Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2021, 17:03   #61
BHPian

Re: My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
getting a conversation going with some female moto vloggers to keep the Single Sided Garage (S.S.G) intact and growing. Getting a partner who would understand this passion is of utmost importance for a healthy marriage/garage.

Maybe a can of WD40 is what you should apply to keep the moisture and rust at bay?
Umm no thanks on the moto vloggers. Not my cup of tea. I agree it's important to choose the right partner. Willing to wait it out.

For WD 40, I do use it to keep the contact points clean and moisture away. But in this case, the clutch connectors are housed inside an unit. Not something that I would think can rust easily and I didn't think much about it. But oh well, we all learn, so now I know.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 17:18   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

So basically the biggest takeaway of this thread is we need your brother as a member of Team Bhp Pronto!!

That said the feeling of seeing bike on tow track is so sad, I just experienced it last month, but luckily I knew what the problem was. In your case it was even bad as you had no idea how to get it fixed and what awaits.

Good all is well, and you are back riding. Regarding getting married, better late, best never.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 19:55   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
@Vasuki,

Ducati Multistrada engine uses timing belt and not chain. You replace the belts every 5 years or every 25000 km. The Desmo engine uses belts for power delivery and its very efficient.

Btw, I am talking about engine timing chain / belts. Not the chain that goes from the transmission shaft to the rear wheel.

You can use manual cam chain tensioner if your bike engine uses timing chain. A lot of dirt bikes and all the professional race bikes use manual cam tensioners.

Now, for the drive chain, which I believe you are talking about, for your Multistrada, if the chain is slack after 1000 km of riding, I have attached a step by step instruction for Multistrada DIY. If you have the tools with you, you can tighten the chain yourself.
My bad, I thought you were talking about the chain adjustment/chain drive.

Thanks for the manual, I'm familiar with the chain adjustment and can do it if the need arises, as Ducati provides all the tools needed. But it is a cumbersome 15 to 30 minutes job, which I would not prefer in a long trip that too every 1000 - 1500 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
I think you misunderstood it. He is talking about the cam chain tensioner and not the drive chain tensioner. Drive chain tensioners are also a thing but not really required unless you are running a dirt bike. If you need a tensioner for your drive chain for every 1k km you are much better replacing the chain/sprocket set itself.

Cheers
Krishna
Yes as mentioned above, I clearly misunderstood.

As far I know with my experience of almost 30K kms in the Multi, the chain does get slack every 1500kms. It is also advised by service engineers to check & adjust every 1000 Kms. It is there in the manual too.

And Yes, I have changed the chain/sprocket at 28K Kms.

Quote:

P.s - Looking at your ownership threads the ones reading it who take the Italian plunge, would definitely need the contact details of your elder brother. Also, what's happening with the Busa in the background?
Amen to that. You've got some serious observational skills man. I had to enlarge the pic to identify the busa, that too after your prompt.

ps: @no_fear Sorry for hijacking your thread with my issues.

Last edited by Vasuki : 15th July 2021 at 20:08.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 20:28   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Amen to that. You've got some serious observational skills man. I had to enlarge the pic to identify the busa, that too after your prompt.

@no_fear Sorry for hijacking your thread with my issues.
@Vasuki, all is good brother. The thread is for us to share our individual experiences. Pls post more of your Ducati experience and even a review of the Multistrada if possible.

Wrt to SnS observation, that man's talents are being wasted on insurance. He should join the NIA / CBI or RAW. Lol... he really has a sharp eye. I forgot about the Busa being serviced as I was too preoccupied. And the bike was standing right beside me.

So just a follow up. I spoke to my brother on how the clutch switch that is housed inside a plastic unit can get affected by rust and we think we are on to something. Maybe forum members can share their experience.

Before I bought the bike from the dealer, it was cleaned and polished. The guy who does the detailing, he used a high pressure water spray for the usual cleaning. My brother believes that water seeped inside the plastic unit due to the pressure wash. Even if small amounts, water cannot evaporate fast from a confined space, so it contributed to the increased moisture content and caused the corrosion. This is just a theory.

I don't wash my bikes with water at all, just use Meguiar's or 3M sprays. Any of you guys faced similar experiences if you wash your bikes with water - any funky or weird electrical problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Regarding getting married, better late, best never.
Bold words but I like your style. I guess you are speaking from experience.
I saw your post with the 959 trouble. I had the exact same issue, but for my 1198 I knew the battery was the culprit. The starter motor was cranking but it was too weak to turn the engine over. For the Brutale, the starter motor didn't even work. There was simply no sound. That puzzled me a lot since I checked side stand and kept bike on neutral.

Asked my brother to join the forum. He told me to get a life and stop speaking to strangers on the internet... (he spoke in jest, so please don't take offence)

Last edited by no_fear : 15th July 2021 at 20:37.
no_fear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 20:32   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My eyes always identify a busa even without a fairing.

Also the GSX S seems to be getting an interesting seat interchange conversion

Having a knowledgeable person who is also a big brother helps a long way in maintaining such a collection without having a mini heart attack at every small issue which he correctly identifies Imagine being at the mercy of the dealership who themselves would struggle to troubleshoot.
SnS_12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 21:19   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My FNG arranged for a tow truck, and it came today morning. Rode with the guy to my FNG. It was the ride of shame, with my Brutale at the back. I was really morose. In my heart I felt it was a major issue and now I have to shell out some serious $$$$.
I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. I opened your thread to read your MV updates, but as I started reading, I thought you gave us details on an old Royal Enfield that you picked up on a whim! When I saw the picture, I realized oh, this is the authentic Italian experience all right.

I too have had to suffer the inglorious drive of shame to a SVC with my bike on the back of a pickup truck. The only advantage was that it rained heavily and all my friends who helped load the bike onto the truck, got soaked while riding back to Cochin. Meanwhile, I was comfortable in the pick up, having a nice conversation with the driver. He was most interested to know that we were on our way back from an inter state ride to meet up with friends from TN and KA.

Glad to know that it was nothing serious in the end. I agree with the advice of your FNG, your bikes need more riding! Let this not deter you from the Tuono plan though. Just saying!

Quote:
Total damage: Rs 5,000 (1,500 for towing; 3,500 for engine ice. Bike check complimentary. Still cheaper than a dinner date )
It costs Rs 5,000 for a dinner date these days? Goodness me!
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 22:21   #67
BHPian

Quote:
@Vasuki, all is good brother. The thread is for us to share our individual experiences. Pls post more of your Ducati experience and even a review of the Multistrada if possible.
Would love to start a thread, but me being lazy.... Will definitely do it one day.

Quote:
Before I bought the bike from the dealer, it was cleaned and polished. The guy who does the detailing, he used a high pressure water spray for the usual cleaning. My brother believes that water seeped inside the plastic unit due to the pressure wash. Even if small amounts, water cannot evaporate fast from a confined space, so it contributed to the increased moisture content and caused the corrosion. This is just a theory.

I don't wash my bikes with water at all, just use Meguiar's or 3M sprays. Any of you guys faced similar experiences if you wash your bikes with water - any funky or weird electrical problems?

So just a follow up. I spoke to my brother on how the clutch switch that is housed inside a plastic unit can get affected by rust and we think we are on to something. Maybe forum members can share their experience.
I'm also at the receiving end of a similar issue. The left handlebar toggle switch, which we use to browse isn't functioning perfectly. It comes back to the centre position while pressing up but gets stuck while pressing down. This happened after the last service/wash.

I complained to the service engineer. He told me they cannot open and clean it. In case such issue persists, we need to replace the unit. Then he used a good amount of spray(was it wurth), and it was somewhat functioning.

But now again the problem has returned. Yesterday I used a copious amount of WD40. Let's see how it pans out.

Quote:
Asked my brother to join the forum. He told me to get a life and stop speaking to strangers on the internet... (he spoke in jest, so please don't take offence)
He has a point, we spend too much time on this forum, so seriously get a life.

Last edited by Vasuki : 15th July 2021 at 22:24.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 00:24   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wrt to SnS observation, that man's talents are being wasted on insurance. He should join the NIA / CBI or RAW. Lol... he really has a sharp eye. I forgot about the Busa being serviced as I was too preoccupied. And the bike was standing right beside me.
I better have a sharp eye for the kind of Insurance I deal in to fund all my madness/passion

Quote:

That could be your culprit right there and the kind of water used could have aggravated the rusting.

Pressure wash should ideally be only for the tyres and not painted surfaces like body panel and definitely not electrical units. Never really faced this issue on the Busa with the washing procedure during service but always had a starting issue on my Ninja 650 post service thanks to the pressure wash. Once I had to literally push the bike for a km to my friends workshop as the bike refused to start after being parked for sometime. These Kwackers are really sensitive to water and fuel. So if you have to do it then better to use compressed air to get the excess water of the electrical points especially.

Also, some of these guys use the pressure nozzle too close as you need to maintain some adequate distance especially on painted surface. Also once a friend had left his CB 1000 for washing at a new place and the fellow applied car tyre polish on the rear tyre. Poor guy had to ultimately change the tyre as it would just not grip and slip while cornering.

Hence, i wash and detail by bikes and car myself. It my 2 to 3 hr cardio session on weekends

Below is the image of products i use.

My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review-b15c4b66241c4270ab8c919ca97216e2.jpeg

The sponge wipe and not the scrub pad. Works like a charm as you can squeeze off most of the water instantly.

My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review-0b10e2356af244d88069e10acacd052a.jpeg
SnS_12 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 08:47   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I too have had to suffer the inglorious drive of shame to a SVC with my bike on the back of a pickup truck. ........Let this not deter you from the Tuono plan though. Just saying!

It costs Rs 5,000 for a dinner date these days? Goodness me!
@Neil. Be glad you are married and don't have to indulge in these money losing schemes. If you add taxi fares, drinks, and dinner at a decent / upscale place to impress your date, its easily 5k. Drinks are 500 - 700, Uber / Ola is 1000 round trip. Food is 2000 for 2. I always want to eat out at dhabas and roadside places, but I don't think my dates will prefer that, at least, in first impressions.

Quote:
The left handlebar toggle switch, which we use to browse isn't functioning perfectly......He told me they cannot open and clean it.
@Vasuki, the service guy talked pure nonsense. The switch panel has 2 screws at the back, you can take them apart using allen keys. I took apart mine, and used compressed air to clean them previously. This is the usual dealer spiel to just sell you overpriced parts. I really hate when service tech / dealers think they can bluff and take us for a ride

Quote:
Hence, i wash and detail by bikes and car myself. It my 2 to 3 hr cardio session on weekends
@ Sachin, you and I share the same workout session. I do the exact same with my bikes. Its a good 3 hr cardio and stretch. Also your cleaning collection rivals mine. I think I spend a solid chunk of my monthly income on microfiber towels, sprays and waxes. Better than a gym subscription.

Last edited by no_fear : 16th July 2021 at 08:56.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 08:57   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Below is the image of products i use.

Attachment 2179657

The sponge wipe and not the scrub pad. Works like a charm as you can squeeze off most of the water instantly.

Attachment 2179656
Sorry to digress and hijack this lovely Italian thread. But i see Collinite and i want

You're the only other person i know now who uses that 845. Super super stuff that thing.
Odeen12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 11:41   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Sachin, you and I share the same workout session. I do the exact same with my bikes. Its a good 3 hr cardio and stretch. Also your cleaning collection rivals mine. I think I spend a solid chunk of my monthly income on microfiber towels, sprays and waxes. Better than a gym subscription.
We men can invest heavily on cosmetics for our motorcycles.. I also have quite a few microfiber towels, which I normally use them for light cleaning and buffing after wax polishing the bikes/car. For drying the Chamois (Sonax) works beautifully, which was gifted by a fellow biker friend. The clay bars I use once in six months as that process adds another hour or more but the results are worth the effort.

In my previous house a child started washing his bicycle after seeing me wash my two strokes on weekends and also a lady started washing and even asked for the wax polish to be used for her Activa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
Sorry to digress and hijack this lovely Italian thread. But i see Collinite and i want

You're the only other person i know now who uses that 845. Super super stuff that thing.
Yup, its a brilliant product no doubt and once you use it you ain't going back to anything else. Also, this one will last for years to come if you use it correctly, as only a small amount of polish is generally required to cover the whole motorcycle/car and not apply fresh paste on every surface you attend too. It was recommended by another fellow bhpian who is a chef by profession and has a detailing shop in Mumbai/Gurugram, which he runs as a hobby.

Another hack for wax polish is I use it to clean oil stains left from the chain on the rear wheels, which really shows on the gold painted rims of my RX. another product you can use is WD40, but I prefer the wax polish.
SnS_12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 08:18   #72
BHPian

A PSA to folks who are interested to buy MV Agusta.

One of my friends expressed interest to buy a F4. I heard through some contacts that a KA registered white F4 is on sale at a Kolkata used bike dealer.

I was quite curious, as to how a KA vehicle landed up at Kolkata. So did my research, and a whole can of worms popped out. This is first hand info from the agent responsible for shipping the bike.

Turns out the bike was bought in 2017 / 18. The first owner rode the bike for about 8000 km, and then crashed the bike. Insurance declared it a total loss (possible frame damage + whole load of engine damage). It was repaired by a local mechanic, then the bike was shipped off to Delhi. It sat with a used bike dealer there for 1 year and was not sold. Then the bike was wrapped and sent off to Kolkata, where someone bought it with 8800 kms on it, rode it for 6 months and then sold it back to the dealer. Added 500 km in 6 months of riding. You can easily find the previous sales posts for the bike by the Delhi and Kolkata dealers. There are several YT videos made on this bike by a few vloggers. This is probably a multiple owner bike, definitely not single owner.

Among the issues, the bike does not shift from 1st to 2nd gear. It goes straight to 3rd. There is transmission issue and possibly other hidden issues that have not been disclosed.

If you come across this bike, pls be warned. The current dealer is extremely shady person, who hides all these details and keeps saying that the bike is clean and in good condition. He does not allow any test rides but then gives it to his friends to make YT videos and Insta to promote the bike.

I would not mind buying the bike and fixing it, but given the crazy pricing and the lack of transparency, this is a hot potato best not touched. Wanted to share this info to highlight the unethical and fraudulent behavior that is rampant in the used bike industry, and to let forum members be aware that if something is too good to be true, its not worth it.

My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review-tempfileforshare_20210719104546.jpg

Last edited by no_fear : 19th July 2021 at 08:36.
no_fear is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 08:29   #73
BHPian

Quote:
this is a hot potato best not touched.

These "single owner" posts always give me a good chuckle.

It'd be tough to overlook the fact that it doesn't go into 2nd gear, but then people have overlooked even weirder stuff when buying vehicles so good you mentioned it.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 10:39   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
It'd be tough to overlook the fact that it doesn't go into 2nd gear,
@ Krishna - that is why the dealer doesn't allow test rides. Customers get scammed. I think I should open an investigative service on used bikes

People use detective agencies to find out the history of prospective brides / grooms or spouses. I can do this service for used bikes.

Or better, just become used bike dealer myself. If you can't beat them, join them.

Food for thought.
no_fear is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 11:47   #75
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

One of my friends expressed interest to buy a F4. I heard through some contacts that a KA registered white F4 is on sale at a Kolkata used bike dealer.
You might be already aware that there is another MV Agusta F4 for sale with NS.One guys. I saw the F4 on display earlier today.

My MV Agusta F4RR - Ownership Review-img_20210720_08584001.jpeg

No idea about the history or pricing as I didn't see it from close quarters. The store was closed in the early hours of the day so I could only feast my eyes through the glass area. She's a stunner.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks