Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2015, 12:39   #256
BHPian

re: How to Buy and live with a Superbike in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Is the cranking normal or weak? Did the fuel pump prime (you'd hear a long screech when ignition is turned on. If there's no sound, the fuel pump may be faulty. I suggest you drain and filter the fuel before refilling.

Have a look at the fuses too. Before cranking again, remove the spark plugs and hold them close to the chassis/engine block, then crank, to check if ignition/spark is present. Ask a mechanic to do this - don't touch the plug/wire while cranking !

If all this checks out ok, next thing to check is injectors for clogging. Do check the wiring, in case there are any shorted.
Thanks for your inputs Ricci,

I have been told that sourcing parts can be very difficult if in case I mess it up. I am planning to wait for the authorized technician arrive and let him fix the bike.

I am hoping that none of the major components failed.
Old 3rd October 2015, 18:10   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
1. You have to learn your way up. Like a few here recommended, th 250/300, then the 600's- and then upward. The bigger bikes are very unforgiving and I have just started a thread on big bike safety.
2. I hope you find the right people to ride with that is so very important.
3. Here is a Ducati 821 ridden - possibly over a speed breaker which he did not see. at a speed he should not have been doing. No amount of tech gadetry would have prevented this if the rider was just out of sorts- riding with the wrong people or not adequately acclimatised to his/her bike.

How to Buy and live with a Superbike in India-ducati.jpg

Horror stories about on Hayabusas and Harley Night Rods where you can actually twist and hold down the throttle for about the 10-20 seconds needed to get you to 240.... on Indian roads- and then your visor flips open because the helmet was not 'rated' for that speed.

Learn slow,learn well.

Schools overseas- teach preventive and defensive riding- which will all have exercises only upto 50kmph at the most, due to fears of liability and legal troubles. If you read my article on leaning, then you will realise that you could create your own course at home, keeping cones 15' apart and then getting them to 11' and seeing how you can ride the bike you own right now.

I wish you a safe and long innings with big bikes.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 15:42   #258
BHPian

Great thread with loads of information. Sometimes drifted away from the topic but back very soon.
I wish to add here that living with a superbike requires lot of foresight. If you buy them from outlets in India first and foremost register with Roadside Assistance plan for whatever amount on yearly basis. Remember you are on two wheels and not four and the distance between the bike's body and mother earth is a foot or so. It will fall while you are on it or off it and take a hit. Many times if some crucial part is damaged it will require a tow to the workshop. At this point the Roadside Assistance will help.
I am in Chandigarh and off late saw many riders fall. Expensive and heavy bikes cannot be left on the road side so use the paid service. Believe me it take care of many things
joybird is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 00:14   #259
BHPian

Am in the same dilemma as mail4ajo...

Have a Shogun and been riding it for the best part of 16 years now. Family expansion meant that i started using the 4 wheeler more but always had the thirst for a ninja. This year I have decided to sell the Shogun and buy a new bike.

I dream of riding the z800 because i am simply in love with how it looks (z1000 is way too expensive). I however recognize though that moving from a 14bhp,114 kg shogun to a 111bhp, 231 kgs z800 will probably be too much of a leap even though there is pressure from my brother in law to go for it.

My plan is for me to adjust to the weight and power increase gradually and hence I am on the lookout for a z250 (because of its similarity in looks with the z800 and also because its heavier than most 250/300 and hence it would get me adjusted sooner than the others). Keep it for an yr atleast and then go for a pre-owned 650 and then finally onto the z800/z1000 (the latter budget permitting).

I test rode my friend's 650 ninja and felt it pretty manageable though the TD was only for a km or 2 in empty roads. I would have opted for the 650 first but considering that I have not been riding bikes regularly for a few years now, I felt that the weight jump would make me end up in some embarrassing situations.

What do you guys think? Should I go for the Er-6n (opting over N650 because I will primarily ride it in city with probably a very occasionally highway runs) or should I go with my initial plan of 250, 650 and then the 800. I should mention I am 5'6 and weight 65 kgs.

P.S: Should mention I am not interested in the D390 because of the niggling issues and the weight jump is very moderate.

Last edited by Avinash_R : 13th March 2016 at 00:16. Reason: Added reason for not shortlisting D390
Old 4th April 2016, 00:37   #260
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately I had to relocate which doesn't change my plans but just delayed. We have a "how to buy and live with cars in the US" topic, anything similar for bikes?

Please let me know if anyone has experience in the US. At this stage I am just researching models. Signed up for the MSF beginners course this month and collecting some riding gear.

With the lower prices you are tempted to go all out. But want to play safe, riding/driving in the US is not as easy. Currently thinking either the CBR650 which I originally intended to get in India or the Yamaha FZ6R which is about $1200 cheaper but no ABS and lower on power which is fine. Also checked out some EU models like Aprilia Shiver and MV Agusta Brutale 675. Prices are high and service/spares are expensive.
Old 4th April 2016, 01:29   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With the lower prices you are tempted to go all out. But want to play safe, riding/driving in the US is not as easy. Currently thinking either the CBR650 which I originally intended to get in India or the Yamaha FZ6R which is about $1200 cheaper but no ABS and lower on power which is fine. Also checked out some EU models like Aprilia Shiver and MV Agusta Brutale 675. Prices are high and service/spares are expensive.
Keep an eye out for deals on the Suzuki SFV650, its a little low on the glamour quotient though. http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...15/SFV650.aspx
Old 26th April 2016, 01:15   #262
Senior - BHPian

Team, I have almost finishing doing my basic research. Its between an used 2013 GSXR 600 (1500miles) and new CBR650F ABS.

From basic comparison, price is almost same, insurance is about $30 more on the Suzuki inspite of being used and older by 2 years.

GSXR is 25kgs lighter and easy to handle. Only issue is crouched seating position which can be adjusted a little with a Helibar clipon ($300).
Seats are extra plush and easy for my short inseam. Way more power than I can handle, but can be tamed via the riding mode. Stopping power is killer as per reports, but no ABS.
Others, the CBR650F feels cheaply build on some parts, the instrument cluster looks blunt and exhaust sounds meek. GSXR build is top notch, be it the shocks, triple tree, fairing or instrumentation except the missing fuel gauge.

From the above, you may notice I am leaning towards the GSXR. Need some advise from experts on my thoughts.

As mentioned earlier, I am ready to spend the time to go easy/learn the bike, invest in high quality riding gear and keep a mature head and right wrist.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 26th April 2016 at 01:21.
Old 29th April 2016, 22:26   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Please let me know if anyone has experience in the US. At this stage I am just researching models. Signed up for the MSF beginners course this month and collecting some riding gear.

Looks like we are almost in the same boat I got my California M1 license in January. Directly went with the skill test as my job did not permit me to have 3 days off for the MSF course.

Here is what my research yielded me up until now. I checked the insurance rates for a 2015 Yamaha R1 and it costs me $1100 per year with Comprehensive and Collision coverage. The insurance guy gave me a $50 discount if I had the MSF motorcycle endorsement. This is a bomb when compared to the $800 per year which I pay for my 2012 Acura TSX. I came across a 2006 R1 in good shape and fair price. But, on checking with my local insurance agent, it just bought the price down to $900 per year, which is still way too much. In 5 years, I would be surpassing the purchase price of the bike

IMHO you can get even a brand new bike here as many dealers offered me 1.9 % APR. But, the main thing to look out for is Insurance costs as Bikes in the US are generally considered a risk by the insurance companies. Hope this gives you some insight in making your decision. cheers !!
Old 14th July 2016, 21:29   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueBiker View Post
Looks like we are almost in the same boat
Hey, looks like you got your Ninja, Congrats. I ditched the GSXR idea and started slow with a well maintained low mileage FZ6R. Got an excellent rate on insurance from Liberty Mutual.

Team, is there a foolproof way to jump start a FI motorcycle if the battery is dead? I know its not advisable or even possible as the pump needs power to turn. Can anyone recommend a easy to carry battery pack to jump start?

Last edited by mail4ajo : 14th July 2016 at 21:33.
Old 14th July 2016, 21:41   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Team, is there a foolproof way to jump start a FI motorcycle if the battery is dead ?
I know its not advisable or even possible as the pump needs power to turn. Can anyone recommend a easy to carry battery pack to jump start ?
In general, unless the battery is completely flat, the state of charge required to power-up the ECU & the fuel pump is significantly lesser than that required to crank the engine - so a push start can sometimes work.
In any case, hope this helps...
Old 16th July 2016, 05:00   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, looks like you got your Ninja, Congrats. I ditched the GSXR idea and started slow with a well maintained low mileage FZ6R. Got an excellent rate on insurance from Liberty Mutual.
Thanks Mate ! Am now on the lookout for some quality biking gear Congrats to you too on the FZ6R
Old 8th December 2017, 21:01   #267
BHPian

Is anyone aware of the contract program that Harley offers while purchasing a new bike through its finance?
Old 8th December 2017, 21:40   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitewheel View Post
Is anyone aware of the contract program that Harley offers while purchasing a new bike through its finance?
Never knew Harley financed it's bike itself. AFAIK only 3rd parties (Banks etc.) finance their bikes.
Old 9th December 2017, 07:12   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Never knew Harley financed it's bike itself. AFAIK only 3rd parties (Banks etc.) finance their bikes.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/in/en/finance.html

I was mentioning about this.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Buy and live with a Superbike in India-b61a6acf5ff943d9b77865e3b1444422.png  

Old 9th December 2017, 08:26   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitewheel View Post
I was mentioning about this
I think it clearly mentions that the finance is through other 3rd parties like Banks and financial institutions, like I previously mentioned -

How to Buy and live with a Superbike in India-1512788143627.jpg

Why don't you drop them a email and clarify your inquiries?

And just for your information, Bank of India's Superbike Loan has currently the lowest interest rates in India.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 9th December 2017 at 08:31.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed