Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2007, 09:18   #121
BHPian

Yes as thats probably the easiest,fastest and the cheapest method to get a bike.
Old 19th August 2007, 12:29   #122
Senior - BHPian

i think to get the common man to get introduced to the big bike sceene companies should bring in the 400's and 600's. bajaj has just got in the 220. it would be a jump for alot of people straight from a 220 to a 1000cc. maybe a gradual aproach would be benificial to the companies and to the novice with the money to spend. 1000cc bikes are meant for experienced riders the companies should understand that. guys get ready to witness alot more accidents on the roads.
Old 19th August 2007, 12:51   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Yep they are safer. Tho I get blood pressure in the city in the City. I zip past most what-would-otherwise-be-bottlenecks on the bike.
And riding in the rain is one of the small pleasures of life I'd rather have. Getting drenched is part of the fun
Well put zenx... I agree partly with you. @Godfather I agree that for 11L a CIVIC is more value for money, however zenx and me are of a slightly different school of thought that the satisfaction you get of getting past traffic on a bike is something that surpasses almost everything else in life.

I thoroughly enjoy my RIDE to office and back. I HATE the DRIVE to office.

Back to the essence of the topic and to summarize.

IMPO!
11L - R1 NOT VFM
11L - Civic VFM
6L - R1 - VFM
4L - R6 - VFM (for this package I would take a vehicle loan right now)

Maybe we should have a poll for the right price for a superbike / Sports bike and show poll results to Honda / Yamaha / Suzuki who are selling 125 and 150cc currently.

11L - R1 - VFM ?
8L - R1 - VFM ?
6L - R1 - VFM ?
6L - R6 - VFM ?
4L - R6 - VFM ?

Adding a Honda Civic to the list would only make it a Bike VS Car poll
Old 19th August 2007, 13:43   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
1000cc bikes are meant for experienced riders the companies should understand that. guys get ready to witness alot more accidents on the roads.
Well said. Its sad that the largest capacity bike after our run-of-the mill 100 to 220 ccs is 1000 cc, and then 1700 cc. (Enflield lovers - Bullets not included here)

These are not bikes meant for just about anyone to ride on - you have to be used to driving progressively faster bikes before you hit the litre class.

Unfortunately we do not have such rules - learn to ride on a badly maintained Hero Honda CD 100 that will hardly push 40 kmph, get a license, and buy an R1.

God knows there are enough kids around with parents doting enough to buy them these toys - you're going to see a lot more accidents soon. Unless there is a separate superbike license required to ride these bikes.

I learnt the hard way - I've dropped 3 of the "superbikes" I've ridden in the first few hours, purely for want of experience in handling them.
Old 19th August 2007, 14:27   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
IMPO!
11L - R1 NOT VFM
11L - Civic VFM
6L - R1 - VFM
4L - R6 - VFM (for this package I would take a vehicle loan right now)
Bingo. I hope one of Bajaj/TVS is listening in and we get a decent 400 in a year at 1.75-2.25L Bike loan pucca in which case. Given how rapidly they've been improving - I'm sure these will be very practical bikes.

OTOH, anything that does 120 comfortably, can cruise at 100 all day and shoots to 140 if needed, is all I need. A good 400 would more than suffice, but a smartly built 250 or so might do the trik too. Of course, need lesser vibes, and wayyyy better service than is by and large available.
Old 19th August 2007, 16:24   #126
Senior - BHPian

If a person who doesnot believe in buying 2nd hand bikes wants to upgrade from a 220cc Pulsar, he will have no other option then to buy a 1000cc bike thanks to Governments stupid rules, next we will hear cars above 8000cc can be imported with lesser duty
Old 19th August 2007, 20:10   #127
Senior - BHPian

Hm. Let's pray that someone somewhere is taking note of all that's been happening. If Yamaha has actually done any market research, they might perhaps take note and maybe, just maybe, launch the R1, if not the MT, at a cheaper price.

I have an idea, regarding the pricing of litre-class bikes. Why don't all the manufacturers chip in for a small track, and ask potential buyers to clock lap timings on progressive bikes, starting from 200cc, through 1000. Those who prove that they can handle the biggies, can take their dream machines home at attractive prices, with perhaps a generous dollop of finance assistance, for the needy, of course.

Perhaps this move could seperate the enthusiasts from the boys, and help any true blooded rider get that much closer to living his dream...

I hope Suzuki launches the Gixxer by 09'. I don't care if I have to break the bank. I'll get one for sure. 223cc just about cuts it as a daily rider, so one should be comfortable with a litre for those sundays.....
Old 20th August 2007, 01:21   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post

I have an idea, regarding the pricing of litre-class bikes. Why don't all the manufacturers chip in for a small track, and ask potential buyers to clock lap timings on progressive bikes, starting from 200cc, through 1000. Those who prove that they can handle the biggies, can take their dream machines home at attractive prices, with perhaps a generous dollop of finance assistance, for the needy, of course.

Perhaps this move could seperate the enthusiasts from the boys, and help any true blooded rider get that much closer to living his dream...
but the manufacturers would hire a track and check people for what they are capable of handling it would take months. you would have the whole world there to test the bikes.
best would be to issue a superbike license. give discounts to people with these licenses and better finance schemes. they could start with the 400cc and 600cc and if you already own a superbike then you get the 1000cc and above bikes.
saves everyone the hassle.
Old 20th August 2007, 10:39   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg
Yes as thats probably the easiest,fastest and the cheapest method to get a bike.
And it is also illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy
i think to get the common man to get introduced to the big bike sceene companies should bring in the 400's and 600's.....it would be a jump for alot of people straight from a 220 to a 1000cc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
These are not bikes meant for just about anyone to ride on - you have to be used to driving progressively faster bikes before you hit the litre class.
Well, the pricing clearly dictates that not everyone will get to ride these bikes anyway. Yes its better to start small and move up the ladder, you learn a lot more in the process. However when you look at it from a business point of view, it costs almost the same to bring in a 600cc and a 1000cc (cheaper now for the 1000 due to the changes in laws). So if a person is given a choice to buy a 600cc bike at around 10 lakhs, and a 1000cc bike at 12 lakhs, I'd say almost all would put in the extra 2 lakhs for the liter class bike.

We cannot blame the manufacturers here. The restrictive Govt. policies basically dictate what they can and cannot sell. I'm sure if we had sensible duties and import policies, each one of them would only be more than happy to sell their entire range of bikes to us.

Quote:
God knows there are enough kids around with parents doting enough to buy them these toys - you're going to see a lot more accidents soon. Unless there is a separate superbike license required to ride these bikes.
There are already enough kids with brand new 1000cc bikes around. If you have ever ridden with our desi sbk'ers in India, you will realise that they are far more responsible on the road than the gangs of riders on their RX100's and Pulsars doing crazy stuff and riding like lunatics in the middle of the city.

Its similar to driving a Ferrari on our streets. Just because you have the power and handling doesn't mean you drive like a nut every time. Infact the fear of having so much more to lose would probably rein you in more than anything!

Quote:
I learnt the hard way - I've dropped 3 of the "superbikes" I've ridden in the first few hours, purely for want of experience in handling them.
That may or may not have anything to do with the bike! Gravel on the road is the same for any 2 wheeler.

Speaking purely from our member base here and the people I know, Manson and Dippy's brother both started riding on 1000cc machines. They are doing just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron
get real! These guys are running a business. How come we don't have this hue and cry when Ferrari, Porsche or Lamborghini launched in India? An out of control bike is far less dangerous than 1 ton of metal heading straight for you.

Look, Yamaha are simply importing their bikes here to make a statement. It's obvious they are not seriously looking at the CBU sector. Hopefully Honda or Suzuki may take it a bit more seriously when they launch their bikes. But till the Govt. wakes up, and our own home grown companies stop putting pressure on the Govt. to keep the restrictions on imports, we are not going to get anywhere far.
Old 20th August 2007, 11:36   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Firstly, even if there will be such a license, rest assured it will be bought

Then again, cmon. Even a college dude with a Toyota Camry (~22L) doesn't get half as much attention as one on a SBK even if its a 600 costing one third!! Its more cost effective show off. So, there will be enough rich kids buying it.

As for accidents, it takes a fall from 40-50kph without helmets, and about twice that speed (with helmet) to kill someone. Something our pulsars are eminently capable of.

Its not the cubes between the legs, but the head above that matters.
Problem is, its perenially been in short supply

Last edited by phamilyman : 20th August 2007 at 11:38.
Old 20th August 2007, 12:12   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Firstly, even if there will be such a license, rest assured it will be bought
Bingo, i have heard of many 16 year kids with license, needless to say they were bought.
Old 20th August 2007, 14:51   #132
Senior - BHPian

my first bike was a 900 and thats what i learnt on and have'nt killed myself yet. thats because i had my head on my shoulders. if you see some of the kids today who purely would like to buy the bikes to impress the women and immitate stunts shown in movies like biker boyz, would do alot of damage. you might have the money but what use is it if you loose your life or remain bed ridden for life. i would also like to add that accidents happen when least expected. a car banged my friend when he was parked and haveing a glass of juice.
there should be some kind of criteria (which would never be followed) to buy the bikes maybe not sold to someone who has a newly aquired liscence. just a thought dont hang me for it. i know everything can be bought and if you have the money to spend and no manufacturer is going to refuse a sale.
Old 21st August 2007, 01:22   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
get real! These guys are running a business.
Yes, my dear. I know. It's called wishful thinking.... a little dreaming never hurt anybody now, did it....but hey, it's not that bad a business idea, considering we don't have MOTOGP or any other forms of performance motorsport for bikes here. At least this way, money would be better spent; on actual customers & sales, rather than on promotion.

On a more serious note, we have doting fathers who can dish out lakhs to get the front page of a local daily to get coverage his schoolgoing daughter zipping around in a DC modified Swift. Needless to say, money is not the issue for people in "those" circuits.

A superbike is a serious machine meant to be handled by serious people. Affordability does not mean lack of skill. Just see the kids abroad riding their machines to understand what I mean.

The point here being that superbikes should be affordable to those who "need" it; not "want" it. IMHO.

(Need=Necessity;
Want=Luxury.)
Old 23rd August 2007, 00:23   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
thanks to Governments stupid rules, next we will hear cars above 8000cc can be imported with lesser duty
Mauhahahah- Well put Busa. The whole over 800cc rule was put in place just for the whole Harley davidson fiasco, which finally will not even come to play in India.
Old 23rd August 2007, 00:44   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Mauhahahah- Well put Busa. The whole over 800cc rule was put in place just for the whole Harley davidson fiasco, which finally will not even come to play in India.
the whole harley davidson deal was to allow mangoes to be exported to the U.S.A and in return harley got entry in INDIA. now harley fans like me get dissappointed in the bargain as they are not comming.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks