Team-BHP - Suzuki to launch GS500, GSR600, RMZ-450 via CKD
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Suzuki to launch GS500, GSR600, RMZ-450 via CKD (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/33812-suzuki-launch-gs500-gsr600-rmz-450-via-ckd.html)

The Japanese major will get models like GS500, GSR600 and RMZ-450 from its stable. It is looking at taking the completely-knocked down kit route which will halve import duties

New Delhi: Having stamped its dominance in the Indian car market, Suzuki Motors is adding power to its two-wheeler business and working on a new India plan. The company — so far a marginal player in the two-wheeler market — is planning to assemble 400-600cc bikes
in India, that could see prices of power bikes come down to Rs 4-5 lakh and make them more affordable for those who love hot wheels.
Suzuki Motorcycle India V-P Atul Gupta told TOI that the company would shortly be sending some of the bikes to Indian vehicle certification agency Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), Pune, for homologation. “The homologation process is likely to take between three to six months and we can expect some of these
bikes possibly by Diwali,” he said.
The Japanese auto major is looking at taking the completely-knocked down (CKD) kit route which would nearly halve the duties, against the 100% import duty on fully-built units. Though small in numbers, the market for 500-cc motorcycles could expand in coming years as income levels go up and manufacturers like Suzuki start local manufacturing that would offer the best-in-technology products. At present, Royal Enfield is the sole manufacturer of 500 cc bikes in India. The company could get models like GS500,GSR600 and RMZ-450 from its international stable. Suzuki India has already brought a few models of its legendary 1300 cc Hayabusa for display which might also hit the roads along with its 1600cc B-King (priced at Rs 10-lakh plus).
Gupta said government’s move to relax certification process for 800-cc plus vehicles (by accepting certification from EU against existing policy of only from the country of origin) would also help in launch of these bikes in India.
But mass market is the one which is going to be bread and butter for the company, like any of its competitors. Suzuki has lined up two new models in 2008, primarily targeted at the urban markets. While one will be in the 150-cc segment, the other could be a premium offering in the 125-cc segment. It is also looking at launching a 200 cc bike, though Gupta said a final decision would be taken closer to the launch. A key element of Suzuki’s plans — which includes doubling of investment and production capacity by 2010 — is the expansion of sales network. Gupta said, it intends to set up a network of 400 outlets over the next three years, compared to 140 stores at present. And, during this period its investment could reach Rs 700 crore while the Gurgaon facility could be churning out 4 lakh two-wheelers by 2010, compared to 1.7 lakh at present.
EXISTING FOREIGN BIKES IN INDIA
CAPACITY 1000 CC
PRICE Rs 10 lakh
SUZUKI’S LAUNCH PLANS IN INDIA
CAPACITY 400-600 CC
PRICE Rs 4-5 lakh

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...1700&AppName=1

clap:

It's heartbreaking that Rtech is not around to share this exciting new development with us :(

I'm sorry for dampening the spirit of this thread, but then I wrote the first thing that came to my mind.
May his soul rest in peace.

Awesome!

GS500: air cooled, 6speed, 190kmph, 51bhp or so

GSR600 ! naked bike! £5299 ( emm thats tad costly),90bhp,140mph (est)

The bikes ("some" of them..., "looking" at CKD route etc) are said to come out by Diwali 2008. That's a long time. It appears to me that promotional reports like these are leaked to media to gauge interest in products, thus helping in actual product planning.

No assurances whatsoever which products will be launced, and when. TOI continues to sell itself for such non articles.

I would be happy to see some larger displacement 'cycles in the market, though the fact remains it is only a matter of time Bajaj and TVS go the same route, and will change the equation fundamentally. CKD kit assembly will never be as competetive as domestic manufacturing, but it is a good step in that direction.

This is a very exciting development. With the big bikes in the foray, the Indian bike market will definitely hot up paving way for other biggies to venture into the aggressive Indian bike scene.But i am a tad disappointed with Suzuki's choice of bikes for Indian Markets.Maybe they should better exploit the above 800cc leverage that the Govt has on offer.All said and done something is better than nothing.

Just read up an article on Indiatimes about this..
http://wheels.indiatimes.com/article...99,curpg-1.cms

Pretty good move! Nice to see Yamaha, and now Suzuki making a long-overdue move to get bigger bikes to India.
clap:

GS500 would make sense in India as a good commuter bike with long haul potential.

What happened to the mangoes for motorcycles deal and Harley Davidson? HD Sportster is one bike that i would really want to see being sold here. I don't care about the rest of the HD series all of them are too big for me lol :D

Thats fantastic news, a good V Twin Mono Shock 250cc bike is now what is required. Any manufacturer listening?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 676427)
What happened to the mangoes for motorcycles deal and Harley Davidson?

Harley Davidson to foray into India- Two-wheelers-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Quote:

HD Sportster is one bike that i would really want to see being sold here.

Buy a diesel Bullet. Its cheaper, easier to maintain, more economical and is probably faster too.

Quote:

GS500 would make sense in India as a good commuter bike with long haul potential.

Quite true. I've been looking at the GS500 for its FE and peppy engine. With 50 miles to the gallon,its definitely something to have given that gas prices are all set to get upto $4.00 this summer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 676476)
Harley Davidson to foray into India- Two-wheelers-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Buy a diesel Bullet. Its cheaper, easier to maintain, more economical and is probably faster too.

Lol.. Hey come on Steer, it's not that bad i know :)

The Sportster it's got a bit of tuning potential to make it go faster. And making it go faster by myself is a bit more involving, interesting & rewarding than owning something that is fast out of the box. Most of the new machines have got top speeds which cannot be fully used on a public roads. And i get high on speeds. But it can't be done all the time. And for me trying to improve upon the stock gives me as much pleasure as riding one at speed whenever possible.

Diesel bike isn't a bad idea. I had even thought about it, but the problem is most of the diesel engines available here are too weak. If i could source a small enough (for the frame) diesel twin/single which produces atleast 18BHP then i would want to try sticking it in a frame.

I hope this years Auto show will be having some tempting 250-500 CC bikes for India :). Launch atleast a V and inline twin followed by V4 and inline 4's 250-500 CC range, enough for india i am not bothered about high end 1000-1800 CC class, cant ride in india and not affordable atleast for me.

SUZUKI WEb SITE : Not Found dont like the looks, looks to plain-jane for a 5 lac bike!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikefreak (Post 675926)
It's heartbreaking that Rtech is not around to share this exciting new development with us :(

The biker he was, he probably has something to do with this launch, was probably downing some beer with the Almighty when he got this to materialise :)
Btw, when he was much younger, Robin had exchanged his kinetic honda for a GS 400.
From what he told me, he had pushed that suzuki on every street in the city that he had ever been to.
Nothing to do with suzuki's reliability, just some memories.

manson.

This is indeed a good news for Indian Biking scenario. I am really looking forward to similar approach from other companies like Honda Yamaha. The pricing too if actually done at the said 4-5 lakh bracket will see a reasonable sale of these bikes