Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2008, 21:44   #1

Help me decide b/w CBR 600 or 1000

Hi All,

I have moved to US on my work 6 months and since then I have been thinking of getting sports bike so I finally managed to get my motorcycle license last week and also went through a Motor Cycle Safety Foundation course which I was told would help in getting good insurance rates.

I did little bit of research on sports bikes and Honda seems to lead the race leaving Yamaha in the second spot. Please note that I will be using this not more than once or twice a week(no race tracks etc...) and this the condition I am allowed to buy with great difficulty.

Planning to buy a brand new 2008 CBR 600 or 1000. 1000RR is completely redesigned for 2008 and is not in the showrooms yet, you guys would be better updated than me. It costs $ 2000 appx. more than 600 which I dont mind spending if I am convinced its worth spending that amount.

I know most sports bikes are not very comfortable to sit on but looking for something which is atleast comfortable for short distance travelling for rider and passenger .

Thanks,
Harish
Old 31st January 2008, 02:54   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareeshreddy View Post
I did little bit of research on sports bikes and Honda seems to lead the race leaving Yamaha in the second spot. Please note that I will be using this not more than once or twice a week(no race tracks etc...) and this the condition I am allowed to buy with great difficulty.

I know most sports bikes are not very comfortable to sit on but looking for something which is atleast comfortable for short distance travelling for rider and passenger .
Harish,
I would not rule out entire brands based on what you see on TV, and what you hear from people. When it comes to new bikes from japanese brands, especially the models that have been on the market for a while, they are rock solid. I have had a Suzuki GS500, a Honda CBR, and now a Honda VFR. I do love my Honda but there are a lot of really sweet rides out there.

If you do not intend to get on track, and are on the look out for decent ride quality for you and the passenger, you will have to look at sport touring bikes. A lot depends on your height, and your riding style. It is hard to buy the perfect bike at the first shot. I suggest that you go to a large bike dealer, or the Cycle world motorcycle show, and checkout all the bikes that are out there.
Good luck in your cycle hunt,
-Prasadee
Old 31st January 2008, 03:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Harish,
Do you know if you'll be in the US for atleast a couple of years?If not,I wouldn't recommend a new bike.
I'm in the process of getting myself a bike.I'll be doing the MSF course next month,and hopefully before summer,I'll have a bike.

I've been looking at listings in Houston,and I found many 2007 bikes going for almost $2-3K lesser than the showroom price. I"m talking about Suszuki/Honda/ Yamaha..and these bikes are as good as new. It might be worth looking at such bikes,but if you'd rather get a new bike,then thats entirely your call.

I'm no expert in bikes. Prasadee (who's already replied on this thread),Bhupi ( highwayblaze) and Ananth (ananthkamath) are guys I've gotten a ton of info from. Also try contacting Saravana(tsxei).

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Old 31st January 2008, 03:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Rather than a supersports, you might want to think of a more practical bike like the FZ1 Fazer....esp if you want to take a passenger with you.
Old 31st January 2008, 11:51   #5
BHPian

As you are looking for rider as well as pillion rider comfort, the best option will be cruisers. (No other bike can give you that comfort.) but its a NO to short rides. So, as Mr. Prasadee said, u can go for a sport tourer, like VFR (Honda), SV (Suzuki), Fazer (Yamaha), etc. I prefer SV650 than others... I have ridden some of them, when i was in US of A last time; and trust me, I loved the Up-Right seating position in SV and Fazer than the CBRs, YZF-Rs, Ninjas or Gixxers... And for me (ridden these bikes very few times), I could not feel the difference between the 600cc and a 1000cc super sports.. Both felt almost same (something which I was not able to control )!!!
Old 31st January 2008, 12:13   #6
BHPian

I would definitely recommend the Fz1, particularly 2006 and newer. The riding position is a lot more comfortable and the R1 derived engine packs quite a punch. I used to own a Honda CB750 ealier and a CB900 now and believe me , it will take you atleast an year of riding before you will utilize half the potential of the bike. You should be able to get a 2006 Fz1 for about 6k. Additionally most naked bikes are bought by mature riders who know what they are doing and chances of abuse are pretty low

The other option is to look at sport touring bikes, but they tend to be pricier than the super sports.

The other option is to pick up a suzukei bandit. Get a 2000 model for about 2.5-3k and use it till you are comfortable . Once you are , you can sell it off and buy what you really want.

Thanks
Vijay
Old 31st January 2008, 12:20   #7
BHPian

i think the OP is trying to choose between the 600 vs 1000cc cbr. if your new to biking go with the 600 (actually id buy an old 400cc bike and use for a few months before upgrading to a new bike). the 1000cc will kill you, id avoid it till your an expert rider.
Old 31st January 2008, 12:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Think only "600". Remember, you cannot get away from stuff in the US as you can in India(In case you crash and someone else is involved). Even in the US the 1000's are too powerful. Just stick to bikes like the CBR F2, F3 or the F4i which are very rider friendly than most other bikes. Besides, there is no point buying a new bike when you are going to be there only for 6 months(correct me if I'm wrong).

Other than the Honda's, I would recommend bikes like the bandit 600, FZ-6, Katana 600/750, ZZR 600. Unfortunately, the US does not get most of these bikes with ABS like the UK gets.
Old 31st January 2008, 22:05   #9

I will probably be living in US for an other 2 years min. that is the reason I am looking for a new bike. I know its a good idea to get a used bike then get a new bike but not very keen on getting a used one.

Cruisers are a big no no for me and even the showroom guy suggested to go with a 600 since 1000 is way too powerful. Let me also dig into the options given by all you guys and may be hit few showrooms this weekend to find out more.

Nitin, I am looking to get my new bike sometime after feb. when the weather starts imporving...
Old 31st January 2008, 22:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

harish,just curious..which part of the US are you in?
As a general rule,winter is the best time to look for a bike. You can get really good deals (if its a used bike). Not sure how the sales are for new bikes,but you might find good incentives. There's a dealer who's selling all his bikes at $2000 off the original price,as he's receiving the 2008 lot of new bikes..He needs more space in his showroom. Look around for such places.

Also,did the fees for the MSF go up? When I checked 2 weeks ago,it was priced at $190. Did you do the Saturday-sunday schedule?
Old 31st January 2008, 22:38   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
i think the OP is trying to choose between the 600 vs 1000cc cbr. if your new to biking go with the 600 (actually id buy an old 400cc bike and use for a few months before upgrading to a new bike). the 1000cc will kill you, id avoid it till your an expert rider.
In the US market there are no good 400cc sport bikes available. There is the Ninja 250, which is a neat little bike.

OP,
Get the March 2008 Cycle world. It has a comparison of CBR600RR with the YZF R6.
Old 31st January 2008, 22:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Kawasaki ZZR-600 is another really good bike. Sports cruiser & a good sports bike. Raw power when you need,or a sedate bike while doing 70mph on the freeway.
Old 31st January 2008, 23:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Harish,
I would not rule out entire brands based on what you see on TV, and what you hear from people. When it comes to new bikes from japanese brands, especially the models that have been on the market for a while, they are rock solid.
I'll totally vouch for what prasadee says Harish
. Infact you might also consider saving some cash for a year or two old used motorcycles. I've owned two motorcycles here - Suzuki Katana 600 and a GSXR-1000 (both used) and have not issues with them. Also if comfort is anywhere in your need list forget crotch rockets (moderators ...thats what they call them here, not foul language). You might also considera a VFR 800 the kind that prasadee has. I'm sure none of these 4 cyl or even big v-twins will disappoint you AT ALL.
Good luck, ride safe and ALWAYS wear protective gear.

Last edited by highwayblaze : 31st January 2008 at 23:47.
Old 1st February 2008, 01:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Harish,to give you an idea,I looked up some bikes in Houston.
Going by a 2-3 year old bike,you'll easily save a good chunk of money.

(Bhupi,Ananth & Prasadee, you guys would be able to throw some light on used bikes).
2006 SUZUKI SV650

*********Raven r6 ***** real head turner

2005 GSXR 750 LOW MILES Great Condition $6400 OBO

2002 Honda Cbr 600-F4i - The Woodlands Texas Cars / Boats / RV's Classifieds on Woodlands Online

Excellent Sport Bike - The Woodlands Texas Cars / Boats / RV's Classifieds on Woodlands Online
Old 1st February 2008, 02:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

In '05 my friend bought an '02 VTX 1800 and has never had any problems with it. Hasnt even changed the clutch plates since he got it. He lives in Fremont, CA and rides pretty regularly to work. These japanese bikes are bullet proof! Especially Honda's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks