Team-BHP - Getting to know the VFR better.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Getting to know the VFR better. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/31229-getting-know-vfr-better-3.html)

Great way to spend a Sunday Robin :)

It was really nice to read through it. Robin do you also perform basic Servicing on Bike like changing oil, Cleaning & replacing filters? If yes then do post with pics when you do it next time. We had a similar thread on xBhp which was quite informative.

I will PM you the link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prabhu
BTW where do you source your tires from? My current Metlezers are soft hispeed compounds. I am thinking of replacing them with slightly tougher touring tires with more aggressive treads that can give me some bite on gravel/sand/mud.. Any ideas?

there are a lot of dealers here that sell tyres. I'm looking to buy a set of Bridgestone BT020 or 021's ST tyres. Far better for my kind of riding than all out sports tyres. Which tyres do you have on? No street tyre will give you bite on gravel/sand! For that you need a knobby!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower
How do you guys deal with all the muck that gets thorwn into the engine and radiator. Superbikes usually have very short front mudguards that dont come all the way down in the back and no provision for mudflaps.

This is only really a problem during the monsoons. The rest of the time, it's not bad. A decent wash is enough to clear out the gunk. Advantage of the VFR's side mounted radiators is that they are well protected from all this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunny
Lil OT : saw a GSXR1000 with a short can, a black BlackBird and a 954 heading towards Palm beach from CBD this sunday morning at around 7:45amish.. ne idea who they were?

No idea. Maybe it was anku?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerard
H'ver I know I'm old and all - but I just cant see the pics or any links to them? cant be my eyes!

....But you need to get in touch first right!!!

Old man!! The pics are just fine! Maybe your company firewall is blocking the images? And yes, we need to meet up. 2nd December ok for a ride?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techno
It was really nice to read through it. Robin do you also perform basic Servicing on Bike like changing oil, Cleaning & replacing filters? If yes then do post with pics when you do it next time. We had a similar thread on xBhp which was quite informative.

I don't usually change the oil, only because I have no place to toss the used oil. Filters etc are a DIY job ofcourse, and so is almost everything else. You just need the right tools and a decent work area. I am lacking the latter though.

I did go through the section on xbhp. Very informative.

Since the title of this thread is "getting to know the VFR better", I must share this most unusual of stories with you'll.

So I meet up with the Yeti last night. He lays eyes on my bike for the first time. We head off down the road to meet up with some other guys, Yeti ridding pillion (yes, hard to believe but its true) when he looks over my shoulder and tells me that he has ridden a similar red VFR many years ago. Interesting I thought. He tells me the bike he rode was from Bandra itself. I casually ask his friends name.

When he mentions the name, I almost slam the brakes on! What! That's the original owner of my bike! He was the original person who brought the bike into India and who's name was first on the RC book!

We're both shocked and laughing! What a small world! Sam takes out his blueberry and checks to see if he still has his friends number. We are still riding at this time. He does have the number. Turns out the guy is indeed at home, and what's more ironic is that his house is just 2 corners away from where we were at that moment. Sam tells him to come down as he wants to meet him.

We pull into the building gate. it must have been around 11pm. We park the bike right at the entrance, expecting to see a most surprised individual walk out of the lift. But he knew exactly what lay in store for him as soon as he heard the VFR enter the gates! He was as shocked as we were. Here we are, an old friend of Sam's, someone who he probably hasn't spoken too in a long time, and me, a total stranger, standing next to the bike that he brought into the country many years ago, brand new. It was really a surreal moment!

We then get into conversation about how the bike was brought into India. Apparently the bike was purchased brand spanking new, and shipped to India from Japan, via the Honda dealer in Dubai. The bike arrived in a huge crate. The crate was brought to his house on a fine new years day, with all his friends accompanying him for the grand opening. As was the norm, they expected to see a bike that was in pieces and needed assembling. Some of them brought along their tools as well to help out. Sam was also present at that time.

They go on to tell me that when the crate was opened, everyone was shocked to see the bike completely intact, save for the mirrors and windscreen which were removed. That was unheard off! All that was needed was oil, coolant and fuel, and she was ready to ride! Sam tells me that he was the third person to ride this bike.

The bike was hardly used as the owner worked overseas. In all his years of ownership, he said he put on only about 3,500 kilometers! He then sold it to his good friend, who was the second and last name on the RC book.

Here's the kicker. Apparently he has a 2 Brother's exhaust still with him which he has very kindly agreed to hand over to me for no charge!

This is seriously the craziest half hour I've had in a long long time! I now really know my VFR, and it's complete history. And I'm glad to say that it could not be any better! I've landed myself a real jewel, and I hope to keep her that way for a long long time!

Team BHP reaches out and surprises you every single time! From Japan, to Dubai, to Mumbai, to Bangalore and back to Mumbai, and the bike still finds it's original owner! Crazy world isn't it! :)

Honestly, it was really crazy. I sat and peered over at his instrument cluster.
And you guys know me and bikes and cars and all that crap. I am terrible at all this.

But I remembered the display of the VFR. Somehow. What a beautiful bike.

And yes, I was there the day we lifted the crate out of the truck and pried it open and there it was. A gleaming red bike that no one had seen before. I remember we were all laughing at my friend for having crated and brought a completely, whole, brand new bike from the Honda Factory. The writing on the crate was all Japanese.

At that time, my friend could have imported the bike using jhol methods. But he paid almost twice as much and got it down officially, full duty paid, no assembly nothing. And we thought he was nuts!

Now my friend Robin has the motorcycle. And as the original owner told him last night - "That's a good bike you got there,man"

taking a leaf out of Honda's advertising:

"You meet the nicest people through Team BHP!" :D

wow surely this must have been pleasant surprise for Robin. Really to happy to read this mate :)

These moments make the ride worth everything. They are just priceless, Do let us know after plonking in the exhaust how it feels.

Quote:

He tells me the bike he rode was from Bandra itself. I casually ask his friends name.
Does the guy live very close to the Gym, near about my vintage?
If so I have more stories for you!! cheers:

And Yes 3rd should be fine! Even before that, I'm game!

small world indeed, made even smaller through t bhp

Rtech nice write up... If and once I buy a SBK you need to give me lessons on how to open it up like that, without breaking anything. Looks like you have been doing this for a while now first with the kawker and now the Viff.

wow that was great to read. :) congratulations on the new exhaust Rtech. But there's one thing definitely missing ......A VIDEO DUDE!!!! c'mon you have to post atleast a small clip of you riding away / driving by etc!

No video/sound clip yet, but just got these in the mail yesterday.

Frame sliders. Hope they don't see any action! lol

Robin, congrats on the sweet bike mate. I know I'm late but what the heck. Nice log and inspiring as well.

I think I need to get back home now and find myself a job in Mumbai itself. I'm still waiting for my jumbo Christmas gift to arrive. Will surely be bugging you for rides.

Cheers

nice r-tech.. so wht r the other goodies in line to be put on ur baby?

Note from Moderator : Please type out your posts with full words as per Team-BHP rules.

wow rtech thats a nice babe you have there. Indeed the world is really small.
Happened the same way when my friend brought an rd350 last yr.

Appreciate your patience dude. Guess you do need to have it when you got such machines. Maybe this thread can continue with more servicing related pics too