Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2022, 15:12   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Now this is interesting fodder for bike enthusiasts to discuss at chai meets during rides.

The STOCK Gen 3 Hayabusa makes similar power at the wheel as a STOCK Gen 2.

Suzuki has underquoted claimed power figures (at the crank) for the Gen 3 and overstated the difference in power figures. (why, is an unknown. so far.)
This reminds me of the Suzuki GSX-S1000F which definitely had power figures that were underquoted. One line of thinking was that Suzuki did so to help reduce the actual long term ownership costs that come from lower insurance rates. I wonder if it could be the same with the new generation Hayabusa, as well.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 22:34   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Picked up this bad boy recently. Rides like a dream. Amazing handling and doesn't feel one bit like it's 260 kilos. Redlined the 2nd gear, pushed it into some corners, and completed 1000kms with the first service done at home. 3rd Suzuki in my garage and the best one so far.
Congratulations for the Suzuki GSX 1300R!
Should technically be renamed to 1350R, trust Suzuki to underquote everything.

Must be some lovely twisty roads on which you would be able to experience the different characters crammed into one bike.

While "redlining in 2nd" seems like an innocuous exercise for any motorcycle, folks who own a Busa or have ridden one would know how thrilling (or terrifying, depending on one's point of view) that feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
In reality, the initial disappointment when the Gen 3 came out was not that it made a few less ponies than the bike it replaced but the fact that even after close to 13 years that Suzuki took to replace the Gen 2, the Gen 3 was not winning any BHP wars in general and did not even supress the power output of the bike it replaced specifically.

Ofcourse, now everyone knows how good the engine updates are on the new bike and Suzuki did an excellent job of retaining the Hayabusa engine character while confirming to stringent emission norms.

However after 13 years, I would have liked to see a 200 plus bhp Hayabusa from the factory floor. Those bragging rights though are long gone. The new liter class breed are the kings of the road. They are insansely fast, very slick and with razor sharp handling. Going super fast has never been this easy.
I miss the time when a 200 plus pound of me on a 600 pound bike could out gun a zx or a gsxr1000 in 5th with a gear to spare while they were redlining their pants ducking in to gain some more velocity.
When I was considering the 'Busa, there was no other litre class supersport even in the shortlist. The list contained only one item.

I don't find litre-class supersports attractive enough from a purchase/ownership standpoint, because their primary design intent is to do well on a racetrack, which is not where I (like to) ride motorcycles.

Where the 'Busa differs from other litre supersports is that it's primary design intent is to be a great road bike. And the inherent advantages which that offers are evident when riding it on the street.

And thus the numbers are immaterial. Power figures, kerb weight, 0-60 mph, quarter mile runs, top speeds, lean angles - today's litre class supersport motorcycles outperform the 'Busa to an extent that comparisons are pointless.

However, whatever power the Busa makes and whatever performance envelope it has to offer is mindbogglingly immense for me. It is difficult to enjoy even 10% of that envelope out on the highways (without the thought of an early demise occurring on a regular basis, that is).

And therefore I personally don't wish for more power on the Busa.

What I wish for is that Suzuki whip up an upright sport tourer (like an S1000 XR) with this 1340 powertrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
This reminds me of the Suzuki GSX-S1000F which definitely had power figures that were underquoted. One line of thinking was that Suzuki did so to help reduce the actual long term ownership costs that come from lower insurance rates. I wonder if it could be the same with the new generation Hayabusa, as well.
Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Ending post with a pic of the motorcycle under discussion. Had gotten a PPF wrap done a while back.

2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh-dsc_0396.jpg

Last edited by GoBlue : 7th August 2022 at 22:40.
GoBlue is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 23:58   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I was considering the 'Busa, there was no other litre class supersport even in the shortlist. The list contained only one item.

I don't find litre-class supersports attractive enough from a purchase/ownership standpoint, because their primary design intent is to do well on a racetrack, which is not where I (like to) ride motorcycles.

Where the 'Busa differs from other litre supersports is that it's primary design intent is to be a great road bike. And the inherent advantages which that offers are evident when riding it on the street.

And thus the numbers are immaterial. Power figures, kerb weight, 0-60 mph, quarter mile runs, top speeds, lean angles - today's litre class supersport motorcycles outperform the 'Busa to an extent that comparisons are pointless.

However, whatever power the Busa makes and whatever performance envelope it has to offer is mindbogglingly immense for me. It is difficult to enjoy even 10% of that envelope out on the highways (without the thought of an early demise occurring on a regular basis, that is).

Attachment 2343039
Honestly, the busa gained cult status because of its numbers. There is no comparison between the open class and the liter class and a rider cannot possible swap one ride for another.
If someone needed an open class ultra fast trans state mile muncher with space to move around and hang luggage , the busa and the zzr1400 were the only two options. Also, the fact that the Suzuki engineers had the option to use a 1299 and not restrict themselves to a 998 cc helped produce numbers which gave the largest bragging rights.
However, in the last few years , 1000 cc bikes are capable of churning out numbers previously unheard off. And that's where you feel that those 350 extra cc's that the BUsa has could do some more. The blokes at Suzuki could easily make a 200 plus hp Hayabusa. I would like that. But it's not going to happen. The focus has changed for the Hayabusa.

I still love my Hayabusa and will probably hold on to it for a very long time. It's already been close to 12 years on this for me. I have done almost everything one can do to a Hayabusa interms of performace upgrades barring a stage 1 turbo kit. Is it the fastes bike on the street , ofcourse not. Will I try to out run a new 1000 cc bike these days, nope.

But it is still one of the only few bikes that give me immense joy while riding. Its old school, devoid of any electronic aids and the amount of twist you give your wrist is directly propotionate to your testicular fortitude.
bigron is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 00:45   #154
BHPian

Quote:
But it is still one of the only few bikes that give me immense joy while riding. Its old school, devoid of any electronic aids and the amount of twist you give your wrist is directly propotionate to your testicular fortitude.
It’s a special machine. To be cherished forever.

While the “dil maange more” feeling that you’re referring to is quite understandable, the fact is - it STILL is a unique (and extremely desirable) experience on two wheels.

I’ve also planned for it to be a keeper. Every ride creates sensational experiences. Craving to ride it again after this bout of rain gets over.

In the meantime, I take off the covers to look at this beautiful sight and fire the engine from time to time. Just to hear it thrum.

PS: filling Shell VPower. While I detest Shell and everything it stands for as they sell ridiculously priced fuel, these inline-4s run smoother on it for some reason.

Do share some pics of your Busa.

2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh-1aa062d793f14ed5a682c733ba972adf.jpeg

Last edited by GoBlue : 10th August 2022 at 00:49.
GoBlue is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 10:07   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

PS: filling Shell VPower. While I detest Shell and everything it stands for as they sell ridiculously priced fuel, these inline-4s run smoother on it for some reason.

Attachment 2344257
That cockpit view is truly phenomenal. A perfect amalgamation of retro dials and screen.
I like the new busa. It has almost everything a Gen 2 rider wanted/desired. Well almost.
I would probably look at getting a Gen 3 down the line. Though after every ride my body keeps reminding me to get an adventure tourer
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh-screenshot_20220809233636_duckduckgo.jpg  

bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:24   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In the meantime, I take off the covers to look at this beautiful sight and fire the engine from time to time. Just to hear it thrum.
Quote:
I would probably look at getting a Gen 3 down the line. Though after every ride my body keeps reminding me to get an adventure tourer
Ah GoBlue and bigron, exquisite beauties both! Somehow I prefer the looks/profile of the third generation over the older bike but both have a super sexy aura about them.

So cribbing mode on . Inspite of my best efforts to ride the third generation bike, no chance yet Really hope to ride one someday, when, guess only the good Lord knows.

Meanwhile please keep posting updates on your journey with these big sexy beauties.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:51   #157
BHPian

Completed 2500 kms in a few days and it seems that the second service at 6000 km is also not too far away. Done bit more of cornering and it seems a track day is not too far away in the future!
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh-pxl_20220820_222021186.jpg  

iron.head is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 20:29   #158

Quote:

While the “dil maange more” feeling that you’re referring to is quite understandable, the fact is - it STILL is a unique (and extremely desirable) experience on two wheels.

I’ve also planned for it to be a keeper. Every ride creates sensational experiences. Craving to ride it again after this bout of rain gets over.

Attachment 2344257

Interesting thing about the shell vpower as its not even higher octane fuel. Have you tried any other high octane fuel ? I have heard things about shell vpower containing too much additives and clogging up filters from few ducati and bmw owners so i just stayed away from it on my motorcycles, personally I’m filling up my busa gen 3 ^^ with speed 97 and xp 95 and sometimes with xp100 @@. Maybe maybe its time i tried shell v power ?!
Arvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 12:41   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvi View Post
Interesting thing about the shell vpower as its not even higher octane fuel. Have you tried any other high octane fuel ? I have heard things about shell vpower containing too much additives and clogging up filters from few ducati and bmw owners so i just stayed away from it on my motorcycles, personally I’m filling up my busa gen 3 ^^ with speed 97 and xp 95 and sometimes with xp100 @@. Maybe maybe its time i tried shell v power ?!
Wow 95 and 97! The best we have commonly available here (almost every few kms) is Chevron's 94 that has 0% ethanol. Next is their 91 that can have upto 10% ethanol and most of the motorcyclists fill the 94 including myself.
iron.head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:59   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow 95 and 97! The best we have commonly available here (almost every few kms) is Chevron's 94 that has 0% ethanol. Next is their 91 that can have upto 10% ethanol and most of the motorcyclists fill the 94 including myself.
Canada displays the AKI octane rating and India uses RON. 94 AKI (Canada) is roughly 98 RON (India)
khanak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 12:54   #161
BHPian

A picture on completing 5000 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh-pxl_20220906_041212666.jpg  

iron.head is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 02:43   #162

Quote:
A picture on completing 5000 kms.
A little late but joining you on the occasion of me completing 5k kms a few days earlier
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh-70f7435018944679b4068dc2ebae74a0.jpeg  

Arvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 13:39   #163
BHPian

I have a question about the Busa that's been on my mind since a while.

Since I am for real considering getting the Busa down the line, my idea is that I do not want it to be a garage queen and actually use the machine as my daily driver: work commutes, meetings, streets etc.

Do you think that can be managed with the Busa, or is it too much of an over-encumbrance when used as a daily driver?

I know it will attract a lot of attention, but my workplace has a dedicated and guarded parking spot, so that issue is solved.

My work commute is around 15 kms one way, with a mixture of highways, traffic snarls with battery rickshaws and signal heavy stretches.
nutcracker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 15:00   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
I have a question about the Busa that's been on my mind since a while.

Since I am for real considering getting the Busa down the line, my idea is that I do not want it to be a garage queen and actually use the machine as my daily driver: work commutes, meetings, streets etc.

Do you think that can be managed with the Busa, or is it too much of an over-encumbrance when used as a daily driver?

I know it will attract a lot of attention, but my workplace has a dedicated and guarded parking spot, so that issue is solved.

My work commute is around 15 kms one way, with a mixture of highways, traffic snarls with battery rickshaws and signal heavy stretches.
If your mind is set to it, you can use the Suzuki Hayabusa (or any other big bike, for that matter) on a daily basis. However, the thrill of seeing the odometer rack up big numbers, while you struggle through the daily grind of mind numbing traffic, will wear out pretty quickly.

In all honesty, given the commute conditions that you mentioned, I can pretty much guarantee that you will have more fun going to office while riding a Gixxer 250 than the Hayabusa.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 15:26   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
In all honesty, given the commute conditions that you mentioned, I can pretty much guarantee that you will have more fun going to office while riding a Gixxer 250 than the Hayabusa.
+1 to what Neil has mentioned. 15 Kms one way isn't the best use of the Busa. You could keep two Fun-to-Ride bikes - a small one and the Busa for longer rides, whenever you get chance.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks