Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2021, 15:00   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mark 13 | My Pre-Worshipped Ducati Panigale 959 | EDIT: Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post

As a fellow Ducatista, congratulations for owning a Ducati. Now you will get to experience the joys and occasional pain of an Italian L twin ownership.

For those who ask me"kitna deti hain" I tell them its an electric bike. Best to confuse people than keep hearing the same old questions.

Thanks a lot, and you have a beautiful garage. I read about the hyper in one of the thread and I hope that hyper is back in action.

Quote:
1. Heat - Every Ducati runs hot. You can add engine ice and exhaust heat guards, but the exhaust design of the Panigale is the culprit. The exhaust loop that sits under the seat and has a cover is going to boil you during summer. It makes a nice heater for the winter though!! You cannot run the 959 in the city in stop and go traffic.
--- True, and I hope the comfort seat helps a bit, every forum I have read says it makes a massive difference. The last part to get home after a ride is definitely painful as pointed again by you.

Quote:
2. Shotgun exhaust - This was to comply with emissions rules in India. The 959 sold in Japan have the same shotgun exhaust. I like the look of the shot gun exhaust but this is individual taste.
--- Definitely, and I don't think it was just India, it was launched with Shotgun exhaust across the board in 2016, they shifted to underbelly exhaust in 2018. Not just the way it looks plus the extra weight it adds is also a point to be considered. SC runs almost 4 kgs lighter if I am not wrong.

Quote:
3. Desmo service / service costs - Ducatis are slightly more expensive to maintain than the Japanese ones but not that much. First, Desmo service costs 50k INR. My Delhi dealer charges that, and my FNG mechanic, who is ex-Ducati service tech charges around 30-40k INR. 75k is a rip off by the Bangalore dealer. No desmo dervice costs 75k. Normal oil and filter change for Ducatis cost around 10k INR. I do most of the work myself and keep the major ones for my mechanic.

Other than fluids, the biggest cost are the brake pads - ask your brother in Switzerland to order more brake pads. The ones here in India cost about 5000 rupees.
--- Yes I do plan to get all fluids changed shortly, I was planning to get it done sometime in mid april, but with current condition I will wait for things to stabilize. I shall order few brake pads and keep them handy, probably also source the front disc as well

Quote:
4. Parts availability - contrary to what everyone says, parts are easily available for Ducati. The 899 / 959 / 1199 / 1299 and even the V4 share a lot of similar parts and you can get them easily in India. Most Ducati dealers carry the parts you need.

Please do not use the parts from Ali-express. They are cheap but they are absolute rubbish. I order from www.desmoheart.com if I want the exotic bits. Ducati has a bigger presence in Thailand, and I often find parts online for sale in Thailand. Alternative is to look up on Carousell app and order parts from Singapore. If you have friends / family visiting Singapore or Bangkok (after Covid is gone), ask them to pick for you.

I cannot determine from your picture - but do you have a tank guard / protector installed? If not, I will recommend. Your leather jacket will rub against the tank and the paint gets scratched easily.
--- True about the quality of parts being sub par on Ali-Express. It is a stop gap arrangement, I do plan to replace them with R&G stuff once things get better. I have gone with bare minimum for now. I will check those sites and thanks for the heads-up, appreciate it. I do have a tank guard installed, it is a bit faded and a new one has been ordered and delivered. I shall post pictures of it once installed.

Quote:
5. Autoblipper - I would not advise you to install the autoblipper. Ducati electronics are finicky. The DQS program, although good, will act up, when you add in after market parts and causes issues with the clutch and gearing. This is a known gremlin for Ducatis. Give your wallet a rest and enjoy the quick shifter.
--- True, no plans to get it for now and in future

Quote:
Again, awesome to see your 959. I was thinking about getting a 959 after I got my 1199, but now I changed my mind and I am shopping for a 1299s or a V4s.

If anyone wants to sell their 1299s, I am interested.
--- Best of luck for your search, the V4 runs very very hot though, some tidbits I got from the previous owner after everything was done and settled. The major reason he decided to sell the V4 was heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Congratulations on the Mark 13, Mr. Stark!
Jokes aside, congratulations on your new steed. Ducatis are the most sizzling(literally as well) machines I've ever seen. Some of them look odd but your bike stands out in the lot. I had the opportunity to get a close look at one and boy oh boy did it not bring those biking dreams alive!

Wishing you 2L Kilometres of cool rides!
Thanks Sreesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
AtheK, congratulations on your Ducati Panigale 959! It is a fantastic machine and you have done it full justice with this memorable ownership thread. I loved going through the details of your previous bikes and what led you to this.

You have covered all the topics that any person interested in the motorcycle can ask. Well, except mileage

Quote:
You have covered all the topics that any person interested in the motorcycle can ask. Well, except mileage
--- He he, well since it comes from you it has to be answered, I have noticed around 12 - 13 kmpl if pushed hard and around 18-19 kmpl when ridden in a sane manner.

Quote:
Im just sharing a few thoughts
- Like you said, the heat is tremendous. Get the current coolant flushed and go for Engine Ice only. It is a lot better than the Motul Motocool. I tried both on my Street Triple 675. The Engine Ice may not eliminate the heat problem but it will keep the bike cooler and for longer. If it is difficult for your FNGs to source it (availability can be scarce at times), just buy it yourself from Amazon.
--- I have already sourced two bottles of engine ice as the plan was to go ahead with Fluid changes in mid april, but on hold till the pandemic is under control.

Quote:
- The Desmo service price sounds allright. I did my research on this and found that it was anywhere between Rs 50K and Rs 80K. Depending on the time taken really. Ive watched a few YT videos on how to do it at home. Its really painful and time consuming. If possible, sit with VST or the FNG while this is getting done. I do not trust our mechanics to go through every single step in a painstaking manner.
--- The 75K figure came from one of the guy who got it done on his bike, what I have heard is that it is relatively cheaper in VST Chennai, so I might just ride all the way to Chennai and get it done when the time arrives.

Quote:
- I actually dont mind the Ducati dash. Once your mind gets used to seeing what number is where, you dont feel the clutter on the go. At least the speeds and tacho are easily visible on the move.
--- Ya more of a nitpick, then an actual dislike.

Quote:
- I love that shotgun exhaust. It adds so much character to the motorcycle.

- Can you share some pictures of the bike with the aftermaret LED headlights?
--- Sure I would do that over the weekend.

Quote:
- Those bar end mirrors look to be quite small and your visibility might be compromised. Hopefully it performs better than I expect it to.
--- I personally don't have much hope on them, it's just that I really like the mirror blocks with the indicators and these are the only current option I had. If they are not adequate I would shift back to Stock.

Quote:
- On the suspension, you dont need to go to any FNG. You seem to be a DIY guy and so does your friend. Just experiment with the settings yourself. Go by the manual and try out each of the recommended settings. Ride on the same roads so you can compare them back to back. Keep experimenting until you reach the perfect setting for your riding style and type of roads.
--- Sure, I would do this, it's just the current situation that is hampering the free movement.

Quote:
- Im assuming the bike must be at least 5 years old. Change the fork oil. Go with the OEM grade oil for now. Just that will make the bike handle so much better. I did it on my bike and there was such a big difference!
--- It is indeed around 4.5 years old, the plan definitely is to change every single fluid on the bike as soon as I can.

Quote:
- Im sure that you will love track days on this motorcycle. I have met a guy from Bangalore who is a track regular on his 959. He told me that enjoys it so much more on the track than he does on highways. Considering your track plans, that is all the more reason to replace the fork oil on your bike now.
--- Personally looking forward to the same, have been hearing rumours of a track coming up near Bangalore, that will be such a welcome.

Quote:
Keep the great photos coming. Im sharing a couple of suspension videos from Dave Moss to help you with your suspension experiments.
Thanks a ton Neil for your kind words, I will definitely look into the videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Mighty congratulations AtheK. Now that's a proper upgrade from humble N650.
I was waiting for your ownership thread and boy am I glad that you took your time for this. Thanks for sharing drool worthy pics. Your Mark 13 looks smashing.
Thanks a ton Nitin, the BMW looks smashing too, congrats to you as well and lets ride together sometime once things settle down. My response inline to your quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
I was stoked when you sent these pictures to me over WhatsApp.

Congratulations on the Mark 13 sir, a very interesting name and I like it. Wishing you many many more miles on the bike, please do keep me posted if you plan to sell this off after the same mileage on your previous two bikes.
Thanks buddy. You shall be posted of all updates as and how they happen

Quote:
. If someone knows about these charges and has kept aside the required finances for it, then its all good. The problem comes up when people are not really aware of the Desmo service costs (even if we assume Rs 50K), when they purchase a Ducati, either new or preowned.

On a personal note, I had taken multiple test rides of the 959. I absolutely loved it. The Cochin dealer gave me a good price that was below the actual on road price. My wife and I went to the dealership, to book the motorcycle. When we pulled out the cheque book, the sales head flippantly mentioned that there was no deal and we would have the pay the full on road price Ducati lost a 959 customer that day.
Luckily I was aware of this cost, and have factored it in as a total cost of ownership. Sorry to hear about your experience with Ducati, they did lose out on a very good customer. We ourselves would have benefitted by your ownership experience and would have got some good tips and tricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Congrats Athek on what is a downright gorgeous piece of art! Wishing you many KMs on and off the track on this beauty.
Thank you dear sir and also to keep pushing me to complete this writeup, also my apologies for the Multi part of the writeup

Last edited by Sheel : 30th April 2021 at 12:44. Reason: Please *QUOTE* and reply to messages. Thanks.
AtheK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 15:03   #17
BHPian

Congrats Athek on what is a downright gorgeous piece of art! Wishing you many KMs on and off the track on this beauty.
deepfreak15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 15:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations AtheK on getting Mark 13 home and fulfilling your dream of owning a Ducati.

Just like you I had the Ninja 650 (older model than yours) and had it with me just for 18 months as it didn't excite me much either. I got it because I just couldn't hold myself back from buying a big bike any longer and in the process ended up with the wrong bike. That was a lesson well learnt and I really took my time thinking and going through options before making the next right purchase.

When I was shopping around I had visited the Ducati showroom in Mumbai, which was in Bandra then and wanted to test ride the Panigale 959. Although I had no intentions of getting one I just wanted to get a feel of it to go through the options available. As luck would have it I had to take a prior appointment for a test ride and the sales girl just allowed me to sit on the demo bike and start it up. I knew the seating/riding position was extreme and was not comfortable with my posture and even the Mrs was not very happy with the pillion seat height.

To own a Ducati in India you really need to be passionate about the brand and be mentally prepared for the challenges you're going to face during your ownership. As you have already experienced the biggest is the heat management as these bikes are more suited to the European weather including some liter Japanese monsters. Last year I was stuck in a 3.5 hr bumper to bumper traffic jam on my Busa while I was returning from a Sunday ride and I can just imagine the pain my friend went through who was on his Multistrada, who had to take three 30 min breaks each for him and his bike to cooldown.

Hence, its not everyone's cup of tea to live with one but the smile you have when you ride one makes up for it and I wish you many more happy miles with yours.
SnS_12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 16:37   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
To own a Ducati in India you really need to be passionate about the brand and be mentally prepared for the challenges you're going to face during your ownership. As you have already experienced the biggest is the heat management as these bikes are more suited to the European weather including some liter Japanese monsters. Last year I was stuck in a 3.5 hr bumper to bumper traffic jam on my Busa while I was returning from a Sunday ride and I can just imagine the pain my friend went through who was on his Multistrada, who had to take three 30 min breaks each for him and his bike to cooldown.
Thanks a lot, a close friend owns a Supersport S and I have seen the struggle first hand, just not the heat, but overall dealer attitude as well. The fact that if everything runs smooth, you just have to meet the service center guy once a year, this gives you some respite. If things do go northwards, will have to react as and how, but yes have to be already mentally prepared. The same reflects in your interaction with them when you wanted to buy a bike, and I have heard similar stories from quite a bit of perspective customers. It seems the test ride bike is always out for some event.

Ninja 650 is a bike which I would put as jack of all trades but master of none. It's still a very good bike but just falls short of being that bike which you would want in your garage all the time.

I can relate on the Heat part, these days the traffic is comparatively less, I shudder to think the day I would be stuck in chock a block traffic, I have ridden the Multistrada and it has all the similar traits of heat dissipation that Panigale has, I can understand his plight.

But then as you said you gain some you lose some, all this is a part of ownership experience and hopefully things are less troublesome in future.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th April 2021 at 13:26. Reason: Trimmed quoted post. Thanks.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 01:43   #20
BHPian

Congrats on the new acquisition! Years ago I got a chance to try a Panigale 959 and when I finished the short ride I was grinning from ear to ear like an idiot but at the same time my hands were shaking from the gut wrenching acceleration the bike had. Its a bike that will really move you no two ways about it. My current Z650's power delivery is so linear that even though I moved up from a 150cc bike the power delivery never really scared me.

I think once you sort out the heat a bit the bike will be a keeper for you for many years to come as I doubt anyone will ever outgrow a 157 bhp bike on Indian roads.
bf1983 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 10:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
The Road To Happiness
Congrats AtheK. The bike just looks amazing! And I am sure it won't be just you who will be staring at the bike n pure wonder when seeing it parked.

Quote:
3. The Mighty V4

What?
Why?
Isn't that a track focused machine?
Are you out of your mind?

Those are the probable questions that would strike you in the flow of this writeup, well when you get desperate you suddenly realize that the heart and head balance goes for a toss, your heart starts to take over your mind......... It was a stretch but then heart kept telling you that it is worth it and the saying of YOLO overshadowing your brain thinking capabilities.
Found myself smiling when I read this. I am all too familiar with this exact emotion when I was thinking about my first bike purchase. That specific phase is very weird to navigate through, always makes you second guess every decision taken regarding the purchase plan until that point.

Quote:
Since this is a discontinued model, and this thread probably will not help many with there buying decision, I would rather pen down my views of Living with a Ducati.

Living with a Ducati Panigale

It's Tough!!!!
Thank You for speaking about this. I feel this post must be a must for every big bike purchase post. Every bike comes with its set of niggles and we should be comfortable enough to talk about it. Who knows, it might help a lot of people in making up their minds.

Quote:
1. Heat

The biggest dislike about the bike is the heat it produces, this bike can run hot like real real hot (Both in looks and in Literal sense). Now lot of people out there(read Ducati die hard fans) will say it's the character of the bike, well who am I to disagree, but what I can say is that this character can make riding the bike a pain sometimes. Not that I was not aware of the heat issues, having already ridden a couple of them before, but having a small ride just to understand the character of a bike and then living with it long term are two different side of the coins.
Ah, just Ducati things. I am sure glad when I think about what you Ducati boys go through when it comes to heat.

Quote:
6. Dated Speedometer with major miss being no fuel Gauge on the Speedometer.

The speedometer is just OK, for a bike that costs upward of 15 big ones it is pretty mediocre. Navigating through choices can be a chore and information displayed is too cluttered.
I actually kinda like these displays. I think it's to do with that white backlight mainly but yeah.

Quote:
7. The stock shotgun exhausts looks mediocre.

The stock shotgun exhaust looks like an afterthought in such a beautifully designed Bike. The 899 came with underbelly exhaust and looked so clean, where in the shotgun exhaust just stands out as a sore thumb. This was finally fixed in 2018 model when they launched it with underbelly exhaust, but don't think many of them made it to India except the Corse edition.

Attachment 2150017

Probable Solution: Source the Underbelly 2018 exhaust and swap it with current exhaust. Will need to change lower fairings as well for this modification. This though is not on my priority list.
Yes yes. Please move the underbelly exhaust set up if it's possible. That shotgun-style looks very much like an afterthought. Almost like they just had a few cans lying around from the monster series and decided to use it for the Panigale. The exhaust just does not flow with the Panigale design language.

Quote:

I will be installing the bar end mirrors, but unfortunately I don't have the 12MM bit to open the stock bar end. This is a picture of how it will look once installed, lockdown has started and I will install it once we are ready to ride again. I hope it is capable enough to show me what is coming from behind then being totally useless. If it does not live up to that expectation I will switch back to stock mirrors.

Attachment 2150142

Do share your thoughts about how does this look, or do you think that Stock mirrors looked better.
If I was in your shoes I'd just go with the bar ends you have and forget that I ever have the stock mirrors with me. This just looks so much better than the stock, but then again you need to be sold on the visibility factor too.

Quote:
Another problem that I face is to plan where to park the bike when left unattended, unfortunately people do not even ask permission to click photos and I am always concerned that they will end up snapping the mirror. Worst being that they might just drop the bike, have had instances in which I have seen people making there small kids sit on bike and then stepping away to take photos, if the kid moves wrong way he might end up dropping the bike on himself. This is a pain that is felt I guess with majority of superbike owners in India.
So true I have had this happen at one of my morning rides, I parked to get a coffee, I had a complete line of sight with the bike. A tempo traveler full of some families going to some event stopped. Naturally, kids and adults equally were taken aback at the bike and one of the kid wanted to climb on the bike and the parent without even a seconds hesitation put him on top of the bike, poor fellow but himself a bit by touching the frame of the bike and while dismounting he got off the opposite way and ended up moving back and snapped off the indicator from its place. And I was watching this whole thing happen right while sipping coffee.
I decided not to make a fuss about it because the indicators on the R1 are the same as the one on the R15 and cost Rs.150 or so to replace so I just went along with my day, albeit with a hanging/dangling front indicator.

Quote:
Mods planned and future plans.

Already Ordered and delivered to my brother in Switzerland)

1. Fork Protector.

11. Frame Plug Caps

Ordered but in Transit

1. Frame Sliders
2. Clear Clutch Cover, in action below.

Under Consideration

1. Underbody Exhaust.
2. Track Suit.

That's an extensive mod list, love that you are taking the time, money, and effort into making the bike your own. And do try to keep the thread up to date. Nothing more awesome that reading update posts on threads like these

Quote:
The Sun will Shine on us again, till then be strong be safe and stay at home.
At times like these, we need to see more of these words. Hope that day comes soon.

Once again, congrats AtheK. Hope you have a wonderful time with this best and maybe someday we can ride together once I am back in Bangalore.

Cheers
Krishna

Last edited by Sheel : 30th April 2021 at 13:25. Reason: Trimmed quoted post. Thanks.
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 10:37   #22
BHPian

Absolutely smashing ownership review! The most enjoyable one, yet! I have to say that your writing style kept me hooked till the end.
Seeing the photographs reminded me of my childhood days of drooling over superbikes! Although, I'm a car nut now, your thread rekindled something.
Wish you all the very best, and a happy ownership experience! Munch on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
I think once you sort out the heat a bit the bike will be a keeper for you for many years to come as I doubt anyone will ever outgrow a 157 bhp bike on Indian roads.
True.

Last edited by Harjot37 : 30th April 2021 at 10:41. Reason: Quoting a post
Harjot37 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 12:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
I decided not to make a fuss about it because the indicators on the R1 are the same as the one on the R15 and cost Rs.150 or so to replace so I just went along with my day, albeit with a hanging/dangling front indicator.
Krishna, AtheK.

How do you guys handle this situation generally. If I go somewhere, I usually tip the parking attendant or valet a bit extra and ask him to watch over the bike.

I do not mind if people, and especially kids want to sit on the bike, touch it, or take pictures, while I am around. We all had similar dreams to own such bikes when we were kids.

But what makes me a bit mad are those who just go up and sit on the bike or lean against it, as if it belongs to them. Asking the owner is just good etiquette and I feel that is often lacking.

And then there are the insta influencers who will start a vlog without any permission whatsover.
no_fear is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 12:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Krishna, AtheK.

How do you guys handle this situation generally. If I go somewhere, I usually tip the parking attendant or valet a bit extra and ask him to watch over the bike.

I do not mind if people, and especially kids want to sit on the bike, touch it, or take pictures, while I am around. We all had similar dreams to own such bikes when we were kids.

But what makes me a bit mad are those who just go up and sit on the bike or lean against it, as if it belongs to them. Asking the owner is just good etiquette and I feel that is often lacking.

And then there are the insta influencers who will start a vlog without any permission whatsover.
Am on the same page with you. Damage to my bike done by someone else’s recklessness is something I just can’t live with.

Plus these guys don’t understand the dangers they are putting their young ones in by making them sit on big bikes for a photo without close adult supervision. Firstly, these bikes are not on on a main stand (minus the adventure bikes) making these 200 kg plus monsters highly unstable if the weight is suddenly shifted in the opposite direction. The kid will not be able to do anything to arrest his fall leading to serious injuries.

The other danger is of getting serious burns if they sit on one which has just been parked after a long ride and the kid ends up touching the wrong place.

Adults need to develop more sense and respect others property. I don’t see them doing such things in an open car or entering someone’s house without permission to take a picture. So what gives them the right to do the same by sitting on someone else’s motorcycle. If its a kid can still be understood as we would have done the same when we were young.
SnS_12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 12:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Am on the same page with you. Damage to my bike done by someone else’s recklessness is something I just can’t live with.
Sns, I am sure the Busa gets a lot of attention, especially as its the Dhoom bike. One of my friend's Busa got scratched in traffic, when a rider on a Splendor tried to race him and then ended up losing control and hitting the Busa. Sheer idiocy!!!

I feel Busa riders have it harder than others. Simply because its the Dhoom bike, every Activa and Splendor rider wants to race against a Busa to inflate ego.

Another time a group of us were out - all of us on Kawasaki + Busas. 2 riders, one on a Dominar and the other on a Pulsar tried to race us / show off. Popped wheelies on a freaking flyover, lost control and fell under a truck. Both died.

Last edited by no_fear : 30th April 2021 at 12:58.
no_fear is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 13:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Plus these guys don’t understand the dangers they are putting their young ones in by making them sit on big bikes for a photo without close adult supervision.
This is particularly true for bikes with exposed exhausts that run very hot (like a Harley) and are close to the leg.

When I ride in a group, there's always someone in the group that hangs around the bikes, at least for a few minutes after we park and when the public "appreciation" is at its peak, warning people about hot exhausts, etc. We've had made up stories of test machines, army machines etc., as well, all calculated to try and deflect attention up close.

When I ride solo, taking off the gear, and getting some "fresh air from ITC" for about 10 minutes seems to be one way of dulling the interest.

Other strategies include parking the bike within constant visual range, the extra "tip" , and parking out of sight in a safer and less accessible place.

However, chrome (in my experience) and size seems to attract people and one does needs to be careful.

Of course I'm lucky enough to ride in a group with Harleys that are bigger and have more visual appeal, or ADVs that seem monstrously large, so mine happily goes unnoticed (much to the chagrin of the owners of these more appealing machines).
Warlock is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 13:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sns, I am sure the Busa gets a lot of attention, especially as its the Dhoom bike.
That's 100% true. In a sea of superbikes everyone easily identifies a Busa and that too people of all age groups. Hence, I always end up looking at the bike than the food I am eating on the breakfast rides

Hence, I never take my bikes including my RX and RD to any place where it won't be in my line of sight. My dad especially says that I should carry a chain with the RX due to the fear of it getting robbed with the kind of attention it gathers especially when he rides it. I have taken the Busa only once to work and I carried my bike cover along with me and it was parked in my office building premises. Parking is a challenge in Nariman point, Mumbai where I work and especially motorcycles are always pushed to be parked out on the road.

Still, I have seen many ride their expensive bikes to work and park them in public parking space something I will never develop the courage to do ever. With a Ducati though, I would have even had my breakfast on the bike on a Sunday morning ride with friends.
SnS_12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 13:25   #28
BHPian

Congratulation on your new motorcycle. Great write up, its very palpable. Its one of the few ownership reviews that I really enjoyed reading and glued me to the screen. And a lot of insights on owning a brand like Ducati. Wishing you lots of happy miles and experiences.

Cheers
drift87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 13:37   #29
BHPian

Athek, congrats on the Ducati Panigale 959.

I have had the pleasure of riding one, albeit briefly inside the city and I must say, one really needs to be fit to manage the committed ergonomics. It looks so good in person!

The power is fairly bonkers and right up there in liter class territory.

You could consider investing in a tent system to put up next to the bike in the parking area. It'll make it much more convenient to admire the bike during this WFH situation.

Quote:
Still, I have seen many ride their expensive bikes to work and park them in public parking space something I will never develop the courage to do ever.
I have been guilty of this offence

Used to ride to work on the GSX S750 atleast a couple of days in the week, especially during winter/summer. Used to be a 35km one-way commute through some nice twisty back-roads to escape the shitty Pune traffic.

After having parked the bike in the office parking, the level of apprehension used to be so high that atleast 3-4 trips to the parking to "check on the bike" used to be the norm

Thankfully being a parking dedicated to office folks, didn't have to face damage/issues.

Last edited by GoBlue : 30th April 2021 at 13:40.
GoBlue is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 13:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Krishna, AtheK.
I don't usually do anything in particular. I try to avoid places where I don't have a direct view of the bike. Some places I just have no choice but to hope nothing bad happens.

Quote:
Very much true. I have had many instances where people are afraid to approach and ask for taking a pic with the bike. I have never denied anyone for that pleasure and in fact, I take pictures for them and ask them to hop on and get a feel of the bike if they are interested. I usually step a few steps away so that they can take it all in and almost every time they have been super respectful too.

The reason I do this is that as a kid and even when grown-up I was very shy and never had the nerve to ask if I could get to feel the bike or take a pic. Neither when I grew up. Even though I would have wanted to so I know what they are feeling.
Moreover, when aspirational bikes/cars become a reality after working hard for it we can understand what that feeling is like for someone who is still aspiring to own these beauties one day. Who knows that one good gesture might make it an achievable goal for at least one person.

I have had a few instances where they were more interested to know the Instagram id and they couldn't process that I don't upload my bike pics on Instagram. But that too are folks with no ill intention so they are more like funny run ins.

Quote:

These come from a sheer lack of value taught to them when growing up. I can't stand it but I try not to sound rude or avoid an altercation. Luckily haven't had to deal with that yet.
The sad part is this is not to do with expensive bikes, even normal bikes. I have had a few run-ins on people who were relaxing(stretching and keeping their feet on the tank) on my CBR, they have heard an earful for sure.

Quote:
Adults need to develop more sense and respect others property. I don’t see them doing such things in an open car or entering someone’s house without permission to take a picture. So what gives them the right to do the same by sitting on someone else’s motorcycle. If its a kid can still be understood as we would have done the same when we were young.
What they have not learned/taught when they are kids they are not gonna learn now. They have bigger problems than to worry/respect other people's property, sadly for most people that's how they act.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks