Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2024, 19:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Sold my Versys 650 | Which 10-lakh rupee motorcycle to buy now?

I understand you mentioned no Japanese bikes - however do take a look at Suzuki Katana. Inline 4, 999 CC engine with neutral sitting stance and excellent road manners. Though new will be above your stated budget - unsure of availability of post 2021 models in pre-owned market. Do search team-bhp for reviews.
Prashant_BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 12:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Candidly, yes. I’d encourage you to think through this list and perhaps break it up into the ‘non-negotiable’ conditions and the ‘good to have’ ones. That might help you broaden your option list a bit more.

”Should not be too much of a downgrade”: That rules out the 457. As does perhaps the unknown on maintenance.

From the above shortlist of two, a sparingly used Street Triple R would suit your requirements quite well. You could also consider the Trident 660 perhaps. Again a nice enough motorcycle in its own right but the Street Triple will just be much nicer if you can snare a good one.

If you are open to classics you could also consider the classics range from Triumph. They’re heavier than the above two but not top heavy. You’ll again need to go slightly used to make it fit in 10 lakh.

I can’t think of much else from your listed requirements, which applied strictly rule out most other options.
Thank you for suggestions! I find trident very diminutive, I would like to own pre-owned S triple over new Trident. Not sure if Triumph classics would fit in my budget except may be used Street Twin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Aprilia RS457 may run into issues during servicing and spares because they don’t have market penetration for the foreseeable future.

Street Triple while being a huge upgrade to your Versys power wise will also be a huge downgrade comfort wise. The rider triangle is decently committed and could get cramped which will not suit you either. I have owned this bike hence speak from ownership experience.

I would suggest a brand new Kawasaki Ninja 500 (forget your no Japanese clause) which has just been launched and will fit in your budget. It will not be too much of a downgrade power wise because it’s much lighter than the Versys 650 (~170 kgs versus ~230 kgs) and power delivery should be more direct. It should be comfortable to ride and own with Kawasaki service which should be better than Triumph and surely Aprilia.

Take a test ride with an open mind and see if it floats your boat. All the best.

Cheers
Thank you for your suggestions! I am surprised to read S triple rider triangle is committed. I thought being a naked, it will be relaxed. Ninja 500 again not sure, parallel twin from Kawasaki. I find this engine perfect and boring at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
How about the Triumph Trident 660 or any of the other 660 triples (Tiger, Daytona) from Triumph? I know service is a hit or miss, but this will be the ideal upgrade given your constraints.

If not that, also consider the Honda Transalp or the CBR650R. The latter is a bit long in the tooth now, but given that it's a Honda inline 4, should be a decent upgrade. Another wild card can be the Kawi Z900, provided your no Japanese caveat is flexible.
Thank you for your suggestions! May be I will test ride Trident but as I stated earlier, used S triple interests me. Transalp - not going for ADV again. I think they are purpose built for long distance touring and for my usecase, it will be an overkill, useless purchase.
CBR650R - Almost don't find this bike in used market. Honda's big bike service stories are something I am wary of. Z900 is again a heavy machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ak View Post
Striple all the way. R is good but if you can stretch a bit the RS is insane. Can check a sparingly used in the pre-owned market too. That bike is pure fun and will instantly take you out of the "boring" feel you seem to get with Versys. I have had experiences with all kinds of bikes and believe me nothing feels as fun in the 12-13 range as the Street Triple. Test drive it and you will not be disappointed.
Thank you for your suggestions! Yes, will test ride S triple for sure. Many options are available in used market too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi053 View Post
If you can make some exceptions below are the two top shortlist.
1. Street Triple R (~13L)
2. XL 750 translap (Japanese & 13L)
Thank you for your suggestions! Don't want to purchase an ADV again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen_pinaki27 View Post
Given your requirements, I'd suggest going the pre-owned route. And within your budget, this baby comes to my mind:

https://nsone.in/bike/triumph-tiger-xrx-800-2/

With a little more wiggle, she can be yours for a brilliant sum. Best of all, you're getting the Tiger with almost all the necessary modifications and accessories at a good price.

Conversely, if you are open to Ze Germans, this BMW, too, would be a delight to ride

https://nsone.in/bike/bmw-f-750-gs/

Happy Shopping!
Thank you for your suggestions! But don't want to purchase an ADV again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Both these options are just as top-heavy as the Versys. Plus his requirements are short breakfast rides and office commutes for which neither bike is well suited.

He needs something like a street naked for his requirements like a used Street Triple or a Trident 660. The only issue is the iffy Triumph service depending on where he lives.

The Ducati Scrambler 800 can also be an option as it's not a tall bike but the Ducati Desmo service is eye-watering expensive and the bike runs very hot.
Thank you for your suggestions! Ducati servicing costs are eye watering. Only thing keeping me away from it. Else as you said, Scrambler or Monster makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen_pinaki27 View Post
Won't the Street Triple be a little "extreme" for the rider? If that be the case, then a used Street Twin or a Bonneville T120, too, would be good contenders in my opinion. I've ridden the former and it was a delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
Since the CBR250r used to put strain on your wrist, I think the Aprillia and Striple will do the same. You may want to consider Triumph Bonneville or Street Twin. In the used market these two will come in between 5 to 7 lakhs. The classics offer you a no-fuss pure riding pleasure, a thumpy torquey engine, extremely healthy weight distribution that wouldn't feel top heavy at all and you can easily flat foot them. I own a Street Twin and I am very happy with what it delivers.
Thank you for your suggestions! Will see if I get any Triumph classics in the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtyagi View Post
As other members have pointed out the awesomeness of Street Triple RS.

I would like to suggest a test drive of the new Ducati Monster. You'll be surprised how much fun to ride and live with this is. Brand new will be above 10L, but a preowned can for sure be found for under 10L.
Thank you for your suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octy9833 View Post
I would second this opinion. For short/medium distance rides, the classics such as Speed Twin/Street Twin/Bonnie would be ideal. They are planted, easy to manoeuvre around, and will make the inner Pokemon happy with their grunt!!
Thank you for your suggestions! Will see if I get any Triumph classics in the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
I would suggest you look at used 850 GS / GSA or Tiger 800.
Thank you for your suggestions! But don't want to purchase an ADV again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin_Nair View Post
While this motorcycle is priced at around 11L+, the Tiger Sport 660 would be my pick based on your requirements. Its Inline 3 engine is full of character and packs a punch. With a comfortable seat for long-distance rides, it will also keep you happy for shorter breakfast rides.

Test rides would definitely help you decide whether you prefer the slightly more aggressive stance and powerful engine of the Street Triple R or if a Trident 660/Tiger Sport 660 suffices your requirements.
Thank you for your suggestions! No ADVs. So as many suggested S Triple and Classcis are the only options from Triumph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant_BHP View Post
I understand you mentioned no Japanese bikes - however do take a look at Suzuki Katana. Inline 4, 999 CC engine with neutral sitting stance and excellent road manners. Though new will be above your stated budget - unsure of availability of post 2021 models in pre-owned market. Do search team-bhp for reviews.
Thank you for your suggestion! Well I haven't seen a single Katana on the road! New is out of budget and there is none in used market

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st March 2024 at 12:08. Reason: Minor typo fix
Old 21st March 2024, 12:15   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Thank you for suggestions! I find trident very diminutive, I would like to own pre-owned S triple over new Trident. Not sure if Triumph classics would fit in my budget except may be used Street Twin.
….
Thank you for your suggestions! Yes, will test ride S triple for sure. Many options are available in used market too!

I know I suggested it as well but personally I think a Street Triple will feel far more rewarding to ride than the Classics. But then it’s a very different feel so whichever draws you more.

Secondly, why are you considering the S and not R. You will easily get a more recent model year and a more powerful Street Triple R for under 10 lakh and I’d encourage you to focus your search to these instead of the older S models.

Of course my original suggestion still remains - you may wish to relax your rules a hint to accommodate a wider selection of bikes in the consideration set.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 12:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions! Ducati servicing costs are eye watering. Only thing keeping me away from it. Else as you said, Scrambler or Monster makes sense.
Hey buddy, I hope you are enjoying your new bike selection process
Just my 2 paisa on the Ducati service cost.

1. Non-desmo service cost for Ducati is quite similar to BMW/Triumph and the likes.

2. Desmo service interval is at 30K kms and is bound by kms, not time.

Just a scenario - Considering you rode the Versys around 20K kms in span of 5 years, it will take around 6-7 years before you will get the desmo service done.
There is a high chance of moving to different bike before getting the service done.

Compare to this, I paid 25K as major service charge for my Street Triple in 24th month of ownership, since it was time bound irrespective of kms.

PS - Not sure on Scrambler, and I wont advise a Scrambler. Ducati is offering some very juicy deals on the Monster. Check out them once.

Though it cant match the charm of older generation, its still quite good. Happy hunting!
abhi_tjet is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 15:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
Since the CBR250r used to put strain on your wrist, I think the Aprillia and Striple will do the same. You may want to consider Triumph Bonneville or Street Twin. In the used market these two will come in between 5 to 7 lakhs. The classics offer you a no-fuss pure riding pleasure, a thumpy torquey engine, extremely healthy weight distribution that wouldn't feel top heavy at all and you can easily flat foot them. I own a Street Twin and I am very happy with what it delivers.
I would concur with the modern classic route. Me coming from the same CBR250R, can relate to exactly how the OP feels about his wrists/hands and exhaustion after making your way through traffic (especially Bangalore traffic) although it was a hoot on those straight stretches and mountain climbs.

I also tested out a relatively top heavy G310GS and I can relate to the tip toeing and the angst at traffic signals or sides of the roads where there is no surface.

I now have a 2016 Street Twin and you can find similar or more recent examples between the 5.5 to 7.5 lakh range with minimal fuss. I now enjoy traffic if I can say that. And also a more practical bike for riding two up with family. I had to pull out the bike from a slight incline yesterday and was really happy I had both feet planted and didn't make a scene. I'm 5.8. And the torque is just addictive to the point you don't bother about the smaller number of horses anymore.
Brio2014 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 18:37   #21

Well, if you like triumph but street is bit more committed, why not try the Daytona 660? It's softly sprung, relaxed ergos compared to street and more power than both tiger sports and trident. If you like classics, triumph have a lot of them, If you are going pre owned route, see if you can bag a ninja 1000, most comfortable sports tourer in 1000cc.
Else you have some options in Ducati too, like the scrambler and monster.
Flechazo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 09:50   #22

Why not try the Z650.
From what I've read I think it might be very close to what you want, if not the exact thing.

https://kawasaki-india.com/bikes/z650rs/

Also, if you do consider, please get it in Green
BhokaliBhopali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 20:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Hey buddy, I hope you are enjoying your new bike selection process
Just my 2 paisa on the Ducati service cost.

1. Non-desmo service cost for Ducati is quite similar to BMW/Triumph and the likes.

2. Desmo service interval is at 30K kms and is bound by kms, not time.

Just a scenario - Considering you rode the Versys around 20K kms in span of 5 years, it will take around 6-7 years before you will get the desmo service done.
There is a high chance of moving to different bike before getting the service done.

Compare to this, I paid 25K as major service charge for my Street Triple in 24th month of ownership, since it was time bound irrespective of kms.

PS - Not sure on Scrambler, and I wont advise a Scrambler. Ducati is offering some very juicy deals on the Monster. Check out them once.

Though it cant match the charm of older generation, its still quite good. Happy hunting!
Thank you for giving me perspective and servicing costs here! Makes me happy to consider Ducatis in my shortlist !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brio2014 View Post
I would concur with the modern classic route. Me coming from the same CBR250R, can relate to exactly how the OP feels about his wrists/hands and exhaustion after making your way through traffic (especially Bangalore traffic) although it was a hoot on those straight stretches and mountain climbs.

I also tested out a relatively top heavy G310GS and I can relate to the tip toeing and the angst at traffic signals or sides of the roads where there is no surface.

I now have a 2016 Street Twin .
Good to here similar experience as mine from a fellow rider! Am definitely considering Triumph classics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flechazo View Post
Well, if you like triumph but street is bit more committed, why not try the Daytona 660? It's softly sprung, relaxed ergos compared to street and more power than both tiger sports and trident. If you like classics, triumph have a lot of them, If you are going pre owned route, see if you can bag a ninja 1000, most comfortable sports tourer in 1000cc.
Thank you! Isn't Daytona more committed than Street triple? Ninja1000 though is a good bike, is heavy for my use case. Also there are hardly any Daytonas in used market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhokaliBhopali View Post
Why not try the Z650.
From what I've read I think it might be very close to what you want, if not the exact thing.

https://kawasaki-india.com/bikes/z650rs/

Also, if you do consider, please get it in Green
Thank you, I agree Z650rs suits my use case and looks great in green. But it has the same engine as that of Versys. Which is a bit downer for me.
StepUP! is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 11:43   #24

Quote:

Thank you! Isn't Daytona more committed than Street triple? Ninja1000 though is a good bike, is heavy for my use case. Also there are hardly any Daytonas in used market.

I'm talking about the newer Daytona 660. The old Daytona 675 is a supersport. 660 seems more relaxed, and suspension tuning is also said to be softer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks