Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2023, 21:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review

I am a bit late but a hearty congratulations Axe77 on the Multistrada and for a beautiful ownership review of the same. You truly got the best of both the worlds in form of Tiger 800 and Multi 1200.

Looking at the feature list of your MY 2017 bike, it seems apart from design, even features are also evolutionary. It got almost everything since start.
Let those beautiful pictures come timely as your ownership further progresses.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 10:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

RATTLY TOP BOX FIX

My bike had come with a handy SW Motech (SWM) Alu rack / base plate over which I’d been meaning to install an SWM top box. In order to install this, you need to install an adaptor plate over the Alu rack. Went ahead and ordered both adaptor plate and the box from Big Bad Bikes Bangalore.

The problem was that despite a perfect install, there was an unbearable rattle coming from the entire unit. To a point where I was loathe to use the box at all. I took the bike to Zubin in Bandra to help resolve this with some sort of rubber cushioning to absorb the sound and the rattle and also reduce the play (although play seemed non existent at install there somehow was still a lot of movement while riding.

The box is still easy enough to remove and install but the noise is entirely gone now. Will update as it sees time and miles pass as to how robust this solution is but for now its completely eliminated the noise issue.

Set 1 - the BEFORE pics

View of just the base plate with the adaptor plate on top. Note the all-metal mounting points, which exacerbate the sound somehow, given the lack of rubber bushing.

Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review-8b4e4cce5d1d4c3484c403f2fc419f14.jpeg

View from the underside of the installed setup.

Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review-359d3df51c22498a94eda8ae3f9ab48b.jpeg

Set 2 - the AFTER pics

A rubber mat was placed between the Alu rack / base plate and the SWM adaptor plate.

Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review-32ce30d1c4e4491d974c1aebee66f236.jpeg

A rubber bumper has been put on the four mounting points as well to further insulate as well as make the mounting of the box more secure.

Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review-a44736f371094d31a67281453043cc1e.jpeg

The final result with the top box installed. While we were at it, we put some reflective stickers as well on the all-black top box. It followed my usual approach of red at the rear, yellow on the side and white reflective on the front facing portion.

Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review-e824c0689c0c47dea5c260eab11ebde4.jpeg

Axe77 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 08:25   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_soul View Post
Can you please shed some details on the aluminium top case. Did you see any issues during ride with stability or handling? I am looking to buy one for my on the way 850gs. Primary use is to keep the riding gear safely in the box while going around after parking the bike.
Shifting this here for convenience. If you scroll up you will find a brief review of my SWM top box including some rattling issues I faced initially and the solve.

Having said that, I realised that my original install itself was a little imperfect and it was finally some adjustments in the original installation screws that did the trick. The top box is perfectly stable since then without any rattling.

Givi has a really wide range of top boxes and you could consider either these or SWM. I was constrained to remain in the SWM family since my preferred and installed side panniers were from SWM but if you’ve not installed anything yet, I’d recommend have a look at Givi first. Their range of top boxes is FAR more elaborate than Givi.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 08:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Givi has a really wide range of top boxes and you could consider either these or SWM. I was constrained to remain in the SWM family since my preferred and installed side panniers were from SWM but if you’ve not installed anything yet, I’d recommend have a look at Givi first. Their range of top boxes is FAR more elaborate than Givi.
Thanks a lot for the details, I will definitely look at Givi. I still dont have the bike delivered, so nothing installed as of now. Your thread is definitely something I will bookmark.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th July 2023 at 08:42. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 19th July 2023, 08:48   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_soul View Post
Thanks a lot for the details, I will definitely look at Givi. I still dont have the bike delivered, so nothing installed as of now. Your thread is definitely something I will bookmark.

You can also have a look at post #6 in my detailed Tiger ownership Review, where I discussed my entire luggage solution. While the top box and side pannier kit was OEM, its made by Givi and as good as a givi kit review. It might also give you a broader idea of what kind of luggage set ups you’d like for longer touring.

This below is another recent thread which details accessories installed and it includes his discussion on Shad - another popular brand should you wish to consider it.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 01:00   #21
BHPian

Great thread, Axe77! Nice to see shumis Mukti here and it's covering the miles as how he used to. How's the handling with the topbox? I observed you used to have your topbox on with the Tiger but not so on this? Does it affect the handling in ghat sections to a bothersome extent? Do keep posting your rides here!
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 23:18   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
How's the handling with the topbox? I observed you used to have your topbox on with the Tiger but not so on this? Does it affect the handling in ghat sections to a bothersome extent? Do keep posting your rides here!
Sorry for the delayed response. Slipped replying to this earlier.

I actually took a while before I finally managed to zero in on a top box and buy it. Which is why a lot of my older pics are without a top box while more recent ones have it on.

Now that I’ve got it, its on the bike almost all the time, specially in the city. In fact, very often, I have the semi-rigid side panniers on as well as there really isn’t place to keep them at home and if I’m really not keen on taking them on a ride, I move them into the boot of my car and put them back on while the bike is parked. Else I just ride with them.

I haven’t found a significant issue using a top box since I’ve been using one all these years on the Tiger as well. I don’t think I corner carve to an extent that it impairs handling.

The bike has seen miniscule miles in the last couple of months because I’ve just been caught up with too much other stuff. Either traveling or busy with something else on weekends. Hopefully will manage a morning ride this Sunday if everything else goes to plan earlier in the week.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th August 2023 at 23:19.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 03:14   #23
Team-BHP Support

Been struggling to find time to ride too much the last few months with something or the other being prioritised over. Finally had a nice Sunday run if nothing else followed by a nice coffee later in the day at a city cafe.

My luggage panniers have been banished from the house - they’re now in “always on the bike” mode in my parking. I move them to the car boot most times I’m riding and then put them back on the bike when its parked. Decided to take them along this time. Good to ride once in a way with the panniers on, so one is used to the dimensions and added width.

We found a nice spot somewhere towards Jawhar this time - really scenic roads leading up to an even more scenic spot, made even more beautiful thanks to the monsoons.

The line-up
Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review-b88f2888531e47ecbc40be980fa71a45.jpeg

The spot: absolutely gorgeous location.
Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review-caff89884bc84b7ca3674c6bd8580d2a.jpeg

Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review-da7a947884814262810fa9ed297f9710.jpeg

Returning back. The monsoon gear is finally in good use. That’s a Rynox overlayer jacket combined with the Decathlon rain pants.
Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review-510e925de6bc489489dea51e22a819a1.jpeg

Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review-b23a8c214b564238a32ea37ae8e4a8ba.jpeg

Finally let go of the rain overlayer post breakfast. That’s the Revit Sand 4 jacket. The Decathlon rain pants stayed on - don’t want to deal with handling the muck on the white riding pants.
Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review-b6ec5bcb45b5427c907eed4fe22392f1.jpeg

At my favourite local cafe in the evening.
Red Hot Chilli Pepper | Ducati Multistrada 1200S Review-img_4179.jpeg

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st August 2023 at 03:17.
Axe77 is online now   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks