Team-BHP - The Suzuki Hayabusa is dead. Long live the 2008 Hayabusa!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   The Suzuki Hayabusa is dead. Long live the 2008 Hayabusa! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/27047-suzuki-hayabusa-dead-long-live-2008-hayabusa.html)

A decade after it blasted into the limelight taking the biking world by storm, the Suzuki Hayabusa has received it's first real update. With the advent of Kawasaki's ZZR/ZX1400, the game was raised, and with only 2 players in it, Suzuki was not happy playing second fiddle again.

Though the 'busa still more than held its own against the new competition, and better in some respects as per reports, the superbike world is always after the newest, meanest bike, and a 10 year old bike which has not undergone any change except for some paint/sticker jobs does not bring prospective customers into the showroom.

So Suzuki have now announced their answer to the ZZR1400. The 2008 Hayabusa was officially launched recently with some styling updates (to make it uglier IMO), a slight (41cc) increase in cubic capacity, a sprinkling of exotic metals inside the engine, a higher compression ratio (12.5:1), twin injectors for each cylinder, a GSXR style power mode switch to change the ECU maps between one of 3 pre-set modes that vary the power available.

The chassis boasts a longer wheelbase, better USD forks and rear shock, radial mounted front brakes and a larger rear brake, and minor changes to the rear subframe.

Claimed power is up by about 12% they say, to 191 horsepower, which would equate to about 175bhp at the wheel, give or take. However the one aspect that hopefully doesn't change (for the quest for higher peak HP figures) is the torque. The 'busa was a favorite for its train like ability to pull hard in any gear and at any speed. This is one area where the old 'busa outperformed the new ZZR1400 as well.

I also believe this is simply a stop-gap measure from Suzuki to bide some more time before they get a completely new beast to do battle. I can't wait for that!

Some pics of the new 'busa

EEW! I dont like the fairing, it seems odd. Come on, I expected from Suzuki than just 41CC.

Quote:

Rtech
I also believe this is simply a stop-gap measure from Suzuki to bide some more time before they get a completely new beast to do battle. I can't wait for that!
Well, but wouldnt that be wasting time and money? I mean, why look for an intermediate when you can invest those resources on the new machine.

the new one looks softer, the old was ugly and thats what i liked and all the power (i guess) was in the unrestricted 99 models pre 2000 and that machine will be more than competition for either the z14 or the 2008 busa. my experience.

it's still ugly as hell

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 518575)
Well, but wouldnt that be wasting time and money? I mean, why look for an intermediate when you can invest those resources on the new machine.

Suzuki would hardly be wasting their money with these minor changes. Fairing and headlight design changes would not cost much. Changes to the suspension are very minor and again, zero cost increase to them. Increasing the displacement by a mere 41cc is nothing (there are aftermarket big bore kits available off the shelf for far greater increases).

So in essence, Suzuki have got the Busa back in the headlines for a negligible investment. Also remember that the busa has been on the market for 10 years now. Without a real change. Imagine the economies to scale on that!

There are rumours that the next busa is going to debut with a 6 cylinder engine that will be no larger than the outgoing 4, dimension wise.

i like it i like it...somehow doesent look as bulbous as the old one because of the sharper fairing.....

The busa!! hmmmmmmmmm :Cheering:
Seems much more rounded than the earlier style..None-the-less..another powerful tarmac-burner!

Quote:

The busa!! hmmmmmmmmm :Cheering:
When i read the thread with the last posts first i thought people were appreciating me.

I always loved the Busa, cant wait for Suzuki to get a complete new beast.

Ahhh finally...I have always lobed the busa for its sheer presence & the new Busa simply makes me feel so oommppphh.

Niki

i say bring back the turbo era....a smaller more lithe motorcycle like a 900 turbo would be much much quicker IMO. But not half as much presence as a Busa.

The new Busa definitely looks much better than the previous one for me. The whole bike looks less bulbous. Liked the new sharper fairing which gives it an aggressive look.

Come on guys!

No superbike has as much name in India as the Hayabusa (Thanks and all the blame to Dhoom). But even my mom and ex-GF knows what a Hayabusa is.

Bring it on, Suzuki...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA (Post 518999)
When i read the thread with the last posts first i thought people were appreciating me.

I always loved the Busa, cant wait for Suzuki to get a complete new beast.

Heheh.. all bhp-ians are appreciated! ;)

Its been a while since we saw anything big from the Honda stable. I definitely prefer the styling on the Kawasaki & Suzuki bikes.. The new Busa could do with a few new color options,I feel.

I like the rear fairing , very purposeful for aerodynamics and the tail lights are like a vintage from the 60s.

This Busa has twin cats and is designed to meet Euro3.

no offence but the rear looks like its stole its looks from some freeway with twin exhausts, i frankly dint expect that.

i agree with rtech and will wait as long as it takes to see the new beast!