Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2008, 09:08   #121
BHPian

Thanks Techno & Manson.....the links will surely be helpful.

az
Old 10th April 2008, 11:22   #122
BHPian

Tyres- Help!!

What brand of tyres are best for my Blade, where in Bangalore can I buy them, and what will they cost?
Should I opt for dual-compound? Are used tyres a good idea?

Mods: please move this if a more appropriate thread exists- I couldn't find one.
Old 10th April 2008, 13:39   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonblackybx View Post
A guy over here in Hyderabad is selling his 2007 CBR which he has brought from UK. I didnt get to see the bike condition. But he priced it at 11,00,000 INR.

Am not sure about the bikes condition just wanted to find if 11lakhs sounds reasonable for this bike. I may check the bike in a day or 2 wil post the pictures then.
First of all if he's got the bike on TR, he cant sell it to you for 2 years. So check with him about that. Besides 11 L is a rip off. You will get an '08 1000 RR for around 10-10.5 L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
What brand of tyres are best for my Blade, where in Bangalore can I buy them, and what will they cost?
Should I opt for dual-compound? Are used tyres a good idea?

Mods: please move this if a more appropriate thread exists- I couldn't find one.
Bridgestone is number 1 in the world for a reason, so look no further. Unless the guy selling you the used tires is your brother who lives with you and you've seen how he's used them, DON'T go anywhere near them!

In this country its very easy to re-tread tires, you don't want to be riding such a bike on those.

Dual compound is good because they last longer than racing (soft compound) but racing tires have superb grip. Take your pick.

Last edited by straight6 : 10th April 2008 at 13:43.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:40   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
First of all if he's got the bike on TR, he cant sell it to you for 2 years. So check with him about that. Besides 11 L is a rip off. You will get an '08 1000 RR for around 10-10.5 L.

Bridgestone is number 1 in the world for a reason, so look no further. Unless the guy selling you the used tires is your brother who lives with you and you've seen how he's used them, DON'T go anywhere near them!

In this country its very easy to re-tread tires, you don't want to be riding such a bike on those.

Dual compound is good because they last longer than racing (soft compound) but racing tires have superb grip. Take your pick.

ok. Thanks for the input.

Unless the guy selling you the used tires is your brother who lives with you and you've seen how he's used them...
Old 10th April 2008, 18:22   #125
Team-BHP Support

Michelin Pilot/Pilot Sport are soft compund tyres, and quite awesome for track days and highway rides, especially if you are someone who really likes to throw the bike into corners.
Bridgestone BT - 014 & 015 are more or less similar to the above michelins.

I use the Bridgestone Bt - 020 for my Thunderace. They are hard compound tyres, dont need to be ridden hard to extract the best grip, which makes them perfect for the city riding, and they do quite well for the weekend highway rides too.
Infaact i had called for a set of Michelin pilot sports, and Robin had them sent back. He insisted i get the Bt - 020 as they would suit my needs perfectly.
Have had them on since september, and done some 3000 odd kms, and they're good.

The BT - 020 cost me 15k a set, another 500 or so if you're gonna get a 190 rear.
Michelins are between 16-17K. I'm told one could avoid the Dunlops.

And, try and get yourself as new a set possible, some dealers haved sets lying around that are older than a year,and sometimes more tghan that. Anything from 6-8 months gap is good.

manson.
Old 10th April 2008, 20:46   #126
Senior - BHPian

If the tires have been lying around for too long the rubber becomes hard and thats not a good thing. Same applies for a bike that hasn't been used enough.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:15   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Michelin Pilot/Pilot Sport are soft compund tyres, and quite awesome for track days and highway rides, especially if you are someone who really likes to throw the bike into corners.
Bridgestone BT - 014 & 015 are more or less similar to the above michelins.

I use the Bridgestone Bt - 020 for my Thunderace. They are hard compound tyres, dont need to be ridden hard to extract the best grip, which makes them perfect for the city riding, and they do quite well for the weekend highway rides too.
Infaact i had called for a set of Michelin pilot sports, and Robin had them sent back. He insisted i get the Bt - 020 as they would suit my needs perfectly.
Have had them on since september, and done some 3000 odd kms, and they're good.

The BT - 020 cost me 15k a set, another 500 or so if you're gonna get a 190 rear.
Michelins are between 16-17K. I'm told one could avoid the Dunlops.

And, try and get yourself as new a set possible, some dealers haved sets lying around that are older than a year,and sometimes more tghan that. Anything from 6-8 months gap is good.

manson.
Manson: I've run the Bridgestone Battalax BT010 (180 & 130) that came with my Blade, and they must have been old stock as the compound seems hardened and refuses to wear. I've clocked 16K kms on them and have no clue how much the previous owner did. Now have to swap them for new rubber. Yes, shan't opt for used tyres.

BTW how do I date tyres other than the dealer's word for it? They could have been with him just 6 months, but there's no saying how long they sat with some distributor abroad, in transit/customs etc.
(same thing happens to me with my pipe tobaccos )

Deepak Chordia of Tyrestore-Chennai- has offered me Michelin Pilot Sports for Rs 12,000 a pair but got the front sizing wrong (17" whereas mine runs a 16 incher). I've requested a quote for the Michelin dual compounds as well.

Quote:
If the tires have been lying around for too long the rubber becomes hard and thats not a good thing. Same applies for a bike that hasn't been used enough.
Straight6: I'm walking (and sliding) example of that
However, not one hairy episode with my Blade in the 2+ years I've owned her. I haven't pushed her as hard as a professional rider might have, but she offered all the grip I expected without a murmur; I did and continue to tread carefully in the wet.

Last edited by netchef : 11th April 2008 at 12:18.
Old 11th April 2008, 18:11   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW how do I date tyres other than the dealer's word for it? They could have been with him just 6 months, but there's no saying how long they sat with some distributor abroad, in transit/customs etc.
(same thing happens to me with my pipe tobaccos )
Look for a four digit number on the tires, that would tell you the week and year of manafacturing.
For example, 0408 would imply fourth week of 2008.

manson.
Old 11th April 2008, 19:49   #129
Senior - BHPian

When I said "same applies to a bike", I meant it for the tires not the bike .
Old 14th April 2008, 15:19   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Look for a four digit number on the tires, that would tell you the week and year of manafacturing.
For example, 0408 would imply fourth week of 2008.

manson.
Oh lovely. Thanks. And what would 'use by' date be...6 months from date of manufacture?
Quote:
you were not misunderstood in the first instance, Sir.
Old 14th April 2008, 18:59   #131
Team-BHP Support

Yes, six months from the date of manafacture would be perfectly ok.
Infact some even say that brand new tyres, well kept would be ok to buy even 10-11 months from the date of manafacture. Most dealers have tyres between six months to a year from manafacuring date, the newer the better.

manson.
Old 16th April 2008, 11:34   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, six months from the date of manafacture would be perfectly ok.
Infact some even say that brand new tyres, well kept would be ok to buy even 10-11 months from the date of manafacture. Most dealers have tyres between six months to a year from manafacuring date, the newer the better.

manson.
Done, Sir. Thank-you.
Old 6th May 2008, 19:07   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Done, Sir. Thank-you.
Gentlemen: this thread died a natural death, but unfortunately my tyre problems didn't.
Deepak of Tyrestore (Chennai) didn't stock my front and said it might take a while to his next consignment. So, I'm back to square one. (I was willing, even keen, that he'd source them for me as that would have given me an excuse to ride there.)

Any leads in Bangalore- ANYONE?
Bike's a 99 Blade and she needs a 16" front. I'm looking for dual compound tyres, and if I get a decent deal on a good make, I'll take the set.

(Love the baseline: One revolution ahead.)
Old 6th May 2008, 19:13   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any leads in Bangalore- ANYONE?
Bike's a 99 Blade and she needs a 16" front. I'm looking for dual compound tyres, and if I get a decent deal on a good make, I'll take the set.
IIRC Deepak (tirestore) did mention that Hot Tracks in Blore (Contact - Anil) stocks SBK tires and has brisk business in this segment. Hope this helps.
Old 6th May 2008, 19:37   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
IIRC Deepak (tirestore) did mention that Hot Tracks in Blore (Contact - Anil) stocks SBK tires and has brisk business in this segment. Hope this helps.
n_aditya: Sir, much obliged. Shall talk with him on the morrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks