Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 17:30   #1
BHPian

My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660

INTRODUCTION

Every boy dreams about their first bicycle, their first bike and their first car. This is the story of my first superbike.

Like everyone else in this forum, I have always been fascinated with automobiles right from a young age. Maybe it runs in the family. (my father owned a YEZDI ROADKING, KAWASAKI KB100). Nope I do not have any pictures of those bikes we did not own a camera.

Coming to my bikes, My first bike was a TVS apache rtr 180. Some would say it was a powerful bike back then. Yes everyone has to go step by step from 100cc to 150 cc and so on but I took the leap directly to 180cc. These days itseems like everyone starts with much more powerful bikes.

Have spent more than half the value of a new bike on modifications. Had changed the headlights first to a powerful halogen and then later something called angel lights which in turn became demon lights right now
Also believe it or not I also had a music system fitted to it.
Later on, when everyone else moved on to bigger biker and the need for power had begun to play in my mind. So i got the Apache Big Bore kit From NMW Bangalore. Though there was a noticeable increase in power it was not much.

My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-apache.jpeg

Couple of years later Benelli was launched in India, and so I went to go have a look. Fell in love with the TNT 300. Decided to go for it as i was not looking for a big weekend bike but more of a everyday powerful city bike. (Was not interested in Ktm as i wanted a more refined and unique bike)

As was I wanted to make it more unique, I had got a custom wrap done on it.

My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-whatsapp-image-20201118-10.27.05.jpeg
My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-whatsapp-image-20201118-10.27.05-2.jpeg

Coming to present decided to take the next leap and sold the Benelli as I just got bored of the bike and started looking for my next vehicle.

ALTERNATIVES

KAWASAKI Z650
KAWASAKI Z900
TRIUMPH STREET TRIPLE
SUZUKI GSX 750
Ducati Scrambler

I was not looking for a fully faired superbike and only naked and hence the above options.

The kawasaki was striked off the list because i simply did not like how it looked.
Ducati was an Italian exotic brand and cost of maintaining was too high for my liking.
The suzuki GSX was discontinued as it did not have a BS6 motor.

And so all my eyes were set on the Street triple R.
Around the same time the triumph Trident was unveiled and decided to wait for that as it was a more retro modern design with the old detuned street triple engine.

BOOKING PROCESS

November 2020 : the pre-bookings were opened for the trident and so went ahead and booked the bike even without seeing it in flesh and not knowing the prices as it was not yet announced, only because they promised to refund the booking amount if I changed my mind.

DECEMBER 2020 : The International first ride media event was organized by Triumph UK. After watching every single review on Youtube decided to go for it.

April 2021 : The Bike was officially launched in India and the prices were announced. 6.95 LAKHS EX- SHOWRROM. I was promised the delivery of my bike in few weeks as I was the first few who had booked the bike.

Around the same time, India had entered the second lockdown and every nonessential stores were shut.

Towards the end of April since the Logistic services were still open. The showroom representative called me to inform that my bike had arrived and I requested to be there while it was unboxed.

My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-unbox.jpeg

JUNE 2021 : The lockdown was partially lifted. And so finance paper work began and was still processing slowly because there was a partial lockdown.
Meanwhile i was asked to finalize the accessories if i wanted any.

Decided to go for the paddock spools and belly pan. Triumph Accessories are expensive.

THE DELIVERY

Completing the finance paperwork and after paying the balance amount. The bike was ready for rto formalities. I pushed for Delivery on July 1st as it was my Daughters Birthday.

JULY 2021 : Was told the bike would be ready for delivery by 4pm and I was there at sharp 4. Found one bike covered for delivery. But it was not my trident but infact the new 2021 Speed triple 1200. which was waiting for delivery but the customer was late.

They asked me to complete the delivery paperwork while they bring out my bike and prep for delivery.
They also gave the mandatory explanation of features on their test ride bike instead of my bike.

Finally i took the delivery of the bike and was really disappointed with Keerthi triumph as they did not even offer a complimentary keychain, Forget cake. Keerthi triumph was very stingy. Spending 4 lakhs on a maruthi and i would have got a list of gifts from chocolates to idols to pillows. Also inspite of paying for the belly pan in advance, they told me that they did not have stock of the belly pan during delivery. I have no idea why they asked me to pay if they dint have stock or at least could have informed before and not at the very last minute.

Decided to not spoil my mood and move on as I had just Bought my self a SUPER BIKE

My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-delivery-11.png
My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-delivery-4.jpeg
My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-delivery-dd.jpeg

1. Neo Retro design
  2. Riding Modes
  3. Superb Handling
  4. Refined Engine
  5. Triple Cylinder Exhaust Note
  6. Compact, Good for City
  7. 16000 KM Service Interval

DISLIKES

1. New Bike, Many glitches in software
  2. Cannot fit a slip-on on exhaust, stock exhaust has to be cut and welded
  3. Compact, No Superbike Feel
  4. Pillion is strictly for city rides

INTIAL REVIEW

The bike is definitely a hoot to ride as long as you don't ride other big bikes. it handles so well and the michelin tyres grip the road so well. There is a noticeable difference between the two riding modes (Rain, Road). The bike is 189kg wet and does not feel too heavy. The suspension is firm, it has no problem soaking up mild bumps. It is only in very bad patches of road you will find the need for a softer tune. The engine is smooth and feels very refined even in higher RPM.
The bike does run a little hot and hot air hits the left shin but its not unbearable. There is a mild vibration felt in the handlebars.

Trident has enough torque to be a city happy bike, frequent gear changes are not required and it is comfortable at 50kmph in 4th/5th gear. The gear changes are a little clunky hoping it will improve over time. The gearing ratio is short, many might not like it as it is 600 cc bike and one would expect more
The LED headlight set up from the factory is set a little too high. It blinds the on coming traffic, it has to be lowered. Once the headlight is lowered it is good enough for city and highways. Although I would still recommend additional pilot lamps for touring.

The turning radius is not the best and taking U-Turns requires a bigger radius. The seating ergonomics is set not too forward and one can say its perfect balance between sport and comfort. The seat height is not too high for a sports bikes and people who are short also would be comfortable riding this bike. But being a compact bike anyone above 6ft 2inch would look awkward in this bike.

The ground clearance is not the best but I have not scrapped once riding solo even in the highest bumps but with a pillion the bike scrapes every time even in smaller bumps. The pillion seat also is very small and is not going to very comfortable

The 14litre fuel tank is not the biggest but should be sufficient. The bike gives a mileage of 22-24kmpl under casual highway riding style and drops under spirited riding. The bike can easily do 300km in a full tank. The exhaust note is music to the ears, its loud enough for the city but in the open highway , one would like an aftermarket exhaust.

The bike has a break-in program in built and hence the rev limiter flashes at 4000 rpm for the first 500km and then 5000 rpm at 800km and the program is completed at 1600kms or 1000miles. The bike definitely opens up once each milestone is completed.

My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-ride-1.jpeg
My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-ride-2.jpeg
My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-ride3.jpeg
My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-ride-4.jpeg

The first service feels always the longest as there is an eagerness to complete it so that we can open the throttle more, unfortunately the Bangalore weather was chaotic and unpredictable forcing me to take the car more than the bike. But once the bike completed 1000km and the first service was completed , the bike feels much better. Its more smoother and it runs cooler. (the radiator kicks in early after a software update). They kept the bike for two full days for the first service which was surprising as they were only servicing 5-6 bikes each day.
The first service costed me around 7.5 - 8k.

After the first service the bike comfortably cruises at 140 and there is no strain felt in the engine. Higher speeds require an aftermarket screen as the wind blast is high. The temp gauge has not crossed 4 bars after the service, even in traffic.

ACCESORIES

I have still not got many accessories, just the paddock spools and a custom Radiator grill

My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-accesories-1.jpeg

Recently got a ppf done on my bike as one of my close friends runs a detailing studio and i got a pretty good deal.

My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-ppf-1.jpeg
My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-ppf-2.jpeg
My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-ppf-4.jpeg
My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660-ppf-3.jpeg

CONCLUSION

I am very happy with the bike so far. It just seems perfect for someone like me, who mainly uses it in the city and the occasional weekend getaway. Many advise that you cannot tour in this bike, but there are many who tour with a Honda Activa. So the bike cannot put a full stop to your Travel diaries but it should be the next chapter.

Last edited by Jhinchak : 20th September 2021 at 12:02.
Jhinchak is offline   (81) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 06:29   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
Old 21st September 2021, 07:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhinchak View Post

INTRODUCTION

Every boy dreams about their first bicycle, their first bike and their first car. This is the story of my first superbike.
Congratulations mate. I really like this bike and I am waiting for the Tiger 660 which is based on this motor. That will be a perfect partner for my Yamaha FZ6R. I personally do not see the need for anything bigger than that.
Mr.Ogre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 08:59   #4
BHPian

Congratulations!

The bike is beautiful and well proportioned! Looks really amazing!

I would not prefer having a very loud bike out on the highway as you will be riding for hours and your own bike can become too noisy for you.
Mafia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 09:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your bike, its a well written balanced review with the not so good things highlighted really well, this will really help the future buyers.

That engine is very nice and should keep you happy, wish you the very best and miles and miles of safe riding.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 10:49   #6
BHPian

Congratulations on the Trident, wishing you million happy miles on it.

I was under the same dilemma and had considered the same options while upgrading my motorcycle (Duke 390 - 2019). One swing over the Trident and I knew its not for me, apparently, there is a huge difference between the Duke and the Trident - on paper! Couldn't experience the thrill as such but yes, that sweet triple is forgiving, esp in the city.

Congrats once again!
EshanS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 11:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ogre View Post
Congratulations mate. I really like this bike and I am waiting for the Tiger 660 which is based on this motor. That will be a perfect partner for my Yamaha FZ6R. I personally do not see the need for anything bigger than that.

Yes agreed, unless you are going to use it for track or looking for more adrenaline, there is no need for a bigger bike.
Jhinchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 12:17   #8
BHPian

Hello,

Thanks for the review and congratulations on your first big bike! You'll never get that feeling again :-)

I have a few questions.
1. You mention software glitches - what exactly are the issues you've faced?
2. You mention that the temp gauge did not cross 4 bars after the first service. How many bars are there in total, and what were the temps like before the first service?
3. Just confirming, during break-in, the bike does not let you rev beyond 4-5k RPM or is it just a visual indication on the MID?

The fuel efficiency is really good if its 22-24kmpl. My 649cc ER-6n (parallel twin) returns around the same and I did not expect a triple to be this good. This figure will only go up as you clock some mileage.
ads295 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 13:38   #9
BHPian

I just like you have been following the trident since it's announcement and have been absolutely smitten by it. Not really convinced to spend the 9 big ones it's costing here in Kerala. Waiting on the tiger 660. That said. WHAT A BEAUTY! Congratulations to you on one cracker of a machine and wish you miles and miles of safe and happy riding. Do invest in good quality riding gear. Cheers!

Last edited by Maverick_4662 : 21st September 2021 at 13:44.
Maverick_4662 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 14:49   #10
BHPian

Congratulations! Super happy to see the mid size Triumph being widely appreciated! Triumph historically for me has been an out of reach brand in terms of daily riding. So this half a litre is definitely a breath of fresh air!

I didn't know the Trident 660 had any software. I thought it was a digital-analogue screen. Can you please elaborate on the same?
BennyA23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 16:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads295 View Post
Hello,

Thanks for the review and congratulations on your first big bike! You'll never get that feeling again :-)

I have a few questions.
1. You mention software glitches - what exactly are the issues you've faced?
2. You mention that the temp gauge did not cross 4 bars after the first service. How many bars are there in total, and what were the temps like before the first service?
3. Just confirming, during break-in, the bike does not let you rev beyond 4-5k RPM or is it just a visual indication on the MID?

The fuel efficiency is really good if its 22-24kmpl. My 649cc ER-6n (parallel twin) returns around the same and I did not expect a triple to be this good. This figure will only go up as you clock some mileage.

Thank you
1. Software glitches found are mainly in the bluetooth module, which is an addon accessory. There is some difficulty connecting the phone to the bike and sena to the phone. Also there is a feature where you can add your name to the screen and the bike greets you on start up. But this feature also does not work as of now.
2. There are 7 bars total. Before the 1st service it has reached 5-6bars.
3.Its just a visual indication. But I was told we cannot reach the redline as it would be locked. Did not try it so cannot confirm on this
Jhinchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 16:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyA23 View Post
Congratulations! Super happy to see the mid size Triumph being widely appreciated! Triumph historically for me has been an out of reach brand in terms of daily riding. So this half a litre is definitely a breath of fresh air!

I didn't know the Trident 660 had any software. I thought it was a digital-analogue screen. Can you please elaborate on the same?
There is no anologue. The screen is split into 2 and both are digital.The top half displays the fuel, speed, rpm and the gear. The second half displays the trip, temp guage, Menu to set the clock, rpm flashes , riding modes and Bluetooth settings etc. We can also turn off traction control through these settings.

There is some sort of software involved as it has a ECU and it requires some software to run the hardware. There is some hidden features like Trip auto reset, auto canceling indicators which auto cancels after certain distance covered.
Old 21st September 2021, 17:01   #13
BHPian

Congrats, and best wishes. I have been eyeing the Trident since the days it was announced for India launch.
I have a query regarding the exhaust note, when compared to something like the Benelli 600i, is it louder or similar, or just better than the 300i? I myself was a Benelli 300i owner too, but got really frustrated with pathetic service support during my ownership times. But I loved the exhaust note of both those machines.
Old 21st September 2021, 17:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Congrats, and best wishes. I have been eyeing the Trident since the days it was announced for India launch.
I have a query regarding the exhaust note, when compared to something like the Benelli 600i, is it louder or similar, or just better than the 300i? I myself was a Benelli 300i owner too, but got really frustrated with pathetic service support during my ownership times. But I loved the exhaust note of both those machines.
Yes Benelli service was bad. But I still don't think any bike can beat the tune of a benelli.
Coming to your question, I think the benelli 600i stock exhaust will still be slightly louder as it has twin exhausts. The trident is loud enough for city.
Jhinchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 21:34   #15

Wow, congratulations and best wishes. I've test drove Trident here in the UK recently, and I'm impressed. After riding Dominar for almost around 3 years, this feels very nimble and adequate. Waiting for Tiger 660, if priced well it will sell like hot cakes imho.

Lately, Triumph has been doing fairly good in India, Service and spare costs can be trouble, but overall the company is heading in a right direction.
hsingh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks