Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2008, 14:27   #841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
That figure that you quoted is old. He had 7 bikes when he was new to the team. Those included 2 Rd 350's which he doesn't let anyone touch. He will allow people to ride the SBK's but not those. I'm pretty sure he has added only imported bikes to the collection after that. He bought a Harley Fat Boy some months back from a dealer here. The Ducati must be his newest bike.

Btw, I have never seen the list of his bikes on the forum. Do you know which thread that is?
that is the figure i had read. dont know the current count though. he would have added imported bikes but the indian bikes must have been given to him as he was brand ambassador for honda i think, the others people would have gifted him as usually happens when you do their advertisments. i know this for sure as we have gone through it.
the Harley is almost a year old or maybe a little more i remember seeing it on the news, after he had won some match and gone to Ranchi. the Ducati is more than a month old as i saw the program early last month. He was also shown on a white bike that looks like a Buell.

i was trying to find the thread but dont seem to be able too. someone had randomly mentioned his bikes on a post.
Old 4th September 2008, 14:37   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
that is the figure i had read. dont know the current count though. he would have added imported bikes but the indian bikes must have been given to him as he was brand ambassador for honda i think, the others people would have gifted him as usually happens when you do their advertisments. i know this for sure as we have gone through it.
the Harley is almost a year old or maybe a little more i remember seeing it on the news, after he had won some match and gone to Ranchi. the Ducati is more than a month old as i saw the program early last month. He was also shown on a white bike that looks like a Buell.

i was trying to find the thread but dont seem to be able too. someone had randomly mentioned his bikes on a post.
He was brand ambassador for TVS. You'll see the sticker on his bat. Unless, he is not associated with them anymore. I had seen his picture on a red R1 and had also read that he had an R6. The Harley he bought from here was grey in colour so he might have 2 of them. I remember watching him ride a black ZX-14 as well.
Old 4th September 2008, 14:59   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He was brand ambassador for TVS. You'll see the sticker on his bat. Unless, he is not associated with them anymore. I had seen his picture on a red R1 and had also read that he had an R6. The Harley he bought from here was grey in colour so he might have 2 of them. I remember watching him ride a black ZX-14 as well.
Yes TVS and he had done an advertisment for honda and was wearing a Honda jacket. i think it was before his signing on with TVS as he would not be able to do the add otherwise.
the fat boy that he was showed riding was black, so the grey is his new Harley. the R1 and R6 are with him. the Black ZX-14 is almost 2 yrs old i think.
ok lets try and do count of the imported bikes we have seen or heard with him.
1) yamaha R1
2) yamaha R6
3) harley fat boy Black
4) harley fat boy grey
5) Kawasaki zx 14
6) ducati 1098
7) white unknown bike looks like a buell street bike

7)
Old 4th September 2008, 20:49   #844
Senior - BHPian

harley @ honeywell company!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...alore-202.html

Last edited by manishasrani : 4th September 2008 at 20:50.
Old 4th September 2008, 23:42   #845
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Also remember that a 600cc import is not allowed in India until and unless its homologated OR maybe the ones that come via the TR channel. Homologation is a process of atleast 15 days to one month.
So is yours a homolgated bike, or was it brought down on TR?

Transfer of residence is the most common mode of bringing down bikes with some 'decent' amount of import duty.
But, the rules clearly state that a vehicle can be brought down on TR only if the person shifting back has owned the vehicle in the country of residence for a period of one year at minimum. Even after that, once the vehicle lands in the country, the same cannoth be transferred to another person for a period of two years.

So there is actually no way you are going to be able to buy a brand new clean papers below 800 cc import in India.

Though Samya, i would like to know how you have gone about your bike, i may just be missing a loohole that you probably explored when you purchased your bike.

manson.
Old 5th September 2008, 00:26   #846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
So is yours a homolgated bike, or was it brought down on TR?

Transfer of residence is the most common mode of bringing down bikes with some 'decent' amount of import duty.
But, the rules clearly state that a vehicle can be brought down on TR only if the person shifting back has owned the vehicle in the country of residence for a period of one year at minimum. Even after that, once the vehicle lands in the country, the same cannoth be transferred to another person for a period of two years.

So there is actually no way you are going to be able to buy a brand new clean papers below 800 cc import in India.

Though Samya, i would like to know how you have gone about your bike, i may just be missing a loohole that you probably explored when you purchased your bike.

manson.
. TR has been banned for a while now. so how could it be possible to bring it down on TR anymore.
Old 5th September 2008, 03:02   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
. TR has been banned for a while now. so how could it be possible to bring it down on TR anymore.
Who told you TR is banned? You can get the bike down from there like manson has mentioned in the previous post.
Old 5th September 2008, 03:12   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Who told you TR is banned? You can get the bike down from there like manson has mentioned in the previous post.
for the cars they have been since a long time, so i presume even for the bikes it would be. you are allowed to bring down a car urself but pay penalty on it if it is not from the country of origin, but it cannot be more than three years old. this happened after a few cars were caught violateing the TR rules. i might be wrong as i dont know about the bikes.
Old 5th September 2008, 03:54   #849
BHPian

Quote:
So tell us the story about your bike. How did you manage to get a one piece import 600RR?
Well it was pretty simple.

The guy who had imported it, had got it here on TR. I just bought it from him
and yes..after the bike had been in India for 2 years. And I guess it has a decent duty paid on it too. i.e. 3.85L

So I guess i got the legalities covered, then got it transferred on my name without exploiting any "loopholes"
What more?!?! the guy was ready to accept 100% cheque too. So, absolutely no hassles by the taxman ever.

@manson

I doubt whether the person needs to keep the vehicle with him for 1 year atleast before bringing it down. I think its more to do with for how long have u been there, not how long you have owned the vehicle for. Though I do agree that you can not sell the vehicle here for atleast 2 years after the import.

Any one who knows it all kindly confirm
Old 5th September 2008, 08:54   #850
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

@manson

I doubt whether the person needs to keep the vehicle with him for 1 year atleast before bringing it down. I think its more to do with for how long have u been there, not how long you have owned the vehicle for. Though I do agree that you can not sell the vehicle here for atleast 2 years after the import.

I am certain that the vehicle needs to be registered on the person's name for a minimum of one year before he can bring it down on TR.
Rpanicker (rajesh) had brought down his ninja that you saw pictures of on the riding thread via TR. While he brought down his ninja, another guy had brought down a busa without having owned it abroad for a full year.
He apparently had to ship the bike back to the country he had moved down from, or pay a hefty penalty to have it cleared.

Sometimes, the customs may just have overlooked this clause, but its exists for certain.

manson.
Old 5th September 2008, 11:49   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is true samya you do need to provide proof of ownership of the vehicle for a period of a year atleast before you can bring it down. my cousin had to take his car back as it was six months old. there are ways of going around it in the paper work shown. the vehicles cannot be sold for a period of two years or more. my friend who owns a rental company cannot transfer a car to anothers name till it has completed five years. so i guess if brought under the EPCG scheeme it is five years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I am certain that the vehicle needs to be registered on the person's name for a minimum of one year before he can bring it down on TR.
Rpanicker (rajesh) had brought down his ninja that you saw pictures of on the riding thread via TR. While he brought down his ninja, another guy had brought down a busa without having owned it abroad for a full year.
He apparently had to ship the bike back to the country he had moved down from, or pay a hefty penalty to have it cleared.

Sometimes, the customs may just have overlooked this clause, but its exists for certain.

manson.
. the clause it not overlooked at all. this is the source to get an extra income.
Old 5th September 2008, 12:49   #852
BHPian

Hi,

The vehicle has to be owned for at least a year before you get it . I almost got into trouble on that one as I had got a new title (minus the lien) on my bike only 2 months before I moved. Georgia issues a new title without the lien and not a removal stamp.

I showed a xerox of the older title with the lien and my insurance policy for 2 years for the customs officer to be convinced.

I still had to pay a penalty for not obtaining prior permission to import under TR.

Under TR you donot have the 3 year limit on age of the vehicle. That limit is only for direct import.

And yes no transfer is possible for 2 years . stamped on RC book and Passport.

Hope this helps
Vijay
Old 5th September 2008, 13:57   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Hi,

The vehicle has to be owned for at least a year before you get it . I almost got into trouble on that one as I had got a new title (minus the lien) on my bike only 2 months before I moved. Georgia issues a new title without the lien and not a removal stamp.

I showed a xerox of the older title with the lien and my insurance policy for 2 years for the customs officer to be convinced.

I still had to pay a penalty for not obtaining prior permission to import under TR.

Under TR you donot have the 3 year limit on age of the vehicle. That limit is only for direct import.

And yes no transfer is possible for 2 years . stamped on RC book and Passport.

Hope this helps
Vijay
Vijay, can you give us a break up of the costs in percentages that one pays while getting it down on TR?
Old 5th September 2008, 14:50   #854
Team-BHP Support

Lookup Rt's owning a superbike in India thread in the advice section, its got everything on it.

From the thread:

Source: Mumbai Customs Website

Passenger cars / jeeps / multi-utility vehicles / motor cycles etc. can be imported by passengers coming to India only on Transfer of Residence and by other importers as specified in Public Notice No. 3(RE/1997-02) of Directorate General of Foreign Trade, New Delhi, on payment of customs duty as prescribed in the Customs tariff. Passengers, other than those availing TR are not eligible to import vehicles even on the payment of customs duty. Total customs duty leviable on these vehicles at present, are as follows :

Customs duty for vehicles which had been registered abroad (Used vehicles)
Cars:
Basic duty: 105%
Addl. Duty: 24.48%
Total Duty: 159.87%

Motorcycles:
Basic duty: 105%
Addl. Duty: 16.32%
Total Duty: 142.64%

Customs duty for vehicles which had not been registered abroad (New vehicles)
Cars: **
Basic duty: 60%
Addl. Duty: 24.48%
Total Duty: 102.16%

Motorcycles: **
Basic duty: 60%
Addl. Duty: 16.32%
Total Duty: 88.70%
** if brought in Completely Knocked Down (CKD) condition, Basic Duty will be 20%. # Education Cess of 2% imposed in the budget has been considered.

DGFT has clarified vide Notification No-31(RE-2001)/97-02 dated 14.9.2001 that the conditions relating to import of vehicles as per Public Notice No. 4(RE-2001)/97-02 dated 31.03.2001, shall not be applicable on imports made under the provisions of aforementioned Public Notice No. 3(RE/1997-02) dated 31.03.2000. In simple words, the restrictions/conditions imposed on import of car by importers for commercial purpose shall not be applicable in case of the passengers bringing their own car on Transfer of Residence, except that these imports shall be subject to the condition that, the vehicle should have right hand steering and controls (applicable on vehicles other than 2 and 3 wheelers).

Value of these vehicles for the purpose of levy of customs duty is CIF value, where C stands for the cost of the goods, I is the insurance and F is the freight. Cost in the case of new vehicle is the transaction value between the seller and the buyer. However in the case of old and used vehicles, cost is arrived at by taking value of the vehicle in year of manufacture and after allowing depreciation at the following rates.

(i) For every quarter during 1st year - 4%
(ii) For every quarter during 2nd year - 3%
(iii) For every quarter during 3rd year - 2.5%
(iv) For every quarter during 4th year - 2%
and thereafter subject to a maximum depreciation of 70%

manson.
Old 5th September 2008, 15:08   #855
Senior - BHPian

The duties for a direct import bikes are more these days. Not just 88.70%. Isn't it in the region of 110%?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks