Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2021, 01:55   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
You must ride a Busa once in your lifetime to just feel what a 1340cc inline four can do to you.

Some pointers...
I will not disagree with any of the points mentioned by you as a matter of fact one of the reasons I have avoided riding it because of many points posted by you above, I personally know few converts.

But to experience majority, probably all of the points listed above you, need to own the bike. No way you can experience and judge any of it, by just looking at the bike. Test drives are hard to come by, and no way I am pushing some one else bike to experience any of the points listed by you. Personally I hardly ride any one else bike let alone push them to limits.

The first thing I can do is look at the bike and majority of interest ends there for me. Call me old school, but if a bike does not make me look back at it twice, story ends there, reason I did not ride the multi too. Busa has a legacy, there is no denying it, it works for 95% of the people, there is no denying that. I Just fall in the 5%, and the posers and abusers of the bike have made sure to firmly keep me there. Busa Owners like you and few others I Know are tough to come by and they speak as passionately as you did.

I am sure a lot of people are hunting to beat me, after reading this post

Last edited by AtheK : 7th July 2021 at 02:24.
AtheK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 07:46   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I am sure a lot of people are hunting to beat me, after reading this post
I have a very different take on the Busa. This will be a long post, so pls bear with me.

The Busa earned its infamous title as the favorite of all squids, in 2 countries - India and US. Both have very liberal motorcycling license policies. There is no classification of motorcycles based on engine cc. The moment you get a license, you are allowed to ride anything from 50 cc - 2000 cc. As a result, without proper training and skills, anyone can ride the Busa. Plus the bike itself is very easy to ride. The power delivery is linear, the torque is abundant. It gives you a false sense of security. You get this sense that you can just hop on the Busa, twist the throttle and hit 300kmph and thus you are the most qualified and technically adept rider. That appeals a lot to novice bikers, who then post insta stories and videos in a bid to show off and contribute heavily to the squid culture. And then that stupid movie Dhoom made things worse.

In contrast, Europe, Japan, and other developed Asian nations like Singapore and Hong Kong make motorcycle licensing a very detailed and arduous process. To get a motorcycle license, you have to start at the lowest cc class and then progressively upgrade through 200cc, 400cc and wait years before you are allowed to ride a 1000cc motorbike. Those who ride a Busa in these countries are experienced riders who know their stuff. The squid culture in these countries is practically nil.

Back in 2018, 2 Japanese motorbike part makers came to Delhi to do a preliminary survey on exhaust systems, and bike sliders. They wanted me to be the primary importer and then down the line, set up plant to produce locally. I took them to the Kawasaki West Delhi showroom to have a chat with the dealer to get a sense of volumes, pricing, margins, etc. It was a very professional meeting. Japanese businessmen in suits, translators, the whole works. On top it was the Japanese folks first visit to India.

Call it bad luck, but it was one of those days when a rider belonging to a riding group (very infamous for poor riding behavior) was taking delivery of his ZX 10R. There were 70 bikers, with their wives + kids openly consuming alcohol at the dealership, revving their bikes hard and just making a total fool of themselves. I was half expecting celebratory gunfire.

Half of the group had Busas. The Japanese contingent was very interested to know what exhaust systems the owners had installed, what was the criteria, what power output was obtained, how was the ride quality and a bunch of technical questions. They wanted to know why the riders chose Busa and what was the decision making process.

This was how the conversation went through the interpreter, after I got hold of a few riders who were not inebriated and still had some sanity left. Or so I thought.

Japanese contingent (JC): Why did you install Yoshimura instead of keeping the stock exhaust
Squid squad (SQ): Sound maast hain, ekdum zabardaast

JC: Other than sound, does the engine feel smoother
SQ: pataa nehi, lekin sound to sunooo zaraa; Proceeds to revv bike for next 20 seconds.

JC (half deaf): do you feel a difference in the handling characteristics due to lower weight + increased horse power
SQ: bhaagta hain, aaj Yamuna expressway pe 300 top kiya. Sound to suno. Revs now for 30 seconds.

JC (totally deaf): Would you consider slip ons or full system
SQ: Koi difference hain kya, humko sound chaiye.. Revs again......

JC (eyes shut now, looking up at the sky): Why did you choose Busa over other makers
SQ: Speed bro, speed. It goes at 300 kmph. 30 bikers then immediately revv the bikes all together. It was utter cacophony. The police arrived 10 minutes later due to noise complaint and consumption of alcohol on a public road.

JC:.....................................

You may think I am making up stories, but I have pictures as I was documenting this. Needless to say, it was an unmitigated disaster. My interpreter was hiding in the corner, and the Japanese delegates were looking hopelessly at a bunch of adult men, dressed in leathers just revving their bikes non stop while holding beer bottles.

We went for dinner at a Japanese restaurant in Gurgaon and I asked the Japanese guys what their thoughts were. They were very polite, but they told me that the Indian biking scene is juvenile and people have no clue about bikes or products. In Japan, people do not buy exhausts simply because they are loud. People buy it on technical factors, and costs are the last. They were perplexed on why Indians are buying Busas, which in Japan, is a top end grand touring bike, and riding as delinquents and only considering about top speed and power.

Thankfully we had a few constructive meetings where we met bonafide Busa riders. But it was a small segment. Sadly the Japanese contingent decided not to invest in India.

My story summarizes what we are all seeing everyday. The Busa has been reduced to an object of ridicule in India. It is a very misunderstood bike. It was meant for touring with comfort and speed. Instead, it has become an Instagram prop for people to act as buffoons. But Busa is not the only one in this infamy. The ZX 10R is rapidly gaining, followed by the BMWS1000 and the Ducati V4. All 4 of this bikes are expensive, have tons of power and are now the prima donnas for idiots with small brains.

I have little hope that things will change for the better, but those who appreciate bikes for what they are, will cherish the bikes and treat them well. As I have said before, this forum and its members are the exception. The technical knowledge and professional riding skills exhibited by the riders on the forum are what everyone should aspire to, but the real world is the total opposite.

Rant over.

Last edited by no_fear : 7th July 2021 at 08:11.
no_fear is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 08:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No way you can experience and judge any of it, by just looking at the bike. Test drives are hard to come by, and no way I am pushing some one else bike to experience any of the points listed by you. Personally I hardly ride any one else bike let alone push them to limits.
I agree 100% on that. I only ride others bikes when they themselves offer me to ride it and I just pounce on that opportunity :. But I only push it when they ask me to test it and tell me where it needs improvements. That is how I have ridden dozens of RD’s and even a RZ 350 and have ridden them like a mad man.

Quote:
The first thing I can do is look at the bike and majority of interest ends there for me. Call me old school, but if a bike does not make me look back at it twice, story ends there, reason I did not ride the multi too.
To counter this old school thought (in your own words) I will try to justify with another old school thought like our elders who ask us to look at the inner beauty/qualities while pushing us for an arrange marriage to a person of their choice

That is why I said if somehow you can come over the way it looks its only when you can appreciate the beauty of the brilliant engine, which as Schumi says has to be one of the best in the world which works in tangent with the superbly tuned chassis and suspension to provide a riding experience which cannot be matched even after 2 decades except by another Busa.

We bikers enjoy riding more than just looking at the bikes and when you ride one its the internal beauty that shines more than the external.
SnS_12 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 08:37   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
To counter this old school thought (in your own words) I will try to justify with another old school thought like our elders who ask us to look at the inner beauty/qualities while pushing us for an arrange marriage to a person of their choice

That is why I said if somehow you can come over the way it looks its only when you can appreciate the beauty of the brilliant engine, which as Schumi says has to be one of the best in the world which works in tangent with the superbly tuned chassis and suspension to provide a riding experience which cannot be matched even after 2 decades except by another Busa.

We bikers enjoy riding more than just looking at the bikes and when you ride one its the internal beauty that shines more than the external.
Charmers like yourself and a few friends keep pushing me to be a convert, I refuse to budge

That said, I am definitely going to ride it now, don't think I will buy one, but definitely try it out, and I for one second have no doubt that it will end up impressing me. But I will take my love marriage over arranged, even though it comes with extra bit of tantrums and you do not exactly have a parent or influencer to blame when things do go south.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 08:44   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post

as the favorite of all squids, in 2 countries - India and US.
As a result, without proper training and skills, anyone can ride the Busa.
That appeals a lot to novice bikers, who then post insta stories and videos in a bid to show off and contribute heavily to the squid culture. And then that stupid movie Dhoom made things worse.
when a rider belonging to a riding group (very infamous for poor riding behavior) was taking delivery of his ZX 10R..
This was how the conversation went through the interpreter.
JC:.....................................
and the Japanese delegates were looking hopelessly at a bunch of adult men, dressed in leathers just revving their bikes non stop while holding beer bottles.
the Indian biking scene is juvenile and people have no clue about bikes or products.
The Busa has been reduced to an object of ridicule in India. It is a very misunderstood bike.
The ZX 10R is rapidly gaining, followed by the BMWS1000 and the Ducati V4. All 4 of this bikes are expensive, have tons of power and are now the prima donnas for idiots with small brains.
As I have said before, this forum and its members are the exception.
If I could Thank this post a 100 times, I would!! The silver lining is the few outlier riders as we’ve seen on this forum and reviews like Shumis that remind you what a top class bike the Busa actually is.

But you’ve brilliantly summed up the general idiocy that is prevalent on the Indian superbiking scene (I’m conscious the US is one country that has its own share of “squids” who give bikers a particularly bad name.)

Closer home in Mumbai, the route to Charoti / Ahura on Mumbai Gujarat highway (a regular heavy traffic route with a lot of trucks) is actually referred to as Charoti Grand Prix because of the numerous rash riders who want to boast of topping 200 kmph+ on that route. It’s no wonder that all Superbike riders are constantly in the cross hairs of cops - they’re doomed to be guilty by association with the hobby.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th July 2021 at 09:06. Reason: Trimming quoted post further.
Axe77 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 10:09   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I have a very different take on the Busa. This will be a long post, so pls bear with me.
is it me only, When I went to Ducati to enquire about Multi, they mentioned termignoni both slip-on & full system.

But my request to them was, is there a way we can reduce the stock exhaust sound? Then they told me you must be the first guy to mention so.
Vasuki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 12:14   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Then they told me you must be the first guy to mention so.
Lol, Ducati's exhaust sound does get annoying. I truly think you are the first person. I switch off the engine and coast to my parking lot, so as not to disturb the neighbors. But, in all fairness, there is a big difference between exhaust note and revving engine needlessly to announce to the whole world that you have a big bike.
no_fear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 13:14   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Lol, Ducati's exhaust sound does get annoying. I truly think you are the first person. I switch off the engine and coast to my parking lot, so as not to disturb the neighbors. But, in all fairness, there is a big difference between exhaust note and revving engine needlessly to announce to the whole world that you have a big bike.
Spot On. My Kids just hate Ducati's sound. They prefer the sound of previous Z800.

Guys, you have really given me the anxiety/bug over busa. Shumi's video hits the nail on the head. So this should be the bike that needs to be added to my list which was pretty bare with streetfighter being a lone candidate.

One more doubt, the 3rd generation has just 125mm GC. Is that not an issue for the busa?
Vasuki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 16:36   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
One more doubt, the 3rd generation has just 125mm GC. Is that not an issue for the busa?
Doesn't scrape over speed breakers while riding solo and riding with pillion its advisable to approach at an angle if its a big speed breaker. My Ninja 650 always used to scrape the silencer no matter what you do especially with a pillion.
SnS_12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 18:58   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Japanese contingent (JC): Why did you install Yoshimura instead of keeping the stock exhaust
Squid squad (SQ): Sound maast hain, ekdum zabardaast
Brilliant post !

I changed my stock exhaust for one reason and one reason only - to increase the horrible ground clearance where I was forced to look out for speedbreakers more than looking at the road.

The bad consequence of this decision was the increased noise the after market silencer makes. I once met a gentleman who had a Z900 with an Akra and the exhaust was so silent at normal revs and the sound increased exponentially once you revved the bike hard. Mine however has a loud sound even at low revvs and it gets just a little bit louder at high revs so its disturbing even on normal rides.

When I took the bike for service one guy waiting for his ZX10r said he loved the exhaust and said I should remove the baffle so that it sounds even better. When I told him I wanted the sound to be more like the stock silencer he just gave me a weird look like I said something incredibly stupid and he was questioning my sanity as he slowly moved away.

Sadly even squids seem to think I am one of them and on three occasions squids revved their engines when passing me and gave me a nod

Coming back to the Hayabusa I don't really care too much if squids ride the bike or not. Riding is for fun and joy and I don't really care what people think of my bike as long as I have having a ton of fun riding it. That said I am terrified at the thought of riding such a heavy bike that isn't mine so I doubt I will ever get a chance to ride a Hayabusa anytime soon.

Last edited by bf1983 : 7th July 2021 at 19:02.
bf1983 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 02:34   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Brilliant post !
That said I am terrified at the thought of riding such a heavy bike that isn't mine so I doubt I will ever get a chance to ride a Hayabusa anytime soon.
This is my exact thought about the Busa. I've never liked big, heavy bikes though I guess some could say it's a case of sour grapes as I'm a thin 5'6" shorty.
Old 9th July 2021, 12:39   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf2Tones View Post
This is my exact thought about the Busa. I've never liked big, heavy bikes though I guess some could say it's a case of sour grapes as I'm a thin 5'6" shorty.
5.6 ft is hardly short. It's very much average in India. The Busa is designed in Japan and Japanese people are similar in average height to Indians and so the Busa at 800mm seat height means it's very accessible for someone of your height. You should easily flat foot the Busa. The weight though is another ball game...
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 13:30   #73

Quote:
5.6 ft is hardly short. It's very much average in India. The Busa is designed in Japan and Japanese people are similar in average height to Indians and so the Busa at 800mm seat height means it's very accessible for someone of your height. You should easily flat foot the Busa. The weight though is another ball game...
Yeah it's a combination of my height as well as physique. I'm pretty thin and don't have much muscle mass. I've recently started trying heavier bikes but I just don't feel as secure on them as I do on sub-200kg bikes.
Now, in my head I know about the balance point and how even 1250GS and Busa feel feather-light once they're perfectly balanced but I've never met a rider who hasn't dropped their bike and I'm afraid I would give myself a hernia picking up something like a Busa.
I always expect the worst when I ride a bike so if I feel like I can't handle the worst case on a particular bike, I usually avoid riding it.
Deaf2Tones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 21:17   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually no. At 5.6, a person is not going to flat foot a Haybusa. However, you will gain an inch or so with a pair of A stars and that would help you move it around with your toes easily. Also, it depends on your inseam.

If you are just squatting on it and not in riding postion, only then you might be able to flat foot, but I doubt.

@deaf2tones-. You normally don't pick up the Hayabusa or any other heavy bike like you would a splendor where you just bend and pick it up.
If it hard to lift it normally and find the weight heavy, you then lean on it with your back, grab it with your hands and use your legs to push it back up.

Last edited by bigron : 9th July 2021 at 21:26.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 00:05   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post

@deaf2tones-. You normally don't pick up the Hayabusa or any other heavy bike like you would a splendor where you just bend and pick it up.
If it hard to lift it normally and find the weight heavy, you then lean on it with your back, grab it with your hands and use your legs to push it back up.
Yeah I know what you're talking about. I can't do that with even with a Tiger let alone a hayabusa. The biggest bike I've been able to pick up was a friend's Speed Twin (it got knocked down coz some idiot was sitting on it while it was parked outside a cafe) and that too coz its tank was almost empty.

Most Viewed