Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2021, 19:23   #31
BHPian

Re: Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpulztrack3r View Post
I'm in a similar boat as you are. Looking to get back to riding after decades(s). The ST is definitely in my sights. Will look forward to your ownership review
Just posted the '500 kms' update. Will try to post & share regularly
Old 15th September 2021, 21:28   #32
RRR
BHPian

Congratulations GreaseMonkey!! I had similar expectations like yours before making the plunge, important one being- It has to age well with me.

I have been going though the similar accessory hunt for her, glad to find your ownership thread, I will be regular here

I have few Questions though-
1- OEM Handlebar risers which you picked- How much of a difference that makes in reach? (I'm assuming there is no cable/wire kit to be purchased) & how much was it? I'm really willing to pick one soon. Do you have before - after picture post installation? I'm 173cm tall.

2- Zana saddle stay & tray- eagerly waiting to see the pictures and mounting tips..
Old 16th September 2021, 17:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post

I have few Questions though-
1- OEM Handlebar risers which you picked- How much of a difference that makes in reach? (I'm assuming there is no cable/wire kit to be purchased) & how much was it? I'm really willing to pick one soon. Do you have before - after picture post installation? I'm 173cm tall.

2- Zana saddle stay & tray- eagerly waiting to see the pictures and mounting tips..
Thanks RRR... your post couldn't have come at a better time!! Finally got around to mount the 'Outlaw' saddle bag. Sharing the install & other pics in a follow up post.

For the 'Risers' my requirement was exactly as yours, the same stock cables should be usable. Coming from my old ride (RE 1986 model - customised for a cruiser riding position) I found the lean-in a tad too much on the stock handle bar setting. The Service head (Atul Kamath @ Shaman Triumph Mumbai) exactly understood my need and suggested the risers. Nothing fancy, just a block approximately an inch or so in height.

Speaking of height I am exact 173 cms too

Refer picture below:
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-risers1.jpg

Pls feel free to PM me if you want to source these from Mumbai!!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-risers2.jpg  

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-risers3.jpg  

GreaseMonkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 18:25   #34
BHPian

Adding Luggage accessories...

Finally got around to mount the Luggage accessories as follows:

Top Rack with baseplate (ZANA)
Saddle stays (Motone UK - Ordered from Motousher)
Saddle bag (Tripmachine)
Tank pouch (Tripmachine)

The Top Rack & Saddle stays mounting

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-rack-stay-install.jpg

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-rack-stay1.jpg

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-rack-stay2.jpg

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-rack-stay3.jpg

The Saddle bag mount - As per Tripmachine install video

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-saddlebag1a.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-saddlebag-2a.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-saddlebag-3a.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-saddlebag-stay-4a.jpg

Was not too happy with the exposed straps on the seat & also thought that it would bother the pillion (In my case would be the Mrs!!)

So decided to explore available options and use the rack & the saddle stays to the maximum potential:

The Saddle bag mount - Optimised

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-saddlebag-1b.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-saddlebag-2b.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-saddlebag-2c.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-saddlebag-2d.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-saddlebag-2e.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-saddlebag-final.jpg

The final result....

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-f1.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-f2.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-f3.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-f4.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-f5.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-f6.jpg

Yet to come.... Leather grips (Waiting for the rains to finally get over)!

Now that the accessories are mounted need to check how it fares on the rides.

As of now have ensured that there is a sizeable gap between the upswept exhausts, saddle stays are ensuring there will be no risk of contact with tyres while riding.

Hopefully will be updating shortly after some rides!! Till then... stay safe & ride safe !!
GreaseMonkey is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 21:20   #35
BHPian

Just a thought: When you load the saddle bags, there are chances that it will touch the exhaust and get damaged? Any redundancy for this? Will the heat from the exhaust damage the bottom of the bag? May be take a few rounds and then touch the bottom of the bag and feel it yourself?
wheeledwanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 23:01   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledwanderer View Post
Just a thought: When you load the saddle bags, there are chances that it will touch the exhaust and get damaged? Any redundancy for this? Will the heat from the exhaust damage the bottom of the bag? May be take a few rounds and then touch the bottom of the bag and feel it yourself?
Oh absolutely… that’s the one risk I need to figure out during the rides. The other one about friction with the tyre has been mitigated by saddle stays.

Will be carrying stuff in the saddle bags to see how it fares. One of the advantages of mounting it by running the straps over the seat is that it raises the resting position of the bag allowing for more gap between the exhaust and the bottom of the bag.

Will share my experience in the days to come.
Old 18th September 2021, 23:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledwanderer View Post
Good point. My friend was touring on his Interceptor and he loaded his saddle bags. They didn't touch but he forgot to top up his air and as his tyre pressure reduced his bags touched the exhaust and it burned right through them.
bf1983 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 20:01   #38
BHPian

Please be very carful in running through any strap under the ST seat the mounts are not strong and do break easily. As a former owner learnt this the hard way, with a pillion the seat flexes and the clearance we see with the seat taken off is eaten away specially with buckles and loops.
Bench seats costs a cool 30K!

the bag looks good, unsure of the clearance though. Ride safe.
adi_sun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 18:26   #39
RRR
BHPian

Hello guys, recently went on a BRATS ride from Bangalore to Dandeli. It was a 1000Km ride, we had Tigers, Street Triples, Speed Triple, Trident, few Street Twins, T120 & an amazing A3..

I was riding Street Twin, I must say it was so comfortable and bike was at ease through out the cursing speed of ~120. Twin is never in urgency to do anything, if you want it to do things faster, the monstrous Torque has your back!

Bike's ergo is tailored to fit my height (173cms) and there were no pressure points at all. I had used Oxford Cramp-buster for the first time based on my learning from the previous ride to Chikmagaluru, It was really a pleasant way to ride once you get a hang of it.
Rode Mode makes the bike more energetic on highways, since I wanted a lazy-ride feel, I was stuck to Rain mode for the most part and switching to Road whenever needed.

One problem though!!- Fuel Tank Size!! Damn, all our Twins, Triples & T120s were hunting for the Petrol bunks frequently. Given that Highways were smooth for the most part, gobbling up 200kms was easier & faster and the fact that the Reserve light comes on when Distance To Empty shows ~80 makes you more nervous, even though we know finding a pump wouldn't be tough!!

Had to do little off-roading before reaching the resort.TC & Rain Mode made our life easier there.

Over all amazing ride and felt really great about the bike, this trip has helped me gain so much confidence that I'm eagerly waiting for the next one!
RRR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 21:06   #40
BHPian

Update # 2 :
  • Saddle bag - User experience & learnings

Very functional for the usual trips around the city. Very useful to pack the bike cover.

As described above, the saddle bag can be mounted a) As advised by the Trip machine brand (straps over the seat) or b) self proclaimed (Optimised with straps below the seat)

For the Street Twin with the upswept exhausts the 'Optimised' is NOT advisable if you have a pillion riding with you. The reason being that the saddle bag almost touches the pipes & you risk it getting damaged.

So I stand corrected and would recommend it to be installed & used with the conventional mounting (straps over the seat). Now comes the question.. do the straps bother the pillion, well its relative!! (If the relative is the wife then yes it does). For all other relatives one can just ignore
  • New accessory installed - Leather grips

Finally with the rain gods having adequately blessed us & now hopefully retired to their abode, decided to install the grips.

Some pictures post the installation:

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-dsc06881.jpg

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-dsc06883.jpg

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-dsc06884.jpg

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-dsc06888.jpg

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-dsc06891.jpg

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-dsc06889.jpg

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-dsc06890.jpg
  • Leather grips - Install & User experience

Very easy & straight forward install.

Have ridden for almost 100 kms post the install in city & highway. Super smooth feel & great grip. Very soothing for the palms. Haven't had any issues with sweat as yet (at least in Mumbai weather).

Have an upcoming 250 kms odd ride coming up over the weekend. Will give an opportunity to have the experience of riding with gloves.

That's it for this round of update friends.... hope to be update pretty soon.

Currently research continues to find a 'Touring Wind screen', Triumph does have an official accessory (Part number - A9708510)

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-img_0415.png

But the same does not have any 'adjustment features' for height.

Early contenders are Givi - AF -49
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-img_4479.png

Puig & National cycles.

Challenge with all the non OEM brands is have not found any pictures or reviews from 'Street Twin' users!

So a huge shout out, if anyone has had any experience of them or friends having used any wind screens on the Street Twin, please do share. Will help a lot
GreaseMonkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 21:12   #41
BHPian

Your observation on the bag touching the pipes was absolutely 'on point'. Have mitigated it by running the mounting straps over the seat & thus raising the bag and increasing the clearance with the pipes! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 23rd October 2021, 09:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
So a huge shout out, if anyone has had any experience of them or friends having used any wind screens on the Street Twin, please do share. Will help a lot
Not on the Street Twin, but on my Bonnie. I would imagine the experience would not be much different. I have used the Dart Flyscreen and also the Triumph OE Touring screen on my Bonnie. I would say both are pretty useless when it comes to wind protection. Even with the large Touring screen I'm able to get wind and noise protection only if I crouch and no way in my normal riding position which is a shame. You would really need a huge one to offer you that kind of protection while riding in the normal position. So, I've gone back to my flyscreen as it at least gives it a good look.
So, before investing, I would suggest you try out some screens (if there is a possibility), as otherwise, it might end up being an unnecessary luggage either on the bike or at home. Couple of photos of my bike with the flyscreen and the Touring screen
Attached Thumbnails
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-fly1.jpg  

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-fly-2.jpg  

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-oe-1.jpg  

dinu2506 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 00:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Update # 2 :

Currently research continues to find a 'Touring Wind screen', Triumph does have an official accessory (Part number - A9708510)

Attachment 2222521

But the same does not have any 'adjustment features' for height.
Hi. Since you are looking for a windscreen, just wanted to pitch in with my experience. I added this same Triumph Touring screen in 2018. I repented it on the very next ride out of the city. At highway speeds, the buffeting on my helmet and the resulting wind noise ruined the ride for me. I took it off when I got home, and only put it back on in the winter months, when I use it with a screen extender to reduce buffeting. I like the way it looks, but functionally, a total waste of money.
Brocklock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 00:24   #44
BHPian

Update # 3 - 1000 kms completed - Experiences & Learnings

So finally the 1K mark crossed
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-img_4564-copy.jpg

The journey only gets better. As I look back from since it started around 4 months back till now, the progression from a 350cc Bullet to an almost litre class bike surely had some learnings for me. Not to forget the fact that getting back to riding after a gap of many years came with its own set of apprehensions.

For many like me who might be on the threshold of taking the plunge into upgrading into the litre class (may be also after a gap of few years) sharing my experiences & learnings

Mixed bag of emotions absolutely! It's like taking a stunner of a new girlfriend around the campus beaming with pride, but also worried whether you will measure upto her, then there is this fact that you like the attention she is getting from people around but you also worried that no one comes too close or becomes too curious. Damn it just plays on your mind when you have to park her and leave it beyond your line of sight. The heart fluttering till you return & find everything is still fine with the world.

As the time flows you ease into the whole experience & then start enjoying it smoothening the initial ruffles & butterflies in the stomach
  • The Mind block
As it happened with me, the riding experience in the initial 100 kms was completely jittery. Coming from 350 cc to 900 cc I had this whole 'extra power / torque' thing at the back of my mind and I was over mindful of going easy on the throttle, especially in stop/go situations like traffic. This resulted in an unsteady front end of the bike and the handle wobbling as my feet were paddling trying to maintain balance at very low speeds.

With time, started exploring and found the sweet spot which allowed the bike to be handled smoothly and start / go scenarios became smoother
  • The must haves

Investing in the safety accessories was a prudent decision as I did drop my bike ! That too was in a stop / go scenario with my wife as a pillion. The Engine guard gently bore the brunt and no damage done to the bike (Yes the wife too was unscathed)

So yes, as budgets do get stretched most of the times, give priority to the safety accessories.
  • Get to understand the braking behaviour

Coming from the normal 'drum' brakes to a Disk brake with ABS set up I was always getting a feeling of 'Underbraking' from the rear brakes. My old habit of rarely touching the front brakes needed to be 'un learnt'

Inputs from the always resourceful Mr. Kamath at Triumph service made me understand that the braking is configured at around 60% rear & 40 % front. So in order to have effective braking you have to engage the front brakes too. The most effective way is the 'Two finger' operation of the front brake lever. This gives you the optimal engagement with gentle pressure on the lever from just the 2 fingers. This for me has been the single most differentiating factor to enjoy the bike & inspire confidence in my riding there after
  • Moving thru the gears

Initially the gear shifts will feel 'chunky' and if you like me, it will be irritating. Explore the various modes that give you data on the display & try to see what rpm range gives you the smoothest shift. Trust me once your mind recognises the zone the shifting then just becomes intuitive. Also observed the smoothness after the 300 km oil / lube change.
  • Ride comfort

The stock seats are neither too soft nor too hard. In terms of riding comfort have experienced that the bum starts to feel the fatigue at around 2 hours of continuous riding. Also that limit also makes for a good time to take a break in a ride.

The stock suspension is slightly on the softer side (especially if with pillion)

The prescribed air pressure as per Triumph (2.2 bar/32 psi front & 2.5 bar/36 psi) was absolutely very soft. After experimenting have settled for 34 front / 40 rear

The Stock tyres have been pretty much bang on. As per Triumph the 'Medium Soft' compound has a road bias & should perform for 12 to 15k kms.

The 2 active riding modes (Rain / Road) were very useful. As such it was the rainy season. But the Rain mode can also be suggested to be useful if its a new bike you are moving too.

I had gone in for a 'Handle bar riser' which allowed for a better reach for me & eliminated the slight 'lean' that I sensed during my test ride. I am 5'9" and the new settings have been absolutely spot on with no shoulder fatigue even on longer rides & also allowing easy control on the handle in city traffic.

Last but not the least in terms of the comfort is the heat signature from the engine! I know i had especially mentioned it in the initial sections of the review. But it just grows on you & one does not really get bothered with it as you ride. Though riding in shorts is completely out of question.
  • Issues

In the 1000 kms done till now, did not really have any issues till date. In the first week had an Engine alert light, turned out to be a faulty 'Oxygen' sensor. 15 minutes at the work shop & it was re configured.

The Number plate mounting is done over the headlight and the more I look at the bike from front the more I want to shift it under the head light.

As with most bikers, the stock headlights seem to be underpowered. Have not had any night runs on the highway as yet though.
  • Performance of accessories
Let me address the biggest elephant in the room : Ceramic coating : Ok nothing will be a fool proof solution from scratches or micro scratches visually speaking at least. Yes it does offer a level of paint protection cause the scratch seems to be in the 'coating layer' & not on the body paint of the bike.

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-img_4566-copy.jpg
Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-img_4567-copy.jpg
Another thing, had it been a Glossy paint on the bike the scratch could be 'buffed' but on a Matte finish that's a complete no no as it would result in a glossy spot.

The 'Leather grips' have been the most aesthetically pleasing & functional, not to forget adds to the 'classic' looks

The Leather saddle bags are proving to be a work horse, useful to carry the bike cover & any other things you may want to put in it. The straps are strong & carry the load well.

The mini DIN to USB converter used with the auxiliary power socket is useful for charging the mobile on the go.
  • The 'Triumph experience'

Finally received the "Certificate of Authenticity" for the Limited edition bike. Would have loved if they could have mentioned the 'xxxxx/1000' number of the 1000 bikes that they have globally produced.

Review: My Triumph Street Twin Gold Line Edition-img_4578-copy.jpg

Couple of Interaction & coffee sessions with seasoned riders were arranged by the dealership (Shaman Motors) but I could not make it. to either

Over the past couple of weeks 2 weekend rides were arranged. Was able to enjoy the ride to Igatpuri / Vaitarna lake (280 kms total) last weekend. Overall a nice experience.

As always, any queries are most welcome! Till next time Ride Safe

Last edited by GreaseMonkey : 28th October 2021 at 00:43. Reason: Updated Pics
GreaseMonkey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:12   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post

Had to do little off-roading before reaching the resort.TC & Rain Mode made our life easier there.
Hey RRR,

When you say off-roading, what kind of terrain are you referring to? Was it just mild country roads sort of setup or like a proper trail? The reason I ask is because I had a really tough time with the Bonnie due to clearance. Especially road humps, let alone off road. I've already had 3 instances of the bike bottoming out (twice on unmarked speed humps and once on a jagged rock that was concealed in a pothole. I ended up with an oil leak all 3 times. Once was on my way to Kodaikanal from Bangalore. Happened about 80km away from Palani, in a tiny little village (thanks to Google Maps) and on a Sunday. Had just topped her up the night before. Almost every single drop had leaked out and the oil filter had gotten shaved off to a point where there was almost no nut left on the filter. Realised that the nearest option for Triumph spares is going to be Coimbatore at that point. Luckily 2 local lads who were enthralled by the Tiger and Bonnie went out of their way and brought us a mechanic. By then I spoke to Joe from Joe's Garage who maintains our bikes and he said that we could run the TVS engine oil (which was the only available in that 90-100km vicinity) once we sorted the filter issue. We patched her up with a ton of M Seal and continued the journey without any hiccups. But on the way back my brother was riding the Bonnie and he ended up bottoming out on pothole near the top of Satyamangalam ghat section and we again ended up with a complete oil leak. And since this was the following Sunday, we knew we won't get any help till we hit Mysore. We were exhausted and so arranged for a Tata Ace to take the bike straight to Joe's in Bangalore and continued our plan to hit Mysore.

But I still love the Bonnie. She's a 2013 and so comes with no electronic aids. An absolute hoot in the twisties, especially so if you're comfortable with the tail stepping out a little bit.(No ABS, no Traction Control, loads of torque thanks to a big bore kit and freer flowing full system TOR exhaust). The only downside in my eyes is the ground clearance. She tends to scrape even when the suspension is raised to the highest setting. Looking forward to put a strong bash plate. It does look like the new gen Bonnie's have better clearance but wanted to know if you've experienced something similar. Cheers! 🤘🏼
Reaper666 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed