts ,so much so we have gotten them to even sign on legal jurisdictions in UK as well as in HK which still has ok legal system incase of claims and non-deliverables . We are also weary of Chinese equally .But we have had good relations and happy customer experience so far . The Chinese are also beautiful people as any one across the world .
And these are much more technologically advanced systems than a motorcycle per say.
Sorry but have to give credit where it deserves without prejudice.
PS - I lost my wallet in ShanhaiGuan province with $1000 usd 5 open credit cards and US drivers license . Reported to police and next day the commissioner called me and gave me the wallet . Can this happen any where in the world. I really doubt .
Thx - Naj
You are conflating two different topics here. It's not about being prejudiced against Chinese products. It's about an individual's willingness to do business with a country that is actively hostile to it and is in fact, as we speak, engaged in hostile action on multiple front against our country. Government has to work within the boundaries of our WTO commitments but individuals are at greater liberty to put their money where their beliefs are.

I am sure a not too small number of Israelis won't be super keen to buy a product, even if it offers great value for money, if it's manufactured by the Hamas.

Not everyone, in fact a large number, won't probably factor that into their motorcycle purchase decision but a non-insignificant number might.
I believe that's what ATHEK was referring to, or at least that's what my interpretation is of his post.
KayEss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 01:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
DesertLynx34, Im guessing you visited the old showroom which was next to the Kawasaki showroom. There is another Benelli showroom in Cochin now.
Wow, didn't know that. I don't visit Ekm that often these days. But yes, maybe next time around.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks