Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2021, 11:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Dreams do come true | My 2010 Yamaha R1 | And now a BMW G310GS too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Ha Ha Ha!! I was told you were going to visit.
I kept telling Arjun that you had an R1 at some point of time but he couldn't recall. If I am not wrong, you did a saddle sore on your R1 too? Right?

I wish I could join you guys for the chit chat!!

Rachit
Naah, I have never Had a R1, I did have a Close Friends 2008 R1 with me for a few months, I still find Litre Bikes too much for me
I was there to check on Keshav's 10R which I am contemplating on picking up for my kid bro who rides a R6 in the west.

10R in Low Power Mode had enough to give me heebie jeebies, and that was in 3rd and 4th gear. Will take a call in next two weeks.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 01:21   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Naah, I have never Had a R1, I did have a Close Friends 2008 R1 with me for a few months, I still find Litre Bikes too much for me
I was there to check on Keshav's 10R which I am contemplating on picking up for my kid bro who rides a R6 in the west.

10R in Low Power Mode had enough to give me heebie jeebies, and that was in 3rd and 4th gear. Will take a call in next two weeks.
Ahh!! I don't know but for some reason I always thought you had an R1.

Yeah, I am with you on litre class being a bit too much honestly. Although, it still didn't stop me from getting my hands burnt. But being so close, I just had to fulfill this dream.

I have ridden Keshav's 10R a fair bit. In terms of ergonomics I feel it fit me the best. Being long, low and comparatively softer, it feels very confidence inspiring and puts the power down really well. Its a good bike and I am sure your brother will love it. Best of luck for the decision!!

We should definitely meet in case you come to pick her!!

CHEERS!!
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 01:08   #48
BHPian

@Mods: Kindly Change the Title of the thread to:
Dreams do come true | My 2010 Yamaha R1 | And now a BMW G310GS too!!

So finally it happened, took the delivery of 2022 BMWG310GS (Triple Black) this week. I had shared my inclination for a small affordable ADV in many threads in the last month or so. My heart really wanted the CB500 and head wanted a 390 ADV, but in the end I got a BMW G310GS.

Will share the updates for the bike in this thread only!!

Delivery Day Picture. I do have a story to share on the buying experience. Will try to take out some time and club it with the initial impressions update later.
Dreams do come true | My 2010 Yamaha R1 | And now a BMW G310GS too!!-bmw1.jpg

Ready for the Pooja ceremony outside the temple
Name:  BMW2.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  84.2 KB

Some basic accessories like Crash Guard and Bash plate. I guess it has become customary to get all this stuff for an ADV. I did enjoy the shopping experience though!!

Name:  BMW3.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  119.1 KB

Name:  BMW4.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  109.0 KB

Only ridden the bike for 50 KMs for now. Very comfortable and relaxing bike to ride. I just hope it does not spoil me too much, that it leaves me no good for the R1.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 22:37   #49
BHPian

Re: Dreams do come true | My 2010 Yamaha R1 | And now a BMW G310GS too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post

Will share the updates for the bike in this thread only!!
Waiting for your updates
I am in the process of buying an ADV. Too many options spoiled the fun. If not for the stiff ride (low end torque can easily be managed with 47T rear and FuelX lite/Pro), I would have surely gone for the AdV390.

Himmy is nearing its end, and don’t want such a heavy bike with comparatively low power figures).

CB500X ticks all the boxes, albeit the most pricier of the lot but is low on maintenance and is a keeper.

GS310 is the jack of all trades. Great cushiony ride(priority), good power, and a long service interval for ease of mind. The only issue is that the nearest SVC is 400kms(Lucknow/Ranchi) away which is a cause of concern. But the reviews seems positive, and except for the battery issue with the previous models, there hasn’t been any point of concern for riders.

Looking forward for your review.

Happy riding
NTab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 08:25   #50
r.K
BHPian

Question to Rachit and Krishna
I have a query about the crossplane engine vs the normal 4cyl on the S1000RR -- I understand the dynamics of the crossplane engine; the 90° firing that gives it that additional oomph at lower revs (composite torque).

What I want to understand is does it really make that much of a difference while riding? I've been listening to all the exhaust note videos on YouTube, and I just can't come to terms with the R1's. Like Krishna mentioned in his thread, it's either love it or hate it. S1K is a symphony, whereas the crossplane sounds like punk rock.

Have either of you ridden the S1000RR? I've not yet ridden either and I plan to do so, but would be great if your can add your 2 cents pls. Thank you!
r.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 08:56   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
I have a query about the crossplane engine vs the normal 4cyl on the S1000RR -- I understand the dynamics of the crossplane engine; the 90° firing that gives it that additional oomph at lower revs (composite torque).

What I want to understand is does it really make that much of a difference while riding? I've been listening to all the exhaust note videos on YouTube, and I just can't come to terms with the R1's. Like Krishna mentioned in his thread, it's either love it or hate it. S1K is a symphony, whereas the crossplane sounds like punk rock.

Have either of you ridden the S1000RR? I've not yet ridden either and I plan to do so, but would be great if your can add your 2 cents pls. Thank you!
Hi r.K,

I have not ridden an S1000RR till now, so what I'll be speaking about is b/w a traditional i4 and the Crossplane i4.

So to begin, does the CP4 makes a difference w.r.t a traditional i4? Yes, it does and it's a huge difference in experience. The composite torque is a force to reckon with, it will catch you off guard if you are not expecting it, many get intimidated by it at first, but later on, that is what you learn to love the most. Dare I say it goes to an extent where you start missing that feeling when you ride any other i4 bike, even the ones that are newer and make more power. To give you an example I had the opportunity to ride extensively a newer gen 10R(200bhp) and a Fireblade w/o TC and while I enjoyed every bit of it, I missed the dramatic power delivery/punch that only the Crossplane engine can deliver in the i4 configuration(v4, Ltwin engines give a quite comparable or even better punch, it has to do with the engine configuration primarily and the cp4 sounds closer to the v4s if you have noticed).

But this composite torque comes at a cost too, the cp4 can never match the butter smooth throttle response you get from a traditional i4, the R1 has a very sharp and deliberate throttle response (this is not to be confused with lack of smoothness, the R1 is very misunderstood in this regard, the lack of smoothness that many say is actually the difference in how you handle the throttle) but overtime you learn to control the throttle to give yourself a smoother ride.

Now I can carry on writing about it, but to truly let that feeling sink in, you need to ride one. Trust me it's going to be an experience you will never forget, no matter if you love it or hate it.

Now about the soundtrack, it's an acquired taste and I fully agree with you, the flatplane i4 sounds like a symphony, not a better word to describe it, but man the R1 is just something else, rolling thunder is what I'd like to say, but yeah. You see for someone who loves the sounds of V4 engines and L twins(this is an even more acquired taste) the R1 sound is just magical.
Of course, the reason why all flat plane i4 sound somewhat the same(I'm not talking about volume, but the sound) is because of their firing order, cylinders 1&3 fire at the same time, and cylinders 2 and 4 fire at the same time.

Now within the i4, the S1000RR is the easiest bike to ride(I have been told) with the most electronic aids available. But I'd strongly suggest you ride both the bikes first and get a 1st person feel to it. I can go on for ages describing the feel but nothing beats riding it and experiencing it.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 12:51   #52
BHPian

@r.K

In terms of exhaust notes, my personal and dare I say, generally accepted preference is
V4>crossplane>IL4>IL3 .Ok the last two can be reversed in order.
The crossplane does sound a bit rough but it's refreshingly different from the generic hum of the IL4 and closer to moto gp bikes. Of course a V4 is a moto gp configuration and sounds even better. Currently only the RSV4 is relatively easy to get in India which gives you that unless you hunt down a VFR800/1200 and slap on akra pipes- music to the ears.

In terms of traction the R1 is supposed to be better due to its crossplane configuration. The firing order and resulting power pulses reaching the tyre ensures you get better drive out of corners. In terms of performance, well typically the IL4s will win the horsepower race. The 2015 R1 doesn't post the staggering numbers of the S1000/GSXR on the dyno. The crossplane configuration means the crankshaft has to be beefed up to withstand the higher forces acting on it. This not only results in higher dry weight but also gets amplified due to the fact that the crankshaft is a moving part. This was the reason the 09 R1 was a bit overweight as the engine weighed more and from what I remember the 08 4c8 R1 was faster in a straight line.
Although they did close the weight gap a lot with the 2015 R1. I did have an opportunity to ride a 2016 as my friend owned one and it was ballistic. The brakes were wooden though!

This video helps to make sense of how the engines sounds like it does

This one is a very good video which explains how the crossplane is supposed to give you better drive

doga is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 03:17   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
What I want to understand is does it really make that much of a difference while riding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Hi r.K,

So to begin, does the CP4 makes a difference w.r.t a traditional i4? Yes, it does and it's a huge difference in experience. The composite torque is a force to reckon with, it will catch you off guard if you are not expecting it, many get intimidated by it at first, but later on, that is what you learn to love the most. Dare I say it goes to an extent where you start missing that feeling when you ride any other i4 bike, even the ones that are newer and make more power.

Cheers
Krishna
Quote:
Originally Posted by doga View Post
@r.K

In terms of traction the R1 is supposed to be better due to its crossplane configuration. The firing order and resulting power pulses reaching the tyre ensures you get better drive out of corners.
@r.K Describing R1 is a little bit tough and I am not trying to sound pragmatic. I think Krishna has explained it beautifully. Yes, the cp4 engine feels different than a traditional I4 engine. The torque delivery is instantaneous. With the R1, its mostly about the throttle response. This throttle response, will initially intimidate you but with time, you will start loving it.

As doga highlighted, crossplane R1s are all about corner exit. Can you feel it while riding on roads? Yes, I think Yes. The way the R1 exits a corner, the way that instant torque makes it literally jump of corners is special. I am sure on a track, it will be even more pronounced.

Yes, I have ridden a BMW S1000RR. I have ridden the latest 2022 model and a 2019 one as well. The 2022 bike was in Run In, so I did not ride it fast.

How does the R1 compare to BMW or any other modern Inline4 litre class:
BMW is very capable but is very approachable too. In softer modes, it is not intimidating to ride and is very useable. Most modern litre class bikes are like this with minor differences. They mask their speed well, so that you effectively can be more confident in maintaining high speeds. Plus with electronics and modern engine/throttle management, these bikes make it approachable to do high speeds as well.

R1 is not this. R1 will make you feel every KMPH you are doing. The only way you gaining confidence is, with more seat time. But this is why I feel R1 is more thrilling to ride. You will need to work harder on the R1 to keep up with a modern litre class, but you will get more thrill and satisfaction doing it, because it needs some effort and time with the bike.

It feels a bigger challenge to ride R1 fast and that I think if you are able to, feels more rewarding as well.

In terms of handling, I think its very close. I love the way R1 handles and the BWM felt very similar as well. Agile, sure footed and confidence inspiring on the side of the tyre.

I wouldn't say much about the exhaust note as it is a very personal thing. I would pick R1 over any traditional Inline4 any day.

As Krishna rightly said, if you have a chance, ride both the bikes. Nothing can beat actually riding a bike and then understanding how it feels to you.

CHEERS!!
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 01:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Somehow missed this thread before. Nice to see other 14B R1s on the forum. I have one aswell, 2011, 2010 Oct manufactured. Have owned the 5JJ and the 4C8. Compared to the regular inline4s i love the fact that there is so much mid range torque on offer that you can just ride around with throttle modulation and minimum use of brakes.
Has anyone tried the graves clutch mod on their 09-14 R1s? Essentially swapping out the clutch boss spring, a seat and friction plate from the 4C8 (2007+2008) R1s to get rid of the clutch lurching issue which is the characteristic of these bikes.

Here are a couple of pics of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Dreams do come true | My 2010 Yamaha R1 | And now a BMW G310GS too!!-20211230_222904.jpg  

Dreams do come true | My 2010 Yamaha R1 | And now a BMW G310GS too!!-20220101_110132.jpg  

heavy_foot is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 18:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Has anyone tried the graves clutch mod on their 09-14 R1s? Essentially swapping out the clutch boss spring, a seat and friction plate from the 4C8 (2007+2008) R1s to get rid of the clutch lurching issue which is the characteristic of these bikes.

Here are a couple of pics of mine.

I have been planning for this. Just waiting till the current clutch pack wears out. The reason for the wait is that I got so adjusted to the lurching that it doesn't seem to bother me anymore.

P.S.: Such a lovely bike! Do post more pics and maybe a thread too. Theres no such thing as too many R1s here

Cheers
Krishna

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks