Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2021, 13:47   #1
BHPian

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone

Intro

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210603wa0026.jpg

Ducati is a brand that needs no introduction. It's best known for launching the iconic 916, designed by the Michelangelo of motorbiking, Massimo Tamburini. I had a big poster of the red 916, and that was the beginning and end of my association with Ducati as a teenager and youth.

My reacquaintance with Ducati happened after I moved back to India in 2015. I had studied and worked abroad for a long time and I wanted to set up my own company and try my hand at entrepreneurship. Fortunately, my line of work was associated with the motorcycle industry and I got the chance to work with all the big brands that were entering India. Unfortunately, my line of work needs a lot of facetime and travel to client sites. I tried using the Delhi metro and Uber for my transport needs, but due to the geographic diversity of my meetings, I realized I needed a fuss free commuting method. A motorcycle was the most natural choice, so I bought a Kawasaki Ninja 1000. It was a reliable and trouble free bike and it let me explore more of the biking community in Delhi. While the bike is an all rounder, I felt there was nothing extraordinary about it, so I sold it and got a KTM Duke 390. That was a fun peppy monster whose life was cut short, after a drunk driver rear ended the bike at a gas station.

The next time, I sat down and explored my options. I was always enamored with Ducati, but didn't want to commit to a sports bike immediately, so I bought a Hypermotard 950. That bike has been a hoot and a blast and occupies a very big spot in my heart.

The evolution of a collection

I am a pretty hands on guy and like to tinker with motorbikes and work on them. They are my form of meditation and stress relief. I always toyed with the idea of having my own unique motorbike collection as I got more involved with the motorcycling industry. A few superbikes, cans of WD-40, Megular's wax and I am set for the weekend polishing my beauties. That has always been my dream.

To take the step from a dream to reality, I analyzed the market and realized that a lot of superbike owners like to buy big flashy bikes, ride them for a bit, pose on Instagram, and then sell them to move on to the next flavor. The bikes keep changing hands, and then ultimately rot away in someone's garage from neglect. I decided to hunt for bikes that are on sale in the market, have not been abused, and with a bit of TLC, will regain their past glory.

Long story short, I slowly built up my collection and ended up with the MV F4RR, the 1198SP, the Brutale 1090RR and finally the 1199R. The 1199R had a pretty rough past but I hope that it will have a better future (more of that in a separate instalment).

A few pictures of my current collection and the monikers I gave them.

My pride and joy - 2017 MV Agusta F4 RR

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210608wa0033.jpg

The unfettered cat - 2017 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210605wa0005.jpg

The wild thing - 2011 Ducati 1198SP

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210530wa0003.jpg
My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210516wa0012.jpg

The unhinged - 2014 Ducati 1199R

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210218wa0025.jpg
My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210218wa0007.jpg

and finally, the wheelie popper - 2019 Ducati Hypermotard, with her sister MV F4 from the same mother (Cagiva)

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20201225wa0013.jpg

Fun fact - both MV Agusta and Ducati belonged to Cagiva (acronym for Castiglioni Giovanni Varese. The first batch of Ducati 916 were built at the Cagiva factory at Varese. Cagiva sold Ducati to Texas Pacific Group (TPG) when they were cash strapped but kept MV. Cagiva went bankrupt and got absorbed into MV. Italian motorbiking history is a fascinating melting pot of startups and failures.

Enter the V4S

Before the latest April 2021 lockdown, one of my sources told me about a Ducati 1299S. Unfortunately there was a mix-up, and he ended up sending me pics of a 2019 V4S. Now, the V4 model is available pan India as the upcoming BS6 2021 model, BS6 2020 and BS4 2018-19. Initially I didn't put much thought into the V4 model thinking there is enough supply and I can wait it out. I casually researched online and checked with the dealers and my sources. But once I started digging, I realized that the supply of immaculate condition V4s is very limited. Buying a good used motorbike is ultimately very tiring. For every 10 leads that you get, 9 are useless. In most cases, bikes have been heavily customized which doesn't suit the buyer's taste, asking price is too high, bike has engine issues or worse, no service records. I looked at the 2021 model as a potential alternative and was told the new prices will be much higher than the 19 model.

So I bit the bullet and looked up this particular V4S. The bike had been put up for sale on FB classifieds and pictures were circulating on Whatsapp. I spoke to the owner about the bike, received several pictures and videos and did my own background check. The owner himself is a biking enthusiast and wants to get a V4SP so he had decided to let go of the S. The bike had only done 4000 km, looked relatively clean and not misused on the track or road. The customization was also rather tasteful and was done by the Ducati dealer.

Due to the lockdown, I arranged for a tow truck to pick up the bike from the seller and ship over to my FNG, where it would undergo a full inspection and service before it would come over to my place. A few pics to show how the bike was shipped. The sheer number of ropes tied to the bike panicked me a lot.
My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210506wa0019.jpg
My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210506wa0020.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2021 at 08:16. Reason: Small edit :). Thanks for sharing
no_fear is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 15:48   #2
BHPian

My 2019 Ducati V4S - the cure to everyday monotony

A technical check and a dress rehearsal

Delhi remained under strict lockdown, so my bike sat at the FNG for weeks and accumulated dust. Once lockdown was partially lifted, I made my way over and under my supervision, worked with the head technician for a thorough check of the bike.

The bike was first stripped of its fairings, and the engine case checked to make sure it wasn't opened, or there are no cracks. Then, I carried out the following:

1. Drained out engine oil, replaced filter and put in new engine oil Liqui Moly 10w 50
2. Changed the front brake pads
3. Checked to see that rims are not bent, chain sprocket is not loose and chain is in good condition
4. Pumped out brake and clutch fluid lines, added in new fluid
5. Installed Evotech oil cooler and radiator guards - better safe than sorry
6. Applied Putoline chain lube
7. Tires were inflated and tire life checked - they need to be replaced after another 3000 km
8. Rear brake pads have over 70% life - will change them in the next annual servicing

A few pics of the bike undergoing servicing and cleaning.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210602wa0018.jpg
My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210602wa0015.jpg
My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210602wa0014.jpg
My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210602wa0025.jpg

Total bill for the servicing including parts was Rs 50k. The Evotech guards cost Rs 17k. The radiator and oil guard is much needed on our roads, where stone chips being thrown around is a regular feature of everyday riding.

The bike was then thoroughly cleaned, waxed, lubed and ready to take home.

Accessories by Rizoma and Akra power

I like custom parts, but only if I put them on Bike customization is an individually acquired taste, and one man's treasure can quickly become another's trash if the customization is not done right. However, for the V4S, I broke my own rule. I liked the customization the previous owner has done. The list was short but sweet.

1. Rizoma gas tank cover

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0021.jpg

2. Rizoma handle bar ends - they get scuffed easily from the gloves.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0024.jpg

3. Rizoma clutch and brake levers - they fold if the bike falls, and should not break. I have no inclination to find out if this is the case. I liked the Ducati branding on the lever protector and the levers themselves. It stands out.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0017.jpg
My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0016.jpg

4. Rizoma brake lever protector

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0023.jpg

The total cost of "Ducati by Rizoma" accessories + fitting was Rs 1.1 lac. Its quite steep, but then again Rizoma charges outrageous prices and gets away with it. I like Rizoma's quality, but with Ducati as their new branding partner, they have hiked prices a lot.

The part that gives the bike its unique flavor is the full system Akrapovic race exhaust. The Akra exhaust bumps up the bike to 229 HP (debatable as some owners said crank HP only goes up to 226). It is usually installed as an after market accessory on the V4R. The sound is gorgeous and changes the personality of the bike. The exhaust snarls and growls and you know a Ducati is coming a mile away. I cannot hear anything when the bike turns on. I am sure Delhi cops will be salivating over the number of challans they can issue.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0018.jpg

I believe this is one of the very few Ducati V4S in India equipped with the Akra full system. The only other one I have seen is the test bike loaned out to the media.

The Akra exhaust price tag + installation costs were a princely Rs 6 lacs. The full system exhaust retails for USD 6,000 overseas, so along with GST and fitting charges, the original quote holds up to what the Ducati dealer charged to the previous owner.

Last edited by no_fear : 9th June 2021 at 20:49.
no_fear is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 09:44   #3
BHPian

The belly of the beast

Let's get into the meat of the matter here. Ducati has done away with its signature trellis frame with the 1199 and onwards. Now it employs a monocoque chassis, meaning the bike is built around the engine. The new look has divided Ducatista purists, some of whom have vehemently sworn not to buy the new models. I like the look. And I don't care what others think.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0025.jpg

The V4 engine has won many plaudits due to its refined nature, linear power delivery and generous ounces of torque. It has the same bore as the MotoGP V4 and with 1,103 cc delivering 214 hp at 13,000 rpm, you will not need "more power" as Jeremy Clarkson loves to dole out on his shows. Mine is tuned up to 229, but I am in no hurry to determine if its 229 or 214 or 200.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0027.jpg

For our Indian roads, simply put, there is no need and no use for this ridiculous amount of power. 100 bhp is enough to get the job done for street riding and highway frolicking. 200 bhp is insanity and if you are not experienced, this machine is too much for you. Heck, it is too much for me. I genuinely feel scared fully opening up the throttle. I am not an advanced pro racer rider, nor am I a basic beginner, but in all reality I will only end up using 20% of this bike's potential. The power delivery is very smooth, and the bike does not stall or sputter at low RPMs. Below 3k RPM, you can still ride on 2nd and 3rd gear and not feel the jarring knocking that creeps in on the older L2 engine. The 1198SP simply stops and sits idle if I ride at that RPM on city streets. The 1199R tries to behave but after a while it too makes a wheeze and the engine cuts out.

The wet clutch is butter smooth and feathery, and coupled with the DQS, makes gear changes effortless. Rider geometry has been changed to make the seating posture a bit more upright and taller. This means, longer rides should not be pain inducing, at least in theory. The windscreen is also taller and buffets against the wind effectively. Dry weight of the bike is 173 kg, while fully laden, it tops out at 195. It is not a lightweight, but it does not feel that heavy also. When I place it beside the 1198, I get the feeling that the V4 has put on more weight compared to the 999 - 1198 series. A quick check showed me that the 1198 also has a dry weight of 173 kg . So the V4 bulked up but it didn't gain flab. I wish I can do the same with my dad bod.

I find the the gas tank has a unique oblong shape when viewed from the rear, that reminds me of one of my favorite movie characters. See if you can figure out who it is without scrolling down. I will put the answer below.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0015.jpg

The V4 has the usual smorgasbord of exotic parts - Ohlins electronic active suspension for the front and rear. This makes for a massive difference in ride quality as Ducati's supercomputer picks up our potholed roads and tunes the suspension while I ride. Is it needed? You bet your bottom. The Ducati 1198SP also has Ohlins but is manual, which means you need to set the compression and rebound manually. The 1198SP is super stiff and hard and makes for a very uncomfortable ride on our Delhi sarkaar roads. The V4S eats it up with ease.

I want to keep the bike ride review short and sweet. In full disclosure, with the current semi lockdown measures in place, I cannot ride long distance anywhere. I haven't truly measured the performance of the bike and at this stage, cannot dole out an objective assessment. My initial observation is that the electronic aids give the bike a more controlled feeling, especially when compared to its older cousins, and with some grit and rigor, can be used for city commuting, provided traffic moves. Once the summer and monsoon is over, I have planned a longer ride to Rajasthan, and then I can figure out how this bike truly stands against the rest of the competition.

The instrument panel is quite clean and tidy. You have a digital read out of the speed, gear and rev counter. Then you have the settings of - race, sport and wet mode. I have kept it at sport mode. Race is redundant for now. Ducati wheelie control, traction control, mind control, girlfriend control, wallet control and a host of other controls light up the rest of the panel. You can toggle through the settings and set up ambient vs internal engine temperature, kms / liter, trip settings using the toggles and switches on the left handle bar. The options are numerous and frankly ridiculous. I still haven't completed toggling through. I am sure there is an option to even get food delivered if I link the bike to my phone (just joking) The bike has its usual start and kill switch, which is a bit fiddly. The start button is miniscule and you have to feel for the bump.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0030.jpg

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0031.jpg

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210608wa0020.jpg

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210608wa0021.jpg

The one thing it does not have is the fuel gauge.

As one of my good friends told me; Fuel gauges are for wimps.

Ducati, I still need a fuel gauge though. I can't keep guessing how much fuel I have left when I am crossing the Yamuna and suddenly get caught up in the inevitable jam.

Talking of fuel gauge and fuel, this beast drinks fuel like there is no tomorrow. Thus, any discussions on "kitna deti hain" are irrelevant. City riding is 12 km / liter. Highway may be 15 - 18 km / liter if I don't go crazy with the throttle. The tank capacity is 16 liters, so that means, at the most, I can go 240 kms on a full tank, if I am conservative. I am guessing 200 km is the maximum and probably, the median will be 150 - 180 km on a single tank. I will need to start looking for a pump the moment I cross 120 kms on my trip meter. I am using premium fuel.

Bike bhaagti hain, lekin rukti bhi hain to?

Fear not. Brembo's newly developed monobloc Stylema calipers, developed specifically for the V4, mated with twin 330mm discs for the front, and a single 245 mm disc for the rear wheel, along with Bosch ABS EVO do their job with ease. A gentle squeeze on the levers and the bike comes to a gripping standstill.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0019.jpg

For the running, Pirelli Diablo Super Corsa SP 200 / 70 for the rear and 120 / 60 for the front are kitted on the Marchesini magnesium forged alloy wheels. Brembo owns Marchesini, so its one happy family.

Finally, DRLs give the menacing look to the V4. A lot has been written about the front look. I find it very similar to Batman's cowl. I forgot to take pictures of the bike with the lights turned on. The bike has lithium ion battery, so the battery should hold charge for a longer while. I do not have a trickle charger outlet in my garage, so I will start the bike and go for some rounds a few times a month.

ta da.. the answer to my quiz above

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-screenshot_20210609133755_google.jpg

Last edited by no_fear : 9th June 2021 at 19:21.
no_fear is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 13:19   #4
BHPian

Customization plans

For now, I decided to carry out the following customization plans for the V4S.

1. Tank guard

I looked up the tank guards available currently and discarded the choices. I will order from Motografix and have it shipped over.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210605wa0010.jpeg

Rejected tank pads. The Ducati one costs Rs 6k.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210602wa0023.jpg

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210602wa0024.jpg

2. Ducati Corse graphics

The bike feels rather blank on the fairings. Initially, I thought of changing the fairings to the new shark gill ones. But I might skip that and get the Ducati Corse lettering across the fairings. I am still undecided.

3. Mirrors

As you can see, the bike is missing mirrors. Ducati mirrors are useless. They vibrate, you can't see anything, the plastic stalks cannot be folded, and they break easily. I took them apart and plan to install custom ones. Moto science makes decent foldable V4 mirrors, and I will order those.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-screenshot_20210609162308_chrome.jpg

4. Custom sticker

All Ducatis usually come with a small Ducati Corse sticker on the front tire fender. The V4 / V4S doesn't have that and it looks bare. I added a Ducati Corse sticker that I got from the dealer.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0029.jpg

5. Missing stickers and paint

One thing I will caution against are powerwashes. They are good for hosing down rims and engine, but the water jet pressure removes stickers and paint. The previous owner used power wash to clean the bike. As a result the Du of the Ducati, on the front fairing came off. Some of the cautionary stickers also washed out. The brembo brake caliper Ducati lettering lost color. I will get those fixed.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0026.jpg

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210602wa0019.jpg

6. Rear Fender Eliminator

I absolutely detest the current rear fender. It is ungainly and too long. It makes the bike look like a swordfish. I want to get rid of it. However, the fender acts as a crash guard and can take the brunt of the force if I am rear ended. (had the exact same situation with my Hypermotard). I am still debating what to do. I look forward to forum members' opinions on this.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0022.jpg

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img20210607wa0008.jpg

7. Rear seat cowl and rear seat pegs

I have removed the rear seat cowl and converted the bike to a monoposto. The rear set pegs are still attached. Will use a weekend to unscrew those.

The final countdown

All good things must come to an end, so let me wrap up my post here. To impress my clients, I often use SWOT analysis. All you consultants must be groaning in pain.

Donning my consulting hat, what the V4S offers is:

Strength
  • Ferocious power
  • Smooth clutch
  • Tons of rider aids
  • Easier riding position
  • Did I mention, ferocious power

Weakness

• The heat: I thought with a smaller exhaust loop, Ducati would have figured out how not to turn men sterile. But no, heat and Ducati go hand in hand. This bike roasts thighs and legs like its a tandoor oven. Summer riding is pretty much out of the question. I haven't worn leathers because with 40 degree heat, its madness. Hopefully, winter will be a different story. I feel sorry for the riders down south who don't have the luxury of north Indian winters. When the bike is switched off, two bi directional fans keep spinning for a minute to radiate the heat. Not that it helps much in our Indian weather.
  • Expensive parts: I always nag on the forum about Ducati parts and service costs and the V4S is no different. I source my own parts and use my FNG and his service bay, but still I feel the pricing is high. Is the premium worth it? No.
  • Lack of qualified service centers: Ducati is present in a handful of metros. For those, who live outside the major metros, its a hassle to get the bikes serviced. The service techs charge an arm and a leg to come down and carry out the basic annual servicing.
  • Disregard to customer feedback and insane pricing: This one takes the cake. Ducati has positioned itself to cater to the entry level through its Scrambler range. Very good, and I applaud the decision. But then what's with the price hikes for the new BS models. Am I supposed to believe that heated grips, some extra bits of software, and plastic wings justify a 80k - 2 lac price hike for the V4 models. And I haven't even touched on the Diavel. Sorry Ducati, but you are doing a disservice to your customers.

Threat

• Kawasaki, Honda, Triumph, Aprilia, Yamaha.
  • Let me throw in a twist. Measure for measure, my 2017 MV F4RR matches the V4S and then delivers some more. The MV is an inline 4 cylinder producing 201 horses. Its a 20 yr old design that has remained unchanged, but boy oh boy, that bike rocks. It is a timeless beauty, and whenever I ride it, I feel ecstatic. Its a shame, MV severed ties with Moto Royale but I sincerely hope MV comes back. India accounted for 8% of MV's total sales.

Opportunity
  • India is still an untapped market for Ducati. Not everyone wants to shell out 22+ lacs for a bike, but surely Ducati can use the India - Thailand FTA agreement and lower prices. My V4S, although built in Italy, has a sticker saying Ducati Thailand.

My honest opinion

Is the V4S awesome? Yes it is. I have owned it for barely 2 weeks and I love the bike. The engine + the electronic aids make it a potent superbike. No doubt a lot of moto journalists have sang praises saying its the best that Ducati has produced.

But, there is a but.

For the current price of 28.4 lacs, ex showroom for the 2021 BS6 model, its not worth it. The price - value ratio is skewed against the buyer. You can find better deals on the market if you are looking for a new bike. Kawasaki is a worthy contender with its new ZX 10R (looks are subjective). I am not throwing the new Aprilia RSV4 in the mantle as they also have gone mental and started charging Ducati-mad prices.

The compromise: get a used 2018-19 V4S or a V4. There are still good deals out there, and buyers are waking up to this fact now. The 2018-19 versions, although BS4, are rock solid and have already taken a significant hit on the original retail price. I have seen some sellers revising upwards their original asking prices.

Disclaimer

I use my own networks to source for motorbikes. This is my hobby. However, this industry is still rife with middle-men, scammers, used dealers and a bunch of shady characters who always over promise and do not deliver. This same V4S was promised to me for 20, 22 and 29 lacs by three different used dealers. I dealt directly with the owner, whose price was in the middle, and fair.

To cut through the nonsense, I use reliable sources and pay them a finder's fee to connect me with the owner / seller so that I can spare myself any headache. Not all owners publicize what they are selling. Until a decent website like cycletrader comes up, we are all subject to this drama. By dealing with the owner directly, along with the bike, I got all the original parts, plus the original full V4S factory exhaust for the final price he quoted. That is a win win for everyone.

Stay safe and ride safe. Mic drop.

Last edited by no_fear : 9th June 2021 at 19:29.
no_fear is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 07:43   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Superbikes section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 08:10   #6
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant review @Nofear. I’ve been watching your posts and your bike collection from the signature. You have clearly built quite the “exotics” collection out there and hats off to putting your money behind some very niche / very expensive brands to own and maintain. I can imagine having your own sourcing of parts and FNG is literally a ‘must have’ to maintain such a garage.

India is a tough place for a bike enthusiast. The way used bikes are sold, while they can get great value - is clearly underwhelming particularly the way dealers operate and how bikes often change hands far too frequently, often with boy racer types and without the associated paperwork transfers too. The degree of care buying a used bike in India is several notches higher than buying a used car. I’m not even getting into the state of our roads and the access to proper safety gear without ISI Marks and rubbish BIS standards (1.2 kg rule anyone?) being thrown into this. Through all of this, its great to see the passionate rider still persists through.

Loved your SWOT analysis. You’ve laid out all the reasons a moderately passionate but practical biker like me would steer clear of Ducatis in general. Impractical heat issues, high cost of acquisition as well as high cost of maintenance. My passion is clearly not a patch on yours and my choice of bikes is therefore more on the lines of a Toyota like Triumph experience. I want it to be hassle free, easy to use, easy to keep without burning a hole in the pocket. But its a joy to live vicariously through ownership threads like yours.

Enjoy the V4S, it is a VERY special machine and its nice to see it in such deserving hands where it’ll be kept well.

Safe riding!
Axe77 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 09:09   #7
BHPian

Wow, what a collection! I had a poster of an MV Agusta when I was a kid. Wonderful review there and It doesn’t seems to have a bad angle.

Ducati means passion. Once we start putting our head, it just doesn’t makes sense. Be the cost of buying or the ownership. Despite these challenges,I too would like to own a Ducati someday. Fingers crossed.
abhi_tjet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 10:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

Wow! As others have mentioned above - what a collection! F4RR, Brutale 1090RR, 1198 SP, 1199 R Hypermotard and the V4S.

Loved reading the review - unbiased and straight to the point! Thanks for sharing.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 10:32   #9
BHPian

I just melted at the sight of that collection,and now the V4S is the new crown jewel of the bunch. Hats off to you and your dedication sir. Hope one day I get to buy atleast 1 bike from such a collection. Also, according to my opinion, you have to eliminate the fender, as it looks out of place on such a beauty.
aarnav_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 12:12   #10
BHPian

Absolutely stunner of a bike and an equally gratifying review. Just looking at this red devil makes me lose track of time. Its so beautiful and perfect. Congrats brother on owning such a beauty. Many happy miles to you!
mugen_pinaki27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 12:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

So, finally you put up a thread dedicated on the Italian Beauties. Guess you should name your garage One Sided Garage (O.S.G) or Single Sided Garage (S.S.G) as all are Italians and all have a single sided swingarm

You had commented that you bought the V4S on the 2021 Ducati Panigale V4 and Diavel 1260 launch thread and I was like what does this guy do for a living to afford and have the patience to own so many exotic and temperamental Italian beauties.

With Athek's 959 thread and your garage thread, it would definitely help other future potential owners to decide whether they are really up to it to own one as just the official short but sweet accessories on your V4S cost close to a ex-showroom price of a Z900

I have a fiend who owns a MV F4 RR 312 in France and he always tells me you have to ride it to feel what this machine is all about. With a heart that Ferrari engineers assisted with in the development these MV's can't get anymore Italian. As luck would have it when I was in France my friend was back in India and hopefully I would have better luck and the opportunity to ride the next time around.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-photo20190914223913.jpg

BTW, I know you haven't ridden the bike too much, but did you feel that the rear suspension to be on the softer side than desired? As I had seen a comparison between the 2020 V4S against a 2005 GSXR 1000 and despite the age and high mileage on the GSXR it set a faster time than the V4S on the track.

The riders said that despite a more powerful engine the suspension didn't provide the confidence to put down that power on the track, where these bikes belonged and bought up the question again that do all these electronic gizmos actually make a bike go faster as they are marketed and do we actually need them?

P.s - Being from the insurance field I wanted to know whether you maintain a comprehensive or a third party insurance on all your bikes?

Last edited by SnS_12 : 10th June 2021 at 12:42. Reason: Added the insurance query
SnS_12 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 12:36   #12
BHPian

Congratulations! A beautiful stable, you've built there.

It was fun, reading through your experiences and choices made in the overall garage building journey.
Extra kudos for teaching me a couple of new fancy words in English, I saw some very posh words in your log and instantly smiled.

I have nothing else to offer but one question and one suggestion for you.

Question: when you've these many bikes and when the usage would probably be not that much, how's it sensible spending so much for the exhaust and accessories? I know it's a personal choice but would you ever even realize the extra oomph across the rev range on Indian roads (minus the racetrack, but I see you didn't mention racetrack as a use case)?
For the amount already spent on the bike before a considerable ride, it could have taken maybe a small fall or two! I hope you never do, but the protection is costlier than original equipment. Mainly w.r.t levers and exhaust.

Yes, you'd have to wait for parts but still? Fuel is already costly and some of the funds could be used for actual road use na?
Also, cops would happily fine you.

Suggestion: keep the rear fender stock. It looks good IMHO and also provides 'some' protection from stones/water to the people using the road behind you.
A fender eliminator wouldn't be as effective as OEM, which in itself is inadequate.

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 10th June 2021 at 12:45. Reason: Formatting
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 12:41   #13
BHPian

Re: My 2019 Ducati V4S - the cure to everyday monotony

Whoa!
What a beauty!
That pic with all those ropes? Almost like trying to control a wild stallion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
The part that gives the bike its unique flavor is the full system Akrapovic race exhaust. The Akra exhaust bumps up the bike to 229 HP (debatable as some owners said crank HP only goes up to 226). It is usually installed as an after market accessory on the V4R. The sound is gorgeous and changes the personality of the bike. The exhaust snarls and growls and you know a Ducati is coming a mile away. I cannot hear anything when the bike turns on. I am sure Delhi cops will be salivating over the number of challans they can issue.
Any chance of a video? Would absolutely love to hear the beast growl.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 13:30   #14
BHPian

@no_fear.

Finally!!! The thread has arrived. Lovely pics to say the least.! Wishing you a lot more miles on the beast.
Also, I think with the current lineup you have. Dedicated threads for each of those beauties are a must!

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 13:54   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me congratulate you for a worthy addition to your garage. This thread also reminds me yet again, I was so very close. Then as I read further I come across this, and grin a bit and continue to read further.

Quote:
200 bhp is insanity and if you are not experienced, this machine is too much for you. Heck, it is too much for me. I genuinely feel scared fully opening up the throttle. I am not an advanced pro racer rider, nor am I a basic beginner, but in all reality I will only end up using 20% of this bike's potential.
Quote:
City riding is 12 km / liter. Highway may be 15 - 18 km / liter if I don't go crazy with the throttle. The tank capacity is 16 liters, so that means, at the most, I can go 240 kms on a full tank, if I am conservative. I am guessing 200 km is the maximum and probably, the median will be 150 - 180 km on a single tank.
12 Km/ Liter probably would be the best case scenario, I have constantly heard stories of single digit returns in Bangalore traffic. Highways should get you somewhere close to what you have mentioned, the missing fuel gauge and story behind it continues to be a mystery, it is missing in V2 also.

Quote:
The bike has lithium ion battery, so the battery should hold charge for a longer while. I do not have a trickle charger outlet in my garage, so I will start the bike and go for some rounds a few times a month.
Get one ASAP, the battery of the V4 I was eyeing, died last week. This when the V4 was getting some road time, even though lockdown was in place.

Quote:
I absolutely detest the current rear fender. It is ungainly and too long. It makes the bike look like a swordfish. I want to get rid of it. However, the fender acts as a crash guard and can take the brunt of the force if I am rear ended.
I would personally get the tail tidy, yes you lose a bit of protection, but then personally it is a risk I would be ready to take.

Don't think I can add much more, after all you are the one we go to get advise. Except I see that the helmet might need an upgrade soon, or maybe this is your city helmet, and there is another stash of helmets in almirah . Wish you the very best with the beast, and hopefully someday I will get to see the entire collection in real life

Last edited by AtheK : 10th June 2021 at 14:18.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed