Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2007, 11:53   #1

Thinking of getting a Ducati..Help!!

Hello everyone! Just joined the forums after months of lurking.

Anyway decided to get a Ducati monster either the '03 620 Dark or the '05 S2R Red with white stripes but my only concern is for the 6000 mile servicing with needs valve adjustments and belt replacement (i'm sure I can handle the oil and filter change). Does anyone know of a qualified mechanic in Hyderabad who works and services Ducs?

Also to people how own Ducati..I was thinking of importing spare parts along with the bike so I wont have a hard time finding them in India. Aside from air/oil filters and maybe a chainbreaker what other parts/tools would you recommend?

Thanks!!
Old 1st June 2007, 12:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

Ok. My personal suggestion would be to dump the idea of the 620. Spending all that money and ending up with a 60hp machine is not worth the effort. The S2R is a bit better.

Yes, you are going to have a problem with the valve adjustments. If you are really keen on the Ducati, then bring down a service manual along with it. Also check if any special tools are required to carry out the job, and if so, bring those as well. With the knowledge and the right tools, it should not be a problem for a skilled technician.

I've never owned a Ducati (nor would I given the budget), but I would bring down a set of friction plates as well. The dry clutch on the Duke's would be particularly vulnerable in our hot summers. Also take the opportunity to bring down a chain/sproket set, fork seals and the caliper seal kit, as these items (specially the latter two) will be needed for sure.
Old 1st June 2007, 12:19   #3
BHPian

I used to own one of the earlier generation ducs, a 900 SS, in the US. I guess it was a simpler machine than the current ones. I didn't have any service/maintenance related issues during the 3-4 years of ownership. I did all the regular maintenance myself (which were very easy) but not valves. The duc club used to swear by a video of a "how to" for valve adjustments, though I haven't used it.

Tyres lasted only 3000 to 3500 miles though and they were expensive.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 1st June 2007, 13:25   #4
BHPian

am also thinking of getting ducati, how much you paying as a landing price inclusing registeration.
Wadhwa Ajay
Old 1st June 2007, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
......... Does anyone know of a qualified mechanic in Hyderabad who works and services Ducs?...........
did you say hyderabad?????

would like to check your ride when you buy it

BTW, where are you buying this from???

I once happen to see a red SBK in king koti while driving. ( it looked like a yamaha R1)

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 1st June 2007 at 13:43.
Old 1st June 2007, 14:15   #6
BHPian

which one you are planning to get? the ducatis are fantastic bikes. check if their desmodromic system requires special care.
Old 1st June 2007, 14:49   #7
BHPian

Hi Spartan,
there was an Monster 600 for sale long time back...
make sure u check the papers before buying it...
the one i saw was without papers, well it had papers but the previous ower didnt give the paper to the new one as there was some Goof up done by this new owner so he didnt give the papers...

so make sure it has proper papers...

heard that the bike is parked in some Flats in Banjara hills...
Old 1st June 2007, 19:36   #8

Thanks for the input fellas!

Rtech, come to think of it does make more sesnse not to get the 620 and also the S2R800 has a wet slipper clutch I believe. The S2R1000 is what I really want though, with the adjustable Showa forks and love how the dry clutch sounds. Also why no love for Ducati? They are pretty reliable these days,especially the fuel injected Monsters after 02(?). Do you think it the dry clutches would inevitably crap out?

Also what tires do you guys recommend for Indian roads? I like the Michelin Pilots(180/55-17 rears 120/60 fronts) on American roads. BTW how is the traffic in Hyderabad these days?

Havnt decided yet where to buy it yet. I'll prolly be moving back in about a month so I dont know if I want to buy one here get used to it and then ship it or buy it somewhere closer to India and save on shipping. Honestly I dont even know what the prices are outside the US, but if I get the 05 S2R1000 its going to cost me around Rs.850,000.
Old 2nd June 2007, 10:38   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan
Also why no love for Ducati?
Hey, I like Dukes! Don't get me wrong. I love the 1098! But, if I were spending my own money and could only have one bike in my garage, it wouldn't be a Ducati.

Since you are open to buying used, look a bit harder and I'm sure you can find a 1000! Now that would be worth the hassle of importing it!
Old 5th June 2007, 04:46   #10
BHPian

I would not recommend picking up the 620. Since its an out of production model, you will have a really hard time getting any spare parts. That is the biggest problem of Ducati. I have a 05 749, and it spends 3 months out of 1 year in a garage (this being the USA), because parts are in very short supply.

Get a 695 (the next model. it got released in late 05-06). Also, I think that there are a few mechanics in Chennai and Mumbai who can fix/repair Ducati engines.

If you import a 620/695 into India, definitely make sure that you find somebody who can do good electrical work. Ducatis have the most horrible electrical and computer management systems (they need to outsource their software part to India).
Every 6000 miles, a check engine light/spanner sign comes up on the dashboard which cannot be switched off, until you take it to a dealer who has a ducati diagnostic system (DDS). Although the light remaining on causes no issues, I have heard from very few people that sometimes the onboard electrical system starts screwing up.

Also, their coolant systems need special care. make sure that if you are getting the engine coolant refilled, keep it at the minimum mark. If you overfill, the lines get jammed and your bike starts overheating.

Other than that, its a great bike, so you will enjoy a lot. Just make sure that your mechanic knows what he is doing else you will be spending a lot of time with your Ducati as a metal artwork in the garage.
Old 9th June 2007, 00:41   #11
BANNED

Hi .PM me

Might be able to help you out
Old 9th June 2007, 01:46   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Ok. I would bring down a set of friction plates as well. The dry clutch on the Duke's would be particularly vulnerable in our hot summers. Also take the opportunity to bring down a chain/sproket set, fork seals and the caliper seal kit, as these items (specially the latter two) will be needed for sure.
You can save yourself from all this trouble, and a few Rs/$ by looking at Japs. I have bought 3 bikes in the US, and each time I have looked at buying a Ducati. The potential issues that I may have to face simply dont convince me to go ahead. The electrical problems on European cars and bikes are very common. (talking about used ones). They do run for couple years without issues. Japs run twice as much. (major generalization here)
Dont get me wrong, they are great bikes. But you can get Japs for the same price, and keep them running for ever without having to do any major engine work/maintenance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks