Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2007, 12:06   #91
Team-BHP Support

umm guys, there is a thread to discuss shoes. Lets not stray off here please.

Link: The Shoe thread
Old 7th August 2007, 14:48   #92
BHPian

Rtech: Yo maan sowie my mistake, just read your post once again.... . to go off topic about the shoe thingy
Old 6th November 2007, 15:23   #93
Senior - BHPian

when one is ignorant about a subject and has no one to help arround with it he leaves the subject to itself,and when he sees an article like this about the same subject he is rejuvanated and his pulse start racing .thanks a million on this r-tech.
Old 6th November 2007, 23:23   #94
BHPian

my .50p! have had the pleasure of riding the R1. also been on it as a pillion. while riding a bike of this calibre...you'll not be able to go above 3rd very many times. you gotta get used to the initial accelaration or else... if you have a bad back...forget it...bad idea to own a bike like this.
as a pillion. you'll need guts. stay away from the guy who likes to show off. you'll be the first one to get hurt.
Old 12th November 2007, 11:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

Raftaar,

My friends who own the R1 and 10R in delhi, have done twisties like Mt Abu, doing 45 in 6th comfortably, owing to the high torque. So they said - is it just them, or am I missing something here?

Ofc, they also said that these beasts can do 100-120 in first gear itself, but that's another story (iirc that is).

and yes, as a pillion - your biceps get more workout in 20 mins than in an hour at the gym - self exp
Old 12th November 2007, 11:15   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My friends who own the R1 and 10R in delhi, have done twisties like Mt Abu, doing 45 in 6th comfortably, owing to the high torque. So they said - is it just them, or am I missing something here?
well, modern liter bikes put out great torque/bhp figures at 5/6K rpm's, so yes, it would be possible (I don't know how twisty the roads there are though), but why would they do that unless they really wanted to take it easy and enjoy the view.

too low a speed/rpm and too high a gear creates a lot of driveline lash which is not good for anything.
Old 12th November 2007, 12:08   #97
BHPian

Low speed in High gear

I seriously doubt the abitlity of an R1 to do 45 on 6th.. The RPM will almost bet be at idling. Maybe a high torque vtwin, but definitely not a high revving inline four
Old 12th November 2007, 12:13   #98
Team-BHP Support

Maybe he meant 45mph!
Old 12th November 2007, 12:22   #99
BHPian

Chances are low

At 2k rpm my cb919, which has a tooth less on the front sprocket than stock does over that and is very very prone to lash.. On an R1 I would really doubt that..
Old 13th November 2007, 19:26   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Raftaar,

Ofc, they also said that these beasts can do 100-120 in first gear itself, but that's another story (iirc that is).

and yes, as a pillion - your biceps get more workout in 20 mins than in an hour at the gym - self exp
i guess the previous posts have also borne out what i have practically felt.
Old 13th November 2007, 20:33   #101

I am probably the person that you guys are talking about. I had gone to Mt Abu on my R1 with my friend who was riding the 10R. We had done it to try out long distance riding on Sbks and at the same time practise some leaning with these bikes. This happened a year ago. Part of our run, till Jaipur actually was also telecast on CNN IBN.
As for High gear low speed runs, I was just trying to see how low I could go and then load the engine by accelerating without knocking. It turned out pretty ok at around 46-47 km/h on 6th, but I wouldnt be doing it on a regular basis.
And as for scenery is concerned, no, I was not riding slow for the scenery. It was at 2300 hours, not much scenery to talk about. I was trying to go as fast as I could, around 60-ish on 5th or so... couldnt go any faster coz I am not talented or gifted enough I guess.
Anyone want to read accounts of Sbk touring can visit here:
kencool
Old 14th November 2007, 10:45   #102
Team-BHP Support

hey ken. Welcome to the forum. Hope to see you posting a bit more. Just browsed through your blog and its very nicely written. You guys up North have some wonderful riding roads! Deserts on one side, mountains on the other! Thats what I call spoilt for choice.

Do post up some more on your experiences with living with an R1.
Old 14th November 2007, 14:09   #103
BHPian

Is 97 octane really needed?

I have always wondered if such high octane levels are needed in bike engines. In the US the recommendation is only for 87.
Old 14th November 2007, 14:26   #104
Team-BHP Support

True there Prabhu. though the newer bikes state a minimum of 91 - 93 octane usually. However, in India, the added benefit of running the higher octane would, theoretically/hopefully, mean that you get fuel which is of better quality and less likely to be tampered with.

However, we still don't have pure 97 octane here. only stuff that has been treated with octane boosters/cleaner to get it to around the 97 mark.

Personally, I run 91 IOC Premium with a mix of pure 93 IOC whenever I can find it. Bike has no issues except the valve gumming which i mentioned in my other thread. But that happens on any car/bike here no matter that fuel we use.
Old 14th November 2007, 20:08   #105
Senior - BHPian

A while ago I noticed a sticker on a Repsol 1000RR which said "Use 95 octane and above only".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks