Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 10:48   #16
BHPian

We can get more news from Tectrac, since he is from the actual Yamaha Tuner Company. What say guys??? can anybody contact him...
Old 19th June 2007, 19:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia
which means a landing price of almost 10Lacs here,
Unlikely. Yamaha would be smart to not go the CBU route and bring in the bikes as SKD's at least; which would attract 25% duty (per kit) as opposed to 156% for CBU.

Wait & watch.
Old 19th June 2007, 21:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Unlikely. Yamaha would be smart to not go the CBU route and bring in the bikes as SKD's at least; which would attract 25% duty (per kit) as opposed to 156% for CBU.

Wait & watch.
Would the bikes need to be homologated if Yamaha is bringing them as SKD? For some reason I thought that homologation is applicable only to CBUs.
Old 20th June 2007, 00:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Good question on the homologation, though someone has said they're already testing the R1 in India.
Old 21st June 2007, 17:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

All cars/bikes have to undergo homologation before official launch. The advantage in case of SKD's are that only a batch of the intended sales/prod model have to go through ARAI testing. If the test mules pass homologation, the manufacturer can sell the bikes on a regular basis...individual testing not required...

Another plus is that the R1 could come in significantly cheaper...it retails for about 11K USD OTR, which means cheaper than 6L, if Yamaha plays its card right; else, the company wouldn't have anything additional to offer from our usual importers besides warranty...and loyalty is a big factor in this niche market...
Old 21st June 2007, 19:47   #21

i heard that they were charging harley davidson around 60% duty..and with sum special tax the total amount of tax and duty comes to 100%..so i reckon its the same for yamaha..so the bike should be otr for around 11 with dealer backup
Old 22nd June 2007, 01:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

I hope not man , 11 l is atleast 4 times what I can afford .
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
All cars/bikes have to undergo homologation before official launch. The advantage in case of SKD's are that only a batch of the intended sales/prod model have to go through ARAI testing. If the test mules pass homologation, the manufacturer can sell the bikes on a regular basis...individual testing not required...
That's good input. Thanks for sharing that.

Quote:
Another plus is that the R1 could come in significantly cheaper...it retails for about 11K USD OTR, which means cheaper than 6L, if Yamaha plays its card right; else, the company wouldn't have anything additional to offer from our usual importers besides warranty...and loyalty is a big factor in this niche market...
I sincerely hope that they bring R1 in as SKD as opposed to CBU. Even if they bring it in as CBU, I see the following Pros of buying it from company as opposed to importers

- Peace of mind. You know you are getting a brand new bike and nobody is cheating you
- Warranty
- Ability to get repairs done from company

I would think that the above advantages are significant enough to buy it from company as opposed to importers but then I have never ventured in this arena (of owning a superbike) so I don't really know how things work there.
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:36   #24
BHPian

Hondadude: your right on with the points, but i guess that would only matter firstly if it is priced right. If your getting your bike cheaper from the importer than the company say a difference of about a 50k or 75k or even a Lakh, then one still be buying form the company.

new bike : Uh, that point is true, cos the so called importers or dealers in our country would surely look to make money and try to sell you a little used bike as a new bike, but yeah there are differences in dealers too. Some would want customer satisfaction rather than only filling pockets.

A.S.S.: we have good mechanics by whom our superbikes swear by.(Example Johnny Uncle), who can give us a good service.

I think everything will fall in place only if Yamaha Puts the Right Sale price for their Bikes. What say?

Correct me if i am wrong PLEASE
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
- Ability to get repairs done from company
Don't count on it, for proof ask anyone who bought an Aquila/Comet from Kinetic thinking they'll get good service & easy spares. They got none

There will be very few Mechanics/Service Centres trained to deal in such bikes & they'll have very few spares in stock, most of the stuff will have to be ordered on demand. Atleast that's what has happened till now, maybe Yamaha can change this trend but it's an unlikely scenario.
Old 24th June 2007, 16:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Even the 600cc R6 from Yamaha is all I have been asking for.

The pricing should be under 3L if they want to have any decent sales... however thats not going to happen... Its gonna be about 6-6.5L for sure .

Any confirmed reports what the R1 would be priced at?

As for service, that should be least of your worries... for those of you going to put over 5L on a bike... just go to your local > Joes Garage >> Uncle Johnnies >> or pathindhars...

Meaning every big city has a good garage which can take care of these superbikes, they even have contacts in bangkok to get spares for reasonable rates.

Superbikers am I right?
Old 24th June 2007, 19:36   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

This is really an awesome news. The iconic R1 to be launched in india to resurrect yahama's image. Any news on when it start selling and for how much as we all can only guess it sounds hard that it will be available for anything less than 6L
Old 25th June 2007, 00:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Keep an eye out for the Yamaha ad with the red and white R1 and the Black MT-01.... They even started advertising.. so could be within 6 months..

If anyone of you saw my intro into t-bhp.. you would have seen the R1 on the dream list and any 600+ bike on the Wanted list...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...bie-alert.html

Time to start saving for the R1 boys.
Old 25th June 2007, 09:32   #29
Team-BHP Support

I heard something which I hope, really hope, is not true. The official litre class bikes will sell for a price close to 14 lakhs!

....bah!
Old 25th June 2007, 11:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I heard something which I hope, really hope, is not true. The official litre class bikes will sell for a price close to 14 lakhs!

....bah!

If this is indeed true (and like Rtech, I pray that it isn't) then the Funduro (F650) episode will most likely repeat itself......lacklustre sales.

Ideally, as a potential buyer, if an R1 were to cost me Rs. 8 - 9 lakhs in the "imports" (grey) market (dont forget, that there is a sizeable mark-up or premium there too), then I should not mind paying a premium of max. 15 - 20% over that price.....for the peace of mind related to papers, *** and availability of finance / spares.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks