Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2021, 14:11   #16
BHPian

Re: My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I can imagine having your own sourcing of parts and FNG is literally a ‘must have’ to maintain such a garage.
India is a tough place for a bike enthusiast. The way used bikes are sold, while they can get great value - is clearly underwhelming particularly the way dealers operate and how bikes often change hands far too frequently, often with boy racer types and without the associated paperwork transfers too. The degree of care buying a used bike in India is several notches higher than buying a used car.
@Axe77 – thank you very much for the kind words and compliments. Yes, owning exotic superbikes in India is a whole different world of pain. I did own a Kawasaki Ninja before and was taken for a ride by the official dealer, then I got wiser and decided to learn the basic service skills. I can write a whole thread on the terrible behavior of used bike dealers.

@ abhi_tjet, Crazy driver, aarnav, and mugen – thank you all for the kind words and support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
when you've these many bikes and when the usage would probably be not that much, how's it sensible spending so much for the exhaust and accessories?
The parts came pre-installed, as the previous owner is also a biking enthusiast. With regards to the protection – yes it’s costlier than the original equipment, but the pain of owning a Ducati means the original parts are imported from overseas. With customs duties + GST + labor charges and waiting time of 1-2 months, the protection actually becomes the sensible choice.

I do not bring my bikes to a race track. Not that I do not want to, but it takes a lot of time to prep and maintain a track focused bike. I enjoy riding my bikes on the road. As for the parts / performance / cost question, I will say logic takes a step back on these things. With regards to the extra oomph, as I mentioned in the thread – no it’s not needed. But then again, we as consumers are spoiled for choices and always want the bigger, better, faster models. Thank you for the suggestion on the rear fender. Appreciate your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
So, finally you put up a thread dedicated on the Italian Beauties. Guess you should name your garage One Sided Garage (O.S.G) or Single Sided Garage (S.S.G) as all are Italians and all have a single sided swingarm
@ SNS – that is a brilliant name for a garage. I might start using the SSG.

My older brother used to own a 2007 MV F4R1000 in Los Angeles. He moved out of the country but left the bike with me, with the intention of shipping it to India. We never managed to get it done, but I rode that bike a lot. Your friend’s bike is the 2008 model that came out and it’s a lovely piece. You should ride it in France if you get the chance.

The V4S rear suspension seems ok to me. You raised a very good point about the GSXR vs V4S. I saw the video myself and I fully agree with the presenters. My own 1198SP has no electronic gizmos, makes 170 hp, but when I ride it, I know it can take on the V4S. The issue is that for modern bikes, the bike maker throws in gallops of power and then adds electronic wizardry to assist the rider. This is being done in the name of safety and advancement. But honestly, this huge power band is too much for a normal rider. Hence you do not push the bike to the limit. So you are in control on older bikes, while newer bikes control you.

Insurance – for the 1198, 1199 and MV F4 it is 3rd party only. My agent is checking if we can change it to DCPD, or work out a fleet insurance arrangement to cover 50% of any damages.

The Hyper, Brutale and V4S have comprehensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Any chance of a video? Would absolutely love to hear the beast growl.
Give me a few days. I will try to get something uploaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Dedicated threads for each of those beauties are a must!
@Krishna - I took inspiration from your thread. I will create one for the 1199 and it should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Let me congratulate you for a worthy addition to your garage.
@ Athek, many thanks brother. I hope you are enjoying the 959. I am trying to see how to get wiring done to install the trickle charger. Need to get permission from building management. I do have a stash of helmets and riding gear. Will post them. I use the Airoh only if I am out in the neighborhood or going to my office. For longer rides, I wear my regular riding gear.

Last edited by no_fear : 10th June 2021 at 14:33.
no_fear is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 15:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Insurance – for the 1198, 1199 and MV F4 it is 3rd party only. My agent is checking if we can change it to DCPD, or work out a fleet insurance arrangement to cover 50% of any damages.

The Hyper, Brutale and V4S have comprehensive.
Fleet insurance, would normally work for commercial vehicles, where they see more frequency and payouts of third party damage then own damage.

In case of superbikes many insurers in India are still not comfortable insuring them and especially the older ones. Plus for my own Busa on every renewal I have to argue to maintain the IDV as the system generated IDV is lower than the current market values.

Other thing is that no insurer will cover the aftermarket parts unless they are specifically been endorsed on the policy by paying additional premium and you have a bill for the same. Also, if you have a major accidental damage then you need to be prepared to cough up a huge amount initially as even a cashless policy won't help as the dealership will ask for a deposit to place the parts order and most likely insurance company will ask the owner to seek a reimbursement for the cost after the vehicle is repaired.

In your case insurance cost for a comprehensive cover can be easily over 1,00,000 annually so maybe third party cover would be best cost wise as for older vehicles getting zero depreciation policy is a challenge so one will anyway have to incur 50% deprecation cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Get one ASAP, the battery of the V4 I was eyeing, died last week. This when the V4 was getting some road time, even though lockdown was in place.
A friend who owns a 1098 was having battery issues as he was not riding it often and he mentioned that even if you start the bike and let it idle every week doesn't help and you need to actually ride it every week to keep the battery healthy. With a dry clutch riding the bike in the city was a real pain and he finally had to fix a trickle charger.
SnS_12 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Fleet insurance, would normally work for commercial vehicles, where they see more frequency and payouts of third party damage then own damage......... a dry clutch riding the bike in the city was a real pain and he finally had to fix a trickle charger.
@Sns. You have hit the nail on the head. I was told the same by most insurance companies. For the V4S, since the accessories were installed by the dealer and are offered by Ducati directly during purchase, as aftermarket accessories, it did not affect the insurance premium. That was the only exception. I kept the older bikes on 3rd party as I know depreciation will take a big hit. The fleet insurance is a jugaad idea by one of my agents as there is little or no umbrella insurance that covers different vehicles for one household. My knowledge on insurance is minimal but I hope to learn more from subject matter experts like you.

For the 1098, is it the one with gold rims and TIM decals on the front fairings. One headlight is painted blue or green and the other red, I think. If that's the same bike, I was told your friend is trying to sell it. The bike was covered on Insta by a famous female vlogger.

Last edited by no_fear : 10th June 2021 at 16:01.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Sns. You have hit the nail on the head. I was told the same by most insurance companies. For the V4S, since the accessories were installed by the dealer and are offered by Ducati directly during purchase, as aftermarket accessories, it did not affect the insurance premium.
The reason why it didn't affect your premium is because the accessories are not endorsed on your policy as addons.

Accessories offered by official dealers or the factory itself doesn't mean an insurance company will pay for it at the time of damage as their argument will be it never came fitted on the bike from factory as standard and hence is not part of the IDV.

For eg the Akra exhaust which costed 6 lacs was paid over and above the bike cost but the insurance was calculated only on the bike cost minus the Akra system and other accessories fitted on the bike.

Insurance companies can even go the extend and reject a claim by saying that the bike had modifications parts installed which are not approved by the RTO. In the md 2000's when I was working with a Toyota dealership a insurance surveyor had listed a radiator as a plastic part and applied 50% depreciation (zero depreciation policy was an alien subject back then). The owner argued that how can something which holds boiling liquid be made out of plastic and even threatened to go to the consumer court for his foolish argument and logic

Hence, you have to speak with your insurance provided to seek clarity on this and avoid any hassles at time of a claim, which hopefully you never have to go through on any of your exotics.

Quote:
For the 1098, is it the one with gold rims and TIM decals on the front fairings. One headlight is painted blue or green and the other red, I think. If that's the same bike, I was told your friend is trying to sell it. The bike was covered on Insta by a famous female vlogger.
Its the same guy and bike and yes he is looking at selling it. When I met him in April last he mentioned he had a interested buyer form Bangalore but couldn't proceed ahead because of the lockdown situation.
SnS_12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 18:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
The reason why it didn't affect your premium is because the accessories are not endorsed on your policy as addons.

Its the same guy and bike and yes he is looking at selling it. When I met him in April last he mentioned he had a interested buyer form Bangalore but couldn't proceed ahead because of the lockdown situation.
@Sns,

Sachin, I owe you a drink of your choice if I am in Mumbai. I called my insurance agent and clarified. The previous owner had insured the bike + accessories. The old insurance policy covered 5 lacs out of the 7. However the policy lapsed. So when I bought the bike and renewed the insurance coverage, the new policy only covers 1 lac for the accessories but they kept the IDV value of the bike and original parts as higher.

I stand corrected on my previous claim, and many thanks to you for helping me uncover this. I was not aware as I was under the impression that the old and new policies are the same.

I have an insurance anecdote to share - for my Hypermotard,the insurance company initially denied the claim for the cost to replace the side stand. They first told me it's not covered by policy, then told me it's wear and tear part like rubber bushings or gaskets. Now they told me they will only cover 50% as it's plastic item. I told them I will cancel my policy renewal with them. The battle goes on.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 21:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Sns,

Sachin, I owe you a drink of your choice if I am in Mumbai.
Thanks. I will take a bottle of 42 Below for the S.S.G suggestion and a bottle of Yamazaki 12 year old for the insurance suggestion

Quote:
I called my insurance agent and clarified. The previous owner had insured the bike + accessories. The old insurance policy covered 5 lacs out of the 7. However the policy lapsed. So when I bought the bike and renewed the insurance coverage, the new policy only covers 1 lac for the accessories but they kept the IDV value of the bike and original parts as higher.

I stand corrected on my previous claim, and many thanks to you for helping me uncover this. I was not aware as I was under the impression that the old and new policies are the same.
Reading the fine print always helps or else the Insurance company will make you read it during a claim. Sadly, many in the insurance industry feel that they are in the business of collecting premium money but actually they are in the business of paying claims.

Just to be extra sure ask your insurance company to list down the accessories covered and not just let them say accessories stands covered for a sum of amount and leave it open for debate as too what accessory is covered and not during a claim. In a court of law anything that is not specifically excluded stands covered but we don't want to take a court route especially in India, where only the lawyers get richer.

Quote:
I have an insurance anecdote to share - for my Hypermotard,the insurance company initially denied the claim for the cost to replace the side stand. They first told me it's not covered by policy, then told me it's wear and tear part like rubber bushings or gaskets. Now they told me they will only cover 50% as it's plastic item. I told them I will cancel my policy renewal with them. The battle goes on.

Loosing a small motor renewal will hardly break a sweat for the smallest of insurance company in India unless its a cooperate client where even the smallest insurance matter can get escalated very quickly.

Motor Insurance is one of the few insurances which is actually an All Risk cover. Flooding, fire even terrorism damage stands covered. But its the surveyors who act funny and the best thing for individuals would be to stick with a good agent who can really help push their case. Or tell the company you will lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman, IRDA. The last thing is they want to get fined for such silly things by the insurance regulator, who will not let go off an opportunity to make money .

I started my career with motor insurance so I have seen it all and have just one personal experience till date with my Busa. Touchwood
SnS_12 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 13:11   #22
BHPian

Must confess, I know nothing about motorbikes, but I do try to read all the bike reviews here. What a collection! Thanks so much for sharing. Ducati sports bike are so damn good-looking in red. I ride a different kind of bike, one without an engine. I recall a lovely encounter with a similar red machine as yours, early one February weekend morning on the GCR. What a beast.

Ride Safe.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 13:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I ride a different kind of bike,
Hi Promit, what bike are you riding. I got a KTM 91 - granite during this lockdown to keep my sanity at check. I go out for some evening rides and nothing beats a nice pedal workout to keep the flabs away.
Old 11th June 2021, 13:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Promit, what bike are you riding. I got a KTM 91 - granite during this lockdown to keep my sanity at check. I go out for some evening rides and nothing beats a nice pedal workout to keep the flabs away.
That's great! I too started off for the same reason a year ago. I joined a couple of groups. I guess the passion in a motorbike group & a bicycle group is similar - except 'you' are the engine. I got into it big time, and it's generally been the highlight of my days and made me very very fit too. Currently have a 29" Firefox MTB & a Giant Road Bike.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your ride and that machine is a looker. I loved your review and took two days to read through it.

Wanted to add as a ex monster owner, the scare by a lot of owners on the exorbitant cost of service is what made me cancel the idea of shipping the bike to india.

Few things which i did to ease my ownership:
  • Faced wind drafts and i updated to a Puig windscreen.
  • Added extra cushioning on the seats to prevent hot spots on the behind during rides over 1 hour.
  • The battery dying out was a common issue. Added an aftermarket wiring from the battery to the starter by a vendor in California and it survived a winter in Maine without riding and started on the first crank.
  • This was a good product: https://motolectric.com/

I could not figure anything out for the heat issue. Not riding in traffic was a only choice especially in the desert of arizonas summer.

Enjoy the rides.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 20:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Wanted to add as a ex monster owner, the scare by a lot of owners on the exorbitant cost of service is what made me cancel the idea of shipping the bike to india.
This was a good product
@Maddy - I too lived in the US and had the exact same worries. When I moved back, I sold my bikes. I regret it now. The good thing is that, there are many qualified technicians who are running their own shops in the major Indian metros who can service Ducatis for a fraction of the cost that dealers charge. If you ever plan to head back with a Ducati, pm me. We can have a chat.

on motoelectric - thank you for the tip. I was not aware of this. I will look it up and see if I can order one for the 1198.
Old 11th June 2021, 20:50   #27
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

What a drool-worthy envious collection, no_fear !

Many Congratulations for each of these Italian beauties.

Did you by any chance pick up the Brutale from NS.One Delhi? I remember drooling over a similar spec'd Brutale which was on display at NS.One almost on a daily basis during my office commute. It soon found a buyer and was nowhere in sight thereafter. Since a white-golden Brutale 1090RR is quite a rare sight in India, I'm assuming that could have been your motorcycle unless there are two similarly spec'd motorcycles in NCR.

The F4 is such a gorgeous thing on two-wheels. Do share more pics of this beauty !

The Panigale V4S has gained such popularity amongst the Indian enthusiasts. The number of Panigale V4s at BIC during a recent ISBK event was astonishing. There were plenty of other exotic motorcycles which truly deserved a dekko, specially the likes of BMW HP4 Race, but the Ducatis truly were a spectacular sight. There was a Panigale V4 with an Akrapovic full system exhaust, IIRC the rider had shipped the motorcycle from Pune for the ISBK trackday. That Akrapovic full exhaust, in higher rpms, is a treat to the ears.

Last edited by //M : 11th June 2021 at 20:52.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 20:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Did you by any chance pick up the Brutale from NS.One Delhi? There was a Panigale V4 with an Akrapovic full system exhaust, IIRC the rider had shipped the motorcycle from Pune for the ISBK trackday. That Akrapovic full exhaust, in higher rpms, is a treat to the ears.
@M - Thanks a lot for the kind words. Yes I picked it up. I was debating between that one and a black 1090. There are only 2 Gold - White Brutales in India. The other one is in Bangalore.

I found out today there is 1 more V4S in Delhi with the full system Akra exhaust. I am guessing it belongs to Ducati NSA (Delhi dealer). I will post some pics of the F4 in a separate thread.

Last edited by no_fear : 11th June 2021 at 21:00.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 21:19   #29
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's the V4 from BIC with the Akra system. I hope I'm not mistaking this for a slip-on.

My Ducati Panigale V4S - Bad to the bone-img_20210313_10003101.jpeg
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 21:27   #30
BHPian

@ M

No, that's the full system.

The winglets + shark gills means that's the 2020 V4S model. Was it the ISBK last year in Sep or Oct at Buddh?

If the bike is from Pune, it could have been modded by Ducati Legacy, the Pune Dealer. I am just guessing here.

I see another V4 in the background, behind the V4S.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks