Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:19   #16
BHPian

Brilliant bike and what an amazingly detailed review! thanks for that journey you took us on. I own a tiger 1050 (pre sport) and it's nice to see how far triumph has come in adopting modern tech on their bikes!

I must say though a marriage that is threatened by purchase of a motorbike (assuming you didn't spend from hers or a joint account) is not a sign of a good marriage in the first place . At least you can cry off road on a bike like this haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerspiff View Post
I saw a tiger in my apartment and basically had accepted that I will never be able to ride it. I'm 5'6". Your post gives me hope!

Are you able to reach the ground with both your feet? Is some planning required before coming to a stop ?
I'm 170 cms tall and I ride a tiger 1050 with 835mm seat height (and wide seat too) no worries. I did get a lowering kit which is yet to be installed but I've put several thousand miles on the tiger already while only dropping it twice at 0kmph on inclined U turns. My thanks to the crash guards.

All Tigers from 800-1200 are top heavy but all of them eminently rideable by the vertically challenged like us. The 800 has a 810mm setting as described which may be much more to your advantage. I say swing a leg on one, you may be surprised how easy it is to ride, especially once you are past 5kmph!

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd June 2022 at 12:35. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
shankarbn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:29   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: 2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx | Long-Term Review (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Axe77, you have elucidated your Tiger 800 journey in a manner that is both highly entertaining and informative.
Thank you Neil. Coming from you, that means a lot. Your posts on all things motorcycles and motorcycle gear are some of the most insightful I encounter on the forum.

Quote:
My only suggestion would be to get that side stand extender. It will make your life so much easier! Both the Tiger 800 bikes that I know, have it installed and the riders dont have to think twice while parking anywhere. I, on the other hand, have to search for a stone to place under the side stand, if the terrain is not very solid.
Trust you to come with a bang-on-point observation from such a long review. You are absolutely right - a side stand extender is perhaps the only important accessory I can think of that’s missing.

One of the reasons I haven’t gotten around is I don’t want to blindly pick it up - it’s something I’d choose very carefully. There are some extenders that make the bike stand uncomfortably upright and increase tip over risk. I want to choose one that keeps the lean angle as close to the stock stand as possible.

Small pro tip (acquired from Vijay sir at XplorEarth): On uneven surfaces or specially something like sand, place your glove under the stand. Creates a stable base and a natural and stable extender.

Quote:
Also, huge congratulations on your Multistrada 1200S! That was very unexpected, to say the least. I test rode a Multi 1200S on behalf of a friend, recently. Frankly speaking, I was blown away by the motorcycle. The perception that you have of the Multi 1200S and the actual experience of riding it, are worlds apart. Hopefully you will put up an ownership thread of the Multi 1200S, so that we can learn from your experiences with this Italian beast.
Haha - trust me it was as unexpected for me too. Thanks for the kind words I hope to find the time to put a more specific review up as well. Want to get a certain minimum number of miles and experience on it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Very well written and detailed review mate! I too attended CSS and remember you with your Tiger!
Wish you loads of miles and anime memories!
That’s lovely. Maybe put up a pic from CSS if you’re ok and I’ll make the connection. I’m going to track for the second time in the near future, this time taking the Multistrada with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerspiff View Post
I saw a tiger in my apartment and basically had accepted that I will never be able to ride it. I'm 5'6". Your post gives me hope!

Are you able to reach the ground with both your feet? Is some planning required before coming to a stop ?
I cant flat foot both feet but can toe / ball of feet both. The better approach usually is to have one solid foot on the ground. Regardless of height, with a heavy ADV, one should always be mindful while coming to a halt to road slant, road surface (slippery vs firm) etc. In no time this becomes second nature and muscle memory activity. I would highly recommend watching a recent video on Powerdrift on short riders and taller bikes. It lays down all the essentials beautifully. Lastly, ditch the fear that you may drop the bike. That’s OK! Happened to me a few times when I was newer on the bike but since then its only really happened in extreme off Tarmac situations. Never in everyday riding.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 13:17   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

Trust you to come with a bang-on-point observation from such a long review. You are absolutely right - a side stand extender is perhaps the only important accessory I can think of that’s missing.
And possibly the cheapest

Quote:
Small pro tip (acquired from Vijay sir at XplorEarth): On uneven surfaces or specially something like sand, place your glove under the stand. Creates a stable base and a natural and stable extender.
A flat stone works as well, especially if your gloves are from klim and cost 17k lol. I just look around quickly for a nice flat piece of stone to keep under the side stand to give it more surface area to spread the weight of the bike.

Quote:
I cant flat foot both feet but can toe / ball of feet both. The better approach usually is to have one solid foot on the ground.
Perfect. And the way to do this is to stick your hip out on to the side of the foot you want as the "solid foot on the ground", and therefore your bum moves out as well, and voila you lean the bike ever so slightly towards the solid foot and you have a solid footing. Which ever foot you rest on, make sure your bike is running and always on first gear so you can slip the clutch and get off the line if you feel footing is insecure.

Don't ask me how I found out...

Loved all your pictures man.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 13:54   #19
BHPian

Lovely review and even better prologue - especially the one about getting home permission. I waited 34 years before I got my first big bike which was a Z900. Then came the Versys 1000, which also had a story behind it. And happy to say that after almost 30k kms of riding on the two of these bikes, the home minister actually pushed me into booking my third.

At this point, I am not at liberty to say anything more, but rest assured there entire story will be up here as soon as I take delivery.
krishsreedharan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 17:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Wonderful review. Question. Did you spray paint this panel red or did you get it from triumph? (800 XC SE has the panel in red). Want to change the color of it on my bike as well.
punterccrx8s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 17:24   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
but rest assured there entire story will be up here as soon as I take delivery.
Thank you and look forward to the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Question. Did you spray paint this panel red or did you get it from triumph? (800 XC SE has the panel in red).
Thank you.

I got it painted in red (and subsequently yellow). More detailed bits in the post below for ready reference.

Quote:
Cosmetic changes to the bike over the years

Both visual iterations were carried out by Zubin at SuperCar Club Garage. The beak, the panel behind and the panel below are painted. Some of the other areas are stickers - for instance the red / yellow wheel highlights; the 800 in yellow; side pannier map etc.

The 3M stickering on the top box and the side panniers are carefully thought through. The rear facing side is red, akin to the stop light, the forward facing ones are silver / white (akin to headlights); and the side facing ones are yellow.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd June 2022 at 17:28.
Old 3rd June 2022, 20:33   #22
BHPian

Nice writeup, Axe77, and congrats on the dream garage you have there. Thanks for that bit about the non refundable deposit. It will surely become useful some day.
Grimlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 21:22   #23
BHPian

Wonderful writeup!, Any future plans to buy the street triple and get a 3 bike garage?
dheer4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 00:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

It'd be remiss to go without reading this wonderful tale of experience. Axe77 this is how you axe it, simple, concise and highly informative. "Definitely not a married man's prequel" If it were my case this would definitely be inscribed on my epitaph.

One point though I'd love to make is, carry a small piece of thick suede leather with you in case you ever had to venture to off beat places. A glove is indispensable and it wouldn't make prudence to ground a glove just to keep something stable. I definitely wouldn't consider this a pro tip. With suede and the grains, it offers better grip and lasts way longer than drilling a hole in a glove, irrespective of how costly they are. My two cents worth.

Tastefully gathered gear setup, especially the Gaerne boots, and I would strongly recommend a KLIM dual sport helmet, taking into account you have wind noise with your Leatt.

Ride on!

Cheers!
VJ
Old 4th June 2022, 01:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautifully written and you are definitely putting the bike to it's paces. The multi is a brilliant addition too, wish you many years of happy and safe riding!!
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 02:47   #26

Congratulations on all of your beautiful purchases! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this write up and wish you safe and happy kilometres with these capable machines.
Also, was the Multi owned by a certain journalist?
Old 4th June 2022, 06:29   #27
Team-BHP Support

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post
Wonderful writeup!, Any future plans to buy the street triple and get a 3 bike garage?
Thanks. If I ever go the three garage way, the second bike will likely be a light off-roader, like an X Pulse / 310 GS / Honda 300 CRF etc.

If a street / supersports style of bike ever comes in, it will likely "replace" the MTS 1200. Unlikely I'll go in that direction unless there's a track like Nanoli that comes up right in our backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
One point though I'd love to make is, carry a small piece of thick suede leather with you in case you ever had to venture to off beat places. A glove is indispensable and it wouldn't make prudence to ground a glove just to keep something stable.
I haven't ever had to do this yet btw - it was just something mentioned to us in the passing by Vijay sir. Specially for sand actually.
Great suggestion - coincidentally I do carry a large cut out of a tyre patch all the time in my Kriega. I had bought that though more to create small cutouts for a base on many handle mounts.

Quote:
Tastefully gathered gear setup, especially the Gaerne boots, and I would strongly recommend a KLIM dual sport helmet, taking into account you have wind noise with your Leatt.
Thanks. The Leatt is worne really rarely now. Even when I wore it during off roading at Panchgani, I actually rode down in my Schuberth. The Schuberth is my "go to" full time helmet now for most rides, including for Spiti this entire coming week, I'm no longer a fan of helmets without a peak although the Klim dual sport (as well as Arai XD4) are great dual sport helmets.

If I buy any helmet going forward, it will be a proper full face Arai whenever I travel abroad - that too if I take to this track thing and see myself doing a few of them a year maybe. I bought a used Arai just now in a pinch because its all I could get in my size for an upcoming track day and none of my helmets are permitted on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irajput View Post
Also, was the Multi owned by a certain journalist?
It was with Ducati Mumbai as part of an upgrade by an existing owner and all my interactions and dealings were exclusively with Ducati Mumbai (which team was utterly fantastic I have to say). But yes, the previous owner was a journo.
Old 4th June 2022, 07:22   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

And good tip on the Leatt. I was actually wondering if i should have bought one before the helmet embargo - good, i saved some heart burn.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 08:32   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
And good tip on the Leatt. I was actually wondering if i should have bought one before the helmet embargo - good, i saved some heart burn.
Its fit enough and perfectly fine for its intended purpose which is hitting trails or off-roading. Having had more experience I actually recently rode with the C4 Pro to Panchgani and kept the Leatt in the top box during one of my trips just for the local off road training.

Its just that when the a ride involves trails as well as highway speeds it has two issues:

# If you’re on the intercom with your riding mates, the wind noise makes it very difficult to converse at highway speeds - same if you’re listening to music - its virtually inaudible;
[Fair disclosure: Note that my observations on noise insulation are also coming from a very high default benchmark since the Schuberth C4 Pro is REALLY silent.]

# There is a bit of neck whiplash that can happen at higher speeds. I never faced this in my previous Schuberth E1, an adventure touring helmet which also sports a peak - principally because I believe the vents on the peak were very well designed. I expect helmets like the Klim Krioss / ARAI ADX4 etc to also sport similarly well designed peaks. The whiplash experience were mostly at fast highway speeds - to a point where I unscrewed and packed up the peak on my final long highway ride back to Jaipur at the end of Tiger Trails Rajasthan.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th April 2023 at 21:16. Reason: Minor typo
Old 4th June 2022, 09:52   #30
BHPian

Great review, Axe77!

Being caught up in a multitude of decisions to make namely, buy a big bike or home first, which big bike Versys/CB500/CBR650R/Ninja1000/Tiger 850, buy it now or later(only weekends can be spent out of home due to wfh) and at the same time save the marriage and not being kicked out of house for spending 10-15Lakhs on a bike, your thread came at the wrong time for me It is, for sure, testing my patience and rationality regarding bike purchase. Normally rationality takes a back seat in case of bike purchases.

The discussion on marriage gave a good chuckle. Anyway, it is a great comprehensive review for anyone planning for a Tiger, even newer gen Tigers.

Right, let me see till when I can hold on and not 'inform' about that non-refundable booking I will make For now, rationality is overpowering the itch, so home purchase it is.

Thanks for sharing!
amods is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks