Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2023, 23:53   #16
BHPian

Re: My first bike | Ducati Multistrada 950S | Ownership Review

Beautifully written Steve. I’ve ridden the old as well as this new Multi and I must admit, Ducati has put it’s heart out in the new one. The 950S is a perfect balance of an ADV which rides and handles like a sports bike. I don’t recall any ADV I could reverse park with one hand.

The front wheel is felt when you try to tuck her in, the suspension is butter smooth and the torque of the L Twin can never go wrong. Being an Ex-owner of the Panigale 959, I can definitely say that the Multi gets some blood from its Supersport sibling.

Steve, I wouldn’t be surprised if you ride her wearing a leather suit. She’s that capable a machine.

What’s wrong if a little heat is felt between the thighs, after all she is an Italian.

What’s the service interval now on the DESMO Service? Has it been revised for India as well?

Cheers,
Amey

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 4th January 2023 at 23:56.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 10:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Congratulations Sumeet for the bike
You took a while but what a lovely review this is of Multi.

Since it has already been to the holiest place of Adv’s, I suppose it will fare great at whatever challenge is thrown to it in future rides.
Thanks, Abhishek! It surely did surprise me with its abilities in the mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Hope to ride together some day!
Yes, let's do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Nicely written, the_skyliner!

Lovely pictures!

The skyhook suspension is such a special feature of your motorcycle. I also like the brushed aluminum finishing of those front forks, that's a unique colour.

Another very nice feature that the Multi gets is back-lit switchgear, love motorcycles where manufacturers go the extra mile in giving these nice features.

Wishing lots of fun on the motorcycle!
Thanks, GoBlue! I remember we speaking about it specifically just after I got the bike. It surely is the best feature of the Multi.

Ah, that back-lit switchgear! I agree it's a nice touch and it does come in handy during those super early morning rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Beautifully written Steve. I’ve ridden the old as well as this new Multi and I must admit, Ducati has put it’s heart out in the new one. The 950S is a perfect balance of an ADV which rides and handles like a sports bike. I don’t recall any ADV I could reverse park with one hand.

The front wheel is felt when you try to tuck her in, the suspension is butter smooth and the torque of the L Twin can never go wrong. Being an Ex-owner of the Panigale 959, I can definitely say that the Multi gets some blood from its Supersport sibling.
Thanks, Amey! If you found it sporty means it definitely is! I missed the opportunity to ride with you last month. Would have loved to discuss about the bike and learn a few things from you. May be next time.

Quote:
Steve, I wouldn’t be surprised if you ride her wearing a leather suit. She’s that capable a machine.
The machine might be capable but will take few years for me to dare it.

Quote:
What’s wrong if a little heat is felt between the thighs, after all she is an Italian.

Quote:
What’s the service interval now on the DESMO Service? Has it been revised for India as well?

Cheers,
Amey
The service interval is changed for the newer bikes (Multi V2/V4 onwards). For my bike it's still the old timeline. Not an issue as it will take at least 4-5 years for me to reach there.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 18:36   #18
BHPian

Lovely write-up there Steve! You have a gem of a machine and you are doing justice to her too

I remember, once we had swapped bikes - the Multi never felt like an ADV. That bike is so sure-footed and then I found the handling, a point-and-shoot affair too!
Ducati guys have nailed it with the Multi 950
Perfect bike for Indian roads, no stress from a bad road day !!

Wish you many more happy miles with your precious.
Cheers.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 18:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Thanks, Amey! If you found it sporty means it definitely is! I missed the opportunity to ride with you last month. Would have loved to discuss about the bike and learn a few things from you. May be next time.
That's modest of you. Let's ride together the next time I'm there just to enjoy the camaraderie on the saddle. I'm sure it'll be great fun.

It's surprising that the DESMO is only extended for V2 and V4? Any special reasons for this differentiation?

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 23:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's surprising that the DESMO is only extended for V2 and V4? Any special reasons for this differentiation
Amey, the new Multistrada V4/S does not come with Desmodromic valves, it has traditional valve springs and the service interval is 60,000 kilometres.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 15:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh2M View Post
Congratulations to you on your beauty. That is a lovely bike. Short and sweet review. I wonder how dose it handles in Pune traffic?
wish you have lots of happy Kms on the superb machine. Hope we catch up someday.
Thanks. I came here with the same question. My hunt for a good deal on a used Multistrada 950s is still on. I love the 1260S, but after riding both bikes back-to-back in Bologna a few years ago, the refinement on the 950S was evident. The V2S seems to be even more refined. Surprisingly the used Multistrada Enduros are being sold at a mouth-watering price, only to realize the reason behind this later. I tested one last year in Bangalore, intending to buy one, but the heat and power generated were crazy. It's a beast of a machine and needs either a weight lifter or a trained rider.

So 950S it is! And for our city Pune where 90% of roads are as good as highways, this should be the best of all worlds.
virajvroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 17:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajvroom View Post
The V2S seems to be even more refined. Surprisingly the used Multistrada Enduros are being sold at a mouth-watering price, only to realize the reason behind this later. I tested one last year in Bangalore, intending to buy one, but the heat and power generated were crazy. It's a beast of a machine and needs either a weight lifter or a trained rider.

So 950S it is! And for our city Pune where 90% of roads are as good as highways, this should be the best of all worlds.
Yes, the newer Ducatis are more refined (both the engines refinement as well as the heat management) than the previous gens. This was also confirmed by a friend who has ridden earlier gen Ducatis.

V2S I heard is even more refined. But 950S is already good enough IMO. So if you can get hold of some good preowned 950S then go for it.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 15:27   #23

Hi, wonderful review, answered all my queries. I'm currently torn between choosing a V2S and a Versys 1000. I know these are two different bikes in terms of character, but are united in their 'ADV' categorization. I'm tilting towards the Italian but I want to be sure I'm making the right choice as she is at least 6 lakhs dearer!
This is my first post in this forum, look forward to your insights.

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd May 2023 at 17:17. Reason: Minor typos.
Wandering_insom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 17:57   #24
BHPian

Many congratulations on your Multistrada 950 S. My riding buddy also has the same bike and I have ridden it a couple of times. That powerful mid-range torque stands out and doesn't let you forget it and that suspension is the ultimate. Despite weighing in on the heavier side along with a high CG, the bike is surprisingly agile in the twisties which is quite a feat. In my opinion, this bike is purposeful for inter-state mile munching and to spend twelve-hour days in the saddle without breaking a sweat. Do read about our South Ride (Kawasaki Ninja 1000 & Ducati Multistrada 950 S Ride to South India 2023) in Jan 2023 and thanks for sharing your ownership experience.
AKSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 19:17   #25
BHPian

Congratulations. A Ducati Multistrada is definitely high up on my list as my second bike. I like my Versys 1000 and she is staying but I have always wanted to own a Ducati, and Multi is something that will keep me comfortable.

Last edited by Mr.Ogre : 1st May 2023 at 19:18.
Mr.Ogre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 14:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_insom View Post
Hi, wonderful review, answered all my queries. I'm currently torn between choosing a V2S and a Versys 1000. I know these are two different bikes in terms of character, but are united in their 'ADV' categorization. I'm tilting towards the Italian but I want to be sure I'm making the right choice as she is at least 6 lakhs dearer !
Just here to help - do remember there is a reason why the Ducati is 6 lakhs dearer. Well not just one but a million maybe. If you do decide to go for the versys 1000 - there will always be a doubt/itch that you should have gone for the multi instead - and that is the time my dear friend, you will realise that you ended up wasting your money on something while your heart craved for something altogether different.

If you think that 6 lakhs is a far too much stretch, do consider getting your hands on a preloved bike instead. That way, you will not just save a lot compared to a new bike, but you will also get what you really want.

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd May 2023 at 17:17. Reason: Minor typos in quoted post.
samyakmodi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 17:21   #27
Team-BHP Support

@Skyliner

Beautiful pics and an equally cracking write - up. The Ducati looks absolutely smashing with the mountains as the backdrop!

Hope we can cross paths in some ride or the other. Its a small enough world between Mumbai and Pune riders.

I loved reading this thread and like I said elsewhere, between you and Narula123 you had so aptly covered the Multis that it was a struggle for me to add anything meaningful through my own thread. I've finally gotten around to pushing a review out mostly so I can chronicle the ownership journey of my specific bike - you guys have already covered both variants of the previous gen Multi so well.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 14:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_insom View Post
Hi, wonderful review, answered all my queries. I'm currently torn between choosing a V2S and a Versys 1000. I know these are two different bikes in terms of character, but are united in their 'ADV' categorization. I'm tilting towards the Italian but I want to be sure I'm making the right choice as she is at least 6 lakhs dearer!
Glad you found the review useful.

Both, the V1000 and the Multi V2S are capable bikes but are totally different in their riding characteristics. Multi will be nimble, more eager and more corner craving (yes, even though its termed as "ADV") than the Kawa. Multi will also fare better as an all-rounder as it's good both on and off the road unlike the V1000 which is very much a road bike.

However, if you crave and lust for super smooth engine and want a trouble free ownership then go for the V1000.

Have you TRed both the V1000 and the Multi V2S? Once you TR the Multi, it's very difficult to buy something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSO View Post
Many congratulations on your Multistrada 950 S. My riding buddy also has the same bike and I have ridden it a couple of times. That powerful mid-range torque stands out and doesn't let you forget it and that suspension is the ultimate. Despite weighing in on the heavier side along with a high CG, the bike is surprisingly agile in the twisties which is quite a feat. In my opinion, this bike is purposeful for inter-state mile munching and to spend twelve-hour days in the saddle without breaking a sweat. Do read about our South Ride (Kawasaki Ninja 1000 & Ducati Multistrada 950 S Ride to South India 2023) in Jan 2023 and thanks for sharing your ownership experience.
Thank you, AKSO! Will go through the thread.

I agree word to word what you said about the Multi. It indeed handles the twisties surprisingly well despite the high CG. At least good enough for a Sunday rider like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ogre View Post
Congratulations. A Ducati Multistrada is definitely high up on my list as my second bike. I like my Versys 1000 and she is staying but I have always wanted to own a Ducati, and Multi is something that will keep me comfortable.
Thanks, Mr.Ogre! Add that Multi to your garage soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
If you think that 6 lakhs is a far too much stretch, do consider getting your hands on a preloved bike instead. That way, you will not just save a lot compared to a new bike, but you will also get what you really want.
Agreed. A well kept pre-owned Multi 950S would be a good way to save some moolah. However, one will have to be patient enough to wait for the right bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
@Skyliner

Beautiful pics and an equally cracking write - up. The Ducati looks absolutely smashing with the mountains as the backdrop!
Thanks a lot, Axe77! Means a lot coming from you!

Quote:
Hope we can cross paths in some ride or the other. Its a small enough world between Mumbai and Pune riders.
Sure thing, boss. Let's plan a Mumbai+Pune TBHP riders ride soon. Amby valley could be a good destination with breakfast at Manashakti.

Quote:
I loved reading this thread and like I said elsewhere, between you and Narula123 you had so aptly covered the Multis that it was a struggle for me to add anything meaningful through my own thread. I've finally gotten around to pushing a review out mostly so I can chronicle the ownership journey of my specific bike - you guys have already covered both variants of the previous gen Multi so well.
Once again, I am so glad that you found the review to be well written.

BTW, few recent rides updates are due which I will post once I get some free time.
the_skyliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 18:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Just here to help - do remember there is a reason why the Ducati is 6 lakhs dearer. Well not just one but a million maybe. If you do decide to go for the versys 1000 - there will always be a doubt/itch that you should have gone for the multi instead - and that is the time my dear friend, you will realise that you ended up wasting your money on something while your heart craved for something altogether different.

Guess what ?? You are 100% right ! I just booked the Multi yesterday ! Been grinning ear to ear ever since.
Wandering_insom is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks