Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:44   #226
Team-BHP Support

re: How to Buy and live with a Superbike in India

Hi Agha!

I am not going to advise the N-650 as you ride the 300 & know it won't interest you. Options are very limited, or to put it better, there are no thrilling options for a bike at 5L at the moment. The 600's you will get in metros won't be clean. Good luck if you come across one. But then, service & spares might prove to be an issue at Imphal.

For new, your bet would be a Hyosung or wait for either good bikes to appear in used market of Triumph's or Ducati Monster 795, but service will be an issue for Ducati.

Look around for good deals (if you are open for used & ready to compromise a bit) on Suzuki Bandit, FZ or CB.

Its high time Yamaha came out with FZ-8 and FZ-6.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd August 2014 at 16:46.
Old 24th August 2014, 17:55   #227
BHPian

search and you will find bandit / CB1k and FZ1 naked in range of 7.5 to 9 lac Indian invoice
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:50   #228
AKS

Hi Guys, Ive come across a SBK Yamaha MT01 for sale. The 2 main reasons it impressed me is the Alien Looks and Twin engine with 1660 cc. Even though im not a big fan of naked bikes (crouching bikes are always my fav) im thinking of picking up this one. Can anyone share some insight on it pros and cons.
Old 29th October 2014, 22:44   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS View Post
Hi Guys, Ive come across a SBK Yamaha MT01 for sale. The 2 main reasons it impressed me is the Alien Looks and Twin engine with 1660 cc. Even though im not a big fan of naked bikes (crouching bikes are always my fav) im thinking of picking up this one. Can anyone share some insight on it pros and cons.
Pros:
1. You'll rarely find another, so it is fairly unique.

2. Torque, lots of it and from low down.

3. Less plastic to damage/replace

4. Probably gives better fuel economy than a literbike.

Cons:
1. You'll have to wait for parts long(er), as it is SBK parts aren't usually available off the shelf, they're ordered and take a few days to weeks to arrive. Being a less popular model than the full fairing sportbikes, chances of dealer or distributor stocking up parts locally are less.

2. Weight, this bike is probably 40-50kg heavier than an R1. (this could be a pro, if you're into beefy bikes and have the physique to match)

3. The humongous torque will shred tyres faster.

4. Windblast at high speeds will be more, being a naked and sitting upright.

5. Resale value/demand likely to be lower.

Vibrations : Depending on your personal taste, either you like the V-twin vibes or you don't. Some people like the tingling vibes of high revving 3/4 cylinder motors, some like the lumpier vibes of V-twins. Hence listing as neither a pro nor a con.

PS: It's been discontinued in India, I read. Please verify with local dealer.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 10:59   #230

Folks,
Can somebody in Kerala advise me on this? I have booked a Triumph Bonneville. Dealer tells me that a crash bar is mandatory for registration in Kerala. I am yet to see a Bonneville with a crash bar in the photos here. Is it mandatory? or is he trying to sell the accessory?

Cheers!
Old 17th January 2015, 19:59   #231
BHPian

As my FZ1 insurance is about to expire, I started to look for options and realised that not many insurance companies provide Zero-Depreciation policy for a 3+ year old vehicle and that too for a superbike.After speaking to ICICI,Bharathi axa,Tata Aig..etc I almost lost hope to find a zero-dep policy and decided to stick for a normal comprehensive policy.But luckily over casual discussions, a friend of mine mentioned that you IFFCO- TOKIO provides zero-dep till 5 years.Following that I got in touch with an agent who was obviously clue less about existence of superbikes and in addition to that Fz1 is not listed in their system
Finally after couple of calls to showroom, insurance agent and co-ordinating them got a zero-dep policy

One more thing I would like to add is most of the insurance companies won't provide cash-less transactions for super-bikes, means you have to pay for the repair before hand, once the parts arrive and after the final inspection by the surveyor he will submit the bills to company following which the amount will be reimbursed.This is what exactly I have done back in 2011 when I crashed my ninja250 and I am sure it is the same now.But with Triumph,kawasaki,HD..etc expanding,I hope this will change
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 23:07   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachu View Post
Folks,
Can somebody in Kerala advise me on this? I have booked a Triumph Bonneville. Dealer tells me that a crash bar is mandatory for registration in Kerala. I am yet to see a Bonneville with a crash bar in the photos here. Is it mandatory? or is he trying to sell the accessory?

Cheers!
I doubt; saree guard is . Cochin dealer is on tbhp. Talk to him.
And its a very useful and must have (even if its an accessory) and hence get it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...onneville.html

It has,do check the pix. It chrome and hence you miss to see it.

None of the Hyd team got one though.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...er-sold-6.html

Last edited by jkdas : 17th January 2015 at 23:12.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 13:02   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachu View Post
Folks,

Cheers!
Well, I'd ask him which crash guard(s) he has fitted on the Daytonas, Speed and Street Triples he has sold in Cochin. Or maybe these bikes never got registered?
Its cannot be a mandatory requirement, IMO. You may consider it for other reasons like safety, protecting the bike from neighboring bikes in crowded parking spaces or the like.
AnkurS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 18:41   #234
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. Mods please delete/shift if necessary.

So here goes,

What are the experience with insurance companies in India ?

Who provides the best 0 dep insurance ?
Anyone has a cashless option ?
How many 0 dep claims can I make in a year ? How much does NCB turn out ?

I am finding that ICICI is around 10% - 20% more expensive than a HDFC ERGO for a Z800 in Bangalore

Anyone with experience of claim ? How was the experience?

What should be kept in mind while choosing an insurance for a new superbike ? How do we choose ?
Old 23rd February 2015, 14:51   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post

What are the experience with insurance companies in India ?
Purchase experience is much better with private companies as you can buy a policy on a telephone or internet. Few PSU's sell policy online but few models may not be listed.
When it comes to claims, it depends on surveyor. I have heard good as well as bad experiences with both PSU and Private companies.

Quote:
Who provides the best 0 dep insurance ?
PSU's are always cheaper when compared to Private companies. I don't think there is any company which can be awarded with best insurance provider tag

Quote:
Anyone has a cashless option ?
AFAIK no insurance company has cashless option for superbike claims.

Quote:
How many 0 dep claims can I make in a year ? How much does NCB turn out ?
AFAIK Most of the companies do not limit on the number of claims. But your loading in subsequent year increases if you claim.
NCB % differs on yearly basis. Check with Insurance company.

Quote:
I am finding that ICICI is around 10% - 20% more expensive than a HDFC ERGO for a Z800 in Bangalore.
Avoid ICICI IMO.

Quote:
What should be kept in mind while choosing an insurance for a new superbike ? How do we choose ?
If you had previously received good service from an Insurance company (say for your car) and if they are selling 0 Dep policy at competitive rates then go with them. For a Car, cashless garage tie up is an important aspect when shortlisting insurance company but unfortunately we don't have such facility for super bikes.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 15:03   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Purchase experience is much better with private companies as you can buy a policy on a telephone or internet. Few PSU's sell policy online but few models may not be listed.
When it comes to claims, it depends on surveyor. I have heard good as well as bad experiences with both PSU and Private companies.

PSU's are always cheaper when compared to Private companies. I don't think there is any company which can be awarded with best insurance provider tag

AFAIK no insurance company has cashless option for superbike claims.

AFAIK Most of the companies do not limit on the number of claims. But your loading in subsequent year increases if you claim.
NCB % differs on yearly basis. Check with Insurance company.

Avoid ICICI IMO.

If you had previously received good service from an Insurance company (say for your car) and if they are selling 0 Dep policy at competitive rates then go with them. For a Car, cashless garage tie up is an important aspect when shortlisting insurance company but unfortunately we don't have such facility for super bikes.
Thanks for the inputs. Much knowledge gained right there
Never thought that the most hair greying moment of buying my dream would be the insurance part of it. Internet reviews just makes things difficult.
Lets see where I end up.

Also, there is a stated limit in the number of nil dep claims for ICICI, TAIG and other private ones (couldn't find one in ERGO) for sure as I read them in their websites.
Old 14th March 2015, 16:19   #237
BHPian

A question for the legal eagles out here.

If you're stopped by cops or the DRI, who demand the papers required for imports, what documents do you need ? Whatever we have is typically the same as bikes manufactured here , nothing related to customs deparment.
Old 17th March 2015, 00:03   #238
BHPian

Hello everyone,
I just want to know whether a hyosung gt 650r is a good bike n worth buying and also reg the maintenance. I am a first time buyer for a super bike. Pls advice me.
Old 26th May 2015, 20:21   #239
BHPian

Hello Gurus!

I know this might have been repeated.
But since it's about buying an used SBK, there would be queries no matter what.

My friend is interested in a bike which situated in GJ (and he hasn't seen it).
Few queries :

1. What are the basic things to be checked before visiting GJ to check the bike?

2. It's an Indian invoiced bike. But how to verify it? Which document to ask for?
( the current owner hasn't transferred into his name yet )

3. What are the mechanical things needs to be checked? (I've read the previous posts but if there are any other addition to that please let me know)

4. How to check whether the bike has been abused or not? Or it has incurred any fall or repaint etc. ?

5. How to check or understand that the bike is running on all cylinders? (in this case, it's an inline 4)

Thanks!
Old 27th May 2015, 11:21   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Hello Gurus!

I know this might have been repeated.
But since it's about buying an used SBK, there would be queries no matter what.

My friend is interested in a bike which situated in GJ (and he hasn't seen it).
Few queries :

1. What are the basic things to be checked before visiting GJ to check the bike? Check the tyres, how the bike sounds and handles by taking a test ride. Also check for the genuineness of the aftermarket parts.

2. It's an Indian invoiced bike. But how to verify it? Which document to ask for?
( the current owner hasn't transferred into his name yet ) Ask why didn't he do so? Is he a dealer? Check the invoice, confirm it with the showroom. Check the insurance.

3. What are the mechanical things needs to be checked? (I've read the previous posts but if there are any other addition to that please let me know)

4. How to check whether the bike has been abused or not? Or it has incurred any fall or repaint etc. ? Check the bike in broad daylight. Check the panels for rattling or loose fitment. Also look closely near gaps or where two panels join, its easy to say if the bike is repainted by looking.

5. How to check or understand that the bike is running on all cylinders? (in this case, it's an inline 4)

Thanks!
My answers for your questions are above in bold.
KaandBaaz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed